PDA

View Full Version : NC trout stream photos

Bob Patton
October 22nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
Here are some images of Slickrock, the trail thereto, and a few other
streams in southwestern North Carolina. This doesn't include any photos of
Snowbird or Hazel because I forgot to take my camera and, besides, Jeff
posted some very good photos of those streams.

http://webpages.charter.net/rwpatton/rwpatton/

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Jarmo Hurri
October 22nd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Bob> Here are some images of Slickrock, the trail thereto, and a few
Bob> other streams in southwestern North Carolina.

Very nice! Do you have a lot of streams like that in your area? Are
they all public access? Are they often/ever crowded?

The minds of small-stream fishermen want to know...

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

JR
October 22nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Bob Patton wrote:

> http://webpages.charter.net/rwpatton/rwpatton/

Those are enjoyably *evocative* photos..... especially the ones toward
the end entitled "brook trout habitat" or "rising brook trout," and such.

Occurs to me I need a travel budget worth the name......

Dave Mohnsen
October 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM
"Bob Patton" > wrote in message
> Here are some images of Slickrock, the trail thereto, and a few other
> streams in southwestern North Carolina. This doesn't include any photos of
> Snowbird or Hazel because I forgot to take my camera and, besides, Jeff
> posted some very good photos of those streams.
> http://webpages.charter.net/rwpatton/rwpatton/
> Bob Patton

Hi Bob,
Thanks for letting me visit the trip. I like the old family home.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Joe McIntosh
October 22nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
"Bob Patton" > wrote in message
> Here are some images of Slickrock, the trail thereto, and a few other
> streams in southwestern North Carolina. >

Indian Joe purports---great pictures Bob--can almost feel the purl of
Slickrock--especially enjoyed the layout of your photos and the included
verbiage-----think I hooked that brookie beside the big rock a couple of
years ago.

Bob Patton
October 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
"Jarmo Hurri" > wrote in message
> Very nice! Do you have a lot of streams like that in your area? Are
> they all public access? Are they often/ever crowded?
>
> The minds of small-stream fishermen want to know...
>
> --
> Jarmo Hurri

Glad you liked them. These are all public streams. We have a good many
miles of them but not enough, and many of them are under more and more
pressure from fishermen and other economic interests. Protection requires
constant work.

I don't know what you mean by "crowded" but to me a stream is crowded if I
can see another fisherman. But some southern appalachian streams are so
small, so heavily covered, and so twisty that another fisherman can be a
hundred meters away and you'd not know if he was there unless you saw his
footprints.
--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Bob Patton
October 22nd, 2005, 05:45 PM
"JR" > wrote in message ...
> Bob Patton wrote:
>>
>> http://webpages.charter.net/rwpatton/rwpatton/
>
> Those are enjoyably *evocative* photos..... especially the ones toward the
> end entitled "brook trout habitat" or "rising brook trout," and such.
>
> Occurs to me I need a travel budget worth the name......

Glad you enjoyed - I certainly enjoyed taking them. I bet I took twenty
pictures of those fish just to get the two that I posted.
--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Bob Patton
October 22nd, 2005, 05:54 PM
"Dave Mohnsen" > wrote in message
k.net...
//snip//
> Hi Bob,
> Thanks for letting me visit the trip. I like the old family home.
> BestWishes,
> DaveMohnsen
> Denver

Thanks. To me, fly fishing in wild trout streams in western NC has a pretty
big component of history and tradition. Almost all of that area which is now
wooded has been logged and farmed. A year ago walking up a creek called
Kimsey Creek I found an old meadow with ancient apple trees. They had ripe
apples on them about the size of golf balls, and I filled my pockets.

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Bob Patton
October 22nd, 2005, 06:02 PM
"Joe McIntosh" > wrote in message
//snip//>
> Indian Joe purports---great pictures Bob--can almost feel the purl of
> Slickrock--especially enjoyed the layout of your photos and the included
> verbiage-----think I hooked that brookie beside the big rock a couple of
> years ago.
Glad you liked them, IJ. Slickrock was fun. Different from other streams
because of the topography. It's high on my list for streams to return to.

Hope to get a chance to compare notes out there with you one of these days.

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

jeffc
October 23rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
"Joe McIntosh" > wrote in message

> "Bob Patton" > wrote in message
>> Here are some images of Slickrock, the trail thereto, and a few other
>> streams in southwestern North Carolina. >
>
> Indian Joe purports---great pictures Bob--can almost feel the purl of
> Slickrock

Purl - now that is a fine word. Awesome pictures Bob, especially of the
brook trout stream.

Bob Patton
October 24th, 2005, 01:08 AM
"jeffc" > wrote in message
om...

//snip//>>
>> Indian Joe purports---great pictures Bob--can almost feel the purl of
>> Slickrock
>
> Purl - now that is a fine word. Awesome pictures Bob, especially of the
> brook trout stream.

I agree - that is a remarkably fine, poetic turn of phrase to describe a
trout stream. I've gotta remember it.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I'm getting to the point that I can sometimes
have almost as much fun with a camera as with a fly rod.

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Wolfgang
October 24th, 2005, 01:54 PM
"Bob Patton" > wrote in message
> Here are some images of Slickrock, the trail thereto, and a few other
> streams in southwestern North Carolina. This doesn't include any photos of
> Snowbird or Hazel because I forgot to take my camera and, besides, Jeff
> posted some very good photos of those streams.
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/rwpatton/rwpatton/

"My great grandfather built the main part of this Macon County house in
about 1869 so that he could marry the woman who became my great
grandmother."

Did it work? :)

Nice photos, Bob.

Thanks.

Wolfgang

Jarmo Hurri
October 24th, 2005, 07:40 PM
>> Very nice! Do you have a lot of streams like that in your area? Are
>> they all public access? Are they often/ever crowded?

Bob> These are all public streams. ... I don't know what you mean by
Bob> "crowded" but to me a stream is crowded if I can see another
Bob> fisherman. But some southern appalachian streams are so small, so
Bob> heavily covered, and so twisty that another fisherman can be a
Bob> hundred meters away and you'd not know if he was there unless you
Bob> saw his footprints.

Sounds perfect to me. I saved your messages in case I ever happen to
be "in the neighborhood".

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

Bob Patton
October 25th, 2005, 02:29 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

//snip//
> "My great grandfather built the main part of this Macon County house in
> about 1869 so that he could marry the woman who became my great
> grandmother."
>
> Did it work? :)

Hmmmmm.
She must have been a hell of a catch. I should present that idea to my
daughters' boyfriends. If I ever see them.

> Nice photos, Bob.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Wolfgang
Glad you liked them. Missed seeing you this year. One day I drove up the
North River Road, crossed the ridge, and down the road beside Santeetlah. I
marveled at how you, Jeffie, and I climbed out of that damned creek. We must
have been almost within hailing distance of the Cherohala.

Bob