PDA

View Full Version : Sage LL sub

Larry L
October 18th, 2005, 09:18 PM
I recently had reason to remember a Sage LL 4wt I owned. It was one of the
nicest casting rods I've ever had and I was saddened when it died, to find
that Sage no longer made the LL series.

I have a birthday coming up very soon and have been thinking of getting a
4wt ..... anyone out there familiar with that old LL rod and know of one
that comes close to it's lovely action, in this age of broomsticks and
mislabeled, overweight, fly lines made too heavy for the line size to make
broomsticks cast while still having a small "number"?

Wayne Knight
October 18th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Larry L wrote:
> I recently had reason to remember a Sage LL 4wt I owned. It was one of the
> nicest casting rods I've ever had and I was saddened when it died, to find
> that Sage no longer made the LL series.
>
> I have a birthday coming up very soon and have been thinking of getting a
> 4wt ..... anyone out there familiar with that old LL rod and know of one
> that comes close to it's lovely action, in this age of broomsticks and
> mislabeled, overweight, fly lines made too heavy for the line size to make
> broomsticks cast while still having a small "number"?

You are correct Larry, the 389 LL fly rod may have been the sweetest
dry fly rod ever made, even more so than the heritage series by T&T.

Immediately after they dropped the LL series, I THINK their VPS series
was supposed to be the same blank, and you might be able to find one of
those in a shop near you even though they don't list them on the web
site anymore. The other rods that I find *comparable* in action to the
LL are the Winston Tom Morgan Favorite (only available in a two piece
4wt) or the T&T Light Presentation Series (LPS).
Wayne

Big Dale
October 18th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Larry L wrote:
I have a birthday coming up very soon and have been thinking of
getting a
> 4wt ..... anyone out there familiar with that old LL rod and know of one
> that comes close to it's lovely action, in this age of broomsticks and
> mislabeled, overweight, fly lines made too heavy for the line size to make
> broomsticks cast while still having a small "number"?

I have cast a new rod recently and think you might want to give it a
cast or two before you decide. The Temple Fork Finesse line of rods are
just beginning to make it to the shops. I have cast a 7 foot 9 inch 3
weight four piece rod a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. It
is made in weights from 2 to 5 and it is slow enough that I like it a
lot.

Big Dale

Ken Fortenberry
October 18th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Larry L wrote:
> I recently had reason to remember a Sage LL 4wt I owned. It was one of the
> nicest casting rods I've ever had and I was saddened when it died, to find
> that Sage no longer made the LL series.
>
> I have a birthday coming up very soon and have been thinking of getting a
> 4wt ..... anyone out there familiar with that old LL rod and know of one
> that comes close to it's lovely action, in this age of broomsticks and
> mislabeled, overweight, fly lines made too heavy for the line size to make
> broomsticks cast while still having a small "number"?

I have a Sage 490-4 LL and you're right, it is the sweetest
casting 4wt I've ever encountered. I don't know of any rod
that even comes close to its beautiful action in a 9' 4wt.

Winston WT (the renamed IM6) is nice enough and may be the
closest you can get nowadays.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Allen Epps
October 19th, 2005, 01:38 AM
In article >,
"Larry L" > wrote:

> I recently had reason to remember a Sage LL 4wt I owned. It was one of the
> nicest casting rods I've ever had and I was saddened when it died, to find
> that Sage no longer made the LL series.
>
> I have a birthday coming up very soon and have been thinking of getting a
> 4wt ..... anyone out there familiar with that old LL rod and know of one
> that comes close to it's lovely action, in this age of broomsticks and
> mislabeled, overweight, fly lines made too heavy for the line size to make
> broomsticks cast while still having a small "number"?

Larry,
I have the six weight version and while I don't use it much here in Md I
was reminded this summer on the Madison why I like it so much. I did
check when I came back and at that time there was a 4 weight on e-bay
for fairly cheap.

