PDA

View Full Version : Alaska - part 2

Dave LaCourse
September 7th, 2005, 06:41 PM
No fly out Wednesday. We would fish the Kvichak in front of the lodge
for big rainbows. These fish come out of Lake Iliamna in mid-summer
to feed on the salmon eggs, but the really big ones don't arrive until
late August, early September. We were at the beginning of prime time
on the Kvichak. Ten millimeter beads imitating salmon eggs were used.
We started out slow with just a few fish in the 22 - 26 inch range.
It was a miserable day with heavy winds and very choppy water. Every
time we headed back up-stream for another pass at a given spot, my
kidneys suffered the bouncing. I'd be lucky if I didn't pee blood
that night. We returned to the river after lunch at the lodge and
things were again slow, but picked up after a few hours. Several nice
rainbows were landed and safely released, and more than a few of those
pesky grayling. Big fish of the day was 28 inches.

My fishing partner and I had a disagreement on where to fish on
Thursday. His only thought was to get "on the board" by getting a 30
inch or greater rainbow. The only place for that was the Kvichak. I
wanted variety, so I flew to the Big River at Cook's Inlet, opposite
Kodiak Island and doubled up with a lovely couple, Bob and Julie, from
Devon, England. The flight to Big River was breathtaking. We flew
over many volcanoes that had pulled a Mt. St. Helens with the caldera
filling with water. We landed on the river since the tide was out.
There were several bears on the tidal flats digging for clams. Once
the Beaver was parked, we walked upstream until we spotted some
Silvers. First cast and I was into a small one (9 pounder). Bob and
Julie, fishing within spitting distance of each other, were into a pod
and must have landed fifteen fish before I landed my third one. Then,
I found my own little pod and took more than enough to "catch up" with
them. These fish were straight from the ocean and hadn't been in the
river but a few hours. Their backs were a deep green color, and had
sea lice on the flanks. We must have taken 20 fish apiece before we
left with the tide coming in. Some of the Silvers were in the 15 to
16 pound range - sweet on a 7 weight. We spotted several bears. They
were around us all day. At one point a large bear caught a silver
opposite us and started to walk up the bank to eat it when a smaller
bear chased him into the tundra with his catch. Moments later the
small bear appeared with the Silver flapping in his jaws and the
bigger bear chasing him. I don't know how the little guy took the
fish away, but he finally dropped it and the bigger bear ate it on the
spot. First they skin it, then eat the brain, and go next for the
belly hoping it's a female with lots of roe. It is then discarded for
the eagles or gulls to take. One fairly large bear saw me catch a
fish and swam across to my side slightly down river from me. He then
proceeded to head my way, coming within 20 feet before he went around
me. He was fat and happy, and didn't need any trouble from me. I
felt the same way - fat and happy, without troubles.

Friday was to be a short day with fishing between 8 - 10:30 a.m. I
chose to first pack, and then sleep for 3 hours. Both the Kamchatka
and Alaskan trips had left me exhausted. Our plane left at noon,
arriving in Anchorage around 1:30. A shuttle ride to the Millennium
Hotel and I holed up in the bar until about 6:30 when I took the
shuttle back to the airport and caught the red eye for Atlanta and
finally Boston, arriving home about noon-time, tired, dirty, and
tired. I don't remember Labor Day week-end, but I remember some
wonderful moments fishing both Alaska and Russia. Next year my
granddaughter and I will go back to the Kvichak.

Hark. I hear the Rapid calling……….

Dave

Tim J.
September 7th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Dave LaCourse typed:
> No fly out Wednesday. We would fish the Kvichak in front of the lodge
> for big rainbows.
<snip>

Nice TRs all, Dave. Thanks.
--
TL,
Tim

jimbo
September 7th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Outstanding, Dave. Wonderful post - I hope you'll post some pictures to go
along with the images I have of bears 20 feet away! Remembering your dilemma
this past winter, fishing both Kamchatka and Alaska seems to have been a
good compromise, (and one most of us would not have been able to make,
unfortunately).

Jim Ray
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> [...]
> proceeded to head my way, coming within 20 feet before he went around
> me. He was fat and happy, and didn't need any trouble from me. I
> felt the same way - fat and happy, without troubles.
>
> Friday was to be a short day with fishing between 8 - 10:30 a.m. I
> chose to first pack, and then sleep for 3 hours. Both the Kamchatka
> and Alaskan trips had left me exhausted. Our plane left at noon,
> arriving in Anchorage around 1:30. A shuttle ride to the Millennium
> Hotel and I holed up in the bar until about 6:30 when I took the
> shuttle back to the airport and caught the red eye for Atlanta and
> finally Boston, arriving home about noon-time, tired, dirty, and
> tired. I don't remember Labor Day week-end, but I remember some
> wonderful moments fishing both Alaska and Russia. Next year my
> granddaughter and I will go back to the Kvichak.

Wayne Harrison
September 7th, 2005, 07:18 PM
"Dave LaCourse" > wrote
(snip)
> Hark. I hear the Rapid calling....

fun read, you lucky *******.

yfitons
wayno

Dave LaCourse
September 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Hmmmm. Forgot to add. I'll be posting pix of both Russia and Alaska
later today when I have time.

Dave

Dave LaCourse
September 7th, 2005, 07:58 PM
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:18:29 -0400, "Wayne Harrison"
> wrote:

>fun read, you lucky *******.

No luck involved, counselor. Plan ahead and even a successful North
Cacklackey lawyer can go. Wanna makes plans for next year? Let me
know.

Dave

Ken Fortenberry
September 7th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Dave LaCourse wrote:
> <very nice TR snipped>
> Hark. I hear the Rapid calling……….

Way cool Louie. Thanks for taking me to Alaska while
I'm sitting in my study.

--
Ken Fortenberry