PDA

View Full Version : Yet two more time wasters...

riverman
September 29th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Here's a couple. I bet this one fools ya:

http://tinyurl.com/dz3zq

....and enjoy this one. It amazes me, and I'm not all that easily
amazed.

http://y.20q.net/anon

--riverman

Wolfgang
September 29th, 2005, 06:08 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Here's a couple. I bet this one fools ya:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/dz3zq

Fooled me. Stopping to think about it for a moment afterwards provides one
of those "DOH!" moments.

> ...and enjoy this one. It amazes me, and I'm not all that easily
> amazed.
>
> http://y.20q.net/anon

It took 26 questions to correctly identify a scalpel. We disagreed on the
correct answers to five questions:

1. Can you use it at school? I said yes......the machine says no.
2. Can you get information by using it? I said probably....the machine says
no.
3. Is it something you bring along? I said yes.....the machine says no.
4. Is it dangerous? I said depends.....the machine says yes.
5. Does it require specific knowledge to use it? I said no.....the machine
says yes.

Wolfgang
who, for the nonce, will continue to do his own dissections. :)

Scott Seidman
September 29th, 2005, 06:29 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in :

> http://y.20q.net/anon
29 questions to can opener
You were thinking of a can opener.
You said it is classified as Unknown, I say Other.
Is it larger than a pound of butter? You said Probably, I say No.
Do you use it at night? You said Sometimes, I say No.
Do you use it in public? You said Sometimes, I say No.
Is it straight? You said No, I say Yes.
Is it used during meals? You said Sometimes, I say No.
Can you use it at school? You said Yes, I say No.

Now I have to stop using my can opener in public :(
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Scott Seidman
September 29th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Scott Seidman > wrote in
. 1.4:

>> http://y.20q.net/anon

It won!

16. Is it combustible? Probably.
15. Does it burn? Probably.
14. Is it a part of something larger? Yes.
13. Does a hockey player use it? Yes.
12. Does it help accomplish tasks? No.
11. Does it go inside other things? Depends.
10. Do you hold it when you use it? No.
9. Does it bring joy to people? No.
8. Do you wear it? Yes.
7. Is it a common household object? Yes.
6. Do you clean it regularly? No.
5. Would you wear it on your wedding day? Probably.
4. Does it usually have four corners? No.
3. Is it hard? No.
2. Could you send it in the mail? Yes.
1. It is classified as Other.

Does it go inside other things? You said Depends, I say Yes.
Does it help accomplish tasks? You said No, I say Yes.
Does it burn? You said Probably, I say No.
Is it combustible? You said Probably, I say No.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Scottish Fly Fisher
September 29th, 2005, 07:15 PM
On 29 Sep 2005 17:35:52 GMT, Scott Seidman
> wrote:

>Scott Seidman > wrote in
. 1.4:

>>> http://y.20q.net/anon
>
>It won!
>
>16. Is it combustible? Probably.
>15. Does it burn? Probably.
>14. Is it a part of something larger? Yes.
>13. Does a hockey player use it? Yes.
>12. Does it help accomplish tasks? No.
>11. Does it go inside other things? Depends.
>10. Do you hold it when you use it? No.
>9. Does it bring joy to people? No.
>8. Do you wear it? Yes.
>7. Is it a common household object? Yes.
>6. Do you clean it regularly? No.
>5. Would you wear it on your wedding day? Probably.
>4. Does it usually have four corners? No.
>3. Is it hard? No.
>2. Could you send it in the mail? Yes.
>1. It is classified as Other.
>

>Does it go inside other things? You said Depends, I say Yes.
>Does it help accomplish tasks? You said No, I say Yes.
>Does it burn? You said Probably, I say No.
>Is it combustible? You said Probably, I say No.

This is disturbing... it took 29 questions to get "Birth Control
Pill."

Before that it guessed... mothball and suppository. :-S No wonder the
population of the world keeps going up!

John
http://groups.msn.com/scottishflyfisher
Responsible anglers catch and release.
Lose the barbs or lose the fish!

