PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Iron Silk

Aa Aa
March 25th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Has anyone tried this new fishing line?

Its supposed to be very abrassive resistant, but cast very smoothly.

I was thinking about trying it.

Thanks for any opinions!

Bob La Londe
March 25th, 2004, 06:29 AM
I tried some 25lb on a flipping rod last year. It was ok, but not as nice
to cast as Seaguar.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
"Aa Aa" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried this new fishing line?
>
> Its supposed to be very abrassive resistant, but cast very smoothly.
>
> I was thinking about trying it.
>
> Thanks for any opinions!

Dale Coleman
March 25th, 2004, 12:40 PM
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:09:00 -0600 (CST), (Aa
Aa) wrote:

>Has anyone tried this new fishing line?
>
>Its supposed to be very abrassive resistant, but cast very smoothly.
>
>I was thinking about trying it.
>
>Thanks for any opinions!

Hi all, I have some of the 14 Lb Iron Silk on a baitcaster and can say
that it does cast very well. Very smooth and quiet line. It has
excellent response but still has give.

I use the Solar Mint (bright green) with a long 6 foot Fluorocarbon
leader. This line is very easy to see especially in gray fog or
overcast condtions.

Give it a try, I think you will like it.

Later, DC

--
Dale Colemam

Kevin Patterson
March 25th, 2004, 02:48 PM
I thought this line casted well. But its advertising doesn't hold true. I
broke off on two fish and said the heck with it. Abrasion resistant BAH! I
even check my line every 10 casts or so to make sure it doesn't need to be
reitied. I am fond of Pline and I am in the process of testing Stren Super
Braid. So far I don't like it as much as Spider Stealth. But its got real
good knot strength something I've had to watch with the stealth line. But
its not as smooth as Stealth.

I would think it would depend on what you want to use IronSilk for. I
wouldn't depend on it around riprap or submerged rock. Because like I said I
don't think it lives up to its advertising. I fish around a lot of rocks in
Tennessee. It did seem to hold up fairly well in the laydowns and around
wood structure. But so does Pline.

"Aa Aa" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried this new fishing line?
>
> Its supposed to be very abrassive resistant, but cast very smoothly.
>
> I was thinking about trying it.
>
> Thanks for any opinions!

Team Horner Fishing
March 25th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I've used 6lb Ironsilk on my finesse spinning gear and 12lb Ironsilk on my
casting reels. I fell in love with the stuff. It casts very well. I definitely
noticed longer casts using Ironsilk over regular Berkley Trilene XL. The thing
that surprised me was it's almost total lack of memory, even on my spinning
gear. Great line.
-Jim
http://www.teamhornerfishing.com

alwayfishking
March 25th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Hated it will never spool it up again
"Dale Coleman" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:09:00 -0600 (CST), (Aa
> Aa) wrote:
>
> >Has anyone tried this new fishing line?
> >
> >Its supposed to be very abrassive resistant, but cast very smoothly.
> >
> >I was thinking about trying it.
> >
> >Thanks for any opinions!
>
> Hi all, I have some of the 14 Lb Iron Silk on a baitcaster and can say
> that it does cast very well. Very smooth and quiet line. It has
> excellent response but still has give.
>
> I use the Solar Mint (bright green) with a long 6 foot Fluorocarbon
> leader. This line is very easy to see especially in gray fog or
> overcast condtions.
>
> Give it a try, I think you will like it.
>
> Later, DC
>
> --
> Dale Colemam

Suthern Transplant
March 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Won't ever use it again.
It's junk IMHO, because it breaks quite easily compared side by side w/
others of the same test. It does cast very smoothly and has a low
memory...but that's about it.
Suthern
"Aa Aa" > wrote in message
> Has anyone tried this new fishing line?
>
> Its supposed to be very abrassive resistant, but cast very smoothly.
>
> I was thinking about trying it.
>
> Thanks for any opinions!

COOLLURES
March 27th, 2004, 05:14 AM
I agree that I dont care for it either. I used it on a bait caster, a
spinning rig and hated it on both. Limp, it is, abrasion resistant, dont
think so. It broke pretty easialy and would rather go with stren, or any
other line.

I would recomend gander mountains guide series line. Man is it cheep but
holds up well and no line twist either.
Jeff

--
COOL LURES
The Lures that put FISH on ICE!

"Suthern Transplant" > wrote in message
> Won't ever use it again.
> It's junk IMHO, because it breaks quite easily compared side by side w/
> others of the same test. It does cast very smoothly and has a low
> memory...but that's about it.
> Suthern
> "Aa Aa" > wrote in message
> > Has anyone tried this new fishing line?
> >
> > Its supposed to be very abrassive resistant, but cast very smoothly.
> >
> > I was thinking about trying it.
> >
> > Thanks for any opinions!

Aa Aa
March 27th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Thanks guys, maybe I'll pass on it.

RichZ
March 27th, 2004, 06:14 AM
My experience with Iron silk is the polar opposite of yours. I'd like see
it a little more limp, but found its abrasion resistance is outstanding.
FWIW, I liked it in 4 & 6 lb test. Didn't care much for it in 12, at least
for worm fishing. But it seemed alright for jerk bait/crankbait fishing in
that size.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Blueboy
March 27th, 2004, 12:36 PM
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 01:14:47 EST, RichZ > wrote:

>My experience with Iron silk is the polar opposite of yours. I'd like see
>it a little more limp, but found its abrasion resistance is outstanding.
>FWIW, I liked it in 4 & 6 lb test. Didn't care much for it in 12, at least
>for worm fishing. But it seemed alright for jerk bait/crankbait fishing in
>that size.
>
>RichZ©
> www.richz.com/fishing
Found it be as Named IRON SILK...tough stuff