PDA

View Full Version : Montauk Sportfishing Report 7/25/05

Capt Gene Kelly
July 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM
7/25/05

There are no shark tournaments to worry about for a couple of weeks, but the
shark fishing is holding up very well. A half dozen or so bluesharks is
about the norm with an occasional thresher here and there, which is unusual
this late in the season. Also unusual is the lack of makos.

The local bluefins are still here, in fact there everywhere, with some being
caught on the inshore grounds. However if you are going to fish for them,
you want to run out at least ten miles or so. How you'll do depends on your
luck. Some boats catch and some don't. It's just a matter of being in the
right place at the right time. There is no hot spot; they are wherever you
find them, and you might even run into a dorado-mahi-dolphin, or whatever
you want to call them. But they're not on the pots yet. I haven't heard any
good news about yellowfins or longfins, although there have been some marlin
and wahoo taken out on the edge.

Striped bass fishing is pretty good if you like big fish, but not so good if
you want a lot of fish. The charter boats prefer to troll wire while jerking
the parachutes, but that is pretty tiring when the action is on the slow
side. Single tubes and umbrellas seem to be more popular now.

Porgy fishing is good enough if you are fishing for porgies, but not good
enough if you want to load up on a quick couple of dozen and use them as
bait for the bass. Seabass are still plagued with the dreaded dogfish, but
the fluke fishing seems to be pretty stable now, with some fish all over the
place. Generally bigger fish are on the south side but more fish are out in
the rips, where you have to cull out the shorts.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http.//www.montauksportfishing.com.

--

Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing - 800 377 1197