PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a new rod/reel - need opinions

Dre
December 23rd, 2003, 04:01 PM
Hi all, I'm going for a trip to Quebec this upcoming weekend and I'm gonna
purchase a rod and reel. I checked online and the store we're going to is
selling some rod/reel combo's and I'm quite interested in the following
combo that they have:

Rod -> Shimano Clarus 6'10" (I think they made a mistake here because the
Shimano webiste only lists 6'6")
Reel -> Shimano Sahara 2000 or 4000 (I'm thinking of getting the 2000 since
I mostly do trout fishing)

This combo is 160$ CND plus tax.

Is this a good purchase??

Thanks,

Dre

RR
December 25th, 2003, 04:05 AM
This is a good combo...not sure on the price in CND, though, but for all
around fishing, you should be fine with this.
"Dre" > wrote in message
> Hi all, I'm going for a trip to Quebec this upcoming weekend and I'm gonna
> purchase a rod and reel. I checked online and the store we're going to is
> selling some rod/reel combo's and I'm quite interested in the following
> combo that they have:
>
> Rod -> Shimano Clarus 6'10" (I think they made a mistake here because the
> Shimano webiste only lists 6'6")
> Reel -> Shimano Sahara 2000 or 4000 (I'm thinking of getting the 2000
since
> I mostly do trout fishing)
>
> This combo is 160$ CND plus tax.
>
> Is this a good purchase??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dre

George Pinson
December 26th, 2003, 01:35 AM
BassPro Shop price is Sahara = $59.99 (USD)
Clarus Rod $59.99 (USD)

That makes $119.98 (USD)

That should be $157.115 (CAD) (@current exchange rate)

I would think you could do a lot worse. Is it a great deal?
I don't think so. But in the short time you have given
yourself you may not be able to find a better price.

As for the combo, I have a Sahara 4000. It is one of my
favorites and it is 5 years old. It is used in both fresh
and salt water. Have not used that rod.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:01:36 GMT, "Dre"
> wrote:

>Hi all, I'm going for a trip to Quebec this upcoming weekend and I'm gonna
>purchase a rod and reel. I checked online and the store we're going to is
>selling some rod/reel combo's and I'm quite interested in the following
>combo that they have:
>
>Rod -> Shimano Clarus 6'10" (I think they made a mistake here because the
>Shimano webiste only lists 6'6")
>Reel -> Shimano Sahara 2000 or 4000 (I'm thinking of getting the 2000 since
>I mostly do trout fishing)
>
>This combo is 160$ CND plus tax.
>
>Is this a good purchase??
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dre

Ross Mac
December 28th, 2003, 09:06 PM
"Dre" > wrote in message
> Hi all, I'm going for a trip to Quebec this upcoming weekend and I'm gonna
> purchase a rod and reel. I checked online and the store we're going to is
> selling some rod/reel combo's and I'm quite interested in the following
> combo that they have:
>
> Rod -> Shimano Clarus 6'10" (I think they made a mistake here because the
> Shimano webiste only lists 6'6")
> Reel -> Shimano Sahara 2000 or 4000 (I'm thinking of getting the 2000
since
> I mostly do trout fishing)
>
> This combo is 160$ CND plus tax.
>
> Is this a good purchase??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dre

Try http://www.eangler.com They have a closeout on that combo for $109
USD....Not sure of the exchange rate but I think that puts you somewhere
around $144 CND.....
Enjoy and good luck catching....Ross

Dre
December 29th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I did get the rod and reel on the weekend and
I think it's gonna be an excellent combo. The rod is only 6' though and I
took the Sahara 2000 since I mostly fish for Speckle Trout. The combo is
nice and light so if I get a nibble I know I'll feel it right away. As for
the reel it's super smooth. I was hoping to get the quickfire trigger which
this one doesn't have but I can live without it for now.

Now unfortunately, I'll have to wait for fishing season to begin.

Thanks again,

Dre