PDA

View Full Version : Lies and exaggerations

riverman
October 27th, 2005, 09:12 AM
In the same spirit as the ubiquitous message "Yours FREE; just send
$5.95 to....." I just found this gem:

http://www.northwestcanoe.com/store/shipping.html

Read the first line, then scroll down to "International Shipping
Restrictions"

Hmph.

--riverman

Mike Connor
October 27th, 2005, 09:19 AM
"riverman" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
> In the same spirit as the ubiquitous message "Yours FREE; just send
> $5.95 to....." I just found this gem:
>
> http://www.northwestcanoe.com/store/shipping.html
>
> Read the first line, then scroll down to "International Shipping
> Restrictions"
>
> Hmph.
>
> --riverman

Always best to paddle your own canoe!

TL
MC

riverman
October 27th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Mike Connor wrote:
> "riverman" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> ups.com...
> > In the same spirit as the ubiquitous message "Yours FREE; just send
> > $5.95 to....." I just found this gem:
> >
> > http://www.northwestcanoe.com/store/shipping.html
> >
> > Read the first line, then scroll down to "International Shipping
> > Restrictions"
> >
> > Hmph.
> >
> > --riverman
> >

> Always best to paddle your own canoe!

Yup. That's what I'm working on.

--riverman

asadi
October 27th, 2005, 12:03 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> In the same spirit as the ubiquitous message "Yours FREE; just send
> $5.95 to....." I just found this gem:

> --riverman

At the Montana clave, while having dinner with Wayno and few others, I asked
for a glass of cheap whiskey - whatever's in the well - is a phrase I might
have used. Apparently the local dialect was different than mine, so to make
things easier I said just bring me a glass of 'Jim Beam.' This blew Wayno's
brain in a search for the proper word to me that Jim Beam and cheap whiskey
are one and the same....yet it says right there on the label - 'World's
Finest. . . '

Just last week, I went to a Gentleman's club...and they let 'me' in.

.. . . there is no truth in advertising...

john

Wolfgang
October 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM
"asadi" > wrote in message
m...

> ...Just last week, I went to a Gentleman's club...and they let 'me' in.
>
> . . . there is no truth in advertising...

Having failed to be denied entry to several such establishments myself, lo
these many years ago, I had always assumed that the sobriquet "gentlemen's
club" must refer not so much to the clientele as the ownership.

Wolfgang
who, admittedly......um....perceptually impaired....at the time, continues
to hope to this day that it wasn't the performers. :(

Scott Seidman
October 27th, 2005, 01:33 PM
"riverman" > wrote in news:1130400765.462657.74740
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> In the same spirit as the ubiquitous message "Yours FREE; just send
> $5.95 to....." I just found this gem:
>
> http://www.northwestcanoe.com/store/shipping.html
>
> Read the first line, then scroll down to "International Shipping
> Restrictions"
>
> Hmph.
>
> --riverman

I don't understand what's wrong with this. Am I missing something?

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Charlie Choc
October 27th, 2005, 01:36 PM
On 27 Oct 2005 01:12:45 -0700, "riverman" > wrote:

>In the same spirit as the ubiquitous message "Yours FREE; just send
>$5.95 to....." I just found this gem:
>
>http://www.northwestcanoe.com/store/shipping.html
>
>Read the first line, then scroll down to "International Shipping
>Restrictions"
>
>Hmph.

So the canoe you want is 'electronic'? Fancy.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Mike Connor
October 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM
"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Charlie...
> http://www.chocphoto.com

Nice photos Charlie!

Hope you are doing well.

TL
MC

Charlie Choc
October 27th, 2005, 03:43 PM
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:15:06 +0200, "Mike Connor" >
wrote:

>"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
><SNIP>
>> Charlie...
>> http://www.chocphoto.com
>
>Nice photos Charlie!
>
>Hope you are doing well.

Thanks Mike, I am doing well as I hope you are. I guess the clave in Ireland is
on hold for now? <g>
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Mike Connor
October 27th, 2005, 03:54 PM
"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Thanks Mike, I am doing well as I hope you are. I guess the clave in
> Ireland is
> on hold for now? <g>
> --
> Charlie...
> http://www.chocphoto.com

Postponed indefinitely I fear. Such is life!

TL
MC

BJ Conner
October 27th, 2005, 05:01 PM
riverman wrote:
> In the same spirit as the ubiquitous message "Yours FREE; just send
> $5.95 to....." I just found this gem:
>
> http://www.northwestcanoe.com/store/shipping.html
>
> Read the first line, then scroll down to "International Shipping
> Restrictions"
>
> Hmph.
>
> --riverman
If your looking for a boat try this. They have a dealer in Hong Kong.
As for an investment we kept ours 20 years and sold it for 50% more
than the original price.
http://www.klepper.de/

Sarge
October 28th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Scott Seidman wrote: "I don't understand what's wrong with this. Am I
missing something?"

I am with you especially if you read exactly what it says.
Virtually------ Almost but not quite; nearly
shipping restrictions and customs laws----tariffs, items not allowed by law
and etc.

Sarge

riverman
October 28th, 2005, 10:25 AM
BJ Conner wrote:
> riverman wrote:
> > In the same spirit as the ubiquitous message "Yours FREE; just send
> > $5.95 to....." I just found this gem:
> >
> > http://www.northwestcanoe.com/store/shipping.html
> >
> > Read the first line, then scroll down to "International Shipping
> > Restrictions"
> >
> > Hmph.
> >
> > --riverman
> If your looking for a boat try this. They have a dealer in Hong Kong.
> As for an investment we kept ours 20 years and sold it for 50% more
> than the original price.
> http://www.klepper.de/

Actually, I already have a new Folboat Aleut. Someone on another
newsgroup sent it to me for free (in the actual sense) in exchange for
the enjoyment of reading my 'Life in Congo' series!

Its back in the US for now, to be brought out here this summer when I
return from summer break. But my heart also craves a canoe, so I'm
hoping to buy one of those. I'm just in the preliminary phase now,
looking to find out what shipping costs are.

--riverman

B J Conner
October 29th, 2005, 05:21 AM
"riverman" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> BJ Conner wrote:
> > riverman wrote:
> > > In the same spirit as the ubiquitous message "Yours FREE; just send
> > > $5.95 to....." I just found this gem:
> > >
> > > http://www.northwestcanoe.com/store/shipping.html
> > >
> > > Read the first line, then scroll down to "International Shipping
> > > Restrictions"
> > >
> > > Hmph.
> > >
> > > --riverman
> > If your looking for a boat try this. They have a dealer in Hong Kong.
> > As for an investment we kept ours 20 years and sold it for 50% more
> > than the original price.
> > http://www.klepper.de/
>
> Actually, I already have a new Folboat Aleut. Someone on another
> newsgroup sent it to me for free (in the actual sense) in exchange for
> the enjoyment of reading my 'Life in Congo' series!
>
> Its back in the US for now, to be brought out here