PDA

View Full Version : Goddamn newbie asking questions again...

Likewise
July 11th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Hi all,

spent the day at a secret place up near Llansteffan (called The Lacques,
because of the farm). we had to cliimb down a cliff, and brave a mouthful of
flies...

But at low tide the fish (bass amd mullet) were jumping around us as we
waded out.. The sea looked like it was boiling eventually, but we caught
nothing. Tried every lure we had, bought it in fast, then slow, varying
everything, but not one bite. They followed the lures now and again, but
didn't bite. They were jumping out of the water 12 feet in front of us.

Any ideas on how we caught nothing? Our barbecue was reduced to burgers
from Lidl, sausages from Tesco...

Likewise

(ps: lidl cheap burgers are better than most, tesco sausages aren't great)

Derek.Moody
July 11th, 2005, 08:11 AM
In article >, Likewise
> wrote:

> But at low tide the fish (bass amd mullet) were jumping around us as we
> waded out.. The sea looked like it was boiling eventually, but we caught
> nothing. Tried every lure we had, bought it in fast, then slow, varying
> everything, but not one bite. They followed the lures now and again, but
> didn't bite. They were jumping out of the water 12 feet in front of us.

Had a similar experience on the W Dorset coast. Loads of fish inshore but
(apart from mackerel) nothing taken - though I did pull out of one fish on
a tiny fly.

There are zillions of pinhead fry inshore and at HT there were vast
quantities of seaweed maggots floating too. There is just too much
easy-catch, small, food around right now. Fish can feed themselves by
swimming aroud with their mouths open, they don't need to chase.

Within a fortnight the surviving fry will be four times the size and the
predators will have to chase again.

A couple of locals took a very small dinghy about two hundred yards
offshore to the main drop-off and came back with three bass taken on small
plugs. 3lb, 6lb and 12lb. They simply pottered along 'til they saw a
feeding shoal and drifted through it three times.

> Any ideas on how we caught nothing? Our barbecue was reduced to burgers
> from Lidl, sausages from Tesco...

On that diet you probably won't live to fish again.. ;-)

Cheerio,

--

Likewise
July 11th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Many thanks for the reply Derek, it makes a lot of sense. Half the
frustration with being new to fishing is not knowing why certain things
happen. I'm back up in the area in about a fortnight so will give it another
go.

Cheers :)

Likewise

Derek.Moody wrote:
> In article >, Likewise
> > wrote:
>
>> But at low tide the fish (bass amd mullet) were jumping around us
>> as we waded out.. The sea looked like it was boiling eventually,
>> but we caught nothing. Tried every lure we had, bought it in fast,
>> then slow, varying everything, but not one bite. They followed the
>> lures now and again, but didn't bite. They were jumping out of the
>> water 12 feet in front of us.
>
> Had a similar experience on the W Dorset coast. Loads of fish
> inshore but (apart from mackerel) nothing taken - though I did pull
> out of one fish on a tiny fly.
>
> There are zillions of pinhead fry inshore and at HT there were vast
> quantities of seaweed maggots floating too. There is just too much
> easy-catch, small, food around right now. Fish can feed themselves by
> swimming aroud with their mouths open, they don't need to chase.
>
> Within a fortnight the surviving fry will be four times the size and
> the predators will have to chase again.
>
> A couple of locals took a very small dinghy about two hundred yards
> offshore to the main drop-off and came back with three bass taken on
> small plugs. 3lb, 6lb and 12lb. They simply pottered along 'til
> they saw a feeding shoal and drifted through it three times.
>
>> Any ideas on how we caught nothing? Our barbecue was reduced to
>> burgers from Lidl, sausages from Tesco...
>
> On that diet you probably won't live to fish again.. ;-)
>
> Cheerio,

Cliff
July 12th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Lidls Bratwurst from the cold shelf are also brilliant on the BBQ ;-)

--
Cliff.

Sea Anglers Have "BIGGER" Tackle.

