PDA

View Full Version : A reason to not fish weighted stuff

Allen
October 8th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Ow stop it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/4315748.stm

Allen

"Thrice happy is the nation that has a glorious history. Far better it
is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though
checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray
twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Wolfgang
October 8th, 2005, 02:15 AM
"Allen" > wrote in message
> Ow stop it.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/4315748.stm

Ouch.

> Allen
>
> "Thrice happy is the nation that has a glorious history. Far better it
> is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though
> checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
> neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray
> twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
>
> Theodore Roosevelt

"...I would bee loath to pay him before his day. What needs I be so forward
with him, that call's not on me? Well, 'tis no matter, Honor pricks me on.
But how if Honour pricke me off when I come on? How then? Can Honour set
too a legge? No: or an arme? No: Or take away the greefe of a wound? No.
Honour hath no skill in Surgerie, then? No. What is honour? A word. What
is that word Honour? Ayre: A trim reckoning. Who hath it? He that dy'de a
Wednesday. Doth he feele it? No. Doth he heare it? No. Is it insensible
then? yea, to the dead. But wil it not liue with the liuing? No. Why?
Detraction wil not suffer it, therfore Ile none of it. Honour is a meere
Scutcheon, and so end my Catechisme."

Sir Iohn Falstaffe

rw
October 8th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Allen wrote:
> Ow stop it.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/4315748.stm

I'm sorry to say that the piece is woefully short on fishing details.
What was he fishing for? What was he using? Bait? Lures of some sort?
What kind of rod and reel was he using? Was he a clueless bozo or an
experienced fisherman? Sheesh!

> Allen
>
> "Thrice happy is the nation that has a glorious history. Far better it
> is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though
> checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
> neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray
> twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
>
> Theodore Roosevelt

That's one of Roosevelt's most misleading popular quotes. He loved
personal glory (viz. San Juan Hill) and rhetorical bombast, but in his
foreign policy he was always mindful of the risks that accompany
"glory." Aside from an insurrection in the Phillipines that he inherited
from McKinley, he lost not a single American life in combat. Teddy
suffered from the prejudices of his age, and he was aggressive by
nature, but he was guided, ultimately, by reason and intellect. In his
foreign policy he was a peacemaker (Nobel Peace Prize for negotiating an
end to the Russo-Japanese War), and domestically he was a trust buster,
looking out for the public good over private interests. By any
reasonable standard of today's politics, he was left of center.

JDOE
October 8th, 2005, 11:32 PM
In article >,
Allen > wrote:

> Ow stop it.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/4315748.stm

The article mentions a fly but it sure doesnt look like he was fly
fishing to me!!! The x ray shows a swivel with what appears to be a
very large weight, about 1.5 times the size of the swizel attached to
the swivel. This huge weight, about 1-1.5 inches long and about as
round as his eye, is what is inside him.

--
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

Wolfgang
October 9th, 2005, 12:27 AM
"JDOE" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Allen > wrote:
>
>> Ow stop it.
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/4315748.stm
>>

> The article mentions a fly

Nope. Not so much as a single word about a fly in the entire article.

> but it sure doesnt look like he was fly
> fishing to me!!!

Considerably more perceptive than your first observation........um......or
maybe it's more observant than your first perception......hm.......

> The x ray shows a swivel with what appears to be a
> very large weight, about 1.5 times the size of the swizel attached to
> the swivel.

Um......huh? :(

> This huge weight, about 1-1.5 inches long and about as
> round as his eye, is what is inside him.

Well, there may be all sorts of things inside him but, if the text of the
article is to be given any credence, the fishing weight that was in his eye
socket was removed some time before 12:31 GMT on Thursday. And whatever it
is you're seeing may indeed be as round as his roughly globular
eye.......but the weight that seems to have been the immediate cause of his
discomfort is anything but.

> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

Do you do house calls?

Wolfgang

JDOE
October 9th, 2005, 11:35 PM
scumbag.

--
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

Wolfgang
October 9th, 2005, 11:44 PM
"JDOE" > wrote in message
> scumbag.

O.k.

However, there still wasn't anything in that article about fly fishing. The
object still doesn't look particularly round. You still don't seem to know
who you are.....

> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

and unless you're in jolly olde England, wot?.......you still seem to be
having a bit of trouble with your singular and plural parts of speech.

On the other hand, since you'll never see this, I guess it really doesn't
matter, eh? :)

Wolfgang

Tim J.
October 10th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "JDOE" > wrote in message
>> scumbag.
>
> O.k.
>
> However, there still wasn't anything in that article about fly
> fishing. The object still doesn't look particularly round. You
> still don't seem to know who you are.....
>
>> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.
>
> and unless you're in jolly olde England, wot?.......you still seem to
> be having a bit of trouble with your singular and plural parts of
> speech.
> On the other hand, since you'll never see this, I guess it really
> doesn't matter, eh? :)

I plonked him a long time ago, but some asshole always comes along and
replies to his posts and then the whole exercise is moot. :(
--
TL,
Tim

Stan Gula
October 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM
JDOE wrote:
> scumbag.

Oh, the humanity. I weep for Wolfgang's bruised ego.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Frank Reid
October 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM
>>> scumbag.
>>
>> O.k.
>>
>> However, there still wasn't anything in that article about fly
>> fishing. The object still doesn't look particularly round. You
>> still don't seem to know who you are.....
>>
>>> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.
>>
>> and unless you're in jolly olde England, wot?.......you still seem to
>> be having a bit of trouble with your singular and plural parts of
>> speech.
>> On the other hand, since you'll never see this, I guess it really
>> doesn't matter, eh? :)
>
> I plonked him a long time ago, but some asshole always comes along and
> replies to his posts and then the whole exercise is moot. :(

Yeah, I know what you mean. They do things like reply leaving the entirety
of the previous plonked poster pointedly present.

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Tim J.
October 10th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Frank Reid typed:

>>> O.k.
>>>
>>> However, there still wasn't anything in that article about fly
>>> fishing. The object still doesn't look particularly round. You
>>> still don't seem to know who you are.....

>>> and unless you're in jolly olde England, wot?.......you still seem
>>> to be having a bit of trouble with your singular and plural parts of
>>> speech.
>>> On the other hand, since you'll never see this, I guess it really
>>> doesn't matter, eh? :)
>>
>> I plonked him a long time ago, but some asshole always comes along
>> and replies to his posts and then the whole exercise is moot. :(
>
> Yeah, I know what you mean. They do things like reply leaving the
> entirety of the previous plonked poster pointedly present.

Precisely!
--
TL,
Tim

Ken Fortenberry
October 10th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Tim J. wrote:
> Frank Reid typed:
>>Yeah, I know what you mean. They do things like reply leaving the
>>entirety of the previous plonked poster pointedly present.
>
> Precisely!

Any additional alliteration and we'll all need an Advil.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J.
October 10th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Ken Fortenberry typed:
> Tim J. wrote:
>> Frank Reid typed:
>>> Yeah, I know what you mean. They do things like reply leaving the
>>> entirety of the previous plonked poster pointedly present.
>>
>> Precisely!
>
> Any additional alliteration and we'll all need an Advil.

Party pooper. :(
--
TL,
Tim

Wolfgang
October 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM
"Stan Gula" > wrote in message
> JDOE wrote:
>> scumbag.
>
> Oh, the humanity. I weep for Wolfgang's bruised ego.

Thank you, Stan. I think very few people realize the pain I suffer from all
of these gratuitous brutal attacks when all I'm trying to do is spread a bit
of good cheer and tolerance. :(

Wolfgang
all i am saaaaaaaying........

Wayne Harrison
October 10th, 2005, 09:34 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote

>> Oh, the humanity. I weep for Wolfgang's bruised ego.
>
> Thank you, Stan. I think very few people realize the pain I suffer from
> all of these gratuitous brutal attacks when all I'm trying to do is spread
> a bit of good cheer and tolerance. :(

take heart, gentle companion. among the tragic shortcomings of the
typical newsgroup denizen is the shocking inability to recognize altruism in
its highest forms.

yfitons
wayno(kumbaya)

Mike Connor
October 10th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Plonked! Oh dear, what man deserveth such an awful fate?
Brusquely damnned in public, for an addle pate.
Penalised, reviled, held to ridicule for all to see
Perhaps ītis lesser then the plonked, than the unfortunate plonkee?

