PDA

View Full Version : Harry Middleton Pilgrimage

George Cleveland
October 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM
A guy on the Wisconsin flyfishing board that I help moderate is going
to take a backpacking trip next week along some of the streams
Middleton writes about in the "Spine of Time". He was wondering what
flies would be a good choice this time of year, plus any other
comments by people who are familiar with Middleton's favorite waters.
Considering all the local knowledge that resides here I thought I'd
post his question to you folks.

Thanks.

George C.

Wayne Harrison
October 19th, 2005, 05:45 PM
"George Cleveland" > wrote in message
>A guy on the Wisconsin flyfishing board that I help moderate is going
> to take a backpacking trip next week along some of the streams
> Middleton writes about in the "Spine of Time". He was wondering what
> flies would be a good choice this time of year, plus any other
> comments by people who are familiar with Middleton's favorite waters.
> Considering all the local knowledge that resides here I thought I'd
> post his question to you folks.
>

> Thanks.
>
> George C.

have him email me, george; i will give him the questionable benefit of
my fleeting moments of experience.

>yfitons
wayno

Joe McIntosh
October 19th, 2005, 08:19 PM
"George Cleveland" > wrote in message
>A guy on the Wisconsin flyfishing board that I help moderate is going
> to take a backpacking trip next week along some of the streams
> Middleton writes about in the "Spine of Time". He was wondering what
> flies would be a good choice this time of year, plus any other
> comments by people who are familiar with Middleton's favorite waters.
> Considering all the local knowledge that resides here I thought I'd
> post his question to you folks.
>

> Thanks.
>
> George C.
>
>Indian Joe offers--think I have perused most of then area but would need
>a little more information about his plans in order to offer worthy
>suggestions.
generally head for Graham N.C. area to find Snowbird., Hazel and Slickrock
Creeks.
Jeff Miller just returned from two weeks in that area and also owns a
couple of estates up that way.
so he should be some help. I strongly advise not hiking down from
Clingman"s Dome unless he has someone to pick him up at downstream end of
trail. I recently retired from backpacking after finding out riding a bike
and playing doubles tennis does NOT get a old indian in shape for
backpacking.

George Cleveland
October 19th, 2005, 10:39 PM
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:45:47 -0400, "Wayne Harrison"
> wrote:

>"George Cleveland" > wrote in message
>>A guy on the Wisconsin flyfishing board that I help moderate is going
>> to take a backpacking trip next week along some of the streams
>> Middleton writes about in the "Spine of Time". He was wondering what
>> flies would be a good choice this time of year, plus any other
>> comments by people who are familiar with Middleton's favorite waters.
>> Considering all the local knowledge that resides here I thought I'd
>> post his question to you folks.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> George C.
>
> have him email me, george; i will give him the questionable benefit of
>my fleeting moments of experience.
>>
>>yfitons
>wayno

Will do Master Harrison.

Thanks.

Geo.

Jeff Miller
October 20th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Joe McIntosh wrote:

>I strongly advise not hiking down from
> Clingman"s Dome unless he has someone to pick him up at downstream end of
> trail. I recently retired from backpacking after finding out riding a bike
> and playing doubles tennis does NOT get a old indian in shape for
> backpacking.

many of us are still looking for your description of that trip down the
trail from clingman's... is it just "too hard to talk about"?

jeff (who first heard the "it's just too hard to talk about" comment in
a sex abuse trial... honest, no kidding.)

Jeff Miller
October 20th, 2005, 01:09 AM
George Cleveland wrote:

> A guy on the Wisconsin flyfishing board that I help moderate is going
> to take a backpacking trip next week along some of the streams
> Middleton writes about in the "Spine of Time". He was wondering what
> flies would be a good choice this time of year, plus any other
> comments by people who are familiar with Middleton's favorite waters.
> Considering all the local knowledge that resides here I thought I'd
> post his question to you folks.
>

> Thanks.
>
> George C.

tan elk hair caddis, parachute blue wing olive, parachute adams,
parachute hares ear, royal stimulator, royal wulff, royal trude (in
order of success)... i'll let forty suggest suitable nymph and wets...

jeff

Bob Patton
October 21st, 2005, 05:24 PM
"George Cleveland" > wrote in message
>A guy on the Wisconsin flyfishing board that I help moderate is going
> to take a backpacking trip next week along some of the streams
> Middleton writes about in the "Spine of Time". He was wondering what
> flies would be a good choice this time of year, plus any other
> comments by people who are familiar with Middleton's favorite waters.
> Considering all the local knowledge that resides here I thought I'd
> post his question to you folks.

Ambitious!
Didn't Middleton mention some of the flies he used? I think he mentioned
that he used a McGinty on Hazel.

Much of his fishing seems to have been with wets and nymphs, and as for
nymphs I don't think it makes much difference. Water moves fast and need to
get the fly down quickly, so I'd use something small and heavy. I had pretty
good luck (by my generous standards) on Slickrock with a no. 20 beadhead
generic nymph.

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)