PDA

View Full Version : Homer, Alaska vs. Valdez - for fishing and sightseeing

Jen
December 29th, 2003, 08:17 PM
My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Alaska in late may/early
June 2004. He would like to do some halibut fishing. We both want to
sight-see in Prince William Sound. Which would provide the best
experience:

1. Marine Highway from Valdez to Whittier to see the sound, and
halibut fishing charter in Homer (combined with King Salmon if they're
running – we'll be there in late May),

2. Halibut fishing charter in Valdez (or Whittier?) to sight-see and
fish in the same trip

Option 2 is cheaper, but will it provide an adequate opportunity to
sight-see and fish when compared to Option 1?

Thanks for any advice.

December 30th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Been a while since I've been up that way, but I don't remember Halibut being
that big a thing in Valdez or Whittier, but Homer that's a different thing.
There should be some Kings in the mix at the same time. The run into
Whittier has lots of glaciers on it, but with the global warming lately I
don't know how much you'll see in the water, hear the glaciers that used to
be in the water when I lived up there 25 years ago are now quite a ways up
the valleys. Anyway where Kachemak Bay enters Cook Inlet is a hotspot, Homer
is almost on top of it. I imagine the Glacier Bay runs and the one out of
Yakatat would be the most productive if you want to get close and personal
with a glacier. The run into Haines and Skagway is far prettier than Valdez
or Whittier. Lynn Canal is a fjord with waterfalls going into it all over
the place.

Rob S.
December 31st, 2003, 08:53 PM
(Jen) wrote in message >...
> My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Alaska in late may/early
> June 2004. He would like to do some halibut fishing. We both want to
> sight-see in Prince William Sound. Which would provide the best
> experience:
>
> 1. Marine Highway from Valdez to Whittier to see the sound, and
> halibut fishing charter in Homer (combined with King Salmon if they're
> running ? we'll be there in late May),
>
> 2. Halibut fishing charter in Valdez (or Whittier?) to sight-see and
> fish in the same trip
>
> Option 2 is cheaper, but will it provide an adequate opportunity to
> sight-see and fish when compared to Option 1?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

If you want to fish for Halibut, then you'll want to go out to Homer.
A beautiful trip in and of itself.

chip
January 4th, 2004, 09:49 PM
New here,I would go to homer for the halibut.I would be looking at july
with salmon derby going on. Skagway is far more scenic than valdez.You
won,t see all there is of alaska in a week/month.Thats like going to
disney for a day.

LeRoy Williams
January 8th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Homer is for halibut !!!

"chip" > wrote in message
> New here,I would go to homer for the halibut.I would be looking at july
> with salmon derby going on. Skagway is far more scenic than valdez.You
> won,t see all there is of alaska in a week/month.Thats like going to
> disney for a day.

Outdoors Magazine
January 10th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Jen,
A friend of mine from AK sent me the following for you: