PDA

View Full Version : TR: Kelly & the N.F.

Jeff Taylor
October 10th, 2005, 06:31 PM
The morning started early packing the cooler, loading the camper with
gear, picking up last minutes items, such as ice, snacks, fueling up the
diesel and stopping at work for a few last minute tasks. As I sat at my
desk excited about the trip, the second hand couldn't have moved much slower
waited for 1:00 PM to role around.

On the road!! This trip would be somewhat different as I usually travel with
a fishing partner, for reasons out of my control, that didn't work out this
trip. I had a two hour drive before reaching Superior. With AJ playing,
I drove along reflected back on fishing trips this season, my first trip to
Alaska in the spring, and changes that my fishing buddies and I had seen
during the year. As I pulled into the Lucky Lady truck stop to filled the
truck and grabbed a snack I thought to myself, "that sure went quick".

The next two hours are always a pleasure, 55 miles of dirt road with some
pretty amazing scenery. A smile washed across my face as I hit the dirt road
out of Superior, Roger Miller was tapping out tunes to the wash board road.
The sky was blue and the temperature was perfect for a fall trip on Kelly.
The thought of fall fishing and meeting up with a fishing partner that I
hadn't fished with in a year was getting increasingly more exciting as I
drove along. The first 25 miles are nice however not nearly as breath taking
once you reach HooDoo Pass, I must have 50 plus photo's from this location,
it's hard to pass by without a picture or two.

Until just a week or so before, the road down Black Cannon was closed due to
fire, the area had taken on a much different look. There were many trees
down in the river with burnt forest to the waters edge, the N.F. is looking
very
skinny, much more so than when my bride, son and I were in late July. As I
hit the T at the work center and turned right toward camp a feeling of calm
always comes over me, it's one of those places you can truly relax and enjoy
yourself... A few miles down the road I pulled into camp (Flat Camp)
expecting to see my buddy who was to arrive around 3:00 PM. With Rik no
where in sight, I picked out the far north site and setup camp. After
collecting a little fire wood, Rik rolled in with a road construction story
that had him scrabbling through the cooler for a cold beer... After catching
up for a few minutes, we setup his stuff in the camper and started a fire. A
few more beers around the fire, some German sausages cooked in onions and
garlic had our eyes heavy so we turned in for the evening.

Morning came and showed her face with a beautiful blue ski, sun peaking over
the ridge and a crisp in the air, it would be a fine day on the N.F. river
drainage. After a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage and bagels, we
suited up, strung up the rods and filled the cooler with tailgatin'
supplies. Due to the skinny water, I figured we should see what the main
N.F. was looking like, so we turned left out of camp and stopped down the
way at a favorite spot...
It was now just after noon and the river was looking great with the
surroundings in full fall colors, we grabbed our flyrods and walked down to
the river, cracked a cold beer, sat and watched. The October caddis were
having a
hay day, if #10 or #12 orange stimulator were hatching in your flybox, you
would be in aces.... I tied on a #12 burnt orange stimulator and on the
second cast a meaty 13 in. West Slope Cutthroat came completely out of the
water for my
offering, my buddy said "I think it's going to be a fine day!" We
spent the rest of the day working our way down river with very good fishing
and tailgatin' along the way. Best fish of the day taped at just over 17
inches. As the sun set, I told Rik there was a good dinner just waiting to
be cooked back at camp, he eagerly said "let's head that way". Shortly after
arriving at camp, a nice fire was started and I had t-bones, corn on the cob
and baked potatoes cooking on the Coleman stove... With a great day of
fishing, a good dinner and camp fire under our belt, the sleeping bag was
sounding pretty good. After getting in the bag, I barely mumbled "thanks for
a great day" before drifting into dream land.