Jarmo Hurri
September 29th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Good ones! The first one made me feel very ashamed for a second. The
20q site was amazing - it guessed circus correctly after just 16
questions, none of which I thought was very revealing.

If you want to continue wasting time and get your eyes crossed at the
same time, go here:

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

Frank Reid
September 29th, 2005, 09:05 PM
You were thinking of a refrigerator.
You said it is classified as Mineral, I say Other.
Does it shine? You said Yes, I say No.
Is it worth a lot of money? You said Depends, I say Yes.

Got it in 20.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Frank Reid
September 29th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I beat it with wool yarn. Its not in the data base.

JR
September 29th, 2005, 09:59 PM
riverman wrote:

> http://y.20q.net/anon

Pretty cool.

It guessed "tennis court" instead of "fly rod" with these responses:

19. Does it require specific knowledge to use it? Maybe.
18. Is it considered valuable? Sometimes.
17. Is it made out of wood? Sometimes.
16. Is it made of metal? No.
15. Can you put something into it? No.
14. Is it used for entertainment? Yes.
13. Does it come in many varieties? Yes.
12. Is it smooth? Yes.
11. Do you know any songs about it? No.
10. Can it affect you (cause an effect to you)? Maybe.
9. Is it bigger than sofa? Yes.
8. Does it move? Depends.
7. Is it hard? Yes.
6. Is it larger than a microwave oven (or bread box)? Yes.
5. Is it larger than a pound of butter? Yes.
4. Do you make something with it? No.
3. Is it worth a lot of money? Depends.
2. Does it bring joy to people? Usually.
1. It is classified as Mineral.

Ken Fortenberry
September 29th, 2005, 10:07 PM
riverman wrote:

> ...and enjoy this one. It amazes me, and I'm not all that easily
> amazed.
>
> http://y.20q.net/anon

It must "learn" as it plays. I beat it with cormorant,
it gave up after 29 questions, then tried again and it
guessed correctly in 18 questions.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Daniel-San
September 29th, 2005, 10:10 PM
"riverman" wrote

> http://y.20q.net/anon

Took 28 questions to get 'wine bottle'

27. Can it be washed? Yes.
26. Is it clear? Sometimes.
25. Can you see through it? Usually.
24. Does it have a hole in it? Yes.
23. Would you eat it? No.
22. Does it smell sweet? Sometimes.
21. I guessed that it was a perfume bottle? Wrong.
20. I guessed that it was a candle? Wrong.
19. Does it have a good smell? Yes.
18. Do you use it at night? Sometimes.
17. Does it come in a box? Sometimes.
16. Does it deal with imagination? No.
15. Can it cheer you up? Yes.
14. Is it flexible? No.
13. Does it come in specific sizes? Yes.
12. Is it used to record an event? No.
11. Does it display information? Yes.
10. Is it a common household object? Usually.
9. Is it made of metal? No.
8. Is it usually colorful? Yes.
7. Do most people use this daily? Maybe.
6. Is it smaller than a loaf of bread? Yes.
5. Is it hard? Yes.
4. Is it made of plastic? No.
3. Would you give it as a gift? Yes.
2. Does it get wet? No.
1. It is classified as Other.

Must have one hell of a large database.

Dan

Stan Gula
September 29th, 2005, 10:25 PM
riverman wrote:
> ...and enjoy this one. It amazes me, and I'm not all that easily
> amazed.
>
> http://y.20q.net/anon

I played with a 20 question type game at Dartmouth back in the early 70s (I
was merely an admiring user). It was trained mostly by students, and it was
amazing how many times it would ask a really weird question and then guess
'Is it a penguin?'. I gave it several dozen paths to penguins myself.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Scott Seidman
September 29th, 2005, 10:36 PM
"Stan Gula" > wrote in news:gZY_e.17953$gi4.6746
@trndny04:

> I gave it several dozen paths to penguins myself.

Let me guess.

"What's that sitting on top of the telly??"

