PDA

View Full Version : Rod turner motor

Lionel F. Stevenson
October 25th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I've been looking for a rotisserie motor to make a rod turner.
Got a suggestion this AM. Use an electric can opener motor.

-- Lionel
The more I see of people, the better I like fish.

Frank Reid
October 25th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Go to Home Depot. They sell rotisserie motors for under $20.

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

BJ Conner
October 25th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Lionel F. Stevenson wrote:
> I've been looking for a rotisserie motor to make a rod turner.
> Got a suggestion this AM. Use an electric can opener motor.
>

> -- Lionel
> The more I see of people, the better I like fish.

If you look in the washing machine on your front poorch there is a
synchronous timing motor in it. They turn about 3 RPM and work great
for turning rods. That is for drying the varnish.There not strong
enough for winding thread ( which you don't need anyway).
They look like:
http://www.hansen-motor.com/synchindex.html

October 25th, 2005, 11:58 PM
What's in the shed Lionel?

Microwave ovens have a useful little motor ... mains power though.

A friend powers a windscreen wiper motor mounted on a timber frame
with an old 12v dc plugpak.
(Some series resistance may be required to limit RPMs - we used,
keeping the car theme,
a 12v 5w tail light)

Steve (why can't you find a good rheostat when you need one?)

Lionel F. Stevenson
October 26th, 2005, 12:58 PM
in article . com, BJ Conner
at wrote on 10/25/05 7:26 PM:

> Lionel F. Stevenson wrote:
>> I've been looking for a rotisserie motor to make a rod turner.
>> Got a suggestion this AM. Use an electric can opener motor.
>>

>> -- Lionel
>> The more I see of people, the better I like fish.
>
> If you look in the washing machine on your front poorch there is a
> synchronous timing motor in it. They turn about 3 RPM and work great
> for turning rods. That is for drying the varnish.There not strong
> enough for winding thread ( which you don't need anyway).
> They look like:
> http://www.hansen-motor.com/synchindex.html

Now, how did you know I have a washer on my front porch? How did you know I
HAVE a front porch?
:-b
-- Lionel
The more I see of people, the better I like fish.

BJ Conner
October 26th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Lionel F. Stevenson wrote:
> in article . com, BJ Conner
> at wrote on 10/25/05 7:26 PM:
>

> > Lionel F. Stevenson wrote:
> >> I've been looking for a rotisserie motor to make a rod turner.
> >> Got a suggestion this AM. Use an electric can opener motor.
> >>

> >> -- Lionel
> >> The more I see of people, the better I like fish.
> >
> > If you look in the washing machine on your front poorch there is a
> > synchronous timing motor in it. They turn about 3 RPM and work great
> > for turning rods. That is for drying the varnish.There not strong
> > enough for winding thread ( which you don't need anyway).
> > They look like:
> > http://www.hansen-motor.com/synchindex.html

One of the coolest rod turners I have seen or heard of used water. A
friend used a circle of ethafoam with two plastic plates stapled to
each side. In between were small plastic cups the kind they give you
for medicine. There was a hole in the center of the ethafoam for the
rod handle.
For "bearings" he started out using some ice cube trays and scotch 33
tape around the rod shaft. He had a kitchen sink with a faucet high
enough to let the water drip into the cups and slowly turn the thing.
I have always wanted to make one just to test the stability of the
domestic tranquillity. It should be possible here in Oregon to use the
rain to run one. It doesn't get cold enough to kill all the bugs so the
guide finishings could have some interesting decorations.
> Now, how did you know I have a washer on my front porch? How did you know I
> HAVE a front porch?
> :-b
> -- Lionel
> The more I see of people, the better I like fish.

Wayne Knight
October 26th, 2005, 04:39 PM
wrote:

> Steve (why can't you find a good rheostat when you need one?)

http://www.electronicsurplus.com/dictionary/cat1749.htm

rw
October 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM
BJ Conner wrote:

> One of the coolest rod turners I have seen or heard of used water. A
> friend used a circle of ethafoam with two plastic plates stapled to
> each side. In between were small plastic cups the kind they give you
> for medicine. There was a hole in the center of the ethafoam for the
> rod handle.
> For "bearings" he started out using some ice cube trays and scotch 33
> tape around the rod shaft. He had a kitchen sink with a faucet high
> enough to let the water drip into the cups and slowly turn the thing.
> I have always wanted to make one just to test the stability of the
> domestic tranquillity. It should be possible here in Oregon to use the
> rain to run one. It doesn't get cold enough to kill all the bugs so the
> guide finishings could have some interesting decorations.

That is one of the coolest things I've read on ROFF in a long time. It's
the solution to the challenge: Build a rod turner with available
materials for a cost of $0.00.

The essence of the solution is the source of power.

