PDA

View Full Version : Re: Katrina, etc,

Jeff
September 1st, 2005, 09:14 PM
Wally at EZ Flyfishing/Wilson Creek Outfitters has established some type
of deal for his customers to send funds to the Red Cross. Of course, I
batch deleted his e-mail, so I have no idea what he was doing or how it
works. <g>

jeff

Jonathan Cook wrote:
> Most of the posts on Katrina are not showing up here,
> so I see them on google but cannot post into a thread.
> Wayne and others, I'm glad to hear that you are getting
> good news about your loved ones' health and safety. I
> hope RDean checks in soon, I could never tell if he
> lived near there or not. Our prayers are definitely
> with the people caught up in this.
>
> I'll second Tim's recommendation of donations to the Red
> Cross and the Salvation Army -- roff regulars could easily
> tally up $5K without sweating (not that we should count, just
> saying we could make a dent, as a group). Right now, their
> servers are pretty busy, I barely got through on the SA site,
> and the RC site never responded. Our local red cross told me
> that the 800 numbers are also bogged down, and it would
> be easiest to just mail a check at this point (Red Cross,
> PO Box 37243, Wash DC, 20013 if you care).
>
> I've heard there are already emails out there with fake
> red cross web addresses in them, so watch out for scammers,
> only give through reputable contacts...
>
> Jon.

Ken Fortenberry
September 1st, 2005, 09:24 PM
Jeff wrote:
> Wally at EZ Flyfishing/Wilson Creek Outfitters has established some type
> of deal for his customers to send funds to the Red Cross. Of course, I
> batch deleted his e-mail, so I have no idea what he was doing or how it
> works. <g>

It was something like buy an ezflyfish gift certificate
for yourself or a friend and some fraction of the money
goes somewhere good.

Whatever.

If you want to send money to the Red Cross I don't see
any good reason to involve ezflyfish as your middleman.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
September 1st, 2005, 09:37 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
m...
> Jeff wrote:
>> Wally at EZ Flyfishing/Wilson Creek Outfitters has established some type
>> of deal for his customers to send funds to the Red Cross. Of course, I
>> batch deleted his e-mail, so I have no idea what he was doing or how it
>> works. <g>
>
> It was something like buy an ezflyfish gift certificate
> for yourself or a friend and some fraction of the money
> goes somewhere good.
>
> Whatever.
>
> If you want to send money to the Red Cross I don't see
> any good reason to involve ezflyfish as your middleman.

If someone wants to decide where and by what means to send money I don't see
any reason to involve you as a middleman.

Wolfgang

George Cleveland
September 1st, 2005, 10:51 PM
On 1 Sep 2005 18:12:08 GMT, (Jonathan Cook) wrote:

>Most of the posts on Katrina are not showing up here,
>so I see them on google but cannot post into a thread.
>Wayne and others, I'm glad to hear that you are getting
>good news about your loved ones' health and safety. I
>hope RDean checks in soon, I could never tell if he
>lived near there or not. Our prayers are definitely
>with the people caught up in this.
>
>I'll second Tim's recommendation of donations to the Red
>Cross and the Salvation Army -- roff regulars could easily
>tally up $5K without sweating (not that we should count, just
>saying we could make a dent, as a group). Right now, their
>servers are pretty busy, I barely got through on the SA site,
>and the RC site never responded. Our local red cross told me
>that the 800 numbers are also bogged down, and it would
>be easiest to just mail a check at this point (Red Cross,
>PO Box 37243, Wash DC, 20013 if you care).
>
>I've heard there are already emails out there with fake
>red cross web addresses in them, so watch out for scammers,
>only give through reputable contacts...
>
>Jon.
Already donated to the Red Cross a couple days ago.It took a couple
tries until they could acknowledhge the donation was received.

George C.

BJ Conner
September 2nd, 2005, 12:22 AM
I sent them some money as well. The latest I heard is to invite
someone from NO to stay with you untill things get better. Could be
interesting lots of colorful characters in NO. So far I have not read
that they are screening to let you adopt the family or person you want.
I didn't want to send to much money because there's still about a
dozen hurricanes left in the season.
I am waiting to see who bush puts up at Crawford or the White house.