PDA

View Full Version : Katrina vs Noleans

riverman
August 30th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Looks like New Orleans dodged a disaster beyond description. Since this
close call, I've been reading some more details about a 'worst-case
scenario', and wow, it could have been a real world-class catastrophe!
"Filling the bowl" indeed. I wonder what will come of this heightened
awareness? Apparently, moving the entire city to higher ground was one
feasible recovery option.

--riverman

Jeff Miller
August 30th, 2005, 01:06 PM
riverman wrote:

> I wonder what will come of this heightened
> awareness?

you have been away from the US of A a long time, haven't you?

jeff

August 30th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Check the latest news. Several of the levees in N.O. have been
breached, the pumps are not working, water is still rising, and the
Governor has ordered the city to be evacuated. It's kind of a delayed
reaction, but it seems N.O. will come close to the worst case scenario.

George Cleveland
August 30th, 2005, 06:21 PM
On 30 Aug 2005 10:04:41 -0700, wrote:

>Check the latest news. Several of the levees in N.O. have been
>breached, the pumps are not working, water is still rising, and the
>Governor has ordered the city to be evacuated. It's kind of a delayed
>reaction, but it seems N.O. will come close to the worst case scenario.

What a difference a few hours makes. Last night before I went to bed
they were saying that there was only one confirmed death and New
Orleans had gotten off cheap. This morning I'm confronted with
pictures of rising water in New Orleans and a death toll that may
break 100.

g.c.

Frank Reid
August 30th, 2005, 06:27 PM
> Check the latest news. Several of the levees in N.O. have been
> breached, the pumps are not working, water is still rising, and the
> Governor has ordered the city to be evacuated. It's kind of a delayed
> reaction, but it seems N.O. will come close to the worst case scenario.

Looters are going nuts and the city is now under martial law.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

August 30th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I heard a little while ago that the N.O. police weren't even attempting
to stop the looting. When questioed by a reporter, the cop said that
the "looters" weren't taking TV's and stereos, they were taking food,
clothing, blankets, etc. He said they were desperate people in survival
mode.

Sarge
September 3rd, 2005, 05:31 AM
wrote: "I heard a little while ago that the N.O.
police weren't even attempting to stop the looting. When questioed by a
reporter, the cop said that the "looters" weren't taking TV's and stereos,
they were taking food, clothing, blankets, etc. He said they were desperate
people in survival mode."

The cops were looting too. MNBC has a video of the cops in Walmart stealing
shoes.

Sarge

vincent p. norris
September 4th, 2005, 03:22 AM
>The cops were looting too. MNBC has a video of the cops in Walmart stealing
>shoes.
>
>Sarge

When I was in the military, half a century ago, an attitude prevailed
that if one "liberated" something that belonged to Uncle Sam, it
wasn't really stealing.

Perhaps that applies to Uncle Wally, nowadays.

vince