Frank Reid
October 26th, 2005, 05:12 PM
> That is one of the coolest things I've read on ROFF in a long time. It's
> the solution to the challenge: Build a rod turner with available materials
> for a cost of $0.00.
>
> The essence of the solution is the source of power.

Steal your neighbor's washer off his front porch?
By the way, those washer timer motors are the component of choice for IED
(improvise explosive devices) timers in Iraq. Start buying 'em up and you
gonna have the FBI and BATF doing a Ruby Ridge on your butt.

--
Frank Reid
(who always knew that the Maytag repairman looked kinda shifty)

October 26th, 2005, 08:35 PM
;-)

Steve

BJ Conner
October 26th, 2005, 09:08 PM
wrote:
> What's in the shed Lionel?
>
> Microwave ovens have a useful little motor ... mains power though.
>
> A friend powers a windscreen wiper motor mounted on a timber frame
> with an old 12v dc plugpak.
> (Some series resistance may be required to limit RPMs - we used,
> keeping the car theme,
> a 12v 5w tail light)
>

> Steve (why can't you find a good rheostat when you need one?)

The motors you want look like this one.
http://www.73.com/a/0084.shtml
There in timers for washers and drive the turntable in microwaves.
I would stay away from rheostats unless your going to watch it all the
time. Most house fires have elelctrical origions and a lot of those
involve things like restat controlled rod turners.
There should be a good perpetural motion device for turning a rod, if
we work on it a little...

Larry and a Cat named Dub
October 27th, 2005, 04:37 AM
How about the pto on your farm tractor?
I used a motor out of a pop corn machine for mine
"Lionel F. Stevenson" > wrote in message
> I've been looking for a rotisserie motor to make a rod turner.
> Got a suggestion this AM. Use an electric can opener motor.
>

> -- Lionel
> The more I see of people, the better I like fish.

Lionel F. Stevenson
October 27th, 2005, 02:11 PM
I'm rethinking the rod building thing.

Here's how it goes:
So, I'm planning on building 2 rods, a 4wt and a 6wt.
(Any comments on these is welcome) I fish trout; should I consider a 3wt.?

So, I dick around and build a rod dryer for $20 plus some lumber.

The rods turn out OK. better rods, more enjoyment.

I get more into fishing (I'm a novice, and don't see myself fishing
somewhere for $3000/week). In other words, small time.

Next year, I decide to build a salmon rod. I'm 5 hours from the Margaree
River.

I may fish for the rest of my life, so if I spend $100 on a rod building
kit, it'll make my rod building career easier and better.
Spread out over 4 or 5 rods, it's not a lot of money.

Sometimes doing things on the cheap is not the answer.

-- Lionel
The more I see of people, the better I like fish.

FlyTrap
October 27th, 2005, 03:17 PM
"Larry and a Cat named Dub" > wrote in message
. ..
> How about the pto on your farm tractor?
> I used a motor out of a pop corn machine for mine
> "Lionel F. Stevenson" > wrote in message
>> I've been looking for a rotisserie motor to make a rod turner.
>> Got a suggestion this AM. Use an electric can opener motor.

Try an electric clock motor.
Bonus: Lots'a gears to play with.
Sneak into Joanne's Fabric or Michael's Crafts for wooden wheels to complete
the drive.

Cheers
-Bob

Mike Connor
October 27th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Well if you want to go expensive;

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0032766.jsp

TL
MC

JR
October 27th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Lionel F. Stevenson wrote:
> I'm rethinking the rod building thing.
>
> Here's how it goes:
> .... etc.

Funny country, where folks put WAAAAAAAY more thought, time and effort
into planning how to start the process of beginning to make a few
purchases in order to eventually maybe build a fly rod than others put
into filling a Supreme Court vacancy.....

:)

JR

BJ Conner
October 27th, 2005, 07:20 PM
FlyTrap wrote:
> "Larry and a Cat named Dub" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > How about the pto on your farm tractor?
> > I used a motor out of a pop corn machine for mine
> > "Lionel F. Stevenson" > wrote in message
> >> I've been looking for a rotisserie motor to make a rod turner.
> >> Got a suggestion this AM. Use an electric can opener motor.
>
> Try an electric clock motor.
> Bonus: Lots'a gears to play with.
> Sneak into Joanne's Fabric or Michael's Crafts for wooden wheels to complete
> the drive.
>
> Cheers
> -Bob

I did that using a digital clock. All the guide wrappings had big
asymetrical blobs of varnish on them.

