PDA

View Full Version : Shell Island

Tony
August 20th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I'm off to Shell Island this week. Has anybody any info on best times/baits
etc. I'm relatively new to fishing so any advice welcome. Recently kitted
myself out with 9' pier rod and fixed spool reel - Both Shakespeare. 20lb
line. Is this OK or was I duped while on hol in N Ireland?

Thanks in Advance

Tony

Eric The Viking
August 20th, 2005, 01:01 PM
"Tony" > wrote in message

> I'm off to Shell Island this week. Has anybody any info on best
> times/baits etc. I'm relatively new to fishing so any advice welcome.
> Recently kitted myself out with 9' pier rod and fixed spool reel - Both
> Shakespeare. 20lb line. Is this OK or was I duped while on hol in N
> Ireland?
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Tony

Shakespeare gear is fine and the 9' pier rod / fixed spool combo is a good
all round bit of kit to start on. The 20lb line is a bit on the heavy side
though - you would be better off with 12 or 15lb line for general shore
fishing. You can use 20lb main line but it will be a bit on the thick side
and you won't get so much on the reel. 15lb is pretty standard for most
circumstances.

If your casting more than a couple of ozs you will need a decent shock
leader to take the strain of casting too.

ETV

PeeWee
August 22nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Tony, one of our lads was there last week, see the report here...
http://www.castandcatch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6612 also others going
the same time as you ;)

Pete

"Tony" > wrote in message

> I'm off to Shell Island this week. Has anybody any info on best
times/baits
> etc. I'm relatively new to fishing so any advice welcome. Recently kitted
> myself out with 9' pier rod and fixed spool reel - Both Shakespeare. 20lb
> line. Is this OK or was I duped while on hol in N Ireland?
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Tony

Tony
August 23rd, 2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm encouraged by the catch report and Eric's reply
giving a "thumbs up" to the tackle that I bought. Hopefully I'll land
something.

I'd tried fishing as a teenager, although never caught anything! I remember
spending a solid fortnight on Llandudno pier and nearly caught a
crab...once. I also remember not a lot of fish being caught by anybody, yet
catch reports on the net give regular fish being hauled in.

While on my hol to N Ireland last month, I did actually catch around 25
mackerel from a boat...(Seems a little unfair with sonar to find them). The
other guys were saying how depleted the fish stocks had become since the
'70s. Seems strange to me that Llandudno is the other way up?

Thanks again I'll let you know if the beach barbie is lit

Tony