TL
MC

October 10th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Allen wrote:
> Ow stop it.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/4315748.stm
>
> Allen

Granted he and others may be assholes but why bury your head in the
sand? All you do is wave your ass in the air invitingly. Just don'
read his crap and don't fall into the trap of trying to bait an asshole.

Stan Gula
October 11th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Mike Connor wrote:
> Plonked! Oh dear, what man deserveth such an awful fate?
> Brusquely damnned in public, for an addle pate.
> Penalised, reviled, held to ridicule for all to see
> Perhaps ītis lesser then the plonked, than the unfortunate plonkee?
>
> TL
> MC

It's good to have back in the neighborhood, Mike.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Frank Reid
October 11th, 2005, 12:15 AM
> Plonked! Oh dear, what man deserveth such an awful fate?
> Brusquely damnned in public, for an addle pate.
> Penalised, reviled, held to ridicule for all to see
> Perhaps ītis lesser then the plonked, than the unfortunate plonkee?

Much better than "you got a purdy mouth."

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Frank Reid
October 11th, 2005, 12:17 AM
> Allen wrote:
>> Ow stop it.
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/4315748.stm
>>
>> Allen
>
> Granted he and others may be assholes but why bury your head in the
> sand? All you do is wave your ass in the air invitingly. Just don'
> read his crap and don't fall into the trap of trying to bait an asshole.

Okay, on a finer point, "he and others" are?

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Wolfgang
October 11th, 2005, 01:22 AM
"Stan Gula" > wrote in message
> Mike Connor wrote:
>> Plonked! Oh dear, what man deserveth such an awful fate?
>> Brusquely damnned in public, for an addle pate.
>> Penalised, reviled, held to ridicule for all to see
>> Perhaps ītis lesser then the plonked, than the unfortunate plonkee?
>>
>> TL
>> MC
>
> It's good to have back in the neighborhood, Mike.

Amen.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
October 11th, 2005, 01:22 AM
"Frank Reid" <ten.tsacmoc@diersicnarf> wrote in message
>> Plonked! Oh dear, what man deserveth such an awful fate?
>> Brusquely damnned in public, for an addle pate.
>> Penalised, reviled, held to ridicule for all to see
>> Perhaps ītis lesser then the plonked, than the unfortunate plonkee?
>
> Much better than "you got a purdy mouth."

Amen!

Wolfgang

JDOE
October 11th, 2005, 01:42 AM
In article >,
"Tim J." > wrote:

> Wolfgang wrote:
> > "JDOE" > wrote in message
> >> scumbag.
> >
> > O.k.
> >
> > However, there still wasn't anything in that article about fly
> > fishing. The object still doesn't look particularly round. You
> > still don't seem to know who you are.....
> >
> >> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.
> >
> > and unless you're in jolly olde England, wot?.......you still seem to
> > be having a bit of trouble with your singular and plural parts of
> > speech.
> > On the other hand, since you'll never see this, I guess it really
> > doesn't matter, eh? :)
>
> I plonked him a long time ago, but some asshole always comes along and
> replies to his posts and then the whole exercise is moot. :(

I know what you mean! Now I have to see his response.

--
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

Wolfgang
October 11th, 2005, 01:48 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message

> take heart, gentle companion. among the tragic shortcomings of the
> typical newsgroup denizen is the shocking inability to recognize altruism
> in its highest forms.

Boy howdy, ain't it the truth?! Try ta make 'em fit for adult human
companionship and look what ya get!

> yfitons

I know it......and when the time comes, you know who to call.

> wayno(kumbaya)

Just this morning I read Barbara Kingsolver's "Small Wonder", the title
essay from her 2002 collection. Everyone in America should read
it........um......and everyone else too, I guess.

Wolfgang
and we kill those who refuse! :)

Wolfgang
October 11th, 2005, 01:53 AM
"JDOE" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Tim J." > wrote:
>
>> Wolfgang wrote:
>> >
>> > O.k.
>> >
>> > However, there still wasn't anything in that article about fly
>> > fishing. The object still doesn't look particularly round. You
>> > still don't seem to know who you are.....

