PDA

View Full Version : Local Tackle Shop

alwayfishking
March 23rd, 2004, 04:18 PM
Well I have read here about supporting your local tackle shop as oppsoed
to shopping the big chain stores and have to say I did my fair share, but
the local shop has increased prices so much that I just don't see myself
supporting them as much as I have in the past.

3.49 for a bag of zooms? 2.89 for a pack of 6 gammy hooks?

Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy when need dictates or when I need
certain items where price is not that much of a difference, or when I can't
wait for shipping... but paying such a difference on certain items just
doesnt make sense. IMO.

I asked them about getting some line in and was quoted a price of 5 bucks
more a spool and I was looking for 4 spools!! I explained that it was too
much and just got the old shoulder shrug and a thats what it sells for now.
Maybe just one bad store here..maybe not

Bob La Londe
March 23rd, 2004, 04:53 PM
"alwayfishking" > wrote in message
> Well I have read here about supporting your local tackle shop as oppsoed
> to shopping the big chain stores and have to say I did my fair share, but
> the local shop has increased prices so much that I just don't see myself
> supporting them as much as I have in the past.
>
> 3.49 for a bag of zooms? 2.89 for a pack of 6 gammy hooks?
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy when need dictates or when I need
> certain items where price is not that much of a difference, or when I
can't
> wait for shipping... but paying such a difference on certain items just
> doesnt make sense. IMO.
>
> I asked them about getting some line in and was quoted a price of 5 bucks
> more a spool and I was looking for 4 spools!! I explained that it was too
> much and just got the old shoulder shrug and a thats what it sells for
now.
> Maybe just one bad store here..maybe not

Part of the problem is that Bass Pro, Cabelas, and Wal-Mart control so much
of the market share that they can dictate to manufacturers how they will
sell their product, and quite often what they will pay for it. This has
multiple affects. First off the simple handling costs of sending smaller
quantities of a product to an independent tackle shop are higher so from
that alone the tackle shop can't buy at the same price. On top of that even
if they buy hundreds or thousands of an item they still will not get the
same cost price as Wally World because they can't exert the pressure on the
manufacture that the big boxes or mail order outfits can.

If an independent tackle store is unhappy with the price or service of a
particular manufacturer they have no leverage to use.

On top of that the tackle shop has to make a living off of his selection.
He doesn't have the option of having several million dollars of inventory on
hand to meet your needs. Quite often simply to keep the doors open an
independent tackle shop owner is working the cash register himself .

The other side of that is that nobody from Bass Pro has ever taken me
fishing or told me about a hot spot on the river. None of them fish where I
fish, and if they have prostaff that do they certainly never helped me to
figure out how the seasons, waterflow, and weather affect the local fish.

I admit I buy some stuff from BPS, and Cabelas, and even very rarely from
Wally World, but I much prefer to find what I need at Sportsmen's Hide-A-Way
or at Davidson Marine. And, YES, I do pay a little more.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

John Kerr
March 23rd, 2004, 06:36 PM
I do almost all of my shopping locally...to support the community. If I
buy tackle, it is from the local shops...we have some good ones around
here! Value is not always in the dollar saved, besides that, I consider
the efforts of the local merchants to serve me, a "frienship" thing!
Nothing wrong with saving a dollar, but I look at the overall value, and
sometimes it's an intangible thing. jmo
JK

alwayfishking
March 23rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
again, paying a little more would be ok but it's getting ridiculous and this
particular shop does not have a happy face there at all.
"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> I do almost all of my shopping locally...to support the community. If I
> buy tackle, it is from the local shops...we have some good ones around
> here! Value is not always in the dollar saved, besides that, I consider
> the efforts of the local merchants to serve me, a "frienship" thing!
> Nothing wrong with saving a dollar, but I look at the overall value, and
> sometimes it's an intangible thing. jmo
> JK

Bob La Londe
March 23rd, 2004, 11:03 PM
"alwayfishking" > wrote in message
> again, paying a little more would be ok but it's getting ridiculous and
this
> particular shop does not have a happy face there at all.

