PDA

View Full Version : The name of a pale blue angling fly?

Flyman
October 24th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Hi

Sorry for this odd question, but does anyone know the name of an angling fly that is pale blue in colour.. containing _ a _ c _ e _ ?

Thanks
Fly

Stan Gula
October 24th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Flyman wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry for this odd question, but does anyone know the name of an
> angling fly that is pale blue in colour.. containing _ a _ c _ e _ ?
>

> Thanks
> Fly

watchet

You're welcome.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Mike Connor
October 24th, 2005, 11:33 PM
"Flyman" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Hi
>
> Sorry for this odd question, but does anyone know the name of an
> angling fly that is pale blue in colour.. containing _ a _ c _ e _ ?
>

> Thanks
> Fly
>

> --
> Flyman

Watchet. An old north country wet fly.

TL
MC

October 24th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Watchet

Steve

W. D. Grey
October 27th, 2005, 07:52 PM
In article >, Mike Connor
> writes
>
>"Flyman" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Sorry for this odd question, but does anyone know the name of an
>> angling fly that is pale blue in colour.. containing _ a _ c _ e _ ?
>>

>> Thanks
>> Fly
>>

>> --
>> Flyman
>
>Watchet. An old north country wet fly.
>
>TL
>MC

As Mike says, in the UK this is an old Northern standard pattern serving
as a representation of the Iron Blue dun. A hackled fly always fished
wet.

the Dark Watchet is alsoe know by other names viz.

Iron Blue Dun
Little Iron Blue
Little Water-hen (when wings are needed the breast feather of the water
hen are used)
Little dark Dun

I used to use Andalusian cock haclkes for whisks and hackle

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Wayne Harrison
October 27th, 2005, 09:43 PM
"W. D. Grey" > wrote

> As Mike says, in the UK this is an old Northern standard pattern serving
> as a representation of the Iron Blue dun. A hackled fly always fished wet.
>
> the Dark Watchet is alsoe know by other names viz.
>
> Iron Blue Dun
> Little Iron Blue
> Little Water-hen (when wings are needed the breast feather of the water
> hen are used)
> Little dark Dun

and, as any welshman worth his salt would know, is called, formally,
*paraleptophlebia adoptiva*. ;)

yfitons
wayno(surprisingly, they are seen in numbers on big snowbird in late march,
early april.)

W. D. Grey
October 27th, 2005, 10:40 PM
In article >, Wayne
Harrison > writes

>"W. D. Grey" > wrote
>
>> As Mike says, in the UK this is an old Northern standard pattern serving
>> as a representation of the Iron Blue dun. A hackled fly always fished wet.
>>
>> the Dark Watchet is alsoe know by other names viz.
>>
>> Iron Blue Dun
>> Little Iron Blue
>> Little Water-hen (when wings are needed the breast feather of the water
>> hen are used)
>> Little dark Dun
>
> and, as any welshman worth his salt would know, is called, formally,
>*paraleptophlebia adoptiva*. ;)

Exactly ?????.....:-)

--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Mike Connor
October 27th, 2005, 11:21 PM
"Wayne Harrison" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. com...

> "W. D. Grey" > wrote
>
>> As Mike says, in the UK this is an old Northern standard pattern serving
>> as a representation of the Iron Blue dun. A hackled fly always fished
>> wet.
>>
>> the Dark Watchet is alsoe know by other names viz.
>>
>> Iron Blue Dun
>> Little Iron Blue
>> Little Water-hen (when wings are needed the breast feather of the water
>> hen are used)
>> Little dark Dun
>
> and, as any welshman worth his salt would know, is called, formally,
> *paraleptophlebia adoptiva*. ;)
>
> yfitons
> wayno(surprisingly, they are seen in numbers on big snowbird in late
> march, early april.)

