PDA

View Full Version : Fly Boxes -- Advice?

Daniel-San
September 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM
I'm thinking of replacing the foam cheapies I'm currently using.

Wondering which types/brands you guys use, and why.

I've been thinking of something similar to a small Plano box with a bunch of
compartments. Keep a bunch of different flies together in one spot and that
sort of thing. The only downside to this (that I can see, anyway) is that if
you tip it over or drop it, you're in for a really bad day.

I'm pretty sure I like my current general organization -- one medium (3" x
5" (??)) box for mays, one for caddis and stone patterns, one for
streamers/nymphs, and one for bigger flies/whatever I pick up at the shop
before hitting the river. I am of course open to suggestions on this aspect,
also.

I'd like to keep the cost reasonable (mebbe 100-150 max for the whole set),
but if something costs a little more, not a major issue.

Muchas gracias,
Dan
Who had a great time troutin' during the salmon run on the PM last weekend.

Mu Young Lee
September 22nd, 2005, 04:27 PM
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Daniel-San wrote:

> I'm thinking of replacing the foam cheapies I'm currently using.
>
> Wondering which types/brands you guys use, and why.

C&F swingleaf. Holds about 1000 midges and small nymphs.
C&F regular. Doesn't crush hackles on dry flies.

Both are lightweight.

Orvis/Cortland Nubby Tack plastic box for streamers
C&F microslit is not good for holding all but the smallest streamers.
Also not good for holding weighted streamers like clousers.

Otterbox waterproof compartment box for small sal****er bugs
Otterbox waterproof Nubby Tack box for sal****er sreamers

Mu

Allyn Vaughn
September 23rd, 2005, 04:42 AM
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:04:28 GMT, "Daniel-San"
> wrote:

>I'm thinking of replacing the foam cheapies I'm currently using.
>
>Wondering which types/brands you guys use, and why.

Perrine 66 aluminum fly boxes. Holds about 60 flies on six sets of
clips with wire rings inside. Holds up nice and lasts a long time.
Can get a little congested with the flies on each row, but fit in the
vest or shirt pocket right nice.

B J Conner
September 23rd, 2005, 06:25 AM
And they float so good.
"Allyn Vaughn" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:04:28 GMT, "Daniel-San"
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm thinking of replacing the foam cheapies I'm currently using.
> >
> >Wondering which types/brands you guys use, and why.
> >

> Perrine 66 aluminum fly boxes. Holds about 60 flies on six sets of
> clips with wire rings inside. Holds up nice and lasts a long time.
> Can get a little congested with the flies on each row, but fit in the
> vest or shirt pocket right nice.

bruiser
September 23rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
Allyn,

Send me your snail mail address and I'll send you a brand new Perrine
box that I "won" at a ROFF raffle. You're the first person I'm aware
of that really likes those boxes. When you see a Perrine box it's
usually filled with rusty old flies from 30 years ago.

Seriously, I'd be happy to send it to you and it might even have a few
(new) flies in it when it arrives!

bruce h

Scott Seidman
September 23rd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Allyn Vaughn > wrote in
:

> Perrine 66 aluminum fly boxes. Holds about 60 flies on six sets of
> clips with wire rings inside. Holds up nice and lasts a long time.
> Can get a little congested with the flies on each row, but fit in the
> vest or shirt pocket right nice.

I've never heard of anyone else finding these boxes anywhere near useful.
I avoid them like the plague.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Bob La Londe
September 23rd, 2005, 04:09 PM
For my small flies I have a great plano box that has a row of soft foam ribs
I stick the hooks into. It easily hold 30-40 small flies, and I keep a
couple spare leaders and stuff in the other side of the box. For the big
poppers and streamers I have a hard plastic divider box.

Bob La Londe

Win a Spinnerbait Tackle Kit

Spinnerbait Tips & Tricks Contest
Through the Month of September 2005

http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Lazarus Cooke
September 23rd, 2005, 09:36 PM
In article >, Daniel-San
> wrote:

> I'm thinking of replacing the foam cheapies I'm currently using.
>
> Wondering which types/brands you guys use, and why.

I use mainly Wheatley boxes for dry flies (although when I'm in Ireland
I use a wonderful American "CommonSense" wet and dry fly leather fly
book)

Neither of these is perhaps the most efficient for the job, but,
dammit, they're beautiful, like my 8' Hardy cane rod, my Hardy Perfect
reel, and my Phoenix silk line.

And all of them catch all the fish I really want.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

Wayne Knight
September 23rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
Lazarus Cooke wrote:
> my Hardy Perfect reel,

If you ever run accross a left hand retrieve perfect for sale in a
small size, please drop me an email.

thanks

wayne

Ken Fortenberry
September 23rd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Wayne Knight wrote:
> Lazarus Cooke wrote:
>> my Hardy Perfect reel,
>
> If you ever run accross a left hand retrieve perfect for sale in a
> small size, please drop me an email.

I have a left retrieve 3 1/8" Hardy Perfect, it's loaded
with a Cortland Sylk DT4 and I use it on my Zimboo.

Make me an offer, if it's over 4 figures I'll throw in
the fly line. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Scott Seidman
September 23rd, 2005, 10:08 PM
Ken Fortenberry > wrote in news:l5_Ye.1358
:

> I have a left retrieve 3 1/8" Hardy Perfect, it's loaded
> with a Cortland Sylk DT4 and I use it on my Zimboo.
>
> Make me an offer, if it's over 4 figures I'll throw in
> the fly line. ;-)
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

If you mean significant digits, I'll go $23.01

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Wayne Knight
September 23rd, 2005, 10:09 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> I have a left retrieve 3 1/8" Hardy Perfect, it's loaded
> with a Cortland Sylk DT4 and I use it on my Zimboo.
>
> Make me an offer, if it's over 4 figures I'll throw in
> the fly line. ;-)

If I remember the story corectly, I could never insult you by offering
4 figures for taking the memories of the fine gift of a reel you were
given by your professor.

