PDA

View Full Version : Strike Indicator

Bob La Londe
August 23rd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Do many of you guys use a strike indicator. In the past I have only fly
fished with a relatively short amount of line out. My best days I barely
had much more line out than the length of my rod, so I really didn't need
one. The movement of the line was more than enough to indicate a strike
even if I didn't see the trout sip my fly off the surface.

How about putting a few black has marks on the floating fly line with a
magic marker instead. It should make it fairly easy to see the movement of
the ling without that big fluffy float on the line. I actually do something
like that with dark colored braided lines when working bass baits on a slack
line. The black hash marks make it very easy to see a movement of the line,
letting me know I should set the hook. I don't see why the principle
wouldn't work with a flyline. Anythign worng with this. Would the fish
strike the hash marks like the sometiems strike a knot? Speaking of that,
What about a strike indicator. Do fish strike that sometimes?

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Ken Fortenberry
August 23rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Bob La Londe wrote:
> Do many of you guys use a strike indicator. ...

You misspelled "bobber" and I'd rather have rdean's
carpet tacks and enema treatment than fly fish with
a friggin' bobber.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Scott Seidman
August 23rd, 2005, 04:37 PM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in
:

> Do many of you guys use a strike indicator.

Yes. A strike indicater makes nymphing much easier, especially till you
develop a feel for things.

If you're fishing streamers, it's not real important.

For nymphing, though, its a pretty big fishcatcher.

Be sure to select a style of strike indicator that you can move up and down
your leader all day long. It's important to have the indicator with the
distance to the fly about 1.5x the depth of the water, and mess around with
that number if it's not working for you. You should also be able to change
the weight on the tippet fairly easily.

Nymphing effectively can be hard work, at least until you can walk up to
the bank and "know" what arrangement of fly, indicator, and weight will
work where you happen to be. I'm far from that stage.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

sandy
August 24th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Bob La Londe wrote:
> Do many of you guys use a strike indicator. In the past I have only fly
> fished with a relatively short amount of line out. ike indicator. Do fish strike that sometimes?

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?display=rednews/2005/08/04/build/outdoors/40-fishing-report.inc

I like fishing with bobbers myself.

--
/* Sandy >--oO0>
** http://rubberboats.com

sideshowhaas
August 24th, 2005, 03:55 PM
This past week I used a "Sacandaga Bomber" (size 10 hook, white/orange
body, sparse hackle around body, dense hackle and yarn behind eye) as a
strike indicator. Attached was four feet of 7X tippet and a beadhead
nymph. This worked very well with the smallies in the Sacandaga River
(Hope, NY). Several times they did strike at the SB but only one
inhaled it. I have used the foam and yarn indicators, but prefer a dry
as the indicator.