..
"Likewise" > wrote in message
> Many thanks for the reply Derek, it makes a lot of sense. Half the
> frustration with being new to fishing is not knowing why certain things
> happen. I'm back up in the area in about a fortnight so will give it
> another
> go.
>
> Cheers :)
>
> Likewise
>
> Derek.Moody wrote:
>> In article >, Likewise
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> But at low tide the fish (bass amd mullet) were jumping around us
>>> as we waded out.. The sea looked like it was boiling eventually,
>>> but we caught nothing. Tried every lure we had, bought it in fast,
>>> then slow, varying everything, but not one bite. They followed the
>>> lures now and again, but didn't bite. They were jumping out of the
>>> water 12 feet in front of us.
>>
>> Had a similar experience on the W Dorset coast. Loads of fish
>> inshore but (apart from mackerel) nothing taken - though I did pull
>> out of one fish on a tiny fly.
>>
>> There are zillions of pinhead fry inshore and at HT there were vast
>> quantities of seaweed maggots floating too. There is just too much
>> easy-catch, small, food around right now. Fish can feed themselves by
>> swimming aroud with their mouths open, they don't need to chase.
>>
>> Within a fortnight the surviving fry will be four times the size and
>> the predators will have to chase again.
>>
>> A couple of locals took a very small dinghy about two hundred yards
>> offshore to the main drop-off and came back with three bass taken on
>> small plugs. 3lb, 6lb and 12lb. They simply pottered along 'til
>> they saw a feeding shoal and drifted through it three times.
>>
>>> Any ideas on how we caught nothing? Our barbecue was reduced to
>>> burgers from Lidl, sausages from Tesco...
>>
>> On that diet you probably won't live to fish again.. ;-)
>>
>> Cheerio,

Likewise
July 12th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Cliff wrote:
> Lidls Bratwurst from the cold shelf are also brilliant on the BBQ ;-)

Always conservatively stuck to the average frozen sausages! Will try the
bratwurst now though ;) Would also recommend Lidl burgers, 12 for 1.50 or
something. Best cheap burgers in the world :) Just buy the bread rolls from
somewhere else ;)

Still like to catch a bloody fish though...

Likewise

> .
> "Likewise" > wrote in message
>> Many thanks for the reply Derek, it makes a lot of sense. Half the
>> frustration with being new to fishing is not knowing why certain
>> things happen. I'm back up in the area in about a fortnight so will
>> give it another
>> go.
>>
>> Cheers :)
>>
>> Likewise
>>
>> Derek.Moody wrote:
>>> In article >, Likewise

>>> Had a similar experience on the W Dorset coast. Loads of fish
>>> inshore but (apart from mackerel) nothing taken - though I did pull
>>> out of one fish on a tiny fly.
>>>
>>> There are zillions of pinhead fry inshore and at HT there were vast
>>> quantities of seaweed maggots floating too. There is just too much
>>> easy-catch, small, food around right now. Fish can feed themselves
>>> by swimming aroud with their mouths open, they don't need to chase.
>>>
>>> Within a fortnight the surviving fry will be four times the size and
>>> the predators will have to chase again.
>>>
>>> A couple of locals took a very small dinghy about two hundred yards
>>> offshore to the main drop-off and came back with three bass taken on
>>> small plugs. 3lb, 6lb and 12lb. They simply pottered along 'til
>>> they saw a feeding shoal and drifted through it three times.

>>> On that diet you probably won't live to fish again.. ;-)
>>>
>>> Cheerio,

§ t î x
July 13th, 2005, 11:39 AM
"Likewise" > wrote in message
> Cliff wrote:
> > Lidls Bratwurst from the cold shelf are also brilliant on the BBQ ;-)

Bratwurst definately worth a try. I started eating them as they have got about
85% plus pork unlike the grissle of normal sausages.

Highly recommended though is fresh mackeral about 5 minutes old :o)

Likewise
July 13th, 2005, 11:58 PM
§ t î x wrote:
> "Likewise" > wrote in message
>> Cliff wrote:
>>> Lidls Bratwurst from the cold shelf are also brilliant on the BBQ
>>> ;-)
>>

> Bratwurst definately worth a try. I started eating them as they have
> got about 85% plus pork unlike the grissle of normal sausages.
>
> Highly recommended though is fresh mackeral about 5 minutes old :o)

or barbecued bass ;)

just have to figure out how to catch one :(

Likewise

(got my hopes pinned on a week saturday, should be good then)

§ t î x
July 14th, 2005, 08:09 PM
> > Highly recommended though is fresh mackeral about 5 minutes old :o)
>

> or barbecued bass ;)
>
> just have to figure out how to catch one :(
>
> Likewise
>
> (got my hopes pinned on a week saturday, should be good then)

Good luck....I've never caught one yet. :o(

PeeWee
July 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM
When you do catch your Bass send a pic into our site and claim yer Rapala
lures

Good Luck

Pete
( www.castandcatch.com )

§ t î x
July 15th, 2005, 01:38 PM
"PeeWee" > wrote in message
> When you do catch your Bass send a pic into our site and claim yer Rapala
> lures
>
> Good Luck
>
> Pete
> ( www.castandcatch.com )

OK, will do.
I'm probably building myself up for a twenty pounder. Thats what keeps me sane.