PDA

View Full Version : Peeler Crab

fox66
October 22nd, 2005, 07:33 PM
I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have. Could anyone tell me
if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how would
you fish them?

Thanks

reg
October 22nd, 2005, 07:46 PM
"fox66" > wrote in message
> I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have. Could anyone tell
me
> if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how
would
> you fish them?
>
> Thanks

well me ole lubber, what you need to do is catch a nice bass and use that
for crab bait, works bloody well !!!!

Clint Sharp
October 22nd, 2005, 09:08 PM
In message >, reg
> writes
>
>"fox66" > wrote in message
>> I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have. Could anyone tell
>me
>> if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how
>would
>> you fish them?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>well me ole lubber, what you need to do is catch a nice bass and use that
>for crab bait, works bloody well !!!!

Failing that, a nice nub end of bacon rind (the thick bit that isn't
thick enough to go through the slicer/is more rind than bacon) dangled
onto the sea bed from a child's crab line (preferably your own child's)
will attract crabs like nothing else in my experience.
--
Clint Sharp

Iain Douglas
October 22nd, 2005, 10:02 PM
fox66 wrote:
> I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have. Could anyone tell me
> if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how would
> you fish them?
>
> Thanks

Hardback crabs aren't used as bait. I've seen very small hardbacks (10p
size) coughed up occasionally but presenting them as bait would be
difficult. Have a look here
http://www.wirralseafishing.co.uk/peelercrab.htm for more info.

The Ninja
October 23rd, 2005, 12:25 AM
Got to be peeler m8, hardbacks are no good.

;-)

www.ninja69.info

"fox66" > wrote in message
>I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have. Could anyone tell
>me if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how
>would you fish them?
>
> Thanks

Derek.Moody
October 23rd, 2005, 12:58 AM
In article >, fox66
> wrote:
> I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have.

More a spring/early summer bait. The problem usually is keeping the small
fish and less desirable species from taking them before the ones you want...

Down here it's a mistake to use them once the sun is up or wrasse nick the
lot.

> Could anyone tell me
> if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how would
> you fish them?

It's the scent trail that does it. Temptation wise, to a bass peelers are
the equivalent of smoked bacon sizzling in the pan.

If you can get a lot of damaged hardbacks (trawlers usually have a few
buckets full to shovel over the side) pulp them in a steel bucket with a
heavy stick and use as groundbait. Fish another damaged hardback among that
and it's at least as good.

Cheerio,

--

Abu Garcia