But if there's a graphite or glass rod you're interested in :)

rw
September 23rd, 2005, 10:30 PM
Lazarus Cooke wrote:
> In article >, Daniel-San
> > wrote:
>

>>I'm thinking of replacing the foam cheapies I'm currently using.
>>
>>Wondering which types/brands you guys use, and why.
>

> I use mainly Wheatley boxes for dry flies (although when I'm in Ireland
> I use a wonderful American "CommonSense" wet and dry fly leather fly
> book)
>
> Neither of these is perhaps the most efficient for the job, but,
> dammit, they're beautiful, like my 8' Hardy cane rod, my Hardy Perfect
> reel, and my Phoenix silk line.
>
> And all of them catch all the fish I really want.

Morrel foam boxes is all I put in my vest these days.

I have a Wheatley and a Okuma "Wheatley knockoff." They both suck, but
the Okuma is the better of the two. Regardless, both are consigned to
the very bottom of one of my never-to-be-used-again gear boxes.

Ken Fortenberry
September 23rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
Wayne Knight wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>

>>I have a left retrieve 3 1/8" Hardy Perfect, it's loaded
>>with a Cortland Sylk DT4 and I use it on my Zimboo.
>>
>>Make me an offer, if it's over 4 figures I'll throw in
>>the fly line. ;-)
>

> If I remember the story corectly, I could never insult you by offering
> 4 figures for taking the memories of the fine gift of a reel you were
> given by your professor.

He wasn't *my* professor, he was an English Prof who
thought a NeXT was just what he needed to facilitate
handwriting analysis of medieval scrolls. Apparently
there is value in knowing which particular monk did
the transcribing of the scroll.

I was the NeXT guy on campus but I couldn't help him
much officially during working hours because he didn't
have any money so I set up NeXT boxes at his office and
his home after hours and on weekends. The folks who did
have money were mostly asshole chemists and engineers
so it was my pleasure to do computer weenie stuff for
an English Prof and I never asked for a thing in return
except beer.

When it was all done he gave me a first edition of
_Muriel Foster's Fishing Diary_ and a Hardy Perfect.
And you're right, I'd no sooner part with that reel
than with the Zimboo rod I pair it with.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
September 23rd, 2005, 10:56 PM
Scott Seidman wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>>Make me an offer, if it's over 4 figures I'll throw in
>>the fly line. ;-)
>
> If you mean significant digits, I'll go $23.01

Just kidding, Scott. Notice the ;-) and see my response
to Wayne.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Larry L
September 23rd, 2005, 11:52 PM
> the very bottom of one of my never-to-be-used-again gear boxes.

DISCLAIMER: This is one of LarryL's weird off thread replies to nobody in
particular .... boring stuff to follow

That never-to-be-used-again gear box has been giving me headaches lately.
I've seen a few people pass on the last couple years leaving so much 'stuff'
behind it was a real pain for their loved ones. So, I'm cleaning out my
****, determined to stop being a slave to crap I own and even more
determined to avoid making others deal with it, when I can't. The
problem? It's damn hard to ashcan "perfectly good ****." <g> But each week
I manage something, toss an old rod, fly box, decoys, or something.

Fwiw, it always brings a very real feeling of freedom to see the long unused
crap go, but it's still hard to throw it out .... in our culture we're so
trained to "want more, more, more, and consume, consume, consume" that the
idea of wanting to own a lot less seems a bit evil. I have a 40ft X 60ft
shop that has collected junk for years, my goal is to see it empty, or damn
near so.

Wolfgang
September 24th, 2005, 01:16 AM
"Larry L" > wrote in message

>> the very bottom of one of my never-to-be-used-again gear boxes.
>>

> DISCLAIMER: This is one of LarryL's weird off thread replies to nobody in
> particular .... boring stuff to follow
>

> That never-to-be-used-again gear box has been giving me headaches lately.
> I've seen a few people pass on the last couple years leaving so much
> 'stuff' behind it was a real pain for their loved ones. So, I'm cleaning
> out my ****, determined to stop being a slave to crap I own and even more
> determined to avoid making others deal with it, when I can't. The
> problem? It's damn hard to ashcan "perfectly good ****." <g> But each
> week I manage something, toss an old rod, fly box, decoys, or something.
>
> Fwiw, it always brings a very real feeling of freedom to see the long
> unused crap go, but it's still hard to throw it out .... in our culture
> we're so trained to "want more, more, more, and consume, consume, consume"
> that the idea of wanting to own a lot less seems a bit evil. I have a
> 40ft X 60ft shop that has collected junk for years, my goal is to see it
> empty, or damn near so.

Throwing the stuff away doesn't solve the problem. It IS the problem.

Wolfgang
only in murrica.

Cyli
September 24th, 2005, 01:27 AM
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:52:00 GMT, "Larry L"
> wrote:

(snipped)

>Fwiw, it always brings a very real feeling of freedom to see the long unused
>crap go, but it's still hard to throw it out ....

Why are you throwing it away? Doesn't anyone else want it? You don't
have to eBay it, but a garage sale would be good. Or finding a local
teacher with students who could use it. My local Goodwill has very
little sports equipment. Your local charity store might want some.

It took us months to find a family that wanted and needed the almost
new kid bunk bed we were giving away. It suited them perfectly and we
glowed with the knowledge that it had gone to good use to someone who
couldn't possibly have afforded it.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

Mike Connor
September 24th, 2005, 01:57 AM