PDA

View Full Version : RAINBOW? STEELHEAD?

Lionel F. Stevenson
October 13th, 2005, 03:38 PM
We have sea run rainbows here. Nobody calls them Steelhead.

Is there a difference? Do they look different?

-- Lionel

William Claspy
October 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM
On 10/13/05 10:38 AM, in article , "Lionel
F. Stevenson" > wrote:

> We have sea run rainbows here. Nobody calls them Steelhead.
>
> Is there a difference? Do they look different?

First loop connectors vs. nail knots, now "what is a steelhead."

Oh, if it were only an election year...

:-)

Lionel, the fisheries folks next door to you in Nova Scotia seem to call
them both sea run rainbow and steelhead:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsaf/sportfishing/species/rain.shtml

My guess is that it is just "local flavor" that causes naming differences.
Sort of like brook trout/speckled trout/specks, etc.

Bill

Ralph Heidecke
October 15th, 2005, 01:35 AM
where is here?

The lake run rainbows in the Great lakes are called steelhead.

The classic hard nosed definition is a steelhead is a Rainbow that spends at
least one year in the Pacific Ocean - but I think that's more about bragging
rights.

Do they look different? There are many races of steelhead here in the
Pacific North West and British Columbia, some lean and thin others stout and
thick The legal definition of steelhead in BC is any rainbow trout of 50cm
or bigger from any stream known to hold steelhead. Does that help?

The Great Lakes Steelhead tend to be pretty chunky.

Rainbows are "plastic" fish - I mean they adapt quickly to local conditions.
It didn't take long for rainbows in the Firehole to tolerate much higher
temperatures than other 'bow. Rainbows in New Zealand quickly learned to
spawn in Oct-Nov when they used to spawn in Apr-May

Bottom line. A rainbow of any sort is a dam nice fish to catch. Remember
Shakespeare's famous line about a rose. Enjoy yourself
--
"Lionel F. Stevenson" > wrote in message
> We have sea run rainbows here. Nobody calls them Steelhead.
>
> Is there a difference? Do they look different?
>
> -- Lionel

jeffc
October 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM
" Ralph Heidecke" > wrote in message
>The legal definition of steelhead in BC is any rainbow trout of 50cm or
>bigger from any stream known to hold steelhead.

In computer science that's called "infinite loop".

riverman
October 15th, 2005, 05:35 PM
And what about if you caught the VERY LAST ONE...? Would that be a
'steelhead'?

--riverman

Connaisseur
October 18th, 2005, 03:26 PM
"Lionel F. Stevenson" > schreef in bericht
> We have sea run rainbows here. Nobody calls them Steelhead.
>
> Is there a difference? Do they look different?
>
> -- Lionel

A Rainbow is a landlocked Steelhead...;-))

Bill McKee
October 19th, 2005, 06:27 AM
"Connaisseur" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Lionel F. Stevenson" > schreef in bericht
>> We have sea run rainbows here. Nobody calls them Steelhead.
>>
>> Is there a difference? Do they look different?
>>
>> -- Lionel
>>

> A Rainbow is a landlocked Steelhead...;-))

California considers a rainbow in the ocean connected river a rainbow if
less than 24". Steelhead if over 24"

JDOE
October 19th, 2005, 10:32 PM
In article >,
"Connaisseur" > wrote:

> "Lionel F. Stevenson" > schreef in bericht
> > We have sea run rainbows here. Nobody calls them Steelhead.
> >
> > Is there a difference? Do they look different?
> >
> > -- Lionel
> >

> A Rainbow is a landlocked Steelhead...;-))

What is resident rainbow in a anadronymous waterway then? A rainbow
that could go out to ocean but doesnt?

--
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

JDOE
October 19th, 2005, 10:35 PM
In article . net>,
"Bill McKee" > wrote:

> "Connaisseur" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Lionel F. Stevenson" > schreef in bericht
> >> We have sea run rainbows here. Nobody calls them Steelhead.
> >>
> >> Is there a difference? Do they look different?
> >>
> >> -- Lionel
> >>

> > A Rainbow is a landlocked Steelhead...;-))
> >

> California considers a rainbow in the ocean connected river a rainbow if
> less than 24". Steelhead if over 24"

You are wrong. I have a california steelhead report card and its 16
inches not 24 inches. And california does NOT *consider that* a
steelhead. It just considers it for reporting issues.

