PDA

View Full Version : BEST CHEAP ROD?

Lionel F. Stevenson
October 7th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Hi y'all,
I'm a novice fisherman.
I'm looking for a good cheap rod.
What is the best rod for $100.00?

I know there is probably more than one opinion per person on this,
but it should make some interesting talk.

Also, the best cheap reel.

We're talking trout fishing here.

-- Lionel

Tom Nakashima
October 7th, 2005, 02:57 PM
"Lionel F. Stevenson" > wrote in message
> Hi y'all,
> I'm a novice fisherman.
> I'm looking for a good cheap rod.
> What is the best rod for $100.00?
>
> I know there is probably more than one opinion per person on this,
> but it should make some interesting talk.
>
> Also, the best cheap reel.
>
> We're talking trout fishing here.
>
> -- Lionel

I haven't felt a good rod in the $100 price range, but I own a Sage Launch
4pc 5w which cast like Sage's high end rods. Tight accurate loops at 60'
with 5wf line. I paid just under $200 and it came with a very nice padded
case with compartments and a lifetime guarantee. There is no obligation to
purchase if you want to try the rods out. I also wouldn't purchase a rod I
haven't cast first.
fwiw,
-tom

Dave LaCourse
October 7th, 2005, 03:00 PM
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:22:48 GMT, "Lionel F. Stevenson"
> wrote:

>I know there is probably more than one opinion per person on this,
>but it should make some interesting talk.
>
>Also, the best cheap reel.
>
>We're talking trout fishing here.

See Wally at http://ezflyfish.com/

Tell him The Pirate sent you.

Dave

George Cleveland
October 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:22:48 GMT, "Lionel F. Stevenson"
> wrote:

>Hi y'all,
>I'm a novice fisherman.
>I'm looking for a good cheap rod.
>What is the best rod for $100.00?
>
>I know there is probably more than one opinion per person on this,
>but it should make some interesting talk.
>
>Also, the best cheap reel.
>
>We're talking trout fishing here.
>
>-- Lionel

Check out the St. Croix Avids. They are redesigning them and you can
find this years models at about 1/3 off (which should make them around
$100).

Cabelas has some fairly inexpensive disc drag reels. ($40 to $80). I
have the Prestige Plus, which seems fairly well made.

hth

g.c.

Frank Church
October 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Dave LaCourse > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:22:48 GMT, "Lionel F. Stevenson"
> > wrote:
>
>>I know there is probably more than one opinion per person on this,
>>but it should make some interesting talk.
>>
>>Also, the best cheap reel.
>>
>>We're talking trout fishing here.
>
> See Wally at http://ezflyfish.com/
>
> Tell him The Pirate sent you.

....."cheap" implies poor quality, I like to use "inexpensive" :-) Anyway,
Pirate's advice is right on, Uncle Wally does have some really good deals
from time to time. I just purchased a Lamson reel from him (a *good*
reel) for about 40 bucks, already spooled up with backing and a good
quality fly line, it's doubtful you'll find a better reel deal anywhere.
As to rods, if he doesn't have a price range that suits you, go to
www.cabelas.com and check out their Three Forks rods (fondly known in
here as *kpos's) I have almost all of them and they are a good value. My
5 wt kpos has caught some rompin stompin 18 and 19" Maine smallmouth bass
with nary a whimper. These are on the slow side of medium action and will
help you with your casting if you are new to this. BTW, I have better
quality and much more expensive rods but still choose to use the Three
Forks most of the time. FWIW

Frank Sr

*kpos is "korean piece of ****" so named by our inestimable Ken
Fortenberry. Anybody that drinks Budweiser is not to be trusted. :-)

Goat
October 7th, 2005, 07:25 PM
"Lionel F. Stevenson" > wrote in message
> Hi y'all,
> I'm a novice fisherman.
> I'm looking for a good cheap rod.
> What is the best rod for $100.00?
>
> I know there is probably more than one opinion per person on this,
> but it should make some interesting talk.
>
> Also, the best cheap reel.
>
> We're talking trout fishing here.
>
> -- Lionel

I too (as Tom Nakashima posted) have a Sage Launch 5wt. However it is a 2
piece. I got it for $170. I absolutely love it. It casts great and feels
great and is without doubt a fine rod.

Chad

graycat
October 8th, 2005, 08:37 AM
"Lionel F. Stevenson" > wrote in message
> Hi y'all,
> I'm a novice fisherman.
> I'm looking for a good cheap rod.
> What is the best rod for $100.00?
>
> I know there is probably more than one opinion per person on this,
> but it should make some interesting talk.
>
> Also, the best cheap reel.
>
> We're talking trout fishing here.
>
> -- Lionel

I have a Sage Launch 5wt, 9ft, 4pc and I love it! $195.00. It feels like a
much more expensive rod.

