PDA

View Full Version : Fishing reels-Question

Aa Aa
April 3rd, 2004, 05:27 PM
Okay, what is your favorite baitcaster?

Most of the ones I own are Curados. But I was thinking about buying a
Quantum Accurist to see what its like.

Anybody have any thoughts on the Accurist?

Thanks....

AJH
April 3rd, 2004, 05:49 PM
A Quantum? Why do you want to go to a inferior reel? Most reel repair
guys will tell you the Curado is the best reel for the money..

Moe Conway
April 3rd, 2004, 10:48 PM
>A Quantum? Why do you want to go to a inferior reel? Most reel repair
>guys will tell you the Curado is the best reel for the money..

Really? If that's the case, how would a reel repairman know?

--
The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no
trade-in value.

AJH
April 3rd, 2004, 10:56 PM
Because he uses Curado's after working on other reels...This came from a
couple of respected reel repair guys...

Moe Conway
April 4th, 2004, 12:04 AM
>Because he uses Curado's after working on other reels...This came from a
>couple of respected reel repair guys...

Then any user would know and being a reel repairman makes no difference.

--
The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no
trade-in value.
Good Fishing - Moe
Moe's Guide Service (Lake Okeechobee) - http://moebassguide.com
Outdoor Frontiers http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com/index

Steve & Chris Clark
April 4th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Keep on a buyin' those Quantum's Moe ;-)
--
Srony

"Moe Conway" > wrote in message
> >Because he uses Curado's after working on other reels...This came from a
> >couple of respected reel repair guys...
> >

> Then any user would know and being a reel repairman makes no difference.
>
> --
> The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no
> trade-in value.
> Good Fishing - Moe
> Moe's Guide Service (Lake Okeechobee) - http://moebassguide.com
> Outdoor Frontiers http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com/index

---

Charles B. Summers
April 4th, 2004, 12:30 AM
When I was looking for a new baitcaster, I was steered away from the
Accurist from people here. They suggested the Curado, and I liked them so
much I now own 5 of them.

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

"Aa Aa" > wrote in message
> Okay, what is your favorite baitcaster?
>
> Most of the ones I own are Curados. But I was thinking about buying a
> Quantum Accurist to see what its like.
>
> Anybody have any thoughts on the Accurist?
>
> Thanks....

\The Shadow\
April 4th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Only a "couple" of "respectable" repairmen were surveyed.My that was a hell
of a poll o:)

--
"The Shadow"
Millennium Rods
"Moe Conway" > wrote in message
> >Because he uses Curado's after working on other reels...This came from a
> >couple of respected reel repair guys...
> >

> Then any user would know and being a reel repairman makes no difference.
>
> --
> The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no
> trade-in value.
> Good Fishing - Moe
> Moe's Guide Service (Lake Okeechobee) - http://moebassguide.com
> Outdoor Frontiers http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com/index

J Buck
April 4th, 2004, 01:29 AM
<Only a "couple" of "respectable" repairmen were surveyed.My that was a
hell of a poll o:)>

<Because he uses Curado's after working on other reels...This came from
a couple of respected reel repair guys...>

<Then any user would know and being a reel repairman makes no
difference>

Not sure I understand the criticism. If someone asks an opinion of
something in whatever one's field is, why wouldn't the assumption be
that he would value it?

AJH
April 4th, 2004, 02:11 AM
The reason the reel repair guys used Shimano is they didn't want to work
on their own reels after working on others all. the time...Not my words,
just what they said. I don't use Shimano reels or the ones starting with
a "Q" Maybe if reel guys don't know about reels, guides don't know how
to fish and rod makers can't build rods...<grin>

Lure builder
April 4th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Okay...I suppose you can only ask a reel mechanic what reel not to buy.

AJH
April 4th, 2004, 02:40 AM
It would seem to me a "reel mechanic" would be a good person to ask what
reel to buy. Al, who would you ask, a greeter at Wal Mart?

