PDA

View Full Version : Bali

rw
October 23rd, 2005, 11:09 PM
I might be going to Bali for a week after Thanksgiving. Does anyone know
about fishing opportunities there? I've never heard of any. The Web has
a few things, but I don't really trust the information.

Chris Cook
October 23rd, 2005, 11:18 PM
There are some cracking Sal****er Fly Fishing Opportunities out there. Your
best bet would be to find someone locally when you are out there. Very good
value too - you can even afford a generous tip if you have a good day with
him - a small gesture will go a long way for someone out there.

Chris

"rw" > wrote in message
> I might be going to Bali for a week after Thanksgiving. Does anyone know
> about fishing opportunities there? I've never heard of any. The Web has
> a few things, but I don't really trust the information.
>
> --
> Cut "to the chase" for my email address.

Wolfgang
October 23rd, 2005, 11:58 PM
"rw" > wrote in message
>I might be going to Bali for a week after Thanksgiving. Does anyone know
>about fishing opportunities there?

Not me. Um......but then, you probably already guessed that.

> I've never heard of any.

Hm......

Well, Bali is an island twixt the Bali Sea and the Indian Ocean, somewhere
around 8 1/2 S and 116 E if memory serves. As far as anyone has been able
to determine to date, virtually ALL of the islands in the region are
surrounded by water. Fishing is probably not out of the question.

> The Web has a few things, but I don't really trust the information.

Yeah, well, if it was on the psig web page, I don't think you'll find a
single person on this entire newsgroup who would blame you. :)

Wolfgang
don't thank me........it's a duty.

Dave LaCourse
October 24th, 2005, 12:27 AM
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:09:16 -0600, rw
> wrote:

>The Web has
>a few things, but I don't really trust the information.

You can trust the info the web has on terrorism on Bali. I know they
were hit two or three years ago. Muslim country. White face. Betcha
you'd have all the good spots to yourself. Buy lots of shirts with
the French Tri-color.

rw
October 24th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "rw" > wrote in message
>
>>I might be going to Bali for a week after Thanksgiving. Does anyone know
>>about fishing opportunities there?
>

> Not me. Um......but then, you probably already guessed that.
>

>>I've never heard of any.
>

> Hm......
>
> Well, Bali is an island twixt the Bali Sea and the Indian Ocean, somewhere
> around 8 1/2 S and 116 E if memory serves. As far as anyone has been able
> to determine to date, virtually ALL of the islands in the region are
> surrounded by water. Fishing is probably not out of the question.
>

>>The Web has a few things, but I don't really trust the information.
>

> Yeah, well, if it was on the psig web page, I don't think you'll find a
> single person on this entire newsgroup who would blame you. :)

My, my. I've certainly put your panties in a bunch. I guess I'll have to
put up with you stalking me for awhile. But that isn't so bad because it
just demonstrates what an arrogant, obnoxious fool you are.

BTW, Hawaii is surrounded by water too, but I wouldn't waste my time fly
fishing there. I did once run into a guy who has a place on Molokai who
said he had good bonefishing right off his beach, but it was very much
the exception rather than the rule.

rw
October 24th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Dave LaCourse wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:09:16 -0600, rw
> > wrote:
>

>>The Web has
>>a few things, but I don't really trust the information.
>

> You can trust the info the web has on terrorism on Bali. I know they
> were hit two or three years ago. Muslim country. White face. Betcha
> you'd have all the good spots to yourself. Buy lots of shirts with
> the French Tri-color.

They were hit again just recently, but you wouldn't want me to let the
terrorists win, would you?

BTW, Bali is predominantly Hindu.

