PDA

View Full Version : will this work?

RB
April 1st, 2004, 07:20 PM
I see Auto Zone, Advance, and others have a selection of gasoline water
absorbent/breakdown stuff. Some says words to the effect of "for 4 cycle
use".

I know Boat US and West Marine sell some that does state it's for 2 cycle
use. And, lo and behold, it's about double the price.

The question I have is twofold:

1. Can I use the stuff in my 2 cycle o/b that says "for 4 cycle use",
without harm?

2. Should I use only stuff that says "for two cycle use"?

Illinois Fisherman
April 2nd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Only use the oil that is meant for your motor. At $20.00 per gallon that is
cheap compared to repairing your motor. I learned not to use cheap oil years
ago when I broke the cam shaft and put a hole in one cylinder of a 50HP
motor. The repair cost me $1350.00.

Now I only use the manufactures brand of oil. I burn up about 2 gallons a
year - $40.00 Compare that to the launch fees and cost of Gas and it is very
economical. And what are you going to save in a year using cheap oil? What
$20.00? It is only false economy to buy cheap oil.