Thats tough. Just reread my post and you can understand the why. If you
get nothing out of it then your choice may be to go to Walmart. Even going
to Walmart is better in many way than ordering from mail order houses.
Atleast the taxes go to your state and your community. While they are
mostly low wage jobs, they also do provide jobs in your community.

Maybe you should stop by when they aren't busy and try to get to know them.
They might turn out to be ok guys. On the other hand I can understand where
you are coming from. There is a local gun store where I rarely go because
they are unfriendly at best and often downright snotty. Sprague's. Sorry,
but If they want to charge me more than I can buy it else where AND give me
a crappy attitude I'll go down the street too. Worse, they aren't even the
only show in town. There are three other gun stores in town, and two of
them treat me pretty good when I go in even if its just for something small.
Mesa Sport Shop is one, and I can never remember the name of the other guy,
but he has the shop across the street from the main gate at the marine base.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

> "John Kerr" > wrote in message
> > I do almost all of my shopping locally...to support the community. If I
> > buy tackle, it is from the local shops...we have some good ones around
> > here! Value is not always in the dollar saved, besides that, I consider
> > the efforts of the local merchants to serve me, a "frienship" thing!
> > Nothing wrong with saving a dollar, but I look at the overall value, and
> > sometimes it's an intangible thing. jmo
> > JK

J Buck
March 24th, 2004, 01:38 AM
many (most?) small, locally owned and operated businesses may not know
you are supporting them over a big box until you actually tell them
that. For instance, my local bookstore can't possibly compete
selection-wise with Borders, but they can order anything I want; I just
casually say, "Hey, I saw (insert title here) at Borders, can you get it
for me?"

Lure builder
March 24th, 2004, 03:11 AM
I've been buying a lot of tackle at fishing shows. The bargain bins are good.
The sales reps often give you promotional samples if you buy their product from
retailers at the show.
I don't care for local tackle shops because you can't browse the same as you
can at the fishing shows or Walmart.

Marty
March 24th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Local shops around here have a ridiculously small selection, a little of
this and that little of that. They don't have a complete line of anything,
it seems. Like they might have three packs of Gamakatsus, four Eagle Claws,
well, you get the picture. And 12 rods in stock. And what they do have is
too high priced, such as $6.89 for a Shad Rap that you can get elsewhere for
$1.50 less.

I don't need their advice on where to fish or what to use, I just have no
reason to shop there. I know this sounds harsh, I have nothing against small
business, but my local shops have nothing to offer and don't meet my needs.

And that is a normal phenomenon. Society has and is changing. The corner
drugstore is gone, so is the mom and pop grocery store and other businesses;
there's no reason why the tackle business wouldn't have changed too. It's
nice to romanticize about the old well-stocked store where the
owner-fisherman advised you where the fish were and what to use, but that
ain't the real world anymore. We had stores like that when I started 35
years ago, but they have steadily declined to their now-sorry state.

Believe me, if the small shop had the merchandise I needed at anywhere near
a reasonable price, I'd be more than happy to stay away from the big guys
and give him my business.

MMccoy01
March 24th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Most small tackle shops don't expect to get all your business. They are there
for convenience. They pay higher wholesale prices for the merchandise and have
to mark it up high enough to stay in business. You don't expect to get
supermarket prices at a c-store and you shouldn't expect to get Walmart prices
at a small bait shop.

They usually get their business from the guy who is on his way to the lake and
remembered he ran out of worm hooks on his last trip and forget to pick up more
at Walmart. He will usually pay the bait shop $2.89 for a pack of Gammies
rather than drive 25 miles to Walmart to get them for $2.69.

Mark McCoy<br>
McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee<br>
http://www.mccoysmarket.com

J Buck
March 24th, 2004, 11:11 PM
<pay the bait shop $2.89 for a pack of Gammies rather than drive 25
miles to Walmart to get them for $2.69>

That's a no brainer. Even if the over is considerably more than 20
cents, the 40 mile, 60+ minute round trip isn't worth it to me. Not
unless I can get a whole lot of other errands done in the city.

