PDA

View Full Version : sal****er fish attractant spray

Tom
July 19th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Hi

I want to ask if the attractant sprays are working or not and if yes which
one is the best.
I am fishing in the mediterranean sea

Thanks

Ian Kay
July 25th, 2005, 03:29 PM
"Tom" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I want to ask if the attractant sprays are working or not and if yes which
> one is the best.
> I am fishing in the mediterranean sea
>
> Thanks

Hi

Dont laugh, I've not used it myself but have seen used many times and heard
many good reports of, wait for it, WD40. You know the stuff you spray on
outboard electrics and rusty bolts etc.

I have used many commercially available products, ie scents, phermones, dyes
etc in all sorts of flavours and colours and the only consistent thing that
I could say about them all is that they don't make a scrap of difference, at
least WD40 is considerably cheaper.

The primary purpose of much of the fishing tackle and paraphanalia that we
buy is to catch fishermen not fish, I am as much a sucker as the next man
and buy no end of junk that will never help me to catch anything. I fear
that artificial attractants fall very much into this category, the very best
recipee for success is to determine what the fish are actually eating and
use that as fresh as possible.

Best regards and tight lines

Ian

Rob Stearns
August 14th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Here in Western Canada well known Salmon angler Charlie White discovered
quite accidentally that he caught more salmon with an old lure that had been
lying in bilge water at the bottom of his boat than any of the brand new
lures in his tackle box. Being of an inquisitive nature Charlie sent the
lure to a lab for chemical testing and analysis.
They reported that the largest proportion of residue found on the lure was
"hydrocarbon" which I believe is a component found within (combusted)
petroleum products. Charlie quickly produced a version of his bilge water
and sells it to anglers.

On another tac.....A quick search of the web will uncover many references to
the strange fish attracting properties of the lubricant "WD40" indeed, many
anglers spray it on lures here and claim it works like a hot damn!