Allen

asadi
October 19th, 2005, 03:40 AM
"Larry L" > wrote in message
>I recently had reason to remember a Sage LL 4wt I owned. it's lovely
>action,

Dam Larry,

If I had one I'd give it to you.....

john

asadi
October 19th, 2005, 03:42 AM
.. . . but then, I've always been rather gullible.

john

"asadi" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Larry L" > wrote in message
>>I recently had reason to remember a Sage LL 4wt I owned. it's lovely
>>action,
>
> Dam Larry,
>
> If I had one I'd give it to you.....
>
> john

Lionel F. Stevenson
October 19th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Sage LL Sage LL alert!
http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/forums/read/30/1114/1114
-- Lionel

> From: "Larry L" >
> Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:18:04 GMT
> Subject: Sage LL sub
>
> I recently had reason to remember a Sage LL 4wt I owned. It was one of the
> nicest casting rods I've ever had and I was saddened when it died, to find
> that Sage no longer made the LL series.
>
> I have a birthday coming up very soon and have been thinking of getting a
> 4wt ..... anyone out there familiar with that old LL rod and know of one
> that comes close to it's lovely action, in this age of broomsticks and
> mislabeled, overweight, fly lines made too heavy for the line size to make
> broomsticks cast while still having a small "number"?

Larry L
October 19th, 2005, 05:54 PM
"asadi" > wrote

>. . . but then, I've always been rather gullible.

ah, what rods DO you have, John? I'm pretty fickle, I could learn to love
one of them in time, I'm sure <G>

Larry ( who feels this gullible theory deserves testing )

briansfly
October 20th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Larry L wrote:
> I recently had reason to remember a Sage LL 4wt I owned. It was one of the
> nicest casting rods I've ever had and I was saddened when it died, to find
> that Sage no longer made the LL series.
>
> I have a birthday coming up very soon and have been thinking of getting a
> 4wt ..... anyone out there familiar with that old LL rod and know of one
> that comes close to it's lovely action, in this age of broomsticks and
> mislabeled, overweight, fly lines made too heavy for the line size to make
> broomsticks cast while still having a small "number"?

Hey Larry,

You might just be in luck. As Wayne stated, the VPS(Light Series)was
supposed to replace the LL Series. I heard the hardware wasn't up to LL
standards, but the rod action was *supposed* to be same. The VPS and VPS
Light Series is now discontinued. They are on closeout at many shops.
Check your local shop(Sierra Anglers?), or go shopping on the net.

Good luck!

brians

Larry L
October 20th, 2005, 10:49 PM
"briansfly" > wrote

They are on closeout at many shops.
> Check your local shop(Sierra Anglers?), or go shopping on the net.

I already got my birthday gift for myself and decided against yet another
fly rod .... but I'll ask Bob at Sierra Anglers about the series you mention
....maybe two gifts?

briansfly
October 21st, 2005, 01:08 AM
Larry L wrote:
> "briansfly" > wrote
>
> They are on closeout at many shops.
>
>>Check your local shop(Sierra Anglers?), or go shopping on the net.
>>

> I already got my birthday gift for myself and decided against yet another
> fly rod .... but I'll ask Bob at Sierra Anglers about the series you mention
> ...maybe two gifts?

whachaget?

Get two gifts, and make Mr Knight proud. :-)

brians

Larry L
October 21st, 2005, 02:25 AM
"briansfly" > wrote

> whachaget?

I fish alone 99.9% of the time. I generally like it that way except for
the times when a second body actually serves a function ... read that as
"helps with shuttle."

Well, for some time I've thought I could use a bicycle trailer for shuttling
my WaterMaster but I haven't found a suitable trailer. It just happened
that today I stopped to buy my lovely bride of 30 years some candy ( I'm an
incurable romantic ) at See's and noticed a Burley "flat bed" trailer in the
window of a bike shop .... sold.

I may try it tomorrow on the Stanislaus ( I live in Oakdale ), I can lock
the bike and trailer at Orange Blossom, drive up river and launch, drift,
and then peddle my way back to the truck.