March 24th, 2004, 11:35 PM
//cut tackle shops
> They usually get their business from the guy who is on his way to the lake
and
> remembered he ran out of worm hooks on his last trip and forget to pick up
more

I go to tackle shops when I need bait. Bait would include shiners,
crickets, shrimp, earth worms...etc.

I figure bait shops will not be pushed out by big stores unless the big
stores start messing with live bait.

I know many bass fishermen will not use live bait for whatever reasons they
have. It looks like this thread has omitted the natural bait aspect of
tackle shops.

Cheers,
Jody

AJH
March 25th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Live bait, what's live bait?

Baitgal
March 25th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Florida Bass?:)

"AJH" > wrote in message
> Live bait, what's live bait?

The Fishing Hole
March 25th, 2004, 01:27 AM
im a local bait and tackle shope and i am well below walmart,,,i make my
money on volume and live bait sales.
greg
"alwayfishking" > wrote in message
> Well I have read here about supporting your local tackle shop as oppsoed
> to shopping the big chain stores and have to say I did my fair share, but
> the local shop has increased prices so much that I just don't see myself
> supporting them as much as I have in the past.
>
> 3.49 for a bag of zooms? 2.89 for a pack of 6 gammy hooks?
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy when need dictates or when I need
> certain items where price is not that much of a difference, or when I
can't
> wait for shipping... but paying such a difference on certain items just
> doesnt make sense. IMO.
>
> I asked them about getting some line in and was quoted a price of 5 bucks
> more a spool and I was looking for 4 spools!! I explained that it was too
> much and just got the old shoulder shrug and a thats what it sells for
now.
> Maybe just one bad store here..maybe not

Calif Bill
March 25th, 2004, 01:39 AM
"MMccoy01" > wrote in message
> Most small tackle shops don't expect to get all your business. They are
there
> for convenience. They pay higher wholesale prices for the merchandise and
have
> to mark it up high enough to stay in business. You don't expect to get
> supermarket prices at a c-store and you shouldn't expect to get Walmart
prices
> at a small bait shop.
>
> They usually get their business from the guy who is on his way to the lake
and
> remembered he ran out of worm hooks on his last trip and forget to pick up
more
> at Walmart. He will usually pay the bait shop $2.89 for a pack of Gammies
> rather than drive 25 miles to Walmart to get them for $2.69.
>
> Mark McCoy<br>
> McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee<br>
> http://www.mccoysmarket.com

In the San Francisco Bay area and inland we are lucky to have some very good
local shops. Couple have 2-4 stores. Most of the merchandise prices are
not very much different than Bass Pro and the other chain stores, but with a
better selection of local hot baits.
Bill

Brad Coovert
March 25th, 2004, 02:08 AM
There is a great small shop about 40 minutes from me in Greenfield. They have
an awesome selection, much better than BPS, etc. on most items. You can get
about every brand made in any bait.

I go there anytime I have a large shopping list or anytime work takes me
through there. His shop is now planning on sponsoring our club, so I'll
probably be going there more for items I know he stocks.

But, I also like to shop online for good deals. eBay has been very good to me
on purchasing bulk plastics or discontinued baits. I also like places like
TackleWarehouse with free FedEx ground shipping. Makes it easy to order one or
two baits that are not easily found locally..no tax, no shipping.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Henry Hefner
March 25th, 2004, 02:47 AM
MMccoy01 wrote:
> Most small tackle shops don't expect to get all your business. They are there
> for convenience. They pay higher wholesale prices for the merchandise and have
> to mark it up high enough to stay in business. You don't expect to get
> supermarket prices at a c-store and you shouldn't expect to get Walmart prices
> at a small bait shop.
>
> They usually get their business from the guy who is on his way to the lake and
> remembered he ran out of worm hooks on his last trip and forget to pick up more
> at Walmart. He will usually pay the bait shop $2.89 for a pack of Gammies
> rather than drive 25 miles to Walmart to get them for $2.69.
>
> Mark McCoy<br>
> McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee<br>
> http://www.mccoysmarket.com

The small shop you describe is the one that will get my business. What
chases me out of them is when it looks like they are buying their goods
at the Walmart down the street for RETAIL, and then marking them up 50%.
That makes the $2.69 pack of Gammies $4.04. Yes, I will still buy them
if I'm hurting and he's conveniently on the lake, but there's no way I'm
driving past Walmart to get to him so he can gig me. If he wants my
business, he needs to make up the difference with friendliness, service,
convenience, and/or superior stock. If he can't do at least 2 of these
better that Walmart, he deserves to go out of business and make room for
someone who can.

