PDA

View Full Version : cold water

Lure builder
March 30th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Could anybody give some recommendations on PFD's for cold water fishing. I have
a small boat that I plan on using on a big lake. I'll hug the shoreline but the
water is quite cold. The alarming thing is that you can drown in cold water in
a tipped boat being only a few feet from shore. There can be a reflex action by
the body on entering cold water to gasp for air and in the process take in a
lot of water. I want to upgrade my pfd. Thanks kindly

Sensei
March 30th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Wait until June, save yourself some money.

"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Could anybody give some recommendations on PFD's for cold water fishing. I
have

Guy A.
March 31st, 2004, 12:18 AM
On 30 Mar 2004 21:32:57 GMT, (Lure builder) wrote:

>Could anybody give some recommendations on PFD's for cold water fishing. I have
>a small boat that I plan on using on a big lake. I'll hug the shoreline but the
>water is quite cold. The alarming thing is that you can drown in cold water in
>a tipped boat being only a few feet from shore. There can be a reflex action by
>the body on entering cold water to gasp for air and in the process take in a
>lot of water. I want to upgrade my pfd. Thanks kindly

Wear one of the new lead-insulated cold weather suits.

Sensei
March 31st, 2004, 02:03 AM
Then he would be a real snag.....

"Guy A." > wrote in message
> On 30 Mar 2004 21:32:57 GMT, (Lure builder) wrote:
>
> >Could anybody give some recommendations on PFD's for cold water fishing.
I have
> >a small boat that I plan on using on a big lake. I'll hug the shoreline
but the
> >water is quite cold. The alarming thing is that you can drown in cold
water in
> >a tipped boat being only a few feet from shore. There can be a reflex
action by
> >the body on entering cold water to gasp for air and in the process take
in a
> >lot of water. I want to upgrade my pfd. Thanks kindly
>
> Wear one of the new lead-insulated cold weather suits.

Dan Krueger
March 31st, 2004, 02:31 AM
Tape a rubber ducky to your forehead.

Lure builder wrote:

> Could anybody give some recommendations on PFD's for cold water fishing. I have
> a small boat that I plan on using on a big lake. I'll hug the shoreline but the
> water is quite cold. The alarming thing is that you can drown in cold water in
> a tipped boat being only a few feet from shore. There can be a reflex action by
> the body on entering cold water to gasp for air and in the process take in a
> lot of water. I want to upgrade my pfd. Thanks kindly

Calif Bill
March 31st, 2004, 06:18 AM
"Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Tape a rubber ducky to your forehead.
>
> Lure builder wrote:
>
> > Could anybody give some recommendations on PFD's for cold water fishing.
I have
> > a small boat that I plan on using on a big lake. I'll hug the shoreline
but the
> > water is quite cold. The alarming thing is that you can drown in cold
water in
> > a tipped boat being only a few feet from shore. There can be a reflex
action by
> > the body on entering cold water to gasp for air and in the process take
in a
> > lot of water. I want to upgrade my pfd. Thanks kindly

He may be a troll, but it is a great question! I use a float coat when the
water is cold and the weather is coolish.

Jeff Durham
March 31st, 2004, 05:26 PM
I bought a type III PFD from Cabelas. It is camo because I use it for duck
hunting from a boat on a big lake. It has a mesh design so it would work
well in warmer weather too. Surprisingly, it still adds warmth on cold
days. I spent many days out there when the temperatures were in the teens.
However, I relied on my neoprene waders and other gear to keep me warm, but
I would wear the PFD the entire time hunting.

I will definitely use this PFD when wading in the Maumee River in northern
Ohio this weekend when fishing for walleyes along with my waders.

Cold water is not where you want to be careless. I think if the water
temperature is in the 30s, you can lose consciousness in about 15 minutes.
Not to say that you have already lost any ability to move your muscles. In
40 degree water, I think you get another 15 minutes. There are charts out
there that will show this information.

Jeff

"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Could anybody give some recommendations on PFD's for cold water fishing. I
have
> a small boat that I plan on using on a big lake. I'll hug the shoreline
but the
> water is quite cold. The alarming thing is that you can drown in cold
water in
> a tipped boat being only a few feet from shore. There can be a reflex
action by
> the body on entering cold water to gasp for air and in the process take in
> lot of water. I want to upgrade my pfd. Thanks kindly

Steve & Chris Clark
April 1st, 2004, 12:30 AM
if you're that worried about that cold of water, that much, a "good idea"
would be to get someone to write your name and address (in black waterproof
marker) on your forehead and torso and log a float plan. Saves us and the
fire dept. time identifying the corps when it washes up on shore.
Your welcome.

"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Could anybody give some recommendations on PFD's for cold water fishing. I
have
> a small boat that I plan on using on a big lake. I'll hug the shoreline
but the
> water is quite cold. The alarming thing is that you can drown in cold
water in
> a tipped boat being only a few feet from shore. There can be a reflex
action by
> the body on entering cold water to gasp for air and in the process take in
> lot of water. I want to upgrade my pfd. Thanks kindly

---

Sensei
April 1st, 2004, 12:43 AM
Corps? He would be a marine corps... ;-0

"Steve & Chris Clark" > wrote in message
> if you're that worried about that cold of water, that much, a "good idea"
> would be to get someone to write your name and address (in black
waterproof
> marker) on your forehead and torso and log a float plan. Saves us and the
> fire dept. time identifying the corps when it washes up on shore.
> Your welcome.
>

> "Lure builder" > wrote in message
> > Could anybody give some recommendations on PFD's for cold water fishing.
> have
> > a small boat that I plan on using on a big lake. I'll hug the shoreline
> but the
> > water is quite cold. The alarming thing is that you can drown in cold
> water in
> > a tipped boat being only a few feet from shore. There can be a reflex
> action by
> > the body on entering cold water to gasp for air and in the process take
in
> > lot of water. I want to upgrade my pfd. Thanks kindly
>

> ---

Lure builder
April 1st, 2004, 12:50 AM
Stony

>if you're that worried about that cold of water, that much, a "good idea"
>would be to get someone to write your name and address (in black waterproof
>marker) on your forehead and torso and log a float plan. Saves us and the
>fire dept. time identifying the corps when it washes up on shore.
> Your welcome.

I think that would look like something other than a fishing mishap. No pun
intended stony but i think you tend to go a little overboard with your humor.
I'm surprised you spelled corpse incorrectly too. lol

alwayfishking
April 2nd, 2004, 04:31 PM
Stony that was too funny
"Lure builder" > wrote in message
> Stony
>
> >if you're that worried about that cold of water, that much, a "good idea"
> >would be to get someone to write your name and address (in black
waterproof
> >marker) on your forehead and torso and log a float plan. Saves us and
the
> >fire dept. time identifying the corps when it washes up on shore.
> > Your welcome.
> >

> I think that would look like something other than a fishing mishap. No pun
> intended stony but i think you tend to go a little overboard with your
humor.
> I'm surprised you spelled corpse incorrectly too. lol

Steve & Chris Clark
April 3rd, 2004, 02:08 AM
I'm going to have to start proof reading a little more closely ;-)
Wouldn't want to be one of those ignant type posters, now would i ?
--
Stony

"alwayfishking" > wrote in message
> Stony that was too funny
> "Lure builder" > wrote in message
> > Stony
> >
> > >if you're that worried about that cold of water, that much, a "good
idea"
> > >would be to get someone to write your name and address (in black
> waterproof
> > >marker) on your forehead and torso and log a float plan. Saves us and
> the
> > >fire dept. time identifying the corps when it washes up on shore.
> > > Your welcome.
> > >

> > I think that would look like something other than a fishing mishap. No
pun
> > intended stony but i think you tend to go a little overboard with your
> humor.
> > I'm surprised you spelled corpse incorrectly too. lol

---

Bubba Test
July 22nd, 2004, 07:48 PM