PDA

View Full Version : o.k, so I created a new post ...

Flycatcher
September 16th, 2005, 06:47 PM
And Ken, you said "There's nothing I can do about top-posting, so anymore
I ignore it." .

In all honesty that was down to my ignorance of etiquette(Thank god there's someone like you to correct me!). Also, I couldn't help but respond to your wit and charm. My sincere apologies!

Re. the site saying "stocked with fish from 1.5 to 10 lbs", thanks for pointing that out to me - I think its a mistake, but will clarify that once I've checked it out. While I've been at Harelaw, the largest stockie I saw caught was a 4.5 lb blue trout - Thats simply because one or 2 larger fish end up going in simply as the supplier can't guarantee that every fish will definitely be less than 3lb. The bigger fish I've seen caught have tended to be (wild) brownies except for a 9 3/4 rainbow and that had definitely been in the water for a very long time. However, I'm not there as often as I'd like to be so there may be one or two others that I'm not aware of.

Re. Not fishing a 102 acre "puddle", each to their own. The best fishing I ever had was in a stream less than 12ft wide and mostly less than 4 inches deep. All the fish were wild and extremely difficult to catch. My record trout from that stream was 3lb 8oz (in 3 inches of water) )and I'd rate that higher than 10 pounders from many waters. I also had a grayling from the same stream - I thought it had equalled the british record of that time (2lbs8oz ), but someone had caught one weighing 2lb 12oz a couple of days earlier (My age is showing here! Its a long time since the record was 2lb 12oz!).

Fishing on smaller waters has some great benefits - especially where surroundings and wildlife are concerned - I've seen wildlife that most people around here would never see in their lives, and Ithink that those experiences have truly enriched my life. Harelaws wildlife can be equally exciting - what is thought to be a black panther has been seen near the loch on a couple of occasions, and this year, a pair of bitterns stayed at the loch for a month or so. I haven't seen any otters there, but it wouldn't surprise me if I did see one there. I have seen Goshawks, peregrine falcons and other more abundant raptors and also picked up a "wild guest" on the way back home 3 weeks ago. The pic is here http://www.harelaw.net/myunusualguest.htm

I've never fished on any truly large waters unless you count an expedition to the mediterranean for swordfish, but I would quite like to try - when time and money permit. At the end of the day, I don't think the quality of my fishing would improve at all if I were to have an attitude of "I wouldn't fish there if you paid me". Also, we don't need to pay for customers - the people who visit tend to become regulars.

Cheers

John

--
Visit Harelaw Trout Fishery
Http://www.harelaw.net

JR
September 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM
> Flycatcher wrote:
>
> And Ken, you said "There's nothing I can do about top-posting, so
> anymore
> I ignore it."
> etc.

Please also turn off the HTML.

Thanks, JR
(Good job with the owl, btw.)

Flycatcher
September 16th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Now done.

"JR" > wrote in message ...
> > Flycatcher wrote:
> >
> > And Ken, you said "There's nothing I can do about top-posting, so
> > anymore
> > I ignore it."
> > etc.
>
> Please also turn off the HTML.
>
> Thanks, JR
> (Good job with the owl, btw.)

Ken Fortenberry
September 16th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Flycatcher wrote:
> <snip html>

No offense intended, John. Like I said, if you like
it, hey, knock yourself out. But truth is, you don't
know what you're missing, and that's OK too, I guess.
You're probably better off that way.

We have stocked pay ponds here too, there are dozens
of them around the Smokies, and I wouldn't fish in
them for love nor money.

Some questions for you:

What's a blue trout ? Likewise, tiger ?

The web site says:
"The season for brown trout, tiger and brook trout runs
from March 15 through to October 6. Rainbows and blue
'bows are available all year round."

What happens on October 7th ? Do all the browns, tigers
and brookies pack up their bags and go to Venezuela to
play winter ball ? ;-)

(That was a baseball joke, sorry I don't speak cricket ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Dave LaCourse
September 16th, 2005, 07:46 PM
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:47:11 +0100, "Flycatcher" >
wrote:

>Also, I couldn't help but =
>respond to your wit and charm. My sincere apologies!

Fortenberry, wit and charm all in the same sentence? That's like
saying the wine was refreshingly repugnant, yet unrefined.

And apologies on roff? Uneffin' heard of! I'd rather fish a stocked
pond or have a spike stuck in my eye than apologize to anyone in this
effin nut house!