>> > and unless you're in jolly olde England, wot?.......you still seem to
>> > be having a bit of trouble with your singular and plural parts of
>> > speech.
>> > On the other hand, since you'll never see this, I guess it really
>> > doesn't matter, eh? :)
>>
>> I plonked him a long time ago, but some asshole always comes along and
>> replies to his posts and then the whole exercise is moot. :(
>

> I know what you mean! Now I have to see his response.

Hoo boy.

> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

Somewhere in America a community rests secure, comfortable, and content in
the knowledge that theirs is still on duty.......and justifiably so.

Wolfgang

Mike Connor
October 11th, 2005, 01:59 AM
<SNIP>
> I know what you mean! Now I have to see his response.
>
> --
> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

It seems that most "plonkers" ( for want of a better expression), put more
emphasis on the actual "plonking", indeed, going to some lengths to
publicise the "plonk",than on the fact that they purportedly no longer wish
to read anything from the "plonkees".

Should you not wish to see either originals, or responses, then a filter
with the content "Wofgang" should serve your purpose quite admirably.

This may well result in you never reading anything from Goethe, but, into
every life a little rain must fall, and he has not posted here recently in
any case.

TL
MC

Tim J.
October 11th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Mike Connor wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> I know what you mean! Now I have to see his response.
>> --
>> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.
>
> It seems that most "plonkers" ( for want of a better expression), put
> more emphasis on the actual "plonking", indeed, going to some lengths
> to publicise the "plonk",than on the fact that they purportedly no
> longer wish to read anything from the "plonkees".
>
> Should you not wish to see either originals, or responses, then a
> filter with the content "Wofgang" should serve your purpose quite
> admirably.
> This may well result in you never reading anything from Goethe, but,
> into every life a little rain must fall, and he has not posted here
> recently in any case.

This, of course, assumes the not-to-be-named plonker would have the
ability and skills to create said filter. We've already proven that some
not-to-be-named plonkers can't buy a clue.
--
TL,
Tim

daytripper
October 11th, 2005, 03:34 AM
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:24:53 -0400, "Tim J."
> wrote:

>Mike Connor wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>> I know what you mean! Now I have to see his response.
>>> --
>>> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.
>>
>> It seems that most "plonkers" ( for want of a better expression), put
>> more emphasis on the actual "plonking", indeed, going to some lengths
>> to publicise the "plonk",than on the fact that they purportedly no
>> longer wish to read anything from the "plonkees".
>>
>> Should you not wish to see either originals, or responses, then a
>> filter with the content "Wofgang" should serve your purpose quite
>> admirably.
>> This may well result in you never reading anything from Goethe, but,
>> into every life a little rain must fall, and he has not posted here
>> recently in any case.
>
>This, of course, assumes the not-to-be-named plonker would have the
>ability and skills to create said filter. We've already proven that some
>not-to-be-named plonkers can't buy a clue.

Besides, a statistic I just made up shows 99.99% of all public plonkings are
complete bullcrap...

Goat
October 12th, 2005, 04:04 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Stan Gula" > wrote in message
>> JDOE wrote:
>>> scumbag.
>>
>> Oh, the humanity. I weep for Wolfgang's bruised ego.
>
> Thank you, Stan. I think very few people realize the pain I suffer from
> all of these gratuitous brutal attacks when all I'm trying to do is spread
> a bit of good cheer and tolerance. :(
>
> Wolfgang
> all i am saaaaaaaying........
Yeah Wolfgang, it is a little past due but I have been busy. But it
sometimes takes adversity to remember your fellow man ;-)
So here you go...

Thank You.

A couple months ago you and I discussed beer. You suggested a few I had not
tried and me, being me, was always up to taste a different beer. I made a
list of a few that I would seek out. Over the next month I drank more than
the wife thought I should :-) but I am sure she understood my sense of
duty... she was kind enough to seek out a couple for me at times she was out
and about. She even made cell calls from "the beer section" when needed. (
gotta love her )
Now... I must tell you I still love Guinness. I don't feel it to be over
rated. Sure there are turds dinking it but turds are turds, that's what
makes them turds.
Of the beers I tried none were bad. I will say I was not impressed at all
with Rouge's Dead Guy. But that's ok, it is the overall quest that is key
here.
There was one that stood out, still stands out. I like beer. I like stout
beer. This one surprised me.
Anchor Steam...
At first taste I thought "yeah that's not bad". As I drank on it became
clear that this is a truly balanced beer. It is not sweet, bitter, strong,
weak, dark, light, stout, red, hoppsie etc... It is what "just beer" should
taste like. When I was telling my fishing buddy he needed to pick up some
Anchor Steam he asked what it was like. I said it is just beer, nothing
fancy, just good beer, just damned good beer. Even now to say that it is
"just damned good beer" seems understated but I guess really what better
compliment can you give it. They tried to make a great beer and did it.
So again....