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

daytripper
September 29th, 2005, 11:03 PM
On 29 Sep 2005 08:17:55 -0700, "riverman" > wrote:

>Here's a couple. I bet this one fools ya:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/dz3zq
>
>...and enjoy this one. It amazes me, and I'm not all that easily
>amazed.
>
>http://y.20q.net/anon
>
>--riverman

Needs mucho worko, beat it on the first try - I was thinking of "LCD Monitor".
Then it whined after it lost, then provided the following points in its
defense - none of which were asked during the interrogation, of course...

"Can it add? I say Yes."
Wrong. A monitor cannot "add".

"Is it smart? I say Yes."
Wrong. A monitor is about the dumbest thing on the desktop.

"Does it live in cities? I say Probably."
Wrong. Inanimate objects don't "live" anywhere.

"Is it considered intelligent? I say Yes."
Wrong again. See above.

"Is it very, very expensive? I say Yes."
You're wrong. And cheap.

"Does it store information? I say Yes."
You really are a stupid program after all, yes?

/daytripper (who wasn't impressed by ELISA, either)

Scottish Fly Fisher
September 29th, 2005, 11:20 PM
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:07:46 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>riverman wrote:
>>
>> ...and enjoy this one. It amazes me, and I'm not all that easily
>> amazed.
>>
>> http://y.20q.net/anon
>
>It must "learn" as it plays. I beat it with cormorant,
>it gave up after 29 questions, then tried again and it
>guessed correctly in 18 questions.

Did it ask, "does it eat trout?"

John
http://groups.msn.com/scottishflyfisher
Responsible anglers catch and release.
Lose the barbs or lose the fish!

Scott Seidman
September 29th, 2005, 11:35 PM
daytripper > wrote in
:

> /daytripper (who wasn't impressed by ELISA, either)

I used to be able, in emacs, to feed zippy the pinhead quotes into ELISA.
Made for some interesting dialog

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Wolfgang
September 29th, 2005, 11:48 PM
"daytripper" > wrote in message

> ...You really are a stupid program after all, yes?

Agreed!

On my second try:

1. It is classified as animal.
2. Does it get wet? Yeah, sometimes......not often enough.
3. Is it heavier than a duck? Hell yes!
4. Is it hard? Not at the moment.
5. Is it usually colorful? Huh? :(
6. Does it deal with imagination? All too often.
7. Does it break if dropped? Hasn't happened.......yet.
8. Do you use it at night? If I can stay awake long enough. :)
9. Can it be washed? Um.......well.......I suppose.
10. Can it cheer you up? Well, yeah, with a little help.
11. Is it something you bring along? Invariably.
12. Is it dangerous? Heh, heh......
13. Can you use it at school? NO! MUSTN'T use it at school!!.....teacher
says!!! :(
14. Is it straight? Huh?......what the fu....... :(
15. Does it burn? Not anymore! :)
16. Does it require specific knowledge to use it? Um.......hm......
17. You were thinking of a gerbil. What the.......
18. You know where you can put it. Why you little......

Gary M
September 30th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Scott Seidman wrote:
> Scott Seidman > wrote in
> . 1.4:
>

>>>http://y.20q.net/anon
>

> It won!

Q29. I am not allowed to talk about stuff like this, but, I am guessing
that it has something to do with drugs?
Right, Wrong, Close

28. Is it commonly harvested? Yes.
27. Can it be chewed? No.
26. I guessed that it was mistletoe? Wrong.

opie
September 30th, 2005, 01:36 AM
It got lamp after 17 questions.

Mark

"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "riverman" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Here's a couple. I bet this one fools ya:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/dz3zq
>
> Fooled me. Stopping to think about it for a moment afterwards provides
> one of those "DOH!" moments.
>
>> ...and enjoy this one. It amazes me, and I'm not all that easily
>> amazed.
>>
>> http://y.20q.net/anon
>
> It took 26 questions to correctly identify a scalpel. We disagreed on the
> correct answers to five questions:
>
> 1. Can you use it at school? I said yes......the machine says no.
> 2. Can you get information by using it? I said probably....the machine
> says no.
> 3. Is it something you bring along? I said yes.....the machine says no.
> 4. Is it dangerous? I said depends.....the machine says yes.
> 5. Does it require specific knowledge to use it? I said no.....the
> machine says yes.
>
> Wolfgang
> who, for the nonce, will continue to do his own dissections. :)

