PDA

View Full Version : Flavouring my dry flies

Staalkop
September 16th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Hi Roffians,
a short message from Holland.
I am trying to catch big carp on the dry fly.
It is pretty tough; most of the real big ones are being caught so often,
that they really seem to know the trick.
I am now practising new tactics on smaller ones first.
Results are promising, BUT
I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
SO : let me know what you think of that .....
The carp feel the soft material of the fly, smells and tast the sirop
and seems to forget the rest.
Check it out :
http://hans.pressanykey.nl/homepage/show/pagina.php?paginaid=155991

Wayne Harrison
September 16th, 2005, 10:01 PM
"Staalkop" > wrote in message
>\

> I am now practising new tactics on smaller ones first.
> Results are promising, BUT
> I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
> SO : let me know what you think of that .....

i think you ought to just shoot the poor *******s.

wayno

daytripper
September 16th, 2005, 10:54 PM
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:01:08 GMT, "Wayne Harrison" > wrote:

>"Staalkop" > wrote in message
>>\
>
>> I am now practising new tactics on smaller ones first.
>> Results are promising, BUT
>> I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
>> SO : let me know what you think of that .....
>

> i think you ought to just shoot the poor *******s.

.....an ethical dilemma....

Staalkop
September 16th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Wayne Harrison schreef:
> "Staalkop" > wrote in message
>
>>\
>

>>I am now practising new tactics on smaller ones first.
>>Results are promising, BUT
>>I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
>>SO : let me know what you think of that .....
>

> i think you ought to just shoot the poor *******s.
>
> wayno

Wayno, thanks for your reaction.
I do not get the point ( humor ) I think.
Just to be sure : you think it sucks.. ?!

General Carp fishing is unbelievable hot in Holland.
AND ; I am unable to flyfish for trout at all ( other than fisheries ).
No current rivers in Holland too. So don't punish me to hard for fishing
carp.

The yarn material is artificial and will not keep the sirop in its
fibers, like for example cotton.

When casting 99% of the sticky sirop gets out right away.

When fishing the remaining dissolves in the water.

But : I must admit that I can still smell the sirop slightly after the
fishing.

Thanks anyway,
Hans

Conan The Librarian
September 17th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Wayne Harrison wrote:

> ["sirop" flavored flies for carp]
>
> i think you ought to just shoot the poor *******s.

What caliber?

Chuck Vance (and do you practice C&R?)

Mu Young Lee
September 17th, 2005, 02:02 AM
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Staalkop wrote:

> Hi Roffians,
> a short message from Holland.
> I am trying to catch big carp on the dry fly.
> It is pretty tough; most of the real big ones are being caught so often,
> that they really seem to know the trick.
> I am now practising new tactics on smaller ones first.
> Results are promising, BUT
> I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!

Interesting. There was a spot along a river where I used to live where
floating mulberries would occasionally be eaten by carp. I was told by
another fly fisher that he could catch them on a purple mulberry fly
during those occasions. What fly are you using or do you believe it's
merely the sugar water which attracts them?

Jeff Miller
September 17th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Wayne Harrison wrote:

> "Staalkop" > wrote in message
>
>>\
>

>>I am now practising new tactics on smaller ones first.
>>Results are promising, BUT
>>I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
>>SO : let me know what you think of that .....
>

> i think you ought to just shoot the poor *******s.
>
> wayno

or himself...

Staalkop
September 18th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Jeff Miller schreef:
> Wayne Harrison wrote:
>
>> "Staalkop" > wrote in message
>>
>>> \
>>

>>> I am now practising new tactics on smaller ones first.
>>> Results are promising, BUT
>>> I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
>>> SO : let me know what you think of that .....
>>

>> i think you ought to just shoot the poor *******s.
>>
>> wayno
>>

> or himself...

Thanks for these great comments, boys !

There was a time where on Roff you could get some serious discussions going.
And where at least I had the idea that people were treated with respect.
Well those days seems to be gone. Pitty.

And as far as you are concerned Jeff Miller : go **** yourself, please.

Tim J.
September 18th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Staalkop wrote:
> Jeff Miller schreef:
>> Wayne Harrison wrote:

>>> i think you ought to just shoot the poor *******s.
>>
>> or himself...
>
> Thanks for these great comments, boys !
>
> There was a time where on Roff you could get some serious discussions
> going. And where at least I had the idea that people were treated
> with respect. Well those days seems to be gone.

NAHAY.

> Pitty.

Get a spell checker (right Ken?)

> And as far as you are concerned Jeff Miller : go **** yourself,
> please.

No, thank YOU for YOUR great comment. All of us (yes, all) wish to thank
you for attempting to rid us of that *awful* Jeff Miller fellow. He's as
mean and nasty as a wild teddy bear.

What a moroon.
--
TL,
Tim

Ken Fortenberry
September 18th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Staalkop wrote:
> Jeff Miller schreef:
>> Wayne Harrison wrote:
>>>
>>> i think you ought to just shoot the poor *******s.
>>>
>>> wayno
>>
>> or himself...
>

> Thanks for these great comments, boys !
>
> There was a time where on Roff you could get some serious discussions
> going.
> And where at least I had the idea that people were treated with respect.
> Well those days seems to be gone. Pitty.
>
> And as far as you are concerned Jeff Miller : go **** yourself, please.