Thank You.
That's great beer!

~Chad
PS---------Have A Nice Day! ;-)

Wolfgang
October 12th, 2005, 06:29 PM
"Goat" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...the pain I suffer...

> ...it sometimes takes adversity to remember your fellow man ;-)
> So here you go...
>
> Thank You.

Ah, the balm of Gilead! :)

> A couple months ago you and I discussed beer. You suggested a few I had
> not tried and me, being me, was always up to taste a different beer. I
> made a list of a few that I would seek out. Over the next month I drank
> more than the wife thought I should :-)

Wives (so I'm told......no personal experience here) generally do not
understand the sacrifices we sometimes have to make in conducting critical
research.

> but I am sure she understood my sense of duty... she was kind enough to
> seek out a couple for me at times she was out and about. She even made
> cell calls from "the beer section" when needed. ( gotta love her )

Not only the exception that proves the rule, but an able research assistant
to boot!

> Now... I must tell you I still love Guinness. I don't feel it to be over
> rated.

A foible that, in the grand scheme of things, can be overlooked so long as
one possesses sufficient redeeming virtues. Hell, I know people who liked
John Ritter.....people I still consider friends because they don't talk
about it a lot and compensate in various ways.

> Sure there are turds dinking it but turds are turds, that's what makes
> them turds.

As simply and concisely stated as one could possibly hope for.

> Of the beers I tried none were bad. I will say I was not impressed at all
> with Rouge's Dead Guy.

Philistine! Pedestrian oaf! Ignorant cur! Benighted swi.......well, you
get the picture. :(

> But that's ok, it is the overall quest that is key here.

Um.......well.....o.k., there is that. All is forgiven.

> There was one that stood out, still stands out. I like beer. I like stout
> beer. This one surprised me.
> Anchor Steam...
> At first taste I thought "yeah that's not bad". As I drank on it became
> clear that this is a truly balanced beer. It is not sweet, bitter, strong,
> weak, dark, light, stout, red, hoppsie etc... It is what "just beer"
> should taste like. When I was telling my fishing buddy he needed to pick
> up some Anchor Steam he asked what it was like. I said it is just beer,
> nothing fancy, just good beer, just damned good beer. Even now to say that
> it is "just damned good beer" seems understated but I guess really what
> better compliment can you give it. They tried to make a great beer and did
> it.

All true. To Joe Sixpack, beer is beer and there's little more to be said
(or thought) about it beyond "I like it" or "I don't". In truth, it's
complex stuff worthy of the same sort critical attention to detail that
aficionados give to cheeses, wines, cigars, whiskeys, gods.....and (OBROFF)
little fishes. You'll get no universal agreement on any of them, but in
each class certain individuals stand out from the rest by virtue of
widespread appeal to discerning folks everywhere......well, except for the
gods. Anchor Steam consistently gets high marks from most people who take
beer seriously. Um......so does Guinness, for that mattter.....which just
goes to show that connoisseurs can be as wrong-headed as anyone, I guess.
:)

Anyway, one of the things that makes Anchor Steam a great one is how well it
stands up to external factors. As is true of the other items mentioned
above, any beer, while it may stand well enough on its own, is often taken
in conjunction with other things and under widely varying circumstances.
Gods don't look (or behave) the same in times of adversity as they do in the
midst of plenty. Similarly, any given beer (and, of course, it goes without
saying that we like those that are given best of all) doesn't taste the same
with chocolate chip cookies as it does with a cheeseburger or cherries.
With the former, the hops stand out.....with the latter it'll be the
sweetness. It doesn't taste the same at breakfast as it does with a
cigarette and a good book at midnight. Regardless of which highlights stand
out, Anchor steam is always good.

> So again....
>
> Thank You.
> That's great beer!

You're welcome.

> ~Chad
> PS---------Have A Nice Day! ;-)

So far, so good.....haven't been cuffed.....yet. :)

Wolfgang

Mike Connor
October 12th, 2005, 06:49 PM
"Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> So far, so good.....haven't been cuffed.....yet. :)
>
> Wolfgang

http://www.answers.com/topic/plonk

TL
MC

Daniel-San
October 13th, 2005, 06:56 PM
"Wolfgang" wrote ...

> Anyway, one of the things that makes Anchor Steam a great one is how well
it
> stands up to external factors. As is true of the other items mentioned
> above, any beer, while it may stand well enough on its own, is often taken
> in conjunction with other things and under widely varying circumstances.
> Gods don't look (or behave) the same in times of adversity as they do in
the
> midst of plenty. Similarly, any given beer (and, of course, it goes
without
> saying that we like those that are given best of all) doesn't taste the
same
> with chocolate chip cookies as it does with a cheeseburger or cherries.
> With the former, the hops stand out.....with the latter it'll be the
> sweetness. It doesn't taste the same at breakfast as it does with a
> cigarette and a good book at midnight. Regardless of which highlights
stand
> out, Anchor steam is always good.
>
> Wolfgang

Being more of an IPA fan, I must recomment that you try Anchor's Liberty
Ale. One of the finest examples of a dry-hopped beer out there. The
brewmasters at Anchor really know their stuff.

Dan
....and try the barleywine, too!

Wolfgang
October 13th, 2005, 07:11 PM
"Daniel-San" > wrote in message

> Being more of an IPA fan, I must recomment that you try Anchor's Liberty
> Ale. One of the finest examples of a dry-hopped beer out there.

Been there......liked it.

> The
> brewmasters at Anchor really know their stuff.

No doubt about it.

> Dan
> ...and try the barleywine, too!

I've probably had that, too. But I really don't remember for sure.......all
the reason a boy needs to go and get some! :)

Thanks.

Wolfgang

Daniel-San
October 13th, 2005, 07:24 PM
"Wolfgang" wrote ...

> > Being more of an IPA fan, I must recomment that you try Anchor's Liberty
> > Ale. One of the finest examples of a dry-hopped beer out there.
>
> Been there......liked it.
>
> > The
> > brewmasters at Anchor really know their stuff.
>
> No doubt about it.
>
> > Dan
> > ...and try the barleywine, too!
>
> I've probably had that, too. But I really don't remember for
sure.......all
> the reason a boy needs to go and get some! :)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Wolfgang

'Bout ten years ago, I had the kind of job that a 23-year old boy dreams of.
Well, no, I wasn't a porn star, I was a beer taster. Restaurant I worked for
started a program where they served 100 different beers. They wanted the
staff to be knowledgeable about beer, so they had to have a trainer. Yup,
me.

They sent me to about 50 different breweries to learn about the beer. I'd
spend a few hours at the brewery, listen to the brewmaster, and head back to
the hotel with the complimentary case, and get **** faced.

After a while, they sent me all over the place to train folks.

Gee, drink beer, talk about beer, and travel? Rough job.

And, they paid me for it!

Dan

Tim J.
October 13th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Daniel-San typed:
<snip>
> They sent me to about 50 different breweries to learn about the beer.
> I'd spend a few hours at the brewery, listen to the brewmaster, and
> head back to the hotel with the complimentary case, and get ****
> faced.
>
> After a while, they sent me all over the place to train folks.
>
> Gee, drink beer, talk about beer, and travel? Rough job.
>
> And, they paid me for it!

Okay, I'll ask the obvious question. Why did you get dismissed?
--
TL,
Tim

Daniel-San
October 13th, 2005, 09:30 PM
"Tim J."
> Okay, I'll ask the obvious question. Why did you get dismissed?
> --
> TL,
> Tim
> (Hells bells. Nobody would ever *QUIT* that job, would they?)
> ------------------------
> http://css.sbcma.com/timj/

Didn't quit. Job sort of ended. I was the guy that trained the trainers, so
to speak. Once I had been around a while, others dealt with their own areas.