opie
September 30th, 2005, 01:49 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message
> It took 26 questions to correctly identify a scalpel. We disagreed on the
> correct answers to five questions:
>
> 1. Can you use it at school? I said yes......the machine says no.
> 2. Can you get information by using it? I said probably....the machine
> says no.
> 3. Is it something you bring along? I said yes.....the machine says no.
> 4. Is it dangerous? I said depends.....the machine says yes.
> 5. Does it require specific knowledge to use it? I said no.....the
> machine says yes.
>
> Wolfgang
> who, for the nonce, will continue to do his own dissections. :)

It got "lamp" after 17 questions, but was unable to get "clipboard" after
more than 23 questions and had this to say:

You won!
Play Again
You were thinking of a clipboard.
Is it smaller than a loaf of bread? You said Partly, I say No.
Can you play games with it? You said Maybe, I say No.
Is it a metal? You said Partly, I say No.
Would you find it on a farm? You said Sometimes, I say No.
Can it be washed? You said Yes, I say No.
Is it mechanical? You said Yes, I say No.
Can it fasten other objects? You said Yes, I say Doubtful.
Does it open? You said Sometimes, I say No.
Does it have writing on it? You said Sometimes, I say No.

September 30th, 2005, 02:53 AM
On 29 Sep 2005 08:17:55 -0700, "riverman" > wrote:

>http://y.20q.net/anon

Goody! Goody! I won! I won!

Here's the list (Apparently, it didn't count all the questions):

29. I guessed that it was a banana pepper? Wrong.
28. Does it spin? Probably.
27. Is it green or black? Sometimes.
26. Is it a common household object? Probably.
Can you read it? Unknown.
25. I guessed that it was a mobile phone? Wrong.
24. Does it dig holes? Doubtful.
Does it pant? Unknown.
23. Is it larger than a pound of butter? Doubtful.
22. Is it connected to a wire? Sometimes.
21. Does it get really hot? Maybe.
20. I guessed that it was a hand-held computer? Wrong.
19. Is it flat? Sometimes.
18. Do you use it with a computer? Sometimes.
17. Can you play games with it? Probably.
16. Can it save your life? Maybe.
15. Is it used by the police? Probably.
14. Do you open and close it? Sometimes.
13. Can it be played? Probably.
12. Do you put things in it? Sometimes.
Does it use numbers? Unknown.
11. Do most people use this daily? Probably.
10. Would you pay to use it? Doubtful.
9. Does it ring? Maybe.
8. Can you speak into it? Probably.
7. Is it square shaped? Maybe.
6. Do you hold it when you use it? Sometimes.
5. Does it process data? Doubtful.
4. Can you get information by using it? Probably.
3. Is it larger than a microwave oven (or bread box)? Doubtful.
2. Does it break if dropped? Sometimes.
1. Is it hard? Sometimes.
It is classified as Unknown.

And even with all these questions, it still didn't know what a dildo
is...

Wolfgang
September 30th, 2005, 02:55 AM
> wrote in message
> On 29 Sep 2005 08:17:55 -0700, "riverman" > wrote:
>

