PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of mono

FFurd
April 4th, 2004, 03:06 AM
What is the shelf life of a spool of mono line? Someone recently posted
that they bought a 10,700 yard spool of Trilene XL. How long can that be
expected to maintain its strength? What are the ideal storage conditions
for a large spool of mono?

Thanks for your replies.

Doug

Eric Ryder
April 4th, 2004, 03:30 AM
"FFurd" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> What is the shelf life of a spool of mono line? Someone recently posted
> that they bought a 10,700 yard spool of Trilene XL. How long can that be
> expected to maintain its strength? What are the ideal storage conditions
> for a large spool of mono?
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> Doug

Less for some than others:) I had poor results with long-term storage of
Trilene, better with Stren (now they will be the same?). I'm happy with 3-4
years on bulk spools, prolly 'cause I'm fishing less than ever:(

AJH
April 4th, 2004, 03:35 AM
I have some 1/4 lb spools of mono that are 3-4 years old, they seem to
be ok.. I keep them in a closet away from light..

Marty
April 4th, 2004, 06:38 AM
FFurd > wrote in message
ink.net...
> What is the shelf life of a spool of mono line?

I've stored line for years without problems in my basement. I also have one
reel with Trilene XL on it that I use only a few times a year, and that
gives me no problems either, and I think the line has been on the spool for
at least five years. But I'm just a recreational angler, if I was a
tournament guy, I'd probably be scared to do that, even though I haven't had
problems.

Charles B. Summers
April 4th, 2004, 06:22 PM
That was me FFurd, and I expect it to last me about 2 years given the rate
that I change lines.

I don't change them because of tournament fishing... but rather that I
usually end up with a bad 'nest or two that will kill what's on a reel,
fishing around rock is very bad on my lines, and then I'll spool up with
flourescent for fishing nights. Anyway, I figured that I can spool up a reel
for less than a quarter and feel good about having on good line.

I picked up these two spools for about $15.00 each! One with 6000yds of
10lb, and the other with 4700yds of 12lb.
--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

"FFurd" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> What is the shelf life of a spool of mono line? Someone recently posted
> that they bought a 10,700 yard spool of Trilene XL. How long can that be
> expected to maintain its strength? What are the ideal storage conditions
> for a large spool of mono?
>
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> Doug

Jim Laumann
April 8th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Charles

Where did you find those spools? Inquiring minds - well - mine
anyway - want to know.

Jim

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:22:49 -0500, "Charles B. Summers"
> wrote:

>That was me FFurd, and I expect it to last me about 2 years given the rate
>that I change lines.
>
>I don't change them because of tournament fishing... but rather that I
>usually end up with a bad 'nest or two that will kill what's on a reel,
>fishing around rock is very bad on my lines, and then I'll spool up with
>flourescent for fishing nights. Anyway, I figured that I can spool up a reel
>for less than a quarter and feel good about having on good line.
>
>I picked up these two spools for about $15.00 each! One with 6000yds of
>10lb, and the other with 4700yds of 12lb.

Bubba Test
July 23rd, 2004, 08:18 PM

"Eric Ryder" > wrote in message

> "FFurd" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > What is the shelf life of a spool of mono line? Someone recently posted
> > that they bought a 10,700 yard spool of Trilene XL. How long can that
be
> > expected to maintain its strength? What are the ideal storage
conditions
> > for a large spool of mono?
> >
> > Thanks for your replies.
> >
> > Doug
> >

> Less for some than others:) I had poor results with long-term storage of
> Trilene, better with Stren (now they will be the same?). I'm happy with
3-4
> years on bulk spools, prolly 'cause I'm fishing less than ever:(

go-bassn
July 24th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Stop it Bubba, or I'm gonna have grade-school flashbacks!

Warren ;-)

"Bubba Test" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> ..
> "Eric Ryder" > wrote in message
> >
> > "FFurd" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > > What is the shelf life of a spool of mono line? Someone recently
posted
> > > that they bought a 10,700 yard spool of Trilene XL. How long can that
> be
> > > expected to maintain its strength? What are the ideal storage
> conditions
> > > for a large spool of mono?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your replies.
> > >
> > > Doug
> > >

> > Less for some than others:) I had poor results with long-term storage
of
> > Trilene, better with Stren (now they will be the same?). I'm happy with
> 3-4
> > years on bulk spools, prolly 'cause I'm fishing less than ever:(

go-bassn
July 24th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Stop it Bubba, or I'm gonna have grade-school flashbacks!

Warren ;-)

nk.net...