--
Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

rw
October 19th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Connaisseur wrote:
> "Lionel F. Stevenson" > schreef in bericht
>
>>We have sea run rainbows here. Nobody calls them Steelhead.
>>
>>Is there a difference? Do they look different?
>>
>>-- Lionel
>>

> A Rainbow is a landlocked Steelhead...;-))

Precisely. Like, for example, the landlocked rainbow "steelhead" trout
in the Great Lakes. :-)

Wolfgang
October 20th, 2005, 12:08 AM
"JDOE" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Connaisseur" > wrote:
>
>> "Lionel F. Stevenson" > schreef in bericht
>> > We have sea run rainbows here. Nobody calls them Steelhead.
>> >
>> > Is there a difference? Do they look different?
>> >
>> > -- Lionel
>> >

>> A Rainbow is a landlocked Steelhead...;-))
>>

> What is resident rainbow in a anadronymous waterway then? A rainbow
> that could go out to ocean but doesnt?
>
> --
> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

It has been noted by various men and women throughout history that the
noblest goal to which one can aspire is to be useful. That is to say, to be
of service.....to fill a void, as it were.

Have you ever considered emigration?

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
October 20th, 2005, 12:12 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
m...
> Connaisseur wrote:
>> "Lionel F. Stevenson" > schreef in bericht
>>
>>>We have sea run rainbows here. Nobody calls them Steelhead.
>>>
>>>Is there a difference? Do they look different?
>>>
>>>-- Lionel
>>>

>> A Rainbow is a landlocked Steelhead...;-))
>
> Precisely. Like, for example, the landlocked rainbow "steelhead" trout in
> the Great Lakes. :-)

Oh, lookee! The stupid boy is begging!

Hee, hee, hee.

Wolfgang
come on now, really, can ANYBODY still doubt that the maggot just WILL NOT
learn? :)

Mike Connor
October 20th, 2005, 12:22 AM
"JDOE" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> What is resident rainbow in a anadronymous waterway then? A rainbow
> that could go out to ocean but doesnt?
>
> --
> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

Anadromous = Migrating from the sea to fresh water to spawn.

Therefore, an anadromous rainbow is a steelhead.

If it donīt, then it ainīt.

TL
MC

Jeff Miller
October 20th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Mike Connor wrote:

> If it donīt, then it ainīt.

well gawdam and hellfire, proof certain. ...i knew you musta had a bit
of southern in ya! <g> makes a north carolina feller born in england
damn proud!

jeff

Frank Reid
October 20th, 2005, 02:55 AM
> Anadromous = Migrating from the sea to fresh water to spawn.
>
> Therefore, an anadromous rainbow is a steelhead.

runs from snow to London and you don't wanna know about the spawn thing

Androngenous rainbow = Boy George

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

JR
October 20th, 2005, 03:19 AM
JDOE wrote:
> In article >,
> "Connaisseur" > wrote:
>>
>>A Rainbow is a landlocked Steelhead...;-))
>
> What is resident rainbow in a anadronymous waterway then? A rainbow
> that could go out to ocean but doesnt?

Actually, it's a steelhead that could go out to ocean but doesn't. ;)

The common names are great sources of confusion; they only reflect
different "life forms," different "life history traits" of the species,
and these are far from immutable.

From the evolutionary perspective, a rainbow *is* a resident steelhead,
in the sense that the anadromous life form came first. Some populations
have become landlocked over time, due to geological changes. Others are
not physically landlocked, but although they have access to the sea,
they don't go. It is not unknown--where there are both resident and
anadromous populations of O. mykiss in the same river--for the offspring
of "steelhead" to remain resident and offspring of resident fish to
smolt and migrate to sea.

Bill McKee
October 20th, 2005, 06:18 AM
"JDOE" > wrote in message
> In article . net>,
> "Bill McKee" > wrote:
>
>> "Connaisseur" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>> >
>> > "Lionel F. Stevenson" > schreef in bericht

>> > A Rainbow is a landlocked Steelhead...;-))
>> >

>> California considers a rainbow in the ocean connected river a rainbow if
>> less than 24". Steelhead if over 24"
>>

> You are wrong. I have a california steelhead report card and its 16
> inches not 24 inches. And california does NOT *consider that* a
> steelhead. It just considers it for reporting issues.
>
> --
> Somewhere in Texas a village is missing their Idiot.

Me bad. they do consider it a steel head in anadromous waters.
Section `174 of the regs.

For

purposes of this regulation, a steelhead trout is defined as any rainbow
trout greater

than 16 inches in length found in anadromous waters.

riverman
October 20th, 2005, 07:06 AM
> What is resident rainbow in a anadronymous waterway then? A rainbow
> that could go out to ocean but doesnt?