Believe it or not, that post demonstrates great strides in
netiquette and civility for our Jeffie and Wayno was just
trying to be hilarious.

You're somewhat confused with your roff history, I've been
here since the epoch and I can't ever remember a time when
people were treated with respect.

As for trolling with sirop you might want to check out our
tamer cousin newsgroup rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Sandy tried to start essentially the same argument over
over there with about as much success. Look for Crayfish.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
September 18th, 2005, 11:35 PM
"Staalkop" > wrote in message

> Thanks for these great comments, boys !
>
> There was a time where on Roff you could get some serious discussions
> going.
> And where at least I had the idea that people were treated with respect.
> Well those days seems to be gone. Pitty.
>
> And as far as you are concerned Jeff Miller : go **** yourself, please.

For all the advancements in digital technology in the last couple of
decades, no one has yet perfected a method of separating God's own gold from
the chaff in usenet. For those of us who have been here for a while, this
does not come entirely as a surprise. Yet more perplexing is the
indisputable fact that a lot of the gold looks suspiciously like the chaff
at a glance.....even, sometimes, upon close scrutiny. And then there's the
inside jokes and all that ****.

Do yourself a really big favor. Hold up and admire what nuggets you find
and, more importantly, remember that the surface of even the supposedly
incorruptible can be misleading. The responses you've gotten here thus far
are from a truly sterling group of individuals.

Stick around......grow a hide.

Um......well, that Miller guy.........

Wolfgang
who loves ya, jeffie? :)

Staalkop
September 19th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Wolfgang schreef:
> "Staalkop" > wrote in message
>

>>Thanks for these great comments, boys !
>>
>>There was a time where on Roff you could get some serious discussions
>>going.
>>And where at least I had the idea that people were treated with respect.
>>Well those days seems to be gone. Pitty.
>>
>>And as far as you are concerned Jeff Miller : go **** yourself, please.
>

> For all the advancements in digital technology in the last couple of
> decades, no one has yet perfected a method of separating God's own gold from
> the chaff in usenet. For those of us who have been here for a while, this
> does not come entirely as a surprise. Yet more perplexing is the
> indisputable fact that a lot of the gold looks suspiciously like the chaff
> at a glance.....even, sometimes, upon close scrutiny. And then there's the
> inside jokes and all that ****.
>
> Do yourself a really big favor. Hold up and admire what nuggets you find
> and, more importantly, remember that the surface of even the supposedly
> incorruptible can be misleading. The responses you've gotten here thus far
> are from a truly sterling group of individuals.
>
> Stick around......grow a hide.
>
> Um......well, that Miller guy.........
>
> Wolfgang
> who loves ya, jeffie? :)

Thanks Wolfgang for your effort. Maybe you are right.
I will stick around and hope to grow hide, yes.

After the first few nonsens comments I did not react at all.
Then I tried to post another more explaining additional post.
And I must confess : not too much bull **** upon that post.
Untill someone says that I should shoot myself. Well sorry, but if you
call that inside jokes........
I hope that this post will not lead to even more nonsens, but I'm not at
all sure about it.
(And sorry guys my spellchecker is broken and my english will not get
any better)

Tim J.
September 19th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Staalkop wrote:
> Maybe you are right.
> I will stick around and hope to grow hide, yes.
>
> After the first few nonsens comments I did not react at all.
> Then I tried to post another more explaining additional post.
> And I must confess : not too much bull **** upon that post.
> Untill someone says that I should shoot myself. Well sorry, but if you
> call that inside jokes........

It's called sarcasm - something we here in the U.S. use a LOT, and
something that translates very poorly.

> I hope that this post will not lead to even more nonsens, but I'm not
> at all sure about it.
> (And sorry guys my spellchecker is broken and my english will not get
> any better)

That was just some more of that sarcasm stuff that didn't translate
well, as well an an inside joke. Your english is fine.

.. . . and using syrup or other flavorings on flies defeats part of the
sport, in my opinion. A large part of our sport in based on fooling the
fish into believing they see a bug of some sort on or in the water.
Adding flavorings or attractants takes much of that sport away.
--
TL,
Tim

Tim J.
September 19th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Tim J. wrote:

> . . . and using syrup or other flavorings on flies defeats part of the
> sport, in my opinion. A large part of our sport in based on fooling
> the fish into believing they see a bug of some sort on or in the
> water. Adding flavorings or attractants takes much of that sport away.

Sorry, all. I forgot to mention that today is redundancy day today is
redundancy day.
--
TL,
Tim

rw
September 19th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Staalkop wrote:

> Hi Roffians,
> a short message from Holland.
> I am trying to catch big carp on the dry fly.
> It is pretty tough; most of the real big ones are being caught so often,
> that they really seem to know the trick.
> I am now practising new tactics on smaller ones first.
> Results are promising, BUT
> I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
> SO : let me know what you think of that .....
> The carp feel the soft material of the fly, smells and tast the sirop
> and seems to forget the rest.
> Check it out :
> http://hans.pressanykey.nl/homepage/show/pagina.php?paginaid=155991

Interesting, but highly unethical. :-) Why not just use a piece of bread
on a hook?

