PDA

View Full Version : Odd aroma

Bob Patton
September 26th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Recently while fishing in a stream in a remote area in the Smokies known for
various agricultural-related activities that don't involve paying taxes,
there was a fairly strong smell. Not quite like gunpowder or cordite, but
seemed sulfurous. There are reported to be meth labs in the vicinity, but I
don't know what that'd smell like.

(I was alone, had taken a shower within at least the last couple of weeks,
and there were no particular bodily emanations that could explain it.)

Anybody have any ideas?

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Wolfgang
September 26th, 2005, 08:31 PM
"Bob Patton" > wrote in message
> Recently while fishing in a stream in a remote area in the Smokies known
> for various agricultural-related activities that don't involve paying
> taxes, there was a fairly strong smell. Not quite like gunpowder or
> cordite, but seemed sulfurous. There are reported to be meth labs in the
> vicinity, but I don't know what that'd smell like.
>
> (I was alone, had taken a shower within at least the last couple of weeks,
> and there were no particular bodily emanations that could explain it.)
>
> Anybody have any ideas?

The usual suspects are water containing sulfur compounds leached out of
surrounding rocks or products of anaerobic decomposition. Any springs or
boggy spots in the neighborhood?

Wolfgang

BJ Conner
September 26th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Were there any nearby outcroppings of coal? Most coal has some sulpher
associated with it. I am glad I don't work around the stuff anymore.
Sometimes and somekinds of it smelled like nothing else.

Bob Patton wrote:
> Recently while fishing in a stream in a remote area in the Smokies known for
> various agricultural-related activities that don't involve paying taxes,
> there was a fairly strong smell. Not quite like gunpowder or cordite, but
> seemed sulfurous. There are reported to be meth labs in the vicinity, but I
> don't know what that'd smell like.
>
> (I was alone, had taken a shower within at least the last couple of weeks,
> and there were no particular bodily emanations that could explain it.)
>
> Anybody have any ideas?
>
> --
> Bob Patton
> (remove hat to respond)

MichaelM
September 26th, 2005, 10:03 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Bob Patton" > wrote in message
> > Recently while fishing in a stream in a remote area in the Smokies known
> > for various agricultural-related activities that don't involve paying
> > taxes, there was a fairly strong smell. Not quite like gunpowder or
> > cordite, but seemed sulfurous. There are reported to be meth labs in the
> > vicinity, but I don't know what that'd smell like.
> >
> > (I was alone, had taken a shower within at least the last couple of
weeks,
> > and there were no particular bodily emanations that could explain it.)
> >
> > Anybody have any ideas?
>
> The usual suspects are water containing sulfur compounds leached out of
> surrounding rocks or products of anaerobic decomposition. Any springs or
> boggy spots in the neighborhood?

could be hydrogen sulphide. Used to fish a lot for inland mangrove tarpon
in the cayman islands and boy did that swamp stink of rotten eggs. Now and
then you could see a cloudy film develop on the water's surface to be later
dissipated by gusts of wind. How the tarpon lived in that severely anoxic
water i don't know (they gulped a lot of air when rolling ~ I used to hear
them making an odd gasping noise now and then).

Scott Seidman
September 26th, 2005, 10:30 PM
"Bob Patton" > wrote in news:xWJZe.9776$P7.5938
@fe06.lga:

> Anybody have any ideas?

Brimstone, Bob. You need to pay more attention to spiritual matters.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Scott Seidman
September 26th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Scott Seidman > wrote in
. 1.4:

> "Bob Patton" > wrote in news:xWJZe.9776$P7.5938
> @fe06.lga:
>
>> Anybody have any ideas?
>>

> Brimstone, Bob. You need to pay more attention to spiritual matters.

For that matter, could be 'brim'-stone, if you're in the NC area!

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Wayne Harrison
September 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
"Bob Patton" > wrote in message
> Recently while fishing in a stream in a remote area in the Smokies known
> for various agricultural-related activities that don't involve paying
> taxes, there was a fairly strong smell. Not quite like gunpowder or
> cordite, but seemed sulfurous.

> Anybody have any ideas?

i think it might be the odor released from the disturbance of leaves
rotting in deep, silted eddies. i have walked through many areas such as
that, and created bubbles from hell.

could be that someone passed through the area closely ahead, and stirred
the pot, so to speak.

no way it was a meth lab. no nearby market.

yfitons
wayno

Bob Patton
September 30th, 2005, 02:58 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think it was from decomposing
muck - I could smell it from fifteen feet away from the stream, and the
stream was awful small. and the smell was a bit sharper than the mucky
smell. It was clear that nobody else had been in the stream recently.
There's no coal in the area. There weren't any preachers around, so it
probably warn't brimstone.

I don't know what a meth lab smells like, but I'd sure rather run into
a bear than run into a meth lab operation.

Bob

Danl
September 30th, 2005, 03:10 AM
No doubt you've found the final resting place of Waldo's Waders... let's
give Wally a break and not call the EPA on this one, ok?

Danl

"Bob Patton" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think it was from decomposing
> muck - I could smell it from fifteen feet away from the stream, and the
> stream was awful small. and the smell was a bit sharper than the mucky
> smell. It was clear that nobody else had been in the stream recently.
> There's no coal in the area. There weren't any preachers around, so it
> probably warn't brimstone.
>
> I don't know what a meth lab smells like, but I'd sure rather run into
> a bear than run into a meth lab operation.
>
> Bob

Stan Gula
September 30th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Bob Patton wrote:
> I don't know what a meth lab smells like...