Other than that, carry on.

d;o)

Flycatcher
September 16th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I believe that blues and tigers are hybrids of some sort - I'm not that
sure - tigers haven't been stocked for a while, but one or two get caught
from time to time. They have quite spectacular markings similar in a way to
brook trout but even more pronounced. The blue trout looks similar to a
rainbow, but the pinks of the rainbow are instead blue and there is an
overall blue silver sheen about the body. Sorry its not particularly
scientific. I'll try and get some photo's and do a series of species pages
on the web site with more info - once I've "genned up" on them.

The website doesn't mention golden trout either, and I've seen a couple of
those caught as well.

John

"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> Flycatcher wrote:
> > <snip html>
>
> No offense intended, John. Like I said, if you like
> it, hey, knock yourself out. But truth is, you don't
> know what you're missing, and that's OK too, I guess.
> You're probably better off that way.
>
> We have stocked pay ponds here too, there are dozens
> of them around the Smokies, and I wouldn't fish in
> them for love nor money.
>
> Some questions for you:
>
> What's a blue trout ? Likewise, tiger ?
>
> The web site says:
> "The season for brown trout, tiger and brook trout runs
> from March 15 through to October 6. Rainbows and blue
> 'bows are available all year round."
>
> What happens on October 7th ? Do all the browns, tigers
> and brookies pack up their bags and go to Venezuela to
> play winter ball ? ;-)
>
> (That was a baseball joke, sorry I don't speak cricket ;-)
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
September 16th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Dave LaCourse wrote:
> "Flycatcher" wrote:
>>Also, I couldn't help but =
>>respond to your wit and charm. My sincere apologies!
>
> Fortenberry, wit and charm all in the same sentence? ...

HEY !! A lot of folks call me a wit, whether half, nit or
****. And I *am* charming too, just ask my hound dog when
I'm holdin' his food bowl.

> And apologies on roff? Uneffin' heard of! ...

Yep, you're right about that.

--
Ken Fortenberry

September 16th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Don't know about Blue Trout, but a Tiger is a cross between a brown and
a brookie. Fast growing, disease resistant, sterile, and dumb as a box
of rocks. Perfect fish for stricktly put and take fishing......the meat
fishermen here in MA love them. They even tried to get F&W to biuld a
hatchery to raise them.

daytripper
September 16th, 2005, 09:46 PM
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:02:28 +0100, "Flycatcher" > wrote:

>Now done.
>
>"JR" > wrote in message ...
>> > Flycatcher wrote:
>> >
>> > And Ken, you said "There's nothing I can do about top-posting, so
>> > anymore
>> > I ignore it."
>> > etc.
>>
>> Please also turn off the HTML.
>>
>> Thanks, JR
>> (Good job with the owl, btw.)

top posted again

ahahahahaha!!

Flycatcher
September 16th, 2005, 10:11 PM
> Some questions for you:
>
> What's a blue trout ? Likewise, tiger ?
>
> The web site says:
> "The season for brown trout, tiger and brook trout runs
> from March 15 through to October 6. Rainbows and blue
> 'bows are available all year round."
>
> What happens on October 7th ? Do all the browns, tigers
> and brookies pack up their bags and go to Venezuela to
> play winter ball ? ;-)
>
> (That was a baseball joke, sorry I don't speak cricket ;-)
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

The bloke on the on our latest reports page
http://www.harelaw.net/l31072005.htm
bottom right picture is holding a blue trout as is the young lass on
http://harelaw.net/l09092005.htm
and there is a pic of a tiger in the images page - you have to click through
about 8 times.

Ken Fortenberry
September 16th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Flycatcher wrote:
> <snip>
> The website doesn't mention golden trout either, and I've seen a couple of
> those caught as well.

That's disgusting. I'd rather be dry-humped by a half ton
bison snortin' meth than catch a golden trout in a goddamn
trout zoo.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
September 16th, 2005, 11:25 PM
wrote:
> Don't know about Blue Trout, but a Tiger is a cross between a brown and
> a brookie. Fast growing, disease resistant, sterile, and dumb as a box
> of rocks. Perfect fish for stricktly put and take fishing......the meat
> fishermen here in MA love them. They even tried to get F&W to biuld a
> hatchery to raise them.

I wouldn't have thought it possible. Not just different
species, but different genus as well. I found this site:

http://www.patrout.org/tiger.htm

Learn something new every day.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Dave LaCourse
September 16th, 2005, 11:43 PM
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:13:34 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>That's disgusting. I'd rather be dry-humped by a half ton
>bison snortin' meth than catch a golden trout in a goddamn
>trout zoo.

