PDA

View Full Version : Estimating the rating of a rod

No left turn
October 19th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Salvaged gear -

I have a flyrod set up that I like,
'but as it was hand made,
nothing is labeled.

I want to know the weight of the line.

Can't I weigh a specific amount of the line I like best,
get a ball park on the weight of the rod.

Anyone know a link to a site that will give me this info

Thanks
Steve

Tom Nakashima
October 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM
"No left turn" > wrote in message ...

Salvaged gear -
I have a flyrod set up that I like,
'but as it was hand made,
nothing is labeled I want to know the weight of the line.
Can't I weigh a specific amount of the line I like best, get a ball park on the weight of the rod. Anyone know a link to a site that will give me this info
Thanks
Steve

Steve, it's best to take the flyrod to a local reputable fly-fishing shop, and let experienced casters examine the rod. They could probably give you a good ballpark estimated weight, and even attach their reels to try out different size lines, as they have many ready to go for their demo rods.
-tom

Ken Fortenberry
October 19th, 2005, 03:46 PM

http://home.att.net/~slowsnap/calib5.htm

--
Ken Fortenberry

Mike Connor
October 19th, 2005, 04:22 PM
http://www.common-cents.info/index.htm

TL
MC

October 20th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Mike put you on the right path, the common cents system is a viable working
system that the rodbuilders here in the US have used for two years now.
Japan and europe really have run with it to the point that some manufactures
are talking of using it on the rods. Sounds like they have come up with two
ideas, some will put it with the rest of the info on the butt section of the
blank forward of the grip, but most seem to think they want to put the
action angle and power on/in the butt cap. Seen some done that way, really
sets the rod off and it's right there where you can see it when you open the
bag on a multi rod transport into the bush.

Mike Connor
October 20th, 2005, 01:34 AM
> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
hlink.net...
> Mike put you on the right path, the common cents system is a viable
> working
> system that the rodbuilders here in the US have used for two years now.
> Japan and europe really have run with it to the point that some
> manufactures
> are talking of using it on the rods. Sounds like they have come up with
> two
> ideas, some will put it with the rest of the info on the butt section of
> the
> blank forward of the grip, but most seem to think they want to put the
> action angle and power on/in the butt cap. Seen some done that way, really
> sets the rod off and it's right there where you can see it when you open
> the
> bag on a multi rod transport into the bush.

The best system yet devised. Easy to use, and once you have a yardstick, (
If you donīt know what a dog is, then you donīt know whether you want a
labrador or a poodle), ( Sorry BJ, no cats), then it is also an excellent
way of comparing rods line weights, action etc.

Bill Hanneman is to be congratulated, on an excellent and extremely useful
piece of work.

TL
MC