JDOE
October 8th, 2005, 08:44 PM
In article >,
"Lionel F. Stevenson" > wrote:

> Hi y'all,
> I'm a novice fisherman.
> I'm looking for a good cheap rod.
> What is the best rod for $100.00?

There is no BEST rod, since what one likes in rods is subjective. TFO's
series 1 rod is a very good choice at around $90, as far as reels, I
would go with a Okuma sierra for about $35 (search on the net, you will
find one). The Sierra is a sturdy reel, it will stand up to even king
salmon.

--
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

JDOE
October 8th, 2005, 09:08 PM
In article >,
Frank Church > wrote:

> Dave LaCourse > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:22:48 GMT, "Lionel F. Stevenson"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I know there is probably more than one opinion per person on this,
> >>but it should make some interesting talk.
> >>
> >>Also, the best cheap reel.
> >>
> >>We're talking trout fishing here.
> >
> > See Wally at http://ezflyfish.com/
> >
> > Tell him The Pirate sent you.
>
> ...."cheap" implies poor quality, I like to use "inexpensive" :-) Anyway,
> Pirate's advice is right on, Uncle Wally does have some really good deals
> from time to time. I just purchased a Lamson reel from him (a *good*
> reel) for about 40 bucks, already spooled up with backing and a good
> quality fly line, it's doubtful you'll find a better reel deal anywhere.

I take back my advice on the okuma sierra then. If he will sell you a
lamson with line and backing for ~ $40 I would go with that.

What lamson is it tho? The lowest end lamson is the radius, and that
retails for $145. I kind of doubt he will tho. I just looked at his web
page and he is selling them at msrp. He *does* include a fly line,
which is about $20 - $55 depending on what he will give you. The okuma
sierra's MSRP is around $60, and the sierra 5/6 is $45 at ezflyfish, and
it doesnt say he will include a free flyline (not that I blame him, the
wholesale is probably $30 so that is not much profit for him).

I would go for the sierra if he wont sell you a lamson for around $40,
which I doubt he would be able to do. I have seen the okuma go for $32
and just doing a quick search see that http://www.reelfishingtackle.com
has the okuma sierra 7/8 for $35.

--
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

Wolfgang
October 8th, 2005, 10:08 PM
"JDOE" > wrote in message

> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

Hoo boy. And this bit of genius from someone who doesn't even know "their"
own name! :)

Wolfgang

Frank Church
October 8th, 2005, 11:12 PM
JDOE > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Frank Church > wrote:
>
>> Dave LaCourse > wrote in
>
> I would go for the sierra if he wont sell you a lamson for around $40,
> which I doubt he would be able to do. I have seen the okuma go for $32
> and just doing a quick search see that
> http://www.reelfishingtackle.com has the okuma sierra 7/8 for $35.

....it was the Lamson Radius 1.5 and I believe the whole outfit was $45.

Frank Church

JDOE
October 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM
In article >,
Frank Church > wrote:

> JDOE > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >,
> > Frank Church > wrote:
> >
> >> Dave LaCourse > wrote in
> >
> > I would go for the sierra if he wont sell you a lamson for around $40,
> > which I doubt he would be able to do. I have seen the okuma go for $32
> > and just doing a quick search see that
> > http://www.reelfishingtackle.com has the okuma sierra 7/8 for $35.
> >

> ...it was the Lamson Radius 1.5 and I believe the whole outfit was $45.
>
> Frank Church

Well anyone that can get that price should jump on it. The web site
lists it as $145 with a new fly line thrown in
(http://www.ezflyfish.com/lamradflyree.html). The wholesale on just the
reel would be $72.50, and the wholesale on the line was probably $10
-$30 depending on what line it was. So he must of lost a ton of money
on that deal.

Anyways, if you can get a lamson radius 1.5 for $45, JUMP ON IT!!

--
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

riverman
October 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM
http://tinyurl.com/cdaxr

--riverman

Willi
October 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM
JDOE wrote:

> There is no BEST rod, since what one likes in rods is subjective. TFO's
> series 1 rod is a very good choice at around $90, as far as reels, I
> would go with a Okuma sierra for about $35 (search on the net, you will
> find one). The Sierra is a sturdy reel, it will stand up to even king
> salmon.

I know alot of people like them, and they are a decent value for the
money. However, I don't think that the Sierra is a sturdy reel. They're
made of soft aluminum and wear easily. I got grooves in the line guard
after the first season. The reel handle fell off the spool during my
trip to Alaska. The aluminum had worn and the hole holding the handle
enlarged, allowing the handle to slip through the hole.

Willi

Bill Kiene
October 13th, 2005, 08:00 AM
"Lionel,

I think the Springbrook TFO 'Series 1' that is $89.00 USD is pretty nice.

They are 2 piece and come in a lot of great sizes. For trout the popualr or
average size in the US is a 9' #5 line.

Orvis has the 'Clearwater' series of fly reels that are made in their
factory in England for $39.00 USD.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop