PDA

View Full Version : Question about a portable fish finder

March 30th, 2004, 01:45 AM
I'm interested in getting a fishfinder, and I really have very little knowledge of them. Right now I'm looking at a Hummingird Mdl, but my question is it easy/possible to make a finder that is not portable, portable? I've been looking at the Humminbird Piranha Max 10 portable, just because I have a 14 ft aluminium boat, as well as a canoe that I fish from and I want to be able to bring the finder on both boats as well as cottages and such. Now the non-portable is about 50 bucks cheaper but is it possible to rig something up in a tackle box or something to be able to make it portable?

Thanks for any advice and help.

Laph in the Ottawa area.

Bob
March 30th, 2004, 02:17 PM
One option would be to rig both boats with the R-A-M mounting system. This
would have a small rubber ball permanently attached to both boats. Combine
this with a portable transducer bracket and a small, rechargeable battery
and you would be set. Another option that would be more compact is one of
the Bottom Line Fishing Buddy fishfinders. These are an all-in-one setup
that attaches to the boat just like a trolling motor with the display on top
and the transducer on a shaft. These use either "C" or "D" cell batteries.

Bob

> wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
> I'm interested in getting a fishfinder, and I really have very little
knowledge of them. Right now I'm looking at a Hummingird Mdl, but my
question is it easy/possible to make a finder that is not portable,
portable? I've been looking at the Humminbird Piranha Max 10 portable, just
because I have a 14 ft aluminium boat, as well as a canoe that I fish from
and I want to be able to bring the finder on both boats as well as cottages
and such. Now the non-portable is about 50 bucks cheaper but is it possible
to rig something up in a tackle box or something to be able to make it
portable?

> Thanks for any advice and help.
>
> Laph in the Ottawa area.

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
March 30th, 2004, 02:25 PM
> wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
> I'm interested in getting a fishfinder, and I really have very little
knowledge of them. Right now I'm looking at a Hummingird Mdl, but my
question is it easy/possible to make a finder that is not portable,
portable? I've been looking at the Humminbird Piranha Max 10 portable, just
because I have a 14 ft aluminium boat, as well as a canoe that I fish from
and I want to be able to bring the finder on both boats as well as cottages
and such. Now the non-portable is about 50 bucks cheaper but is it possible
to rig something up in a tackle box or something to be able to make it
portable?

I haven't been pleased with Humminbird products and would look elsewhere,
Garmin and Lowrance/Eagle would be better choices. Check with the
manufacturer's website and see if they make a portable case.

A person used to be able to buy a case that held the locator and the
necessary batteries for converting a permanent mount locator into a portable
unit. Or, you could do like I did, look at one and then make one of your
own from plywood.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com