I've been riding around the area here this afternoon with TWO WaterMaster's
on the trailer and it's a piece of cake .... here is a picture with just one
raft on the trailer taken about 5 minutes ago
http://www.kimshew.com/biketrailer.jpg

..... it will take about 10 minutes to go from on the water to on the
trailer

------ warning spam to follow -------- IF what you want in a personal
portable water craft is a personal Portable watercraft ... it's damn hard to
beat a WaterMaster.

Conan The Librarian
October 21st, 2005, 01:28 PM
Big Dale wrote:

> I have cast a new rod recently and think you might want to give it a
> cast or two before you decide. The Temple Fork Finesse line of rods are
> just beginning to make it to the shops. I have cast a 7 foot 9 inch 3
> weight four piece rod a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. It
> is made in weights from 2 to 5 and it is slow enough that I like it a
> lot.

Ah, I was about to ask the group if anyone had any experience with
that new series. So it's got a fairly slow action? How would you
compare it to the "series one" rods? I've got a 3-wt. in that series,
and I like it a lot, but a travel rod would make life easier. (I've
been thinking about getting a 4-wt., as that's a gap in my ... er ...
"collection".)

Chuck Vance

William Claspy
October 21st, 2005, 01:54 PM
On 10/20/05 9:25 PM, in article
, "Larry L"
> wrote:

> http://www.kimshew.com/biketrailer.jpg

Neat!

Bill

Tom Nakashima
October 21st, 2005, 02:32 PM
"Larry L" > wrote in message

> I may try it tomorrow on the Stanislaus ( I live in Oakdale ), I can lock
> the bike and trailer at Orange Blossom, drive up river and launch, drift,
> and then peddle my way back to the truck.
>
> I've been riding around the area here this afternoon with TWO
> WaterMaster's
> on the trailer and it's a piece of cake .... here is a picture with just
> one
> raft on the trailer taken about 5 minutes ago
> http://www.kimshew.com/biketrailer.jpg

Pretty nice trailer Larry, is it easy to pull by bike?
I pulled up the Burley Bike Trailer website and was looking at the Nomad.
http://www.burley.com/products/trailers/default.aspx?p=Nomad&i=5
-tom

Larry L
October 21st, 2005, 03:37 PM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote

> Pretty nice trailer Larry, is it easy to pull by bike?
> I pulled up the Burley Bike Trailer website and was looking at the Nomad.
> http://www.burley.com/products/trailers/default.aspx?p=Nomad&i=5
> -tom

It seems to be very easy .... with about 80 pounds it's hardly noticable
on level pavement ( the safety flag generates more wind drag than the
trailer adds in drag ). I bet the Nomad is exactly the same trailer with
different cloth parts for protecting your gear. I met a guy in W.Jellystone
that had one and had towed a tent and such from Ketchum, Id with it .... his
comment was "never notice it's there." I didn't need, or want, the cover
for gear and so the flat bed was ideal.

I'd 'guess' that on a bumpy, narrow, mountain bike trail it might be a pain
and one of the single wheel models better ( Yakima brand I think ) but my
planned venues all have paved roads near them suitable for bike travel.

briansfly
October 21st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Larry L wrote:
> "briansfly" > wrote
>

>>whachaget?

> http://www.kimshew.com/biketrailer.jpg
>
> ..... it will take about 10 minutes to go from on the water to on the
> trailer

Wow, very nice! When you said "flat bed" I thought of a big, wide,
cumbersome thing. I can see why you wouldn't notice it being there.

I will be snooping around, a little south of you, tomorrow.

brians

Larry L
October 21st, 2005, 08:36 PM
"briansfly" > wrote

> I will be snooping around, a little south of you, tomorrow.

I went to the Stan today intending to drift from Honolulu to Orange Blossom
..... but the water was WAY up since I was there a few days ago ....too 'up'
for me. There were two guys with spin gear throwing big spoons weighted
further with wads of split shot and you could still see their lures way up
off the bottom. Never got to try my b-day gift, but Jan 1st will come soon
enough.

Went to Knight's Ferry and the Salmon were up there and three bus loads of
school kids were "ooh, ah, wow, look at THAT one!" carrying on from the
bridge .... it's so cool seeing kids get turned on .....