The day two morning wake up was different, we had an overcast sky that
appeared it could become threatening as the day progressed... After the
normal morning duties, we took a right out of camp and decided to check out
Kelly... Rik and I both agreed it looked as low as either of us had ever
seen it... Our first stop at a nice larger hole for this time of year
proved to be just as productive as the N.F., both catching many fish on our
way up. We drove to the hike in area to see if the Ranger Dwelling was still
standing. (a place we have dreams about living 3 months out of the year) As
usual, still standing and unoccupied. We worked our way back down river past
camp to hit one last location on the N.F. As we pulled over the sprinkles on
the windshield had turned to a light rain. Suited from head to toe in
Gortex, we sat on the tailgate and watched eager Westslopes feed on the
caddis that were now trying to find shelter from the rain. Sipping a cold
beer, enjoying the surroundings, we both agreed being in this place was
great rain or shine... We watched the river for almost an hour and by this
time the rain had turned to showers. The October caddis had vanished, and
the fish would have to find their evening dinner sub-surface... I told Rik I
was getting hungry and he said "I'm on for dinner, I have a Mexican surprise
lined up for tonight". Rik is a great cook, so I knew it was going to be
good. Back at camp we put a tarp up for more covered cooking space and Rik
went to work on dinner. With the absence of a fire due to the rain, we would
eat in the camper. The rain hammered on the camper roof as we sat down to
eat the feast Rik had prepared. It was very good and we finished the
meal with homemade chocolate chip cookies. After clean up, we hit
the sack... Throughout the night, I woke up many times to rain, it had not
let up.

The day three wakeup was very gray, foggy and wet... We put together some
breakfast and sat in the camper deciding whether to fish the last day or
break camp. Rik decided we had two great days of fishing and really didn't
want to spend the last day fishing in soaking rains... At that notion, we
both got up and started preparing to break camp. Within an hour both rigs
were loaded and ready for departure... We said our goodbyes and jumped in
our rigs. Rik pulled out first taking a left destine for Boise. As I watched
the taillights disappear, I hoped we could get together inside a year next
season. I pulled out of camp with that sweet and sour feeling. I knew it
would be nice
to see the family and take a hot shower, but wishing I didn't have to leave.
It would be several months before I was able to come back. I had better
start planning the next adventure, I suppose that is what keeps me going
during the cold winter months.

Some photo's, signup is easy (name, email and password)... Sorry I don't
have an easier way to view...
http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=80101128963049747/l=62847383/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

Life is good...
JT

Big Dale
October 11th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the ride-along JT. This ole boy from Texas is very jealous
of the beautiful places you get to fish. I will have to make it up that
way sometime. The photos are great.

Big DAle

Tim J.
October 11th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Jeff Taylor typed:
<snip>
> The thought of fall fishing and meeting up
> with a fishing partner that I hadn't fished with in a year was
> getting increasingly more exciting as I drove along. The first 25
> miles are nice however not nearly as breath taking once you reach
> HooDoo Pass, I must have 50 plus photo's from this location, it's
> hard to pass by without a picture or two.

Nice, Jeff. What a beautiful place.
--
TL,
Tim

Willi
October 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Jeff Taylor wrote:

> Some photo's, signup is easy (name, email and password)... Sorry I don't
> have an easier way to view...
> http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=80101128963049747/l=62847383/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB
>
> Life is good...
> JT

Some beauties there. I especially liked the one of you fighting the
fish. The color of the water brings back memories of just how pretty it
is there. I'd like to backpack up Kelly from the end of the road. Very
cool place.

Willi

Wayne Harrison
October 12th, 2005, 12:12 AM
"Willi" > wrote

The color of the water brings back memories of just how pretty it
> is there. I'd like to backpack up Kelly from the end of the road.

i thought the image "jt fish", taken from almost directly above the
water, with the marvelous green tint showing brilliantly, was terrific.

where is this place?

yfitons
wayno

lestrout
October 12th, 2005, 03:03 AM
NF might be Clearwater - deep in the boonies of the middle of ID.

tl
les

Jeff Taylor
October 12th, 2005, 04:32 PM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
m...

> i thought the image "jt fish", taken from almost directly above the
> water, with the marvelous green tint showing brilliantly, was terrific.
>
> where is this place?

Glad you enjoyed the photo. This was taken on Kelly Creek in Idaho, its
about 60 miles from Superior, MT. or Pierce, ID. depending on which
direction you come from...

JT

Joe McIntosh
October 13th, 2005, 01:30 PM
"Jeff Taylor" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>> i thought the image "jt fish", taken from almost directly above the
>> water, with the marvelous green tint showing brilliantly, was terrific.
>>
>> where is this place?
>
> Glad you enjoyed the photo. This was taken on Kelly Creek in Idaho, its
> about 60 miles from Superior, MT. or Pierce, ID. depending on which
> direction you come from...
>
> JT
>
>IJ suggests--might add that the 60 mile drive from Mt. is a real exciting
>one- dirt road- cliff side passes- along a very fishable stream
Dene and I made the trip a few years ago and actually tent camped along
Kelly creek for a week.
Honey I'm going fishing again- how many fish do you need for supper?