PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' for Western NC Clave Details...

Bevin
September 14th, 2005, 05:46 PM
OK fellas, it seems from a review of the posts that indeed some of you
are gonna be fishing the Fontana area in October. I'll be headed into
the Smokies around 10/7 and hope to find some friendly faces, folks I
met in Montana, etc. But I can't tell from the posts if there's
consensus on a campground, a central meeting spot, or who all is
planning on being there.

Having never fly fished the NC area, I'm gonna have to ask someone some
questions to get myself prepared (like, what flies do we use in NC? I
think my San Juan bugs aren't gonna cut it). Is this a good
opportunity to load up on new gear or what? Any volunteers out there
who want to speak up, plan to meet somewhere on 10/7 or 10/8 or divulge
their top-secret camp sites? And who the heck is planning on going
anyway?
Bevin

Jeff
September 14th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Hey Bevin! Good to hear from you. How long will you be in the area?
I'll be there from Oct 1-15. We are planning on going to a Rolling
Stones concert the night of Oct 8 at Duke Univ, so won't be around much
on the 8th or 9th. I'll be happy to show you around. I'm at work now,
but will send more info later...

jeff

Bevin wrote:
> OK fellas, it seems from a review of the posts that indeed some of you
> are gonna be fishing the Fontana area in October. I'll be headed into
> the Smokies around 10/7 and hope to find some friendly faces, folks I
> met in Montana, etc. But I can't tell from the posts if there's
> consensus on a campground, a central meeting spot, or who all is
> planning on being there.
>
> Having never fly fished the NC area, I'm gonna have to ask someone some
> questions to get myself prepared (like, what flies do we use in NC? I
> think my San Juan bugs aren't gonna cut it). Is this a good
> opportunity to load up on new gear or what? Any volunteers out there
> who want to speak up, plan to meet somewhere on 10/7 or 10/8 or divulge
> their top-secret camp sites? And who the heck is planning on going
> anyway?
> Bevin

Conan The Librarian
September 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Bevin wrote:

> Having never fly fished the NC area, I'm gonna have to ask someone some
> questions to get myself prepared (like, what flies do we use in NC? I
> think my San Juan bugs aren't gonna cut it). Is this a good
> opportunity to load up on new gear or what?

Here's what I used with good success on my trip there in June:

TFO 7'6" 3-wt. rod with a Cortland "3.5" "precision taper" line
(loaded pretty well at short distances, and not so long that it's a
hinderance)
short leaders (less than rod-length, but not necessarily too fine;
4x was what I used while I was there)
#16 para Adams (bring plenty because you will lose some to the
trees/rhodos)
yellow humpies and stimulators
nymphs? I dunno ... I fished 99% dries
felt-soled boots
wading staff (not for fast water, but to use as a walking stick and
for negotiating slippery rocks)
drab olive and brown clothing (spooky fish in clear water)

Prior to the trip, get your legs in shape for hiking and practice
your rollcasting, sidearm casting and bow and arrow casting. And be
prepared to be stealthy; crawling, slithering, crouching as you approach
the water. Keep your falsecasting to a minimum; less falsecasting =
less chances of getting caught in trees and spooking fish.

Finally, be prepared for a great time chasing strong (but mostly
small) wild fish in gorgeous surroundings.

Chuck Vance (who can hardly wait to get back there)

Bevin
September 14th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Chuck,
Thanks for the great advice,especially on the flies. I'd heard that
yellow was the color of choice for the region. Unfortunately, I've got
most of that type gear already, so I'll have to come up with a better
excuse to buy more gear. A buddy of mine in Asheville says he's had
great luck lately with a dry/dropper rig, but since he's just learning
how to fly fish, he doesn't know what to call the nymph he's been
using. I've sent him off on a mission...

Jeff,
I'll be getting there around the 7th and staying until the 14th, but as
far as where "there" is, I'm still a bit in the dark. Saw some posts
about camping at Rattler Ford, but don't know if there's a group rez or
what. Where's everyone staying? I'll be camping, weather permitting,
and can certainly find my way around the area, but I'm hoping to
rendezvous with folks over the weekend and at least get pointed in the
right direction. Rolling Stones sounds fun! See you when you get
there and I'll look forward to hearing from you in the meantime.

Bevin
Who used to live in NC and can't believe he's never fished there...

Frank Reid
September 14th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Hey,
I got a 3wt at the western clave that I could loan you.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Bevin
September 14th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Frank,
Yeah, I remember that rod. A Cabela's Three Forks or something? 7.5
ft? Nice rod. I'll probably take you up on that offer. My current 3wt
might be a little long at 8'6".

