PDA

View Full Version : Reel Suggestion

LouF
September 13th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I have a dilemma:

I discovered on my most recent foray to the shore this past weekend that my
stripping basket, containg both my sal****er reels and spare spools, spare
lines, wading shoes,etc. had been stolen from the back of my truck. I
plan to replace everything eventually but for the very short term I need a
cheap replacement reel to use for the rest of this season. I'll be mainly
catching schoolie stripers,and bluefish(2-5lb) with larger fish possible
but infrequent. I've been looking at the lower-priced Okumas and I wonder
if anyone has any experience with them. Their drag system, corrosion
resistance etc.

Less than $200.00 for reel and extra spool would be great....the lesser the
greater ;-)

Any other suggestions would be welcome also.

thanks for you help in advance

Lou

briansfly
September 13th, 2005, 07:30 PM
LouF wrote:
> I have a dilemma:
>
> I discovered on my most recent foray to the shore this past weekend that my
> stripping basket, containg both my sal****er reels and spare spools, spare
> lines, wading shoes,etc. had been stolen from the back of my truck. I
> plan to replace everything eventually but for the very short term I need a
> cheap replacement reel to use for the rest of this season. I'll be mainly
> catching schoolie stripers,and bluefish(2-5lb) with larger fish possible
> but infrequent. I've been looking at the lower-priced Okumas and I wonder
> if anyone has any experience with them. Their drag system, corrosion
> resistance etc.
>
> Less than $200.00 for reel and extra spool would be great....the lesser the
> greater ;-)
>
> Any other suggestions would be welcome also.
>
> thanks for you help in advance
>
> Lou

Check Ebay, and or the web, for the discontinued Redington GD reels.
Very solid reels, at a reasonable price.

brians

sandy
September 14th, 2005, 04:59 AM
The Ross Gunnison reels are a little more expensive than
that. But still a lot less than the top end reels.
I have four now. I have three Abel reels too.
I like them all. The Abel reels I got second
hand, else I never would have bought them.
They're nice. But I'd trad each one of them
for a Ross if I could.

The Ross Gunnison reels are not only cheaper, they'r better.

--
/* Sandy Pittendrigh >--oO0>
** http://montana-riverboats.com

LouF
September 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:59:50 -0700, sandy
> wrote:

>The Ross Gunnison reels are a little more expensive than
>that. But still a lot less than the top end reels.
>I have four now. I have three Abel reels too.
>I like them all. The Abel reels I got second
>hand, else I never would have bought them.
>They're nice. But I'd trad each one of them
>for a Ross if I could.
>
>The Ross Gunnison reels are not only cheaper, they'r better.

Thanks, I like the ross reels, the one I borrowed for the weekend was one
in fact and I would love eventually to get an abel but right now, with
three in college I need to go cheap!

LouF
September 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:30:21 GMT, briansfly > wrote:

>> Lou
>
>Check Ebay, and or the web, for the discontinued Redington GD reels.
>Very solid reels, at a reasonable price.
>
>brians

Thanks

William McNulty
September 14th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Lou,
Go to championoutfitters.com
Get there 800 # and call Rod to price a Lamson Velocity for 8-9 wt. It is a
true large arbor reel with a lifetime warranty. That should tell you
something about quality. Oh, free shipping too.
I have several for 10-11 wt. and fish all year round for big stripers,
albies and slammer blues. Never left me down.
Bill M.