I know of one roffian who has taken a golden from Jurassic Park during
Waldo's Spring Fling. d;o)

rw
September 17th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Dave LaCourse wrote:

> And apologies on roff? Uneffin' heard of! I'd rather fish a stocked
> pond or have a spike stuck in my eye than apologize to anyone in this
> effin nut house!

That would be my preference as well.

Flycatcher
September 17th, 2005, 08:41 PM
"rw" > wrote in message
> Dave LaCourse wrote:
> >
> > And apologies on roff? Uneffin' heard of! I'd rather fish a stocked
> > pond or have a spike stuck in my eye than apologize to anyone in this
> > effin nut house!
>
> That would be my preference as well.
>
> --
> Cut "to the chase" for my email address.

well I'll put that down to cultural differemce. :-)

rw
September 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM
wrote:

> Don't know about Blue Trout, but a Tiger is a cross between a brown and
> a brookie.

Blue trout are a color variant of rainbow trout.

Flycatcher
September 17th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Re. the site saying "stocked with fish from 1.5 to 10 lbs", thanks for pointing that out to me - I think its a mistake, but will clarify that once I've checked it out.

Ok, I got the info from Brian :-

1) what is the standard weight of fish stocked?

"2 and a half pounds"

2) have you stocked fish over this size, if so when was the last time and what were the weights?

"A couple of weeks ago some were stocked up to 7lbs. The last time fish of 10lb were stocked was 2 and a half years ago."

3). When was the last time you stocked tigers?

"Tigers were last stocked in april"

4). I've noticed some golden trout being caught. When were they stocked ?

"occasionally goldies slip through during a stocking. I don't like them. They attract the fecking cormorants."

I'm wondering whether or not to reword the site - what do you think?

rw
September 17th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Flycatcher wrote:
> "rw" > wrote in message
>
>>Dave LaCourse wrote:
>>
>>>And apologies on roff? Uneffin' heard of! I'd rather fish a stocked
>>>pond or have a spike stuck in my eye than apologize to anyone in this
>>>effin nut house!
>>
>>That would be my preference as well.
>>
>>--
>>Cut "to the chase" for my email address.
>

> well I'll put that down to cultural differemce. :-)

I'm merely agreeing with Dave. I'd rather he have a spike stuck in his
eye than apologize (yet again) on ROFF.

Dave LaCourse
September 17th, 2005, 10:10 PM
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:32:27 -0600, rw
> wrote:

>That would be my preference as well.

No, your preference is to never accept an apology, to never bury the
hatchet but hold a grudge for ever and ever.

Flycatcher
September 17th, 2005, 10:17 PM
> I'm merely agreeing with Dave. I'd rather he have a spike stuck in his
> eye than apologize (yet again) on ROFF.
>
> --
> Cut "to the chase" for my email address.

Hmm. I can't see that as particularly appealing - but maybe that's because
I don't know dave as well as you do!

rw
September 17th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Dave LaCourse wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:32:27 -0600, rw
> > wrote:
>

>>That would be my preference as well.
>

> No, your preference is to never accept an apology, to never bury the
> hatchet but hold a grudge for ever and ever.

I accept apologies (and even offer them), but I stop after three from
the same person for basically the same offense. You're on four and counting.

Dave LaCourse
September 17th, 2005, 11:29 PM
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:25:52 -0600, rw
> wrote:

>I accept apologies (and even offer them), but I stop after three from
>the same person for basically the same offense. You're on four and counting.

Aha, so you bury the hatchet but leave the handle sticking out of the
ground? Great way to go about one's life. When I have done wrong, I
try to apologize, even if it is for a repeated offense. I actually
felt bad about calling you a putz.

rw
September 18th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Dave LaCourse wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:25:52 -0600, rw
> > wrote:
>

>>I accept apologies (and even offer them), but I stop after three from
>>the same person for basically the same offense. You're on four and counting.
>

> Aha, so you bury the hatchet but leave the handle sticking out of the
> ground? Great way to go about one's life. When I have done wrong, I
> try to apologize, even if it is for a repeated offense. I actually
> felt bad about calling you a putz.

That particular apology was especially insincere, as you've once again
generously demonstrated.

Face it, Dave. You're just an insincere kind of guy. It defines your
whole persona.