Ether and/or ammonia, depending on what they're leaking/dumping on the
ground.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

rw
September 30th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Stan Gula wrote:
> Bob Patton wrote:
>
>>I don't know what a meth lab smells like...
>

> Ether and/or ammonia, depending on what they're leaking/dumping on the
> ground.

I thought they smelled like Sudafed. :-)

BTW: The very last thing you want to stumble upon in the woods is a bear
on meth. Covered with blood. Human blood.

Stan Gula
September 30th, 2005, 11:45 AM

rw wrote:
> I thought they smelled like Sudafed. :-)

Speaking of which, apparently only criminals want to buy Sudafed in
Masschusetts now. Only drugstores can sell pseudoephedrine, and they moved
them behind the counter so you have to ask a pharmacist for them. The PA
was very uncomfortable giving me a box of 96... There's some noise in the
papers now and then about making people sign a register if they buy more
than 16. Effing knee jerk reactionaries. They've busted one meth lab
within 100 miles of here in the past 5 years and so now they decide they
need to hide the Sudafed and treat everybody with allergies like a potential
crminal. Supposedly they want the police to investigate anybody who buys
"too many". Clueless, absolutely clueless.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Conan The Librarian
September 30th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Stan Gula wrote:

> Speaking of which, apparently only criminals want to buy Sudafed in
> Masschusetts now. Only drugstores can sell pseudoephedrine, and they moved
> them behind the counter so you have to ask a pharmacist for them. The PA
> was very uncomfortable giving me a box of 96... There's some noise in the
> papers now and then about making people sign a register if they buy more
> than 16. Effing knee jerk reactionaries. They've busted one meth lab
> within 100 miles of here in the past 5 years and so now they decide they
> need to hide the Sudafed and treat everybody with allergies like a potential
> crminal. Supposedly they want the police to investigate anybody who buys
> "too many". Clueless, absolutely clueless.

They already have law like that down here. I don't know what the
cutoff is, but you have to present your driver's license and sign a log
(just like you would for a prescription) when you buy the stuff. SWMBO
had it happen to her recently.

Supposedly it came about because clerks were allowing folks to buy
thousands of pills at a time. ("But I have *really* bad allergies.")

Chuck Vance

Bob Patton
October 1st, 2005, 04:49 AM
"Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
> Stan Gula wrote:

//snip//
> They already have law like that down here. I don't know what the
> cutoff is, but you have to present your driver's license and sign a log
> (just like you would for a prescription) when you buy the stuff. SWMBO
> had it happen to her recently.
>
> Supposedly it came about because clerks were allowing folks to buy
> thousands of pills at a time. ("But I have *really* bad allergies.")
>

> Chuck Vance

Just returned from a week in Seattle and Portland. In Oregon, there's now a
law that makes anything containing pseudoephedrine a prescription drug.

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Bob Patton
October 1st, 2005, 04:51 AM
"Danl" > wrote in message
> No doubt you've found the final resting place of Waldo's Waders... let's
> give Wally a break and not call the EPA on this one, ok?
>

> Danl

Agreed.
Normally, the aroma of anything like H2S would make me look for somebody
from ROFF. I couldn't see anybody, though, and so far nobody has stepped up
.. . .

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Bob Patton
October 1st, 2005, 04:59 AM
"Stan Gula" > wrote in message
//snip//>
> Ether and/or ammonia, depending on what they're leaking/dumping on the
> ground.
> --
> Stan Gula
> http://gula.org/roffswaps

****. That sounds like my fishing duffle bag . . . Maybe I should wash my
clothes.

Reminds me. Flying back from Portland tonight I had to change planes in
Denver and a fellow got on there who deserves a comment. White guy about 25
with dreadlocks and a beard and an odor that everybody on the plane could
smell. Accompanied by flies.

Anybody here fly from Denver to St Louis on American tonight?

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Cyli
October 1st, 2005, 09:31 AM
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:45:49 GMT, "Stan Gula"
> wrote:

>>> Ether and/or ammonia, depending on what they're leaking/dumping on
>>> the ground.
>>
>rw wrote:
>> I thought they smelled like Sudafed. :-)
>
>Speaking of which, apparently only criminals want to buy Sudafed in
>Masschusetts now. Only drugstores can sell pseudoephedrine, and they moved
>them behind the counter so you have to ask a pharmacist for them. The PA
>was very uncomfortable giving me a box of 96... There's some noise in the
>papers now and then about making people sign a register if they buy more
>than 16. Effing knee jerk reactionaries. They've busted one meth lab
>within 100 miles of here in the past 5 years and so now they decide they
>need to hide the Sudafed and treat everybody with allergies like a potential
>crminal. Supposedly they want the police to investigate anybody who buys
>"too many". Clueless, absolutely clueless.

That's what I thought about the ephedra ban. I occasionally used it
as a mild tea and it was very good for a few things that ailed me.
But some dieters overused it and a couple of them died (probably were
using other stuff, too) and it's all gone now. Pseudoephidrene
doesn't work well for anything for me.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)