Wolfgang
October 24th, 2005, 12:56 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
m...
> Wolfgang wrote:
>> "rw" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I might be going to Bali for a week after Thanksgiving. Does anyone know
>>>about fishing opportunities there?
>>

>> Not me. Um......but then, you probably already guessed that.
>>

>>>I've never heard of any.
>>

>> Hm......
>>
>> Well, Bali is an island twixt the Bali Sea and the Indian Ocean,
>> somewhere around 8 1/2 S and 116 E if memory serves. As far as anyone
>> has been able to determine to date, virtually ALL of the islands in the
>> region are surrounded by water. Fishing is probably not out of the
>> question.
>>

>>>The Web has a few things, but I don't really trust the information.
>>

>> Yeah, well, if it was on the psig web page, I don't think you'll find a
>> single person on this entire newsgroup who would blame you. :)
>
> My, my. I've certainly put your panties in a bunch. I guess I'll have to
> put up with you stalking me for awhile.

BOO!

Hee, hee, hee. :)

> But that isn't so bad because it just demonstrates what an arrogant,
> obnoxious fool you are.

Oh, like we really NEEDED another demostration of THAT.......ainna?

> BTW, Hawaii is surrounded by water too,

Hm.....well, not on the bottom.

> but I wouldn't waste my time fly fishing there.

O.k.

> I did once run into a guy who has a place on Molokai who said he had good
> bonefishing right off his beach, but it was very much the exception rather
> than the rule.

Well......gosh.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
October 24th, 2005, 01:01 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
m...

> ...Bali is predominantly Hindu.

Coffee is predominantly water......and America is predominantly.....well,
kinda dim. Don't mean **** to a bomb.

Wolfgang
who will bet a shiny new nickel that wiktionary is just SMOKIN' today.
:)

Dave LaCourse
October 24th, 2005, 01:33 AM
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:36:50 -0600, rw
> wrote:

>BTW, Bali is predominantly Hindu.

And Indonesia is predominantly Islamic. Perhaps that's why it's been
hit. There has got to be more appealing spots without the chance of
terrorism being present.

rw
October 24th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Chris Cook wrote:
> There are some cracking Sal****er Fly Fishing Opportunities out there. Your
> best bet would be to find someone locally when you are out there. Very good
> value too - you can even afford a generous tip if you have a good day with
> him - a small gesture will go a long way for someone out there.

Thanks, Chris. I guess I'd better take my 9 weight and some bonefish
flies and Clousers, at least, and hope I run into a local connection.
Since I'm going with the most gregarious person I've ever known, that
would be likely. :-)

Are you from Australia, by any chance? I understand Bali is a popular
place for Aussies.

rw
October 24th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Dave LaCourse wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:36:50 -0600, rw
> > wrote:
>

>>BTW, Bali is predominantly Hindu.
>

> And Indonesia is predominantly Islamic. Perhaps that's why it's been
> hit. There has got to be more appealing spots without the chance of
> terrorism being present.

I'm going there to join one of my best friends and his large family.
It's a postponed honeymoon for Charlie's daughter and son-in-law -- also
very close friends. I had to miss their wedding in Stanley, which is one
of my major regrets of the past year.

There isn't any more appealing spot.

Wolfgang
October 24th, 2005, 02:22 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
m...
> Chris Cook wrote:
>> There are some cracking Sal****er Fly Fishing Opportunities out there.
>> Your
>> best bet would be to find someone locally when you are out there. Very
>> good
>> value too - you can even afford a generous tip if you have a good day
>> with
>> him - a small gesture will go a long way for someone out there.
>
> Thanks, Chris. I guess I'd better take my 9 weight and some bonefish flies
> and Clousers, at least, and hope I run into a local connection. Since I'm
> going with the most gregarious person I've ever known, that would be
> likely. :-)

Um.....gosh.....thanks. I'm sure that you'll understand how surprised I am
(under the circumstances and all) but I really appreciate it. However, I'm
afraid I'm going to be busy just about then. Hey, maybe you could RENT a
friend! :)

Wolfgang

Dave LaCourse
October 24th, 2005, 02:36 AM
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:52:39 -0600, rw
> wrote:

>There isn't any more appealing spot.