My friend in Asheville just bought a 6'6" 2wt from Cooks Rods in
Oregon. Anyone ever heard of these rods? He got it on eBay, of
course, for under $90, shipping included. Says it works great in the
rhododendron-strewn cricks he likes to fish.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cooksrods/

Maybe I'll have an excuse to buy a new rod after all :)

Bevin,
Who doesn't have enough fly rods to fish everywhere he goes...

Jeff
September 14th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Bevin -

Flies - The NC trout aren't too finicky about the fly they'll hit.
There aren't many fish in most runs and they spook easily and stay
spooked for a long time. stealth and presentation are usually
key...except for those lovely brookies about 6 miles up the trail. As
usual, you'll want to look for the most likely holding spots and runs,
as well as the little pockets by and under rocks in out-of-the way
spots. Tough places to get a fly, or spots others avoid, as with other
streams you've probably fished, will usually hold a fish. In october,
blue wing olives usually work great. I like the parachute patterns.
Tan or brown Elk Hair Caddis, parachute adams, red or yellow humpies,
royal wulffs, stimulators, can be productive. GR Hares ear, prince, and
pheasant tail nymphs work fine too. But truth is, I've caught fish on
almost every kind of pattern i've tossed in October...even some of those
crazy western club sandwich and madame x things. size 12-16 work ok in
my experience, and you just fiddle around with the stuff til you find
something that works better than others.

Places - there are several streams that are favorites in the area, and a
few that are lesser known. Plus, the GSMNP has spots that ought to be
seen. Dan'l has never been to Hazel Creek, and i plan on remedying
that... we'll show you some streams you can explore more on your own
when you choose.

I'm staying in our usual venue over on snowbird creek. the first week
we'll be at a place about 1/2-1 mile down the snowbird backcountry road
(house beside the big western-looking log cabin on the right-hand side
of the road by the stream). the second week, we'll be over at our usual
spot on snowbird creek in a little development. i can't remember the
name of the driveway/road that crosses a single car bridge, but it is
about 3/4 of a mile before you get to the turn to the snowbird
backcountry road. here's a link to graham county info that might help you:

http://grahamchamber.com/

check out the accommodation page and the maps. feel free to contact me
by e-mail. there is plenty of free primitive camping in the area in
addition to the forest service spots. big snowbird has lots of spaces.
look forward to seeing you again. you oughta get bruce to come along as
well. at least one night, we'll fix a decent meal(well, rachel will-i
hope) for whoever shows up. our place also has a shower for those in
need...

jeff

Bevin wrote:

> Who used to live in NC and can't believe he's never fished there...

Tim J.
September 14th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Jeff typed:
<snip>
> Places - there are several streams that are favorites in the area,
> and a few that are lesser known. Plus, the GSMNP has spots that
> ought to be seen. Dan'l has never been to Hazel Creek, and i plan on
> remedying that... we'll show you some streams you can explore more on
> your own when you choose.

Bevin - to whet the appetite. . .
http://css.sbcma.com/timj/roffpics/2004_anticlave/
--
HTH,
Tim

Bevin
September 15th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Alrighty, now I'm getting excited, what with the great details and the
pictures and all. I really appreciate the info, guys. I'll work on
getting Bruce there next year - I think he's got plans with Willy and
Charlie Choc to fish the Rio Grande around this time frame, so I don't
think he's going anywhere. He and I did, however, spend a couple days
on the San Juan last weekend. Still learning how to fish from the boat
on that river - it's a different animal. But we hauled in a few (well,
Bruce hauled in a pile, and I got a few, but it averages out, right?).

So from looking at the maps on the very nice Graham County website, it
looks like I can get myself to Robbinsville and then head sorta
southwest into the Snowbird creek drainage - prolly Forrest Rd 75 to
the trailhead (??). I'll be pulling in early Friday 10/7 so if anyone
else is camping, speak up and let me know where to meet and we'll
circle the wagons.

Bevin,
Who just ordered a new TFO 7'6" 3wt 'cause he couldn't stand not buying
a new rod for this trip...

Bob Patton
September 15th, 2005, 01:52 AM
"Jeff" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Hey Bevin! Good to hear from you. How long will you be in the area? I'll
> be there from Oct 1-15. We are planning on going to a Rolling Stones
> concert the night of Oct 8 at Duke Univ, so won't be around much on the
> 8th or 9th. I'll be happy to show you around. I'm at work now, but will
> send more info later...
>
> jeff
//snip//

Breaking up a fishing trip halfway through to go to a 'Stones concert on a
Satiddy night . . . At Duke, no less!! How er, effete!

Hmmmm. You're gonna haf to drive all day Saturday to get there and all day
Sunday to get back! (assuming the air has cleared enough that you can see
the steering wheel!) I think I just found an unoccupied warm dry place with
a shower and refrigerator. :-)

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Bob Patton
September 15th, 2005, 02:01 AM
"Bevin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> OK fellas, it seems from a review of the posts that indeed some of you
> are gonna be fishing the Fontana area in October. I'll be headed into
> the Smokies around 10/7 and hope to find some friendly faces, folks I
> met in Montana, etc. But I can't tell from the posts if there's
> consensus on a campground, a central meeting spot, or who all is
> planning on being there.
>
> Having never fly fished the NC area, I'm gonna have to ask someone some
> questions to get myself prepared (like, what flies do we use in NC? I
> think my San Juan bugs aren't gonna cut it). Is this a good
> opportunity to load up on new gear or what? Any volunteers out there
> who want to speak up, plan to meet somewhere on 10/7 or 10/8 or divulge
> their top-secret camp sites? And who the heck is planning on going
> anyway?
> Bevin

I'm going to leave St Louis on the morning of the 8th but probably won't get
to Snowbird until the 9th. I'll be in the vicinity for at least a week and
will spend at least some of that time camping along snowbird, but don't know
exactly where. The campsites at s-bird are primitive, though Ken Fortenberry
posted a comment about the Rattler Ford campsite on Santeetlah. That would
be a somewhat more civilized place to stay, but it's a ways from the good
fishing on Snowbird, and I like to minimize the driving time.

In all likelihood, I'll be driving a dark green 1982 Ford F-150 that's beat
up enough to qualify as a fishing truck.

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Bob Patton
September 15th, 2005, 02:06 AM
"Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
//snip//

> Prior to the trip, get your legs in shape for hiking and practice your
> rollcasting, sidearm casting and bow and arrow casting. And be prepared
> to be stealthy; crawling, slithering, crouching as you approach the water.
> Keep your falsecasting to a minimum; less falsecasting = less chances of
> getting caught in trees and spooking fish.
>
> Finally, be prepared for a great time chasing strong (but mostly small)
> wild fish in gorgeous surroundings.

Good summary, but you forgot the beer. For medicinal purposes only, of
course.
(Actually, it's good to remember that there are somewhat unusual rules about
alcohol sales. Don't assume you can just pick up a supply at the last
minute. You have to know the code.)

Ken Fortenberry
September 15th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Bob Patton wrote:

> ... The campsites at s-bird are primitive, though Ken Fortenberry
> posted a comment about the Rattler Ford campsite on Santeetlah. That would
> be a somewhat more civilized place to stay, but it's a ways from the good
> fishing on Snowbird, and I like to minimize the driving time.

Rattler Ford is a Group Camp and reservations are required
weeks in advance. I mentioned it only theoretically, never
assuming for a moment that roffians could be civilized. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Bob Patton
September 15th, 2005, 02:18 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
. ..
//snip//>
> Rattler Ford is a Group Camp and reservations are required
> weeks in advance. I mentioned it only theoretically, never
> assuming for a moment that roffians could be civilized. ;-)
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Good points. Also, I need to check on when bear and pig seasons start. The
entire Snowbird/Santeetlah area can be a little congested the weekend before
bear season, as people practice their dogs and scope out the territory. And
being mistaken for a wild pig would probably ruin your whole day :-)
--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Conan The Librarian
September 15th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Jeff wrote:

> [snip of the gospel on western NC]
>
> I'm staying in our usual venue over on snowbird creek. the first week
> we'll be at a place about 1/2-1 mile down the snowbird backcountry road
> (house beside the big western-looking log cabin on the right-hand side
> of the road by the stream). the second week, we'll be over at our usual
> spot on snowbird creek in a little development. i can't remember the
> name of the driveway/road that crosses a single car bridge, but it is
> about 3/4 of a mile before you get to the turn to the snowbird
> backcountry road.

I think it was called Riverview. And the house itself was on Summitt.

Chuck Vance (who is envious as hell of y'all)

Jeff Miller
September 15th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Bob Patton wrote:

> "Jeff" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>
>>Hey Bevin! Good to hear from you. How long will you be in the area? I'll
>>be there from Oct 1-15. We are planning on going to a Rolling Stones
>>concert the night of Oct 8 at Duke Univ, so won't be around much on the
>>8th or 9th. I'll be happy to show you around. I'm at work now, but will
>>send more info later...
>>
>>jeff
>
> //snip//
>
> Breaking up a fishing trip halfway through to go to a 'Stones concert on a
> Satiddy night . . . At Duke, no less!! How er, effete!
>
> Hmmmm. You're gonna haf to drive all day Saturday to get there and all day
> Sunday to get back! (assuming the air has cleared enough that you can see
> the steering wheel!) I think I just found an unoccupied warm dry place with
> a shower and refrigerator. :-)

yup... actually it's rachel's birthday present. she has always wanted
to see the rs, one of her favorite groups. i've never cared much for
them...so, i'm happily making rachel happy...and, uh, i'm hoping it goes
a long way in assuring my ability at some point in the future to take
some other uninterrupted fishing trips, which make me happy.