>>http://y.20q.net/anon
>>
> Goody! Goody! I won! I won!
>
> Here's the list (Apparently, it didn't count all the questions):
>
> 29. I guessed that it was a banana pepper? Wrong.
> 28. Does it spin? Probably.
> 27. Is it green or black? Sometimes.
> 26. Is it a common household object? Probably.
> Can you read it? Unknown.
> 25. I guessed that it was a mobile phone? Wrong.
> 24. Does it dig holes? Doubtful.
> Does it pant? Unknown.
> 23. Is it larger than a pound of butter? Doubtful.
> 22. Is it connected to a wire? Sometimes.
> 21. Does it get really hot? Maybe.
> 20. I guessed that it was a hand-held computer? Wrong.
> 19. Is it flat? Sometimes.
> 18. Do you use it with a computer? Sometimes.
> 17. Can you play games with it? Probably.
> 16. Can it save your life? Maybe.
> 15. Is it used by the police? Probably.
> 14. Do you open and close it? Sometimes.
> 13. Can it be played? Probably.
> 12. Do you put things in it? Sometimes.
> Does it use numbers? Unknown.
> 11. Do most people use this daily? Probably.
> 10. Would you pay to use it? Doubtful.
> 9. Does it ring? Maybe.
> 8. Can you speak into it? Probably.
> 7. Is it square shaped? Maybe.
> 6. Do you hold it when you use it? Sometimes.
> 5. Does it process data? Doubtful.
> 4. Can you get information by using it? Probably.
> 3. Is it larger than a microwave oven (or bread box)? Doubtful.
> 2. Does it break if dropped? Sometimes.
> 1. Is it hard? Sometimes.
> It is classified as Unknown.
>
> And even with all these questions, it still didn't know what a dildo
> is...

Try it on "perch".

Wolfgang
who would have thought that someone with 23 spare eyes would have seen that
right away.

Richard Fortuna
September 30th, 2005, 03:35 AM
I won with vise, it's not in the data base either
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message
> I beat it with wool yarn. Its not in the data base.

Cyli
September 30th, 2005, 04:36 AM
On 29 Sep 2005 08:17:55 -0700, "riverman" > wrote:

>Here's a couple. I bet this one fools ya:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/dz3zq

Cool. I love it when the answer I think is obvious turns out to be
correct.

>...and enjoy this one. It amazes me, and I'm not all that easily
>amazed.
>
>http://y.20q.net/anon

I stumped it with bread box.

>--riverman

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

Cyli
September 30th, 2005, 05:18 AM
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:35:43 +0300, Jarmo Hurri
> wrote:

>Good ones! The first one made me feel very ashamed for a second. The
>20q site was amazing - it guessed circus correctly after just 16
>questions, none of which I thought was very revealing.
>
>If you want to continue wasting time and get your eyes crossed at the
>same time, go here:
>
>http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

Now that is lovely. I liked the breathing Buddha and the colour wheel
best so far. My eyes kind of gave out after a while.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: (strip the .invalid to email)

riverman
September 30th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Cyli wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:35:43 +0300, Jarmo Hurri
> > wrote:
>

> >Good ones! The first one made me feel very ashamed for a second. The
> >20q site was amazing - it guessed circus correctly after just 16
> >questions, none of which I thought was very revealing.
> >
> >If you want to continue wasting time and get your eyes crossed at the
> >same time, go here:
> >
> >http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/
>

> Now that is lovely. I liked the breathing Buddha and the colour wheel
> best so far. My eyes kind of gave out after a while.

The Sigma Motion one is absolutely related to fly fishing. Anyone care
to point out how...I KNOW you all have seen it! And until this moment,
I never could really explain it.

--riverman

Jeff Miller
September 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM
riverman wrote:

> http://y.20q.net/anon
>
> --riverman

"ballyhoo" beat it

Lazarus Cooke
September 30th, 2005, 06:52 PM
In article . com>,
riverman > wrote:

> Here's a couple.

many thanks for these. I'm astonished by both.

(for the second I put in garbage can. It got it in 17)

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

Jarmo Hurri
October 7th, 2005, 08:10 AM
>> >http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

riverman> The Sigma Motion one is absolutely related to fly
riverman> fishing. Anyone care to point out how...I KNOW you all have
riverman> seen it! And until this moment, I never could really explain
riverman> it.

?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

riverman
November 5th, 2005, 03:04 AM
>> >http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

riverman> The Sigma Motion one is absolutely related to fly
riverman> fishing. Anyone care to point out how...I KNOW you all have
riverman> seen it! And until this moment, I never could really explain
riverman> it.

?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Sorry, I never saw this post Jarmo.

Ever watched a swarm of small bugs....it looks like they all rush one
way, then they all turn around and rush the other way in unison?

--riverman