It was a great job. Roughly a year-long process. About 4 months of going to
breweries, and then about eight mos. of travel/training. Truth be told,
living out of a suitcase and flying all over the place kind of sucks. After
a while, all hotels just become a bed and a TV.

Dan
BTW, when's the next swap?

Tim J.
October 13th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Daniel-San typed:
> "Tim J."
>> Okay, I'll ask the obvious question. Why did you get dismissed?
>> (Hells bells. Nobody would ever *QUIT* that job, would they?)
>
> Didn't quit. Job sort of ended. I was the guy that trained the
> trainers, so to speak. Once I had been around a while, others dealt
> with their own areas.
>
> It was a great job. Roughly a year-long process. About 4 months of
> going to breweries, and then about eight mos. of travel/training.
> Truth be told, living out of a suitcase and flying all over the place
> kind of sucks. After a while, all hotels just become a bed and a TV.
>
> Dan
> BTW, when's the next swap?

Ask Cranky Frankie. I only do the DDFS in memory of one of ROFF's missing
good guys - Mr. Joe Fleischman.
--
TL,
Tim

wayne harrison
October 13th, 2005, 09:46 PM
"Tim J." > wrote

I only do the DDFS in memory of one of ROFF's missing
> good guys - Mr. Joe Fleischman.

damn shame, losing ol' joey.

yfitons
wayno

Tim J.
October 13th, 2005, 09:51 PM
wayne harrison typed:
> "Tim J." > wrote
>
>> I only do the DDFS in memory of one of ROFF's missing
>> good guys - Mr. Joe Fleischman.
>
> damn shame, losing ol' joey.

Especially the way it went down - it didn't look pretty and he didn't
deserve it. Hopefully, all that's behind him now and he's out fishing
somewhere.
--
TL,
Tim

Ken Fortenberry
October 13th, 2005, 09:56 PM
wayne harrison wrote:
> "Tim J." > wrote
>>I only do the DDFS in memory of one of ROFF's missing
>>good guys - Mr. Joe Fleischman.
>
> damn shame, losing ol' joey.

Yep, Joe is missed. From what I understand his wife put the
kabosh on all things fly fishing including roff.

Women. You can't live with 'em and you can't live with 'em.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J.
October 13th, 2005, 10:02 PM
wayne harrison typed:
> "Tim J." > wrote
>
> I only do the DDFS in memory of one of ROFF's missing
>> good guys - Mr. Joe Fleischman.
>
> damn shame, losing ol' joey.

You know, this is getting kind of maudlin, but there's nothing quite as fun
as perpetuating a thread with a title like this one, eh? ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Mike Connor
October 13th, 2005, 10:09 PM
"Tim J." > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Ask Cranky Frankie. I only do the DDFS in memory of one of ROFF's missing
> good guys - Mr. Joe Fleischman.
> --
> TL,
> Tim
> ------------------------
> http://css.sbcma.com/timj/

What happened to Joe? Nothing bad I hope?

Where is Charlie Choc these days?

TL
MC

Tim J.
October 13th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Mike Connor wrote:
> "Tim J." > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <SNIP>
>> Ask Cranky Frankie. I only do the DDFS in memory of one of ROFF's
>> missing good guys - Mr. Joe Fleischman.
>> --
>> TL,
>> Tim
>> ------------------------
>> http://css.sbcma.com/timj/
>>

> What happened to Joe? Nothing bad I hope?

As bad as it gets, methinks. He was instructed that we're nothing but
deadbeats and retirees, that fly fishing was for idle/addle minds, and
to vacate the premises (or else.) Well, something like that anyway. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Mike Connor
October 14th, 2005, 12:03 AM
"Tim J." > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> As bad as it gets, methinks. He was instructed that we're nothing but
> deadbeats and retirees, that fly fishing was for idle/addle minds, and to
> vacate the premises (or else.) Well, something like that anyway. ;-)
> --
> TL,
> Tim
> ---------------------------
> http://css.sbcma.com/timj/

Oh dear, that is a great shame. Hope he is still managing to get some
fishing in at least.