....and, you are always welcome to share any shelter i might have in
graham or any other county.

jeff

Conan The Librarian
September 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Bob Patton wrote:

> Good summary, but you forgot the beer. For medicinal purposes only, of
> course.
> (Actually, it's good to remember that there are somewhat unusual rules about
> alcohol sales. Don't assume you can just pick up a supply at the last
> minute. You have to know the code.)

Big "oooops" on my part. The closest booze is in Bryson City, so
make sure and stock up before you get to Robbinsville. Or do like I
did, stock up beforehand and when you run low, make a run to Bryson
City, continue on to Cherokee and fish the Br*dl*y F*rk of the 'Luftee
or other GSMNP waters. Then return to your lodging near Snowbird Creek,
fully stocked up.

Repeat as necessary. :-)

Chuck Vance

Jeff Miller
September 15th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Bevin wrote:

> Alrighty, now I'm getting excited, what with the great details and the
> pictures and all. I really appreciate the info, guys. I'll work on
> getting Bruce there next year - I think he's got plans with Willy and
> Charlie Choc to fish the Rio Grande around this time frame, so I don't
> think he's going anywhere. He and I did, however, spend a couple days
> on the San Juan last weekend. Still learning how to fish from the boat
> on that river - it's a different animal. But we hauled in a few (well,
> Bruce hauled in a pile, and I got a few, but it averages out, right?).
>
> So from looking at the maps on the very nice Graham County website, it
> looks like I can get myself to Robbinsville and then head sorta
> southwest into the Snowbird creek drainage - prolly Forrest Rd 75 to
> the trailhead (??). I'll be pulling in early Friday 10/7 so if anyone
> else is camping, speak up and let me know where to meet and we'll
> circle the wagons.
>
> Bevin,
> Who just ordered a new TFO 7'6" 3wt 'cause he couldn't stand not buying
> a new rod for this trip...

the rod will be perfect for most of the waters...you might want to bring
along an 8 or 9 ft 4 or 5 weight for the lower portions of hazel creek,
but a 3 weight will do just fine if it's all you're bringing.

you'll want to find the snowbird backcountry turn onto big snowbird
creek. it's all paved to the turn and about 3 miles of the backcountry
road is now paved. follow 129/143 northwest out of robbinsville (143
comes into robbinsville from stecoah, intersects with 129 at stoplight -
microtel is at the intersection - turn right at the light, go out of
robbinsville and head toward lake santeetlah...just before a bridge,
take the left turn where 143 branches off of 129. this is at the
eastern tip of the lake. follow the road until you hit a stop sign. turn
right. just keep on the main road until you hit snowbird road on the
left. turn left and follow it until you see the snowbird backcountry
road - there's a small sign. turn right. paved road, goes over a small
bridge that croses little snowbird creek where it joins big snowbird
creek. follow the paved road. in a turn, about a mile or less down the
road, is a small house and a huge timber cabin on the right...very close
to road...you can't miss it. we'll be at the house until the 8th, then
moving to a different location that morning and off to Durham. you're
welcome to use our place.

big snowbird has a lot of campsites by the creek... but, it can be a
popular spot.

jeff

Bevin
September 15th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Jeff,
Thanks tons for the great directions. Between you and Mapquest, I
think I'll be able to find my way around. I'll be pulling in on the
afternoon of the 7th, so I'll find you at the house that evening and
probably take you up on the use of the place while you're rockin' and
rollin'. Otherwise, I'll be camping, and if Bob Patton or anyone else
wants to camp starting Sunday night, we can pick out a nice primitive
area and settle in for the week.
See you soon!
Bevin

Bob Patton
September 16th, 2005, 03:58 AM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
//snip//>
> yup... actually it's rachel's birthday present. she has always wanted to
> see the rs, one of her favorite groups. i've never cared much for
> them...so, i'm happily making rachel happy...and, uh, i'm hoping it goes a
> long way in assuring my ability at some point in the future to take some
> other uninterrupted fishing trips, which make me happy.

Good for you! I'm looking forward to seeing both of you again.
Bob