PDA

View Full Version : Re: The end of the line.

Wolfgang
October 26th, 2005, 11:28 AM
"Daniel-San" > wrote in message

> ...I think people should find the whole story before deciding on
> something.
> Seems simple to me.

Whole stories invariably get tedious long before you get to the end. You
could, for example, spend more time reading about Mark Twain's life than it
took him to live it......and then you'd just be hitting the high notes.
Meanwhile, Huck Finn can be both entertaining and enlightening without
reference to whatever effect Twain's bowel movements had on his
Weltanschauung and thus his writing.

Reading to small children, one quickly learns (or one WILL hear about it!)
to skip to the good parts on demand. Not an ideal model upon which to hang
a lifetime's enquiry into the deeper mysteries, perhaps, but they sleep the
blessed sleep of the innocent.......and an occasional good night's sleep
probably wouldn't do anyone much harm.

> Why decide an opinion based on half truths?

If you've discovered a retail outlet for whole truths, you have our complete
attention.

> To each his own, I guess.

Even to those who would misconstrue what you say and think you a racist?

Anyway, you've gotten a sample of the wages for the indiscriminate
dispensation of truth in this thread. Does it look like a good career move?
:)

Wolfgang

vincent p. norris
October 27th, 2005, 01:17 AM
>........Weltanschauung .........

Holy Wilhelm Dilthey! Never though I see THAT word on this newsgroup!

vince

Daniel-San
October 27th, 2005, 05:15 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

| "Daniel-San" > wrote in message
| >
| > ...I think people should find the whole story before deciding on
| > something.
| > Seems simple to me.
|
| Whole stories invariably get tedious long before you get to the end.

Yes, sometimes that is true, but it does not make them less valid. Or, IMO
less important.

You
| could, for example, spend more time reading about Mark Twain's life than
it
| took him to live it......and then you'd just be hitting the high notes.
| Meanwhile, Huck Finn can be both entertaining and enlightening

But should history be entertainment? Me thinks not.

without
| reference to whatever effect Twain's bowel movements had on his
| Weltanschauung and thus his writing.

Absolutely. But, whether his bowel habits affected his world-view may be
valid. I doubt it, but as someone who deals with the oh-so-****ing-joyful
Crohn's disease, I can tell you bowel habits can certainly affect a world
view. Or at least a view of toilet paper.

| Reading to small children, one quickly learns (or one WILL hear about it!)
| to skip to the good parts on demand. Not an ideal model upon which to hang
| a lifetime's enquiry into the deeper mysteries, perhaps, but they sleep
the
| blessed sleep of the innocent.......and an occasional good night's sleep
| probably wouldn't do anyone much harm.

And when children try to one-up one another with did not - did too, it's
usually the whole truth that comes out.

But, point taken. When it comes to the innocence of children.

| > Why decide an opinion based on half truths?
|
| If you've discovered a retail outlet for whole truths, you have our
complete
| attention.

You probably have one -- called a library. Not really even 'retail', unless
you're figuring property taxes in.

But again, point taken.

| > To each his own, I guess.
|
| Even to those who would misconstrue what you say and think you a racist?

Yep. Even the wrong are entitled to their opinion. They are also entitled to
being proven wrong.

| Anyway, you've gotten a sample of the wages for the indiscriminate
| dispensation of truth in this thread. Does it look like a good career
move?
| :)

Dunno. As stated before, poor timing. Perhaps a thread discussing Rosa Parks
a year ago would have drawn a less heated discussion. Especially since
'heated' was the last thing I sought.

| Wolfgang

Dan
Who, though leaving for a fishing trip tomorrow at the ACOD, and therefore
unable to reply until Sunday eve at the earliest, still notes a conspicuous
omission of commentary about, or rebuttal to, his earlier comments regarding
smoking and pyrrhic victories. :-)
PS..
Now that the goddamned White Sux have just won, I have to spend a long
weekend with my White Sux fan best friend. I think I'd rather wade in this
cesspool than listen to his ranting. ****ing Astros.Win a goddamned game,
would you. Prolong your inevitable death.At least until we're away from TV
and radio reception. His ass-backward political views I can deal with, but
the ****ing White Sux. **** them.

Yeah, I know -- they played unbelievably well -- but I still hate them.