\The Shadow\
April 4th, 2004, 03:14 AM
My question is still' What kind of statistics were gathered when just a
"couple" of reel guys were polled?

I have to admit that 90% of my reels were & are Shimano's.
A) because they are very smooth.
B) They seem to relatively trouble free.
C) They fit my budget

--
"The Shadow"
Millennium Rods
"AJH" > wrote in message
> The reason the reel repair guys used Shimano is they didn't want to work
> on their own reels after working on others all. the time...Not my words,
> just what they said. I don't use Shimano reels or the ones starting with
> a "Q" Maybe if reel guys don't know about reels, guides don't know how
> to fish and rod makers can't build rods...<grin>

AJH
April 4th, 2004, 03:30 AM
No one mentioned statistics, it was just 2 reel repair guys making
comments on the Bass Fishing Home Page..

J Buck
April 4th, 2004, 03:37 AM
If you're someone who believes in research and polling, I guess 2
wouldn't be enough.

J Buck
April 4th, 2004, 03:39 AM
<My question is still' What kind of statistics were gathered when just a
"couple" of reel guys were polled?>

So what do you with the info from this newsgroup? It's a pretty small
sample as well.

Bob La Londe
April 4th, 2004, 04:05 AM
I have several Quantum Acdcuists, both 400 series and 500 series. I like
the fishability very much. I occassionally use the flipping switch for
pitching. One feature I like even more is that the thumb bar instantly
engages if you lift it with your thumb. Very handy when you want slack line
a bait or when a fish hits a bait as it hits the water.

Most of my Accurists are over a year old now, and two were purchased used
last year so I don't know how old those are. I have had a problem with only
one of them. I stripped out the instant antireverseing clutch by casting a
heavy jig or other heavy weight and forgetting I had the flipping switch
turned on. I have to admit I did that several times with my first Accurist
before I got the hang of it. Obvioucly the fault is not that of the reel.
--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
"Aa Aa" > wrote in message
> Okay, what is your favorite baitcaster?
>
> Most of the ones I own are Curados. But I was thinking about buying a
> Quantum Accurist to see what its like.
>
> Anybody have any thoughts on the Accurist?
>
> Thanks....

Bob La Londe
April 4th, 2004, 04:12 AM
"Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> When I was looking for a new baitcaster, I was steered away from the
> Accurist from people here. They suggested the Curado, and I liked them so
> much I now own 5 of them.

I owned several Quantums long before the users of this NG got me to try a
Curado. I finally broke down and bought one, but I have gotten so used to
my Accurists that I don't like the action of the Curado. If I was going to
go for another high end reel I would probably try a Pflueger President.

As a side note. For a cheap reel that isn't bad I have a couple BassPro
MH1000 s. One I won in at a bass club meeting, and the other I bought for a
spare before I decided to just buy the more expensive Accurists I like so
well. They both work well. You have to thumb them to keep from backlashing
if you use them for pitching, but they can be used, and they are pretty
smooth for a cheap reel. They aren't bad at all for casting a medium or
heavy spinner bait. In fact I have one on my 3 wt Lamiglass rod that I use
almost exclusively for throwing spinner baits.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

> --
> Charles B. Summers
> Secret Weapon Lures
> http://www.secretweaponlures.com
>

> "Aa Aa" > wrote in message
> > Okay, what is your favorite baitcaster?
> >
> > Most of the ones I own are Curados. But I was thinking about buying a
> > Quantum Accurist to see what its like.
> >
> > Anybody have any thoughts on the Accurist?
> >
> > Thanks....

Lure builder
April 4th, 2004, 04:34 AM
AJH
>It would seem to me a "reel mechanic" would be a good person to ask what
>reel to buy. Al, who would you ask, a greeter at Wal Mart?

I don't think I would search out a reel mechanic in order to get advice on what
reel to buy. They can probably tell you better what not to buy.
From what i remember it was said you use catfish reels so why be so technical
on the issue.
As far as the greeter at Walmart I usually mumble a %%&$#$x when i pass them on
the way fishing section. lol

AJH
April 4th, 2004, 05:17 AM
"What to buy or what not to buy" Al you got me their, at this point I
don't know what to think or what not to think.. I am sticking with my
Zebco 202's...