I know that. Good luck.

Chris Cook
October 24th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Nope, I from Surrey in the UK. Went to Bali a few years ago and thoroughly
enjoyed it. Fortunately we were there before a lot of the terrorist
activities out there in recent years. It's possibly ruined the place now but
is well worth visiting (assuming that's not a contradiction in terms...)

Chris

"rw" > wrote in message
m...
> Chris Cook wrote:
> > There are some cracking Sal****er Fly Fishing Opportunities out there.
Your
> > best bet would be to find someone locally when you are out there. Very
good
> > value too - you can even afford a generous tip if you have a good day
with
> > him - a small gesture will go a long way for someone out there.
>
> Thanks, Chris. I guess I'd better take my 9 weight and some bonefish
> flies and Clousers, at least, and hope I run into a local connection.
> Since I'm going with the most gregarious person I've ever known, that
> would be likely. :-)
>
> Are you from Australia, by any chance? I understand Bali is a popular
> place for Aussies.
>
> --
> Cut "to the chase" for my email address.

October 24th, 2005, 09:45 PM
You may have already found this:
Page 14 of the Travel Talk section at
http://www.flylife.com.au/forum/default.html has a thread
on Bali, Steve. A 9 wt might be optimistic in some circumstances ;-).
You have to wade through the surfing anecdotes (Bali is a surfing
dest.) to find anything. See Gilo's (15th Jan) and Trevor Martin's
contribs for some idea.

Steve

rw
October 25th, 2005, 01:12 AM
wrote:

> You may have already found this:
> Page 14 of the Travel Talk section at
> http://www.flylife.com.au/forum/default.html has a thread
> on Bali, Steve. A 9 wt might be optimistic in some circumstances ;-).
> You have to wade through the surfing anecdotes (Bali is a surfing
> dest.) to find anything. See Gilo's (15th Jan) and Trevor Martin's
> contribs for some idea.

Thanks, but I'm going to go through the registration rigamorole and give
them my email address. Can you summarize the findings?

rw
October 25th, 2005, 02:10 AM
rw wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> You may have already found this:
>> Page 14 of the Travel Talk section at
>> http://www.flylife.com.au/forum/default.html has a thread
>> on Bali, Steve. A 9 wt might be optimistic in some circumstances ;-).
>> You have to wade through the surfing anecdotes (Bali is a surfing
>> dest.) to find anything. See Gilo's (15th Jan) and Trevor Martin's
>> contribs for some idea.
>

> Thanks, but I'm going to go through the registration rigamorole and give
> them my email address. Can you summarize the findings?

Oops. Meant "not" going to. <insert embarrassed smiley of your choice>

October 25th, 2005, 11:34 PM
>From the messages:
Look at hiring boat and 'ghillie' to get beyond beach break.
Not a lot of beach fishing due to break size.
Low tide may be an option from beach (locals use cast nets then - if
you can find access the deeper channels, drains etc. who knows ... 9wt
minimum).
Boats and local guides are cheap apparently.

Beyond break be ready for sharks -wire tippett, fast sinking line and
12wt.
Advice from a charter guy in Bali was that the flyrodders tend to get
"busted up " and revert to conventional tackle. (He may have been
biassed not being a flyflicker)

Have a good trip,

Steve

Bishfish
October 27th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Current advise from both Australian and NZ Govts is a very strong warning
not to go to Bali, especially after the recent bombing a few weeks ago,
which killed a heap of people and injured a heap more. Bali is a prime
holiday destination for NZ and Oz. The attacks are very much aimed at
tourist hangouts, bars and restartants, and Australians in particular for
being involved in Bush's war in Iraq.

It is a real shame, Bali is fantastic! But most of its economy is based
around tourism which had only just begun to recover from the bombings of two
years ago, now it is down the gurgler again.
Not all of Bali is subjected to surf and the SW fly fishing opportunities
are many and varied.