You going to the Merced? .... or out collecting tying material, in a duck
blind?

briansfly
October 21st, 2005, 11:14 PM
Larry L wrote:
> "briansfly" > wrote
>

>>I will be snooping around, a little south of you, tomorrow.
>
> I went to the Stan today intending to drift from Honolulu to Orange Blossom
> .... but the water was WAY up since I was there a few days ago ....too 'up'
> for me. There were two guys with spin gear throwing big spoons weighted
> further with wads of split shot and you could still see their lures way up
> off the bottom. Never got to try my b-day gift, but Jan 1st will come soon
> enough.

Sounds like snaggers?

> You going to the Merced? .... or out collecting tying material, in a duck
> blind?

Yes....might, unfortunately no.

brians

Big Dale
October 22nd, 2005, 10:39 AM
Chuck: I do not have a series one rod, but it is MUCH slower than
either of my Pro series rods. They claim it was made to cast with only
five feet of line past the tip of the rod. I know that it casts well
that way and also great up to about 45 feet for me. That is about as
far as I cast anything. They should be available to try in a shop near
you soon. I got an e-mail from Waldo and he said they were in and he
was looking forward to fishing them.

Big Dale

Conan The Librarian
October 24th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Big Dale wrote:

> Chuck: I do not have a series one rod, but it is MUCH slower than
> either of my Pro series rods. They claim it was made to cast with only
> five feet of line past the tip of the rod. I know that it casts well
> that way and also great up to about 45 feet for me. That is about as
> far as I cast anything. They should be available to try in a shop near
> you soon. I got an e-mail from Waldo and he said they were in and he
> was looking forward to fishing them.

Excellent, thanks for the info, BD. Sounds like it would be just
the ticket for those NC streams. Now, do I get a 4-wt. to fill that gap
in my arsenal, or do I buy another 3-wt.?

Chuck Vance (decisions, decisions)

Big Dale
October 24th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I am not a good one to advise on the subject of 3 weight rods. I quit
counting the 3 weight rods I have several years ago and continue to buy
the ones I like. I have one designated 4 weight rod and another that
works best with a 4 weight line, but it was supposed to be a 2 weight
rod. I guess I keep buying 3 weight rods because I have several reels
with different 3 weight lines that I use .

I just like the damn things.

Big Dale

October 24th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Sounds like you have your problem of shuttle solved. However, I solve
the problem by getting out either at Orange Blossom or at town and
calling a cab. $20

Bob Patton
October 25th, 2005, 02:50 AM
"Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
> Big Dale wrote:
>
>> Chuck: I do not have a series one rod, but it is MUCH slower than
>> either of my Pro series rods. They claim it was made to cast with only
>> five feet of line past the tip of the rod. I know that it casts well
>> that way and also great up to about 45 feet for me. That is about as
>> far as I cast anything. They should be available to try in a shop near
>> you soon. I got an e-mail from Waldo and he said they were in and he
>> was looking forward to fishing them.
>
> Excellent, thanks for the info, BD. Sounds like it would be just the
> ticket for those NC streams. Now, do I get a 4-wt. to fill that gap in my
> arsenal, or do I buy another 3-wt.?
>

> Chuck Vance (decisions, decisions)

It really depends on the size of rhodos you plan to catch. If you want to go
out a little farther to catch maples and poplars you probably should get a
little heavier rod.

HTH
Bob

Conan The Librarian
October 25th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Bob Patton wrote:

> "Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
>
>> Excellent, thanks for the info, BD. Sounds like it would be just the
>>ticket for those NC streams. Now, do I get a 4-wt. to fill that gap in my
>>arsenal, or do I buy another 3-wt.?
>
> It really depends on the size of rhodos you plan to catch. If you want to go
> out a little farther to catch maples and poplars you probably should get a
> little heavier rod.

Shouldn't I also get a longer rod?

Chuck Vance (who was really starting to get the hang of rhodo
fishing during that week in NC, but the poplars were beyond my reach ...
so to speak)