J Buck
April 4th, 2004, 05:24 AM
<I am sticking with my Zebco 202's...>

Barring a basic handline, is there really a better value on the market?

Bob La Londe
April 4th, 2004, 10:46 PM
"J Buck" > wrote in message
> <I am sticking with my Zebco 202's...>
>
> Barring a basic handline, is there really a better value on the market?

I disagree, The modern 202 has an all plastic base. The 33 isn't much more
expensive and it has a metal base. I used to swear by my 606 way back when
until I cranked in a few channel cats with it and I plain wore out the base
from all the strain.

Bob La Londe
April 4th, 2004, 10:47 PM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message
> "Charles B. Summers" > wrote in message
> > When I was looking for a new baitcaster, I was steered away from the
> > Accurist from people here. They suggested the Curado, and I liked them
so
> > much I now own 5 of them.
>
> I owned several Quantums long before the users of this NG got me to try a
> Curado. I finally broke down and bought one, but I have gotten so used to
> my Accurists that I don't like the action of the Curado. If I was going
> go for another high end reel I would probably try a Pflueger President.
>
> As a side note. For a cheap reel that isn't bad I have a couple BassPro
> MH1000 s.

Oops, meant to type MT 1000 H

> One I won in at a bass club meeting, and the other I bought for a
> spare before I decided to just buy the more expensive Accurists I like so
> well. They both work well. You have to thumb them to keep from
backlashing
> if you use them for pitching, but they can be used, and they are pretty
> smooth for a cheap reel. They aren't bad at all for casting a medium or
> heavy spinner bait. In fact I have one on my 3 wt Lamiglass rod that I
use
> almost exclusively for throwing spinner baits.
>
> --
> Public Fishing Forums
> Fishing Link Index
> www.YumaBassMan.com
>
> webmaster
> at
> YumaBsssMan
> dot
> com
> >
> > --
> > Charles B. Summers
> > Secret Weapon Lures
> > http://www.secretweaponlures.com
> >

> > "Aa Aa" > wrote in message
> > > Okay, what is your favorite baitcaster?
> > >
> > > Most of the ones I own are Curados. But I was thinking about buying a
> > > Quantum Accurist to see what its like.
> > >
> > > Anybody have any thoughts on the Accurist?
> > >
> > > Thanks....

J Buck
April 5th, 2004, 12:40 AM
<I am sticking with my Zebco 202's...>

<Barring a basic handline, is there really a better value on the
market?>

<I disagree, The modern 202 has an all plastic base. The 33 isn't much
more expensive and it has a metal base>

Ok, I should have been clearer, in more general terms. I meant Zebco as
a brand, not any one particular model.

Bob La Londe
April 5th, 2004, 02:40 PM
You know its funny. People often refer to the old Zebco 33 as a decent
cheap reel, yet their Quantum line is often talked down. Personally I can't
think of a reel more reliable than the Zebco 33. I still own a couple of
them, but the low price Quantums just don't seem to hold up. On the other
hand the higher price Quantum reels seem to hold up as well as anybody's.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
"J Buck" > wrote in message
> <I am sticking with my Zebco 202's...>
>
> <Barring a basic handline, is there really a better value on the
> market?>
>
> <I disagree, The modern 202 has an all plastic base. The 33 isn't much
> more expensive and it has a metal base>
>
> Ok, I should have been clearer, in more general terms. I meant Zebco as
> a brand, not any one particular model.

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
April 5th, 2004, 06:49 PM
"Bob La Londe" > wrote in message <SNIP>>

On the other
> hand the higher price Quantum reels seem to hold up as well as anybody's.

Not in my experience they don't. I've tried both their high end baitcasting
and spinning reels in the past. I was terribly disappointed in their
performance and durability.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com