Baitgal
March 25th, 2004, 02:54 AM
While Ed and I have been working on the shop opening we have found some
custom bait makers that will only sell to the small shops.
This gives the smaller shops an opportunity to carry "exclusive" items.
Plus being local custom bait makers, they have a good feel for what's
biting in the Texas waters.

"Henry Hefner" > wrote in message
> MMccoy01 wrote:
> > Most small tackle shops don't expect to get all your business. They are
there
> > for convenience. They pay higher wholesale prices for the merchandise
and have
> > to mark it up high enough to stay in business. You don't expect to get
> > supermarket prices at a c-store and you shouldn't expect to get Walmart
prices
> > at a small bait shop.
> >
> > They usually get their business from the guy who is on his way to the
lake and
> > remembered he ran out of worm hooks on his last trip and forget to pick
up more
> > at Walmart. He will usually pay the bait shop $2.89 for a pack of
Gammies
> > rather than drive 25 miles to Walmart to get them for $2.69.
> >
> > Mark McCoy<br>
> > McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee<br>
> > http://www.mccoysmarket.com
>
> The small shop you describe is the one that will get my business. What
> chases me out of them is when it looks like they are buying their goods
> at the Walmart down the street for RETAIL, and then marking them up 50%.
> That makes the $2.69 pack of Gammies $4.04. Yes, I will still buy them
> if I'm hurting and he's conveniently on the lake, but there's no way I'm
> driving past Walmart to get to him so he can gig me. If he wants my
> business, he needs to make up the difference with friendliness, service,
> convenience, and/or superior stock. If he can't do at least 2 of these
> better that Walmart, he deserves to go out of business and make room for
> someone who can.

alwayfishking
March 25th, 2004, 11:52 PM
are you in P.A?
"The Fishing Hole" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> im a local bait and tackle shope and i am well below walmart,,,i make my
> money on volume and live bait sales.
> greg
> "alwayfishking" > wrote in message
> > Well I have read here about supporting your local tackle shop as
oppsoed
> > to shopping the big chain stores and have to say I did my fair share,
but
> > the local shop has increased prices so much that I just don't see myself
> > supporting them as much as I have in the past.
> >
> > 3.49 for a bag of zooms? 2.89 for a pack of 6 gammy hooks?
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy when need dictates or when I need
> > certain items where price is not that much of a difference, or when I
> can't
> > wait for shipping... but paying such a difference on certain items just
> > doesnt make sense. IMO.
> >
> > I asked them about getting some line in and was quoted a price of 5
bucks
> > more a spool and I was looking for 4 spools!! I explained that it was
too
> > much and just got the old shoulder shrug and a thats what it sells for
> now.
> > Maybe just one bad store here..maybe not

AJH
March 26th, 2004, 05:56 AM
I don't know know where you get this "super lines" will wear groves in
Hardloy guides..Have you actually seen it happen? No one else has...

Bob Rickard
March 26th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Product pricing and competitiveness is an extremely complex situation, and
it is so because all of the parties involved unintentionally team up to make
it so. In other words, it is a mess.

Manufacturers eventually allow themselves to be run by beancounters who
operate out of greed and fear, and who then allow the large power retailers
(Wal-Mart, BPS, Cabelas, etc.) to essentially take over their companies and
dictate how they, the manufacturers, will operate. Yes, it almost becomes a
master-slave situation!

