PDA

View Full Version : Fly tying table?

Jack Kerley
October 17th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Howdy folks - My wife is tiring of animal upholstery spread hither and yon,
so I'm looking for a tying table to centralize my operation. There are
options from a couple hundred bucks up to custom-built jobs costing several
grand. I've noted one by Made2Fly for around three hundred. It looks
functional in the photos. Anyone have any experience with this unit? Or
other suggestions? Thanks for any input.

Jack Kerley

Mike Connor
October 17th, 2005, 11:21 PM
"Jack Kerley" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Howdy folks - My wife is tiring of animal upholstery spread hither and
> yon, so I'm looking for a tying table to centralize my operation. There
> are options from a couple hundred bucks up to custom-built jobs costing
> several grand. I've noted one by Made2Fly for around three hundred. It
> looks functional in the photos. Anyone have any experience with this unit?
> Or other suggestions? Thanks for any input.
>
> Jack Kerley

Really depends on how much gear you need to store. I have found that large
well sealable plastic boxes, like "rubber maid" etc are the best. For the
tying table itself, one may obtain some nice computer desks, which suit
admirably. They are a lot cheaper than any of the purpose built tables, but
just as good.

TL
MC

October 18th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I've always envisioned a nice roll-top desk so that I can close it and
seal everything out of view. Now if only I can get my children out of
college (educated) and employed so they can afford their own places.
Then I can move out of the basement tying area and into a nice
bedroom.....

Jeff

vincent p. norris
October 19th, 2005, 02:12 AM
> Now if only I can get my children out of college (educated) and
>employed so they can afford their own places. Then I can move
>out of the basement tying area and into a nice bedroom.....

Don't count on it, Jeff. I thought that way too when my kids were
growning up. But they keep coming back for visits, and bringing
THEIR kids, so their rooms still belong to them!

(But I wouldn't have it any other way.)

vince

October 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Shucks..........

Allyn Vaughn
October 20th, 2005, 01:31 AM
On 18 Oct 2005 09:29:48 -0700, wrote:

>I've always envisioned a nice roll-top desk so that I can close it and
>seal everything out of view. Now if only I can get my children out of
>college (educated) and employed so they can afford their own places.
>Then I can move out of the basement tying area and into a nice
>bedroom.....
>
>Jeff

I currently use a secretaries desk (the type with a hinged fold down
work surface) that I fold up to keep the stuff out of site and out of
view. Problem is that I have my c-clamp vise on the fold down area
and to close the desk I have to pack up the vise each time. I would
imagine a roll-top desk would have similar issues unless you use a
pedestal type vise. I keep working on my design for the perfect desk,
so maybe before I pass on I will have it finished (the design I mean!)

Allyn

hermit
October 20th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Guess what? I have an oak roll top desk with 12 small drawers,
letter/file slots, all kinds of nooks and crannies everywhere, but
alas, still not enough room! :)

Rich

On 18 Oct 2005 09:29:48 -0700, wrote:

>I've always envisioned a nice roll-top desk so that I can close it and
>seal everything out of view. Now if only I can get my children out of
>college (educated) and employed so they can afford their own places.
>Then I can move out of the basement tying area and into a nice
>bedroom.....
>
>Jeff

vincent p. norris
October 21st, 2005, 04:21 AM
> I have an oak roll top desk with 12 small drawers,
>letter/file slots, all kinds of nooks and crannies everywhere, but
>alas, still not enough room! :)

There is NEVER enough room.

Flytyer's Law: One always needs ten percent more stuff than he has,
and 20 percent more space.

vince

FlyCaughtInTree
October 21st, 2005, 08:13 PM
I agree with Mike. I put all my materials and my vise in a large-ish
plastic box with a good seal. My wife persuaded me to get a "craft
table" at BigLots. It has lots of room for my vise and materials, as
well as my laptop and a lamp. It also has three outlets for various
and sundry electrical appliances one might need in the course of tying
or whatever. The side bit, which can be mounted on either side, has
places to keep odd bits from rolling around and getting lost. I would
not have thought of getting it for myself, but then, there ya go.
Now if I just had a place for the coffeemaker and the microwave.....