PDA

View Full Version : Ping wayno/Katrina

September 8th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Imagine my surprise to be riding down a residential street...well, a
foundational street, anyway...in Hancock County, MS and seeing "ROWAN
COUNTY" on the side of a LEO vehicle. Yep, a couple of young deputies
from Rowan County, NC. Don't know names as there isn't a lot of
chit-chat time, but wayno, if you can find out their names, I'd be
almost as appreciative of that as I am of them...actually, no, I
wouldn't be _almost_ so, but I would be appreciative, nonetheless. Must
be a whole NC contingent as there were almost some "PeeDee Electric
Co-op" or some such (from NC as well) roaming around, too. Thanks to
all from NC and everywhere else who are down here helping.

IAC, things are getting better down here. As to NO, the Vieux Carre
and the CBD in NO are really eerie - military/Guard, out-of-uniform
cops, and the stupidest ****ing reporters ever to be handed a mic: "So,
for the 412th time today, are you tired and will NO ever be the same?"

On the MS coast, things continue to improve for many - power, phone
service, stores and gas stations opening, etc. And please, when you
think of all this, if you think of all this, remember, the MS coast got
hit as hard, or harder, as NO and there's a lot of destruction and need
there, too. And not just Biloxi/Gulfport, as shown on TV. Waveland, on
the western side, is about gone, and beautiful little Bay St. Louis is
trashed. On the eastern side, Pascagoula suffered extensive damage.

And again, if anyone reading this needs anything down here and can get
me an email, I'll do what I can.

TC,

Wayne Harrison
September 8th, 2005, 02:03 PM
> wrote

Thanks to
> all from NC and everywhere else who are down here helping.

three of my colleagues, criminal defense lawyers, spent labor day weekend in
the pascagoula area, cooking/distributing around 2,000 hamburgers, water,
baby food, etc, that many of us who are denizens of "fisher's"., a local bar
and grill, underwrote. they hauled an enormous barbeque rig behind a
*large* dodge pickup, and hooked up with a national guard contingent of
nearly 1,000 men, who hadn't had warm food since they had been on
assignment.
it might be just a little maudlin, but i was proud of them.

yfitons
wayno

September 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:03:10 GMT, "Wayne Harrison" >
wrote:

> wrote
>
> Thanks to
>> all from NC and everywhere else who are down here helping.
>
>three of my colleagues, criminal defense lawyers, spent labor day weekend in
>the pascagoula area, cooking/distributing around 2,000 hamburgers, water,
>baby food, etc, that many of us who are denizens of "fisher's"., a local bar
>and grill, underwrote. they hauled an enormous barbeque rig behind a
>*large* dodge pickup, and hooked up with a national guard contingent of
>nearly 1,000 men, who hadn't had warm food since they had been on
>assignment.
> it might be just a little maudlin, but i was proud of them.

Not maudlin in the least. Pascagoula is a special place to me (my
maternal Grandmother and her father were born there) and I have quite a
number of friends there. Thanks to them, and those of y'all at
"fisher's." If possible, could you email the
names/numbers/addresses/contact info of some kind of the three that came
down?

Thanks again,

>yfitons
>wayno

Sarge
September 8th, 2005, 05:17 PM
wrote: "Imagine my surprise to be riding down a
residential street...well, a foundational street, anyway...in Hancock
County, MS and seeing "ROWAN COUNTY" on the side of a LEO vehicle. Yep, a
couple of young deputies
from Rowan County, NC. Don't know names as there isn't a lot of chit-chat
time, but wayno, if you can find out their names, I'd be
almost as appreciative of that as I am of them...actually, no, I wouldn't be
_almost_ so, but I would be appreciative, nonetheless. Must be a whole NC
contingent as there were almost some "PeeDee Electric Co-op" or some such
(from NC as well) roaming around, too. Thanks to all from NC and everywhere
else who are down here helping."

Its not just in Mississippi that you see out of state law enforcement. Here
in Louisiana, I have seen law officers from the State of Arizona, State of
New Mexico, Cleveland, Texas, Seattle, Washington and Ohio. I treated 50
National Guards from Missouri to donuts the other morning. They were all
waiting to be deployed and had just arrived in from out of town. They were
parked in a shopping center, so I went to the local donut shop and I ordered
20 dozen donuts and brought over to them. They were happy to see it since
they were still warm and they drove all night getting here.

Entergy crews have been repairing electrical lines everywhere and my area
has power. All utilities are 100 percent except for the phone lines are not
fully operation. No long distance and plenty of dropped calls. Cell
service is terrible. Cingular lost 2000 towers either due to flood, lost of
electrical, or tower damage in Southeast Louisiana. Many companies are
sharing towers in this area and many cell providers are in the same shape.

Grocery store shelves are empty of fruits and vegetables and there is little
or no meat to be found.

My thanks also to the utility workers that are working 16 hours a day to
restore everything.

My thanks to the law officers, National Guard and rescue personnel that came
from all over to help out.

Sarge