TL
MC

Wayne Harrison
October 14th, 2005, 12:41 AM
"Tim J." > wrote . He was instructed that
we're nothing but
> deadbeats and retirees, that fly fishing was for idle/addle minds, and to
> vacate the premises (or else.) Well, something like that anyway. ;-)

so, what you're saying is that the poor ******* was confronted with the
truth...

yfitons
wayno

Wolfgang
October 14th, 2005, 01:20 AM

Yeah, I'm about THIS close to plinking all'a you *******s.

> but there's nothing quite as fun as perpetuating a thread with a title
> like this one, eh? ;-)

You are a cruel and heartless bunch. Needless (and manifestly undeserved)
human suffering means nothing to you. :(

Wolfgang

Frank Reid
October 14th, 2005, 03:05 AM
> "Tim J." > wrote . He was instructed
> that we're nothing but
>> deadbeats and retirees, that fly fishing was for idle/addle minds, and to
>> vacate the premises (or else.) Well, something like that anyway. ;-)
>

> so, what you're saying is that the poor ******* was confronted with the
> truth...

As only a wife can point out.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

riverman
October 14th, 2005, 06:38 AM
"And what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law? We both have truths....are
mine the same as yours?"

SNN for the source of the quote...

--riverman

Tim J.
October 14th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Frank Reid typed:
>> "Tim J." > wrote .
>>> He was instructed that we're nothing but
>>> deadbeats and retirees, that fly fishing was for idle/addle minds,
>>> and to vacate the premises (or else.) Well, something like that
>>> anyway. ;-)
>>
>> so, what you're saying is that the poor ******* was confronted
>> with the truth...
>
> As only a wife can point out.

Hmmmm. . . Seems to me that *your* wife just keeps pointing out the way for
you to get to more 'claves. :)
--
TL,
Tim

Frank Reid
October 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM

>>> so, what you're saying is that the poor ******* was confronted
>>> with the truth...
>>
>> As only a wife can point out.
>
> Hmmmm. . . Seems to me that *your* wife just keeps pointing out the way
> for you to get to more 'claves. :)

And that she does. I think she has a boyfriend. I hope he pays off her
Nordstroms charge.
Then again, she points out that my friends are virtual, I spend hours
creating an imitation of something out of feathers and fur even though it
would only take 3 seconds to put the real thing on my hook, I paid 90 USD
for half of a chicken skin and would do so again in a heartbeat, I have no
proof other than "obviously doctored" photos that I've ever even caught a
fish, she questions my motivations for wanting a long-haired cat, and
finally, she never gets tired of relating to friends assorted incidents in
the home or auto that involved road-kill collections having their own hatch.
I don't need no stinkin' hard drive on my 'puter, I got her.

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Tim J.
October 14th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Frank Reid typed:
<snip>
> she points out that my friends are virtual,

Only until you meet them. I would bet that you have met more roffians then
anyone else out there. Who has a shiny new nickel?
--
TL,
Tim

Frank Reid
October 14th, 2005, 05:45 PM
>> she points out that my friends are virtual,
>
> Only until you meet them. I would bet that you have met more roffians then
> anyone else out there. Who has a shiny new nickel?

Well, don't know, never counted. Didn't want to as someone might bring up
the "Dallas Incident." Oops, did I say that? Uh, what was this thread
about?

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Tim J.
October 14th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Tim J. typed:
<snip>
> . . . you have met more roffians then anyone else. . .

Shoot me.
--
TL,
Tim

riverman
October 15th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Well, MY Frank number is 1.

--riverman

W. D. Grey
October 15th, 2005, 09:51 PM
In article >, Tim J.
> writes
>As bad as it gets, methinks. He was instructed that we're nothing but
>deadbeats and retirees, that fly fishing was for idle/addle minds, and
>to vacate the premises (or else.) Well, something like that anyway. ;-)

Damn how the truth hurts :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Frank Reid
October 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM
> Well, MY Frank number is 1.
>
> --riverman

Hmm, do we have to go into quantum theory to figure out my Frank number?
Can you get dubbing from Schrodinger's cat?
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

vincent p. norris
October 18th, 2005, 12:58 AM
>Can you get dubbing from Schrodinger's cat?

Yeah, Frank, but you can use it only to tie Black Gnats on size 13
hooks, and you must do it in the cellar with the windows shuttered and
the lights out.

vince