Smaller retailers operate out of feelings of fear and persecution because
they cannot always buy at the best, large volume prices that the big
retailers have negotiated with the manufacturers (negotiate, hell! what
actually happens is that the cowardly manufacturers actually fell on their
knees and licked the power retailer's boots). Still, the few small retailers
that actually make themselves truly valuable, treat their customer's right,
and work hard intelligently with purpose and confidence will grow and
succeed.

I personally believe that the weak link in the fair pricing process is with
the manufacturers. We at Secret Weapon are operating differently than most
manufacturers. We think that what we are doing is correct, and we intend to
stick to our guns and make it work. We also think that our approach will
benefit everyone involved, and that it is good business for everyone from
retailers to consumers.

I have about fifteen years manufacturing experience. I also have over twenty
years retailing and wholesaling experience, from being the owner of a small
independent retailer to a manager of a "superstore." During those thirty
five years, I learned an awful lot. Now I have formed Secret Weapon lures,
and was lucky enough to be able to find a genius to run it. Yes, Joe
Haubenreich is exactly that! We have put our strengths and resources
together to plan what has become the most simple and honest marketing
approach ever, one which every other legitimate manufacturer should
consider.

To begin with, we are taking the honest approach that our business is the
sale of a good product that people will want. Without that, we would have no
business being in business. We then determined what it cost to make our
product and then added a fair profit, always remembering that the lower the
price, the higher the sales will be. The free market and the quality of the
product will show our prices to be viable or not.

Finally, we are making our products available to selected dealers at that
price. We have one price list for all dealers, whether they purchase one
lure or a thousand. We do not offer any prepaid freight programs or any
other programs that would benefit any one dealer over the other (therefore
we do not have to include freight costs in the price). We do not give price
breaks for large quantity orders. We also do not charge extra for small
orders. Hopefully, the end result will be that our customers will end up
being able to buy our products at reasonable prices everywhere.

If enough small dealers demanded this type of fair pricing from their
suppliers, and supported those who offered fair pricing, the others would
eventually fall in line and everyone would win. This looks good on paper,
and we are betting that it will eventually work in the real world.

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

"alwayfishking" > wrote in message
> Well I have read here about supporting your local tackle shop as oppsoed
> to shopping the big chain stores and have to say I did my fair share, but
> the local shop has increased prices so much that I just don't see myself
> supporting them as much as I have in the past.
>
> 3.49 for a bag of zooms? 2.89 for a pack of 6 gammy hooks?
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy when need dictates or when I need
> certain items where price is not that much of a difference, or when I
can't
> wait for shipping... but paying such a difference on certain items just
> doesnt make sense. IMO.
>
> I asked them about getting some line in and was quoted a price of 5 bucks
> more a spool and I was looking for 4 spools!! I explained that it was too
> much and just got the old shoulder shrug and a thats what it sells for
now.
> Maybe just one bad store here..maybe not

alwayfishking
March 26th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Well said Bob.
"Bob Rickard" > wrote in message
.. .
> [...]
but
> > the local shop has increased prices so much that I just don't see myself
> > supporting them as much as I have in the past.
> >
> > 3.49 for a bag of zooms? 2.89 for a pack of 6 gammy hooks?
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy when need dictates or when I need
> > certain items where price is not that much of a difference, or when I
> can't
> > wait for shipping... but paying such a difference on certain items just
> > doesnt make sense. IMO.
> >
> > I asked them about getting some line in and was quoted a price of 5
bucks
> > more a spool and I was looking for 4 spools!! I explained that it was
too
> > much and just got the old shoulder shrug and a thats what it sells for
> now.
> > Maybe just one bad store here..maybe not

QUAKEnSHAKE
March 26th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Re: Local Tackle Shop
quote--
From: (AJH)
I don't know know where you get this "super lines" will wear groves in
Hardloy guides..Have you actually seen it happen? No one else has...
--quote

I have the Fuji Aluminum Oxides guides on a Pflueger rod and used 10#
PowerPro all last year and my guides dont have any groves or noticeable
wear.

Marty
March 27th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Bob Rickard > wrote in message
.. .

