PDA

View Full Version : The work begins

Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)
March 31st, 2004, 03:44 AM
Started the clean up on the new old boat today. Anyone have an idea on how to get the old carpet glue off the tin. Also, what is a
good paint stripper for alum (this hull is the uglyest blue and white).
I'm going to install a stick steering (what I grew up with in Maine) and I'm looking for some used parts. Thanks for any
helpfull hints. Doc

Babbling Brook Photography
March 31st, 2004, 01:22 PM
If you have trouble getting used parts in your local area try calling
Harry's marine in Quincy MA. located on RT. 3A, This guy can get just about
anything. His phone number is or was 617-479-6437 but I'm not sure if the
area code has changed.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Babbling Brook Photography

"Doc (The Tin Boat King)" > wrote in message
> Started the clean up on the new old boat today. Anyone have an idea on
how to get the old carpet glue off the tin. Also, what is a
> good paint stripper for alum (this hull is the uglyest blue and white).
> I'm going to install a stick steering (what I grew up with in Maine) and
I'm looking for some used parts. Thanks for any
> helpfull hints. Doc

Eric Ryder
March 31st, 2004, 11:20 PM
A (carpet!) razor works fine on the flat surfaces.

"Doc (The Tin Boat King)" > wrote in message
> Started the clean up on the new old boat today. Anyone have an idea on
how to get the old carpet glue off the tin. Also, what is a
> good paint stripper for alum (this hull is the uglyest blue and white).
> I'm going to install a stick steering (what I grew up with in Maine) and
I'm looking for some used parts. Thanks for any
> helpfull hints. Doc

John Kerr
March 31st, 2004, 11:36 PM
Doc, when I was in the navy we used a product called "Toulene" to clean
some pretty nasty stuff off alum on the planes. Not sure what a
commercial brand name would be. You have to be careful what you use on
alum...it oxidizes and corodes with certain chemicals and dissimiliar
metals. Probably be smart to ask an "expert"...local marina, etc. Good
luck on the project, actually sounds like a fun thing...always keeping
in mind the end result, and water under the hull <grin>
JK

\The Shadow\
April 1st, 2004, 02:40 AM
Toluene is a known cancer causing agent. And has therefore been taken off
the retail market.

--
"The Shadow"
Millennium Rods
"John Kerr" > wrote in message
> Doc, when I was in the navy we used a product called "Toulene" to clean
> some pretty nasty stuff off alum on the planes. Not sure what a
> commercial brand name would be. You have to be careful what you use on
> alum...it oxidizes and corodes with certain chemicals and dissimiliar
> metals. Probably be smart to ask an "expert"...local marina, etc. Good
> luck on the project, actually sounds like a fun thing...always keeping
> in mind the end result, and water under the hull <grin>
> JK

John Kerr
April 1st, 2004, 05:33 AM
Re: The work begins

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Wed, Mar 31, 2004, 7:40pm From:
(The=A0Shadow)
Toluene is a known cancer causing agent. And has therefore been taken
off the retail market.
--
"The Shadow"
Millennium Rods
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Damn....ya got me scared now, I used that stuff for years!
JK
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
"John Kerr" > wrote in message
Doc, when I was in the navy we used a product called "Toulene" to clean
some pretty nasty stuff off alum on the planes. Not sure what a
commercial brand name would be. You have to be careful what you use on
alum...it oxidizes and corodes with certain chemicals and dissimiliar
metals. Probably be smart to ask an "expert"...local marina, etc. Good
luck on the project, actually sounds like a fun thing...always keeping
in mind the end result, and water under the hull <grin> JK

Guy A.
April 1st, 2004, 02:30 PM
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:33:34 -0600 (CST), (John Kerr)
wrote:
>>Toluene is a known cancer causing agent. And has therefore been taken
>>off the retail market.

>Damn....ya got me scared now, I used that stuff for years!
>JK

Here's a link to the state of Maine's fact sheet re toluene:

http://www.google.com/search?q=toluene&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

John, if you have none of the symptoms listed, you are probably OK.
If I had your history with the stuff, however, I would get checked out
medically.

Take care!

alwayfishking
April 1st, 2004, 04:12 PM
Gee, I thought spraying some crankbaits was gonna be a project. Anyone
interested in suspendng jerkbaits in your favorite pro team color? : )
"Doc (The Tin Boat King)" > wrote in message
> Started the clean up on the new old boat today. Anyone have an idea on
how to get the old carpet glue off the tin. Also, what is a
> good paint stripper for alum (this hull is the uglyest blue and white).
> I'm going to install a stick steering (what I grew up with in Maine) and
I'm looking for some used parts. Thanks for any
> helpfull hints. Doc

John Kerr
April 2nd, 2004, 12:44 AM
Re: The work begins

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Thu, Apr 1, 2004, 1:30pm (CST+6)
From: (Guy=A0A.)
wrote:
Toluene is a known cancer causing agent. And has therefore been taken
off the retail market.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Damn....ya got me scared now, I used that stuff for years!
JK
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Here's a link to the state of Maine's fact sheet re toluene:
http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dtoluene&sourceid=3Dopera&num=3D0&ie=3Dutf=
-8&oe=3Dutf-8
John, if you have none of the symptoms listed, you are probably OK. If I
had your history with the stuff, however, I would get checked out
medically.
Take care!
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Thanks Guy! Other than the "memory loss" part, I think I'm o.k., what
were we talking about? <grin>
Thanks for the info, on my next check up I will ask my doctor if there
are any concerns. I think all's probably o.k., I used the stuff outside,
and not on a regular basis, but I appreciate the information!
JK

Henry Hefner
April 2nd, 2004, 03:33 AM
I am NOT saying that toluene can't cause health problems, but the EPA
and CDC both say it is NOT a carcinogen. Also, I believe you can still
buy it in paint stores. A quick google found it for sale at one place at
least: http://www.tri-esssciences.com/toluene.htm

\The Shadow\
April 2nd, 2004, 04:13 AM
Try this URL for info:
http://hazard.com/msds/mf/amoco/files/11699000.html

Do you really believe the things that government agencies
tell you. Toluene was known to be some nasty stuff way back in the early
'70's. That's when I came to know about it thanks to Uncle Sam's Misguided
Children .

--
"The Shadow"
Millennium Rods
"Henry Hefner" > wrote in message

> I am NOT saying that toluene can't cause health problems, but the EPA
> and CDC both say it is NOT a carcinogen. Also, I believe you can still
> buy it in paint stores. A quick google found it for sale at one place at
> least: http://www.tri-esssciences.com/toluene.htm

Charles B. Summers
April 2nd, 2004, 04:31 AM
Can you do the Tennessee Titans?

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

"alwayfishking" > wrote in message
> Gee, I thought spraying some crankbaits was gonna be a project. Anyone
> interested in suspendng jerkbaits in your favorite pro team color? : )

RichZ
April 2nd, 2004, 06:02 AM
It's on California's proposition 65 list, just like lead.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)
April 2nd, 2004, 06:24 AM
Heck no. It took me 54 years to complete the New England Patriots!!! Doc

"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message ...
Can you do the Tennessee Titans?

J Buck
April 2nd, 2004, 07:16 AM
<Heck no. It took me 54 years to complete the New England Patriots!!!
=A0Doc>

<Charles B. Summers wrote: Can you do the Tennessee Titans?>

Way to go, Doc...spoken like a true Mainiac (or 'Mainah' for the
outtastaters who like to hear it that way)

alwayfishking
April 7th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Yeah probably, but would pain me to do so, should I give it a bum tail? We
could call it the Steve Mc Nair : )