Nice photos.

Cyli
September 19th, 2005, 03:59 AM
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:12:36 +0200, Staalkop >
wrote:

>Thanks for these great comments, boys !
>
>There was a time where on Roff you could get some serious discussions going.

Still can. But not about syrup on flies.

>And where at least I had the idea that people were treated with respect.

Must have been years ago. Before I started reading the group.
Trolls have not often been treated with respect here in my tenure.

>Well those days seems to be gone. Pitty.

Does this mean you don't love us any more? What about those promises
you made? What about the children? Will you send us palimony?

>And as far as you are concerned Jeff Miller : go **** yourself, please.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

Jeff Miller
September 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Staalkop wrote:
> Jeff Miller schreef:
>
>> Wayne Harrison wrote:

>>> i think you ought to just shoot the poor *******s.
>>>
>>> wayno
>>>

>> or himself...
>

> Thanks for these great comments, boys !
>
> There was a time where on Roff you could get some serious discussions
> going.
> And where at least I had the idea that people were treated with respect.
> Well those days seems to be gone. Pitty.
>
> And as far as you are concerned Jeff Miller : go **** yourself, please.

will do. sure. but, um, perhaps you can help a bit. when you do it, do
you use sirop? thanks, and, uh, perhaps you can work on that sterling
sense of humor a bit while i'm ****ing myself, eh?

jeff

Flycatcher
September 19th, 2005, 08:29 PM
> I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
> SO : let me know what you think of that .....
> The carp feel the soft material of the fly, smells and tast the sirop
> and seems to forget the rest.
> Check it out :
> http://hans.pressanykey.nl/homepage/show/pagina.php?paginaid=155991

Well I reckon its a very novel approach to carp fishing. I wouldn't feel
right about using that method for trout though.

Staalkop
September 19th, 2005, 11:13 PM
rw schreef:
> Staalkop wrote:
>
>> Hi Roffians,
>> a short message from Holland.
>> I am trying to catch big carp on the dry fly.
>> It is pretty tough; most of the real big ones are being caught so
>> often, that they really seem to know the trick.
>> I am now practising new tactics on smaller ones first.
>> Results are promising, BUT
>> I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
>> SO : let me know what you think of that .....
>> The carp feel the soft material of the fly, smells and tast the sirop
>> and seems to forget the rest.
>> Check it out :
>> http://hans.pressanykey.nl/homepage/show/pagina.php?paginaid=155991
>

> Interesting, but highly unethical. :-) Why not just use a piece of bread
> on a hook?
>
> Nice photos.

Hi rw,
to me thats another step further away from feathers and fur.
The step after that would be using another rod...
But thanks for your reaction!

Staalkop
September 19th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Flycatcher schreef:
>>I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
>>SO : let me know what you think of that .....
>>The carp feel the soft material of the fly, smells and tast the sirop
>>and seems to forget the rest.
>>Check it out :
>>http://hans.pressanykey.nl/homepage/show/pagina.php?paginaid=155991
>

> Well I reckon its a very novel approach to carp fishing. I wouldn't feel
> right about using that method for trout though.

Thanks flycatcher;
I don't feel that the fish makes the difference.
It's about the tactic.

opie
September 19th, 2005, 11:40 PM
"Staalkop" > wrote in message
> Flycatcher schreef:
>>>I FLAVOUR MY FLIES IN SIROP !!!!!
>>>SO : let me know what you think of that .....
>>>The carp feel the soft material of the fly, smells and tast the sirop
>>>and seems to forget the rest.
>>>Check it out :
>>>http://hans.pressanykey.nl/homepage/show/pagina.php?paginaid=155991
>>

>> Well I reckon its a very novel approach to carp fishing. I wouldn't
>> feel
>> right about using that method for trout though.
>>

> Thanks flycatcher;
> I don't feel that the fish makes the difference.
> It's about the tactic.

How many insects do you suspect taste of syrup?

I try to attract fish with as realistic an insect imitation as I can create
or buy. If you want to attract the fish with a taste or smell component,
puree some mayflies 9or what ever bug suits you) and smear the resultant
ooze on your fly,.

Mark

Flycatcher
September 20th, 2005, 05:44 AM
> Thanks flycatcher;
> I don't feel that the fish makes the difference.
> It's about the tactic.

You're absolutely right of course! I hope to do some fly fishing for pike
at some point and there are also carp in the water, so I might give it a go.

Flycatcher
September 20th, 2005, 08:26 PM
"Flycatcher" > wrote in message

> > Thanks flycatcher;
> > I don't feel that the fish makes the difference.
> > It's about the tactic.
>
> You're absolutely right of course! I hope to do some fly fishing for
pike
> at some point and there are also carp in the water, so I might give it a
go.

By the way, the carp and pike are at another fishing venue - Harelaw only
has trout minnows and perch.
(Just to avoid any confusion :-) )