> Smaller retailers operate out of feelings of fear and persecution because
> they cannot always buy at the best, large volume prices that the big
> retailers have negotiated with the manufacturers (negotiate, hell! what
> actually happens is that the cowardly manufacturers actually fell on their
> knees and licked the power retailer's boots).

Bob, that's an excellent post and statement about how you run your business.
But what is a manufacturer supposed to do if he needs to get his product
into the big retailers? I have no experience in this type of business, but
it seems if he doesn't capitulate he can't reach a large portion of the
market he's aiming for. I'm well aware that big retailers squeeze the &%*#
out of their suppliers, but what's the alternative?

RichZ
March 27th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Marty wrote:
> I'm well aware that big retailers squeeze the &%*#
> out of their suppliers, but what's the alternative?

It's even worse than that. They not only squeeze the supplier, they compete
directly with him, with their own name brands, and will copy the best
sellers from their suppliers lines without a 2nd thought. I really believe
that finding a way to make it without the big retailer is a better approach
in today's fishing market.

Time was, getting your product in "the book" (the BPS catalog) was a sure
road to success. Now they put it in their stores first, and if it sells
there, they'll just private label a cheap, imported imitation of it and put
THAT in the book.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Bob Rickard
March 27th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Marty, you asked the big question; "I'm well aware that big retailers
squeeze the &%*#
out of their suppliers, but what's the alternative?" There answer is that
there are two "can't fail" alternatives if the product is actually good,
deserves a place in the market, and the manufacturer shows a little
patience. To be brief, I am going to give one example of each alternative
from the world of consumer electronics, with which I am intimately familiar:

1) Produce an excellent product, solicit honest, competent dealers, offer
fair prices to everyone, be patient and support your dealers of all sizes.
This describes Alpine Electronics. They produce autosound electronics that
the consumers want because of Alpine's reputation for QUALITY. They will
selectively sell to the power retailers who literally beg for the product,
but at their (Alpine's) own terms. Alpine sets the rules for conducting
business. The small dealers can still fully compete, and everybody wins.

2) Produce a good, if not necessarily exemplary quality product, and MARKET
it really well to the public. Make the public really want it and maintain
the quality of the product high enough to avoid negatives. Be patient and
support the good smaller and mid-size dealers. Make the big guys want it
enough to make them buy it on your own terms. All of this goes to describe
Bose Audio, a fine company that created and followed this blueprint to
success. This steady growth has also permitted them to greatly improve the
quality of their products and to support the R & D expenses that are
permitting them to become an incredible innovator of new type products.
Again, everybody wins.

These companies are just two examples of honest success fostered by putting
the product and faith in all of their dealers first. We could all expand on
this list ad nauseum, but I am still actually trying to be brief (believe it
or not!)

In summary, both of these methods of operation are based on the same
necessary ingredients; First, the QUALITY of the product offered has to be g
ood enough to make the buying public want it over time. Next, the
manufacturer has to be run by people who UNDERSTAND AND BELIEVE in the
product, and not by clueless beanfumblers who will never comprehend that it
is the product only that is reason for the existence of the company in the
first place. Last, it is the manufacturer's faith and belief in the product
that permits the PATIENCE required to properly build and support the
operation.

Amen,

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

"Marty" > wrote in message

> Bob Rickard > wrote in message
> .. .
>
> > Smaller retailers operate out of feelings of fear and persecution
because
> > they cannot always buy at the best, large volume prices that the big
> > retailers have negotiated with the manufacturers (negotiate, hell! what
> > actually happens is that the cowardly manufacturers actually fell on
their
> > knees and licked the power retailer's boots).
>
> Bob, that's an excellent post and statement about how you run your
business.
> But what is a manufacturer supposed to do if he needs to get his product
> into the big retailers? I have no experience in this type of business, but
> it seems if he doesn't capitulate he can't reach a large portion of the
> market he's aiming for. I'm well aware that big retailers squeeze the &%*#
> out of their suppliers, but what's the alternative?

Marty
March 28th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Rich and Bob, thanks, interesting replies and very enlightening.