Nope! Not even in Welsh,

That would be;

http://www.troutnut.com/naturals/mayflies/paraleptophlebia/index.php

What we mean is;

http://www.first-nature.com/insects/ephemeroptera/ephemerella_ignita.htm

TL
MC

Sandy Birrell
October 28th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Mike Connor wrote:
> "Wayne Harrison" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> . com...
>>
>> "W. D. Grey" > wrote
>>
>>> As Mike says, in the UK this is an old Northern standard pattern
>>> serving as a representation of the Iron Blue dun. A hackled fly
>>> always fished wet.
>>>
>>> the Dark Watchet is alsoe know by other names viz.
>>>
>>> Iron Blue Dun
>>> Little Iron Blue
>>> Little Water-hen (when wings are needed the breast feather of the
>>> water hen are used)
>>> Little dark Dun
>>
>> and, as any welshman worth his salt would know, is called,
>> formally, *paraleptophlebia adoptiva*. ;)
>>
>> yfitons
>> wayno(surprisingly, they are seen in numbers on big snowbird in
>> late march, early april.)
>>

> Nope! Not even in Welsh,
>
> That would be;
>
> http://www.troutnut.com/naturals/mayflies/paraleptophlebia/index.php
>
> What we mean is;
>
> http://www.first-nature.com/insects/ephemeroptera/ephemerella_ignita.htm
>
> TL
> MC

Don't you mean this one Mike? :)

http://www.first-nature.com/insects/ephemeroptera/baetis_muticus.htm

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

Mike Connor
October 28th, 2005, 02:42 PM
"Sandy Birrell" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.uk...
> Don't you mean this one Mike? :)
>
> http://www.first-nature.com/insects/ephemeroptera/baetis_muticus.htm

You īre right Sandy. Confused myself there! I am sitting tying up some blue
quills! Although the Watchet will in fact work well enough for either
actually!

TL
MC

Nogood Boyo
October 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 at 20:43:15 in rec.outdoors.fishing.fly Wayne
Harrison wrote:

>"W. D. Grey" > wrote
>
>> As Mike says, in the UK this is an old Northern standard pattern serving
>> as a representation of the Iron Blue dun. A hackled fly always fished wet.
>>
>> the Dark Watchet is alsoe know by other names viz.
>>
>> Iron Blue Dun
>> Little Iron Blue
>> Little Water-hen (when wings are needed the breast feather of the water
>> hen are used)
>> Little dark Dun
>
> and, as any welshman worth his salt would know, is called, formally,
>*paraleptophlebia adoptiva*. ;)
>
>yfitons
>wayno(surprisingly, they are seen in numbers on big snowbird in late march,
>early april.)

Dear Wayne

That might well be the species that you call Iron Blue Dun but the
species that we in Wales know as Iron Blue Dun is Baetis Muticus...

http://www.fishing-in-wales.com/advice/flylife.htm

Although in other parts of the UK I think the name also applies to
Baetis Niger, Baetis Pumilus and Baetis Digitatus.

Just to complicate matters I think some of these have been re-named in
recent years and the following are also now in use: Nigrobaetis Niger,
Nigrobaetis Digitatus and Alainites Muticus...

How big is your species..? Ours is small - about 7mm..

--
Nogood Boyo

Wayne Harrison
October 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
"Nogood Boyo" > wrote

> Dear Wayne
>
> That might well be the species that you call Iron Blue Dun but the species
> that we in Wales know as Iron Blue Dun is Baetis Muticus...

> How big is your species..? Ours is small - about 7mm..

while i don't know nothin' 'bout no mms', i use a size 16 to imitate our
"blue dun". that would seem to make ours larger, right?

yfitons
wayno

W. D. Grey
October 28th, 2005, 11:07 PM
In article >, Wayne
Harrison > writes

>"Nogood Boyo" > wrote
>
>> Dear Wayne
>>
>> That might well be the species that you call Iron Blue Dun but the species
>> that we in Wales know as Iron Blue Dun is Baetis Muticus...
>

>> How big is your species..? Ours is small - about 7mm..
>

> while i don't know nothin' 'bout no mms', i use a size 16 to imitate our
>"blue dun". that would seem to make ours larger, right?
>
>yfitons
>wayno

I used to tie our Blue Dun or iron Blue dun on a size 14 or 16 so maybe
they're the same size in spite of our language difference

yofinsw.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Wayne Harrison
October 29th, 2005, 12:31 AM
"W. D. Grey" > wrote

> yofinsw.

up the 24th foot! (south wales borderers)

yfitons
wayno (proud to note that my great great grandfather shot his toe off near
the end of the war between the states, just to come home to rowan county.)

W. D. Grey
October 29th, 2005, 06:55 PM
In article >, Wayne Harrison
> writes
>yfitons
>wayno (proud to note that my great great grandfather shot his toe off near
>the end of the war between the states, just to come home to rowan county.)

How proud would you be if he'd shot his bloody foot off?..:-)

yofisw
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk