PDA

View Full Version : Rapala new swivels & hooks

Dana
March 27th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Regarding the original floaters, shallow shads and rattlin raps.

Is it my imagination or do the new rapalas seem to run a little flat
compared to the older ones?

The newer hooks and swivels must be a little heavier.

Anyone try switching out the tail hooks?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dana

Bob Rickard
March 27th, 2004, 04:39 PM
PANIC ALERT! Could this be true? Is Rapala messing with the original
floaters & shallow shads as Dana asks? These are two of the absolute best
baits ever made, bar none, and messing with them would be not only wrong, it
would be sacrilegious! Rich, you are our source for what's really happening.
Please say this ain't true!

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

"Dana" > wrote in message
> Regarding the original floaters, shallow shads and rattlin raps.
>
> Is it my imagination or do the new rapalas seem to run a little flat
> compared to the older ones?
>
> The newer hooks and swivels must be a little heavier.
>
> Anyone try switching out the tail hooks?
>
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>
> Dana

RichZ
March 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Bob wrote:
> Rich, you are our source for what's really happening.
> Please say this ain't true!

The only reason to make changes to it would be beancounter driven. IF they
were messing with it, would they admit it? Rapala has always used VMC
trebles. Several years ago, they purchased VMC. I suspect they are still
using the same VMC trebles.

I would guess that they learned their lesson with the Storm crankbaits.
Walleye trollers wouldn't buy the "improved" Hot n' Tots, and the Wiggle
Wart became more of a legend after they changed it and anglers started
searching the world for 'original' warts, because the new ones sucked so
bad. Now they've brought back the original. I don't believe there's a bean
counter with balls big enough to screw with their signature lure, but you
never know these days.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

AJH
March 27th, 2004, 11:12 PM
The Rapala Husky Jerk's have much improved hooks (black nickel) and
split rings...the old copper colored split rings were pretty bad...