PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking at Cabelas Genesis Fly Rod Combos -- any comments?

Outdoors In Texas
September 30th, 2005, 03:52 AM
All -

Newbie from Central Texas here. I am strongly considering getting the
Cabela's Genesis 9-foot, 6 wt. 4-piece rod and reel combo for fishing
stocked trout and guadalupe bass in local rivers. The total package
price for the rod/reel/line/and various add-ons is $140.

Anybody have any experience with or know of the quality of these rods?
They say medium action. Good for a beginner or will I outgrow this
thing too quickly?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Conan The Librarian
September 30th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Outdoors In Texas wrote:

> All -
>
> Newbie from Central Texas here. I am strongly considering getting the
> Cabela's Genesis 9-foot, 6 wt. 4-piece rod and reel combo for fishing
> stocked trout and guadalupe bass in local rivers. The total package
> price for the rod/reel/line/and various add-ons is $140.
>
> Anybody have any experience with or know of the quality of these rods?
> They say medium action. Good for a beginner or will I outgrow this
> thing too quickly?

I'm also in Central Texas (I live in Wimberley), and I don't know
anything about that particular combo, but a 6-wt. isn't a bad choice for
tossing flies for Guadalupes. But it might be a bit of overkill for
trout fishing.

I'd suggest you look into the Temple Fork Outfitters rods. Their
low-end rods are 2-pc. medium action and sell for less than $100. Best
course of action, IMHO, is to go to Sportsman's Finest and ask to test
cast some of the rods. Some people's casting styles are better suited
to slow action rods, and some to fast.

If Joe Robinson is there, he'll look after you. He's average
height, wiry, wears glasses and has a bad limp from an arthritic hip.
He's also the guy who sold me my first outfit back in the early 80's
when he was at the Austin Angler flyshop. He's a bit of a legend in
this area, and with good reason.

He'll also help you with fly selection, if you're uncertain about
that.

Chuck Vance

Big Dale
September 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Outdoors In Texas wrote:
> All -
>
> Newbie from Central Texas here.

Good advice Chuck.

If you are new to flyfishing, you also might want to look up one of the
FFF fly fishing clubs in the area and visit their monthly meetings. Te
folk in these clubs can help introduce you to all the weird stuff
beginners see in learning this new hobby. Their outings are good places
to get tips on impoving your casting and most often you get to play
with each others toys. You can play with a variety of fly rods without
a salesman breathing down your neck.

Big Dale