<Actually, it's a steelhead that could go out to ocean but doesn't>

Sounds like a country-mouse/city-mouse kinda thing. Or maybe that old
Gloria Steinham adage that "all men are potential rapists". All
rainbows are potential steelhead.

--riverman
(somewhere in there, this is germaine...)

Bill McKee
October 20th, 2005, 07:37 AM
"riverman" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> What is resident rainbow in a anadronymous waterway then? A rainbow
>> that could go out to ocean but doesnt?
>

> <Actually, it's a steelhead that could go out to ocean but doesn't>
>

> Sounds like a country-mouse/city-mouse kinda thing. Or maybe that old
> Gloria Steinham adage that "all men are potential rapists". All
> rainbows are potential steelhead.
>
> --riverman
> (somewhere in there, this is germaine...)

NZ rainbows were originally Russian River of California Steelhead.

Wolfgang
October 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> What is resident rainbow in a anadronymous waterway then? A rainbow
>> that could go out to ocean but doesnt?
>

> <Actually, it's a steelhead that could go out to ocean but doesn't>
>

> Sounds like a country-mouse/city-mouse kinda thing.

One of the most instructive parables of all time. It cannot be an accident
that virtually all cultures have some sort of analog of it. And it cannot
but be disheartening that its persistence bespeaks the sad truth that the
lesson needs to be taught over and over and over.........

> Or maybe that old
> Gloria Steinham adage that "all men are potential rapists".

And she was right, all men ARE potential rapists......um, in
theory......well, if you apply the right theory......and definition.

> All rainbows are potential steelhead.

Exactly.....well, in the same sense that all girls born in the United States
(and/or of parents who are United States citizens) are potential presidents.

> --riverman
> (somewhere in there, this is germaine...)

I'd bet a shiny new nickel on the proposition that she's heard THAT one
before. :)

Wolfgang

Bishfish
October 21st, 2005, 02:36 AM
>Rainbows in New Zealand quickly learned to spawn in Oct-Nov when they used
>to spawn in Apr-May

Don't know where this info came from, most rainbows in the North Island at
least, spawn May through August, with peak numbers in June and July
(mid-winter). It is true that spawning fish will come upriver in April in
some rivers, and fish will continue to spawn into Novenmber, but in far
fewer numbers than during the peak runs.

--
Tony Bishop
www.bishfish.co.nz

Mike Connor
October 21st, 2005, 10:10 AM
"Bishfish" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Nice to hear from you Tony. Hope you are doing well?

TL
MC

Bishfish
October 22nd, 2005, 02:23 AM
G'day Mike,

am back to good health now - please send me your email - the one I have goes
nowhere.

Ralph Heidecke
October 25th, 2005, 01:31 AM
--
remove 901 from reply email for valid address.

-----
remove
"Bishfish" > wrote in message
> >Rainbows in New Zealand quickly learned to spawn in Oct-Nov when they
> >used to spawn in Apr-May
>
> Don't know where this info came from, most rainbows in the North Island at
> least, spawn May through August, with peak numbers in June and July
> (mid-winter). It is true that spawning fish will come upriver in April in
> some rivers, and fish will continue to spawn into Novenmber, but in far
> fewer numbers than during the peak runs.
>

> --
> Tony Bishop
> www.bishfish.co.nz
> New Zealand

http://www.southernencounter.co.nz/animal_info/salmonids.htm

"Spawning in rainbow trout within New Zealand takes place in late autumn
and through the winter. "

may be a matter of semantics. by spawning I mean dig redds and lay eggs.
Steelhead typically enter streams in Jan & feb and spawn in MArch & April
(in Washington & british Columbia)

Ralph Heidecke
October 25th, 2005, 02:49 AM
--
-----
> "Bishfish" > wrote in message
>> >Rainbows in New Zealand quickly learned to spawn in Oct-Nov when they
>> >used to spawn in Apr-May
>>
>> Don't know where this info came from, most rainbows in the North Island
>> at least, spawn May through August, with peak numbers in June and July
>> (mid-winter). It is true that spawning fish will come upriver in April in
>> some rivers, and fish will continue to spawn into Novenmber, but in far
>> fewer numbers than during the peak runs.
>>

>> --
>> Tony Bishop
>> www.bishfish.co.nz
>> New Zealand
>>
> http://www.southernencounter.co.nz/animal_info/salmonids.htm
>
> "Spawning in rainbow trout within New Zealand takes place in late autumn
> and through the winter. "

well the penny just dropped - autumn & winter as in April into July etc!
That mistake stuck in my head for a long time.

I can't fathom the water in the toilet bowl spinning in the opposite
direction either. LOL!