BJ Conner
October 27th, 2005, 07:21 PM
FlyTrap wrote:
> "Larry and a Cat named Dub" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > How about the pto on your farm tractor?
> > I used a motor out of a pop corn machine for mine
> > "Lionel F. Stevenson" > wrote in message
> >> I've been looking for a rotisserie motor to make a rod turner.
> >> Got a suggestion this AM. Use an electric can opener motor.
>
> Try an electric clock motor.
> Bonus: Lots'a gears to play with.
> Sneak into Joanne's Fabric or Michael's Crafts for wooden wheels to complete
> the drive.
>
> Cheers
> -Bob

I did that using a digital clock. All the guide wrappings had big
asymetrical blobs of varnish on them.

Tim J.
October 27th, 2005, 08:30 PM
JR typed:
> Lionel F. Stevenson wrote:
>> I'm rethinking the rod building thing.
>>
>> Here's how it goes:
>> .... etc.
>
> Funny country, where folks put WAAAAAAAY more thought, time and effort
> into planning how to start the process of beginning to make a few
> purchases in order to eventually maybe build a fly rod than others put
> into filling a Supreme Court vacancy.....

I agree. What a freakin' waste of time and energy.
--
TL,
Tim

Wayne Harrison
October 27th, 2005, 09:36 PM
"JR" > wrote

> Funny country, where folks put WAAAAAAAY more thought, time and effort
> into planning how to start the process of beginning to make a few
> purchases in order to eventually maybe build a fly rod than others put
> into filling a Supreme Court vacancy.....

damndest thing... i got a call from white house counsel this morning,
advising me that my miers number was 2,139.

yfitons
wayno (and i'm not even a registered republican!)

JR
October 27th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Wayne Harrison wrote:

> damndest thing... i got a call from white house counsel this morning,
> advising me that my miers number was 2,139.
>
> yfitons
> wayno (and i'm not even a registered republican!)

Well, she probably listed you as a character reference. <g>

Scott Seidman
October 27th, 2005, 10:31 PM
JR > wrote in :

> Well, she probably listed you as a character reference. <g>

You can't tell me that Wayno *changed* her!!

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

BJ Conner
October 27th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Wayne Harrison wrote:
> "JR" > wrote
>
> > Funny country, where folks put WAAAAAAAY more thought, time and effort
> > into planning how to start the process of beginning to make a few
> > purchases in order to eventually maybe build a fly rod than others put
> > into filling a Supreme Court vacancy.....
>
> damndest thing... i got a call from white house counsel this morning,
> advising me that my miers number was 2,139.
>
> yfitons
> wayno (and i'm not even a registered republican!)

I have written to Senator Smith from Oregon and ask him to get your
name on the list. I am not a republican but I may have a little pull
as he's Mormon and I'm registered as a Prohabitionsist. I think you
would do a hella of a job.

Wayne Harrison
October 28th, 2005, 03:13 AM
"Scott Seidman" > wrote

> You can't tell me that Wayno *changed* her!!

well, if she cuts those skirts up another six inches, and puts a bag
over her head.... **** happens....

yfitons
wayno

Wayne Harrison
October 28th, 2005, 04:06 PM
"BJ Conner" > wrote

> I have written to Senator Smith from Oregon and ask him to get your
> name on the list. I am not a republican but I may have a little pull
> as he's Mormon and I'm registered as a Prohabitionsist. I think you
> would do a hella of a job.

thanks a hella of a lot for the support, beej, but i am afraid that
after my late night performance with acoustic guitar around the campfire at
the montana clave, where a group of mormon cheerleaders threatened to call
the cops if i didn't shut down, my mormon fan base might be a little
cramped.
:)

yfitons
wayno(you tight with diane feinstein?)

BJ Conner
October 28th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Wayne Harrison wrote:
> "BJ Conner" > wrote
>
> > I have written to Senator Smith from Oregon and ask him to get your
> > name on the list. I am not a republican but I may have a little pull
> > as he's Mormon and I'm registered as a Prohabitionsist. I think you
> > would do a hella of a job.
>
> thanks a hella of a lot for the support, beej, but i am afraid that
> after my late night performance with acoustic guitar around the campfire at
> the montana clave, where a group of mormon cheerleaders threatened to call
> the cops if i didn't shut down, my mormon fan base might be a little
> cramped.
> :)
>
> yfitons
> wayno(you tight with diane feinstein?)

The "hell of a job" was not meant to compair you to the former FEMA
director. I will call Diane as well to get your name under
consieration. I don't think Shub acknowledges her existance so it's
probably useless. How close to DC are you? Would you be willing to
work part time on her staff??

October 28th, 2005, 04:28 PM
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 02:13:38 GMT, "Wayne Harrison" >
wrote:

>"Scott Seidman" > wrote
>
>> You can't tell me that Wayno *changed* her!!
>

> well, if she cuts those skirts up another six inches, and puts a bag
>over her head....

>...**** happens....

Well, whaddya know? I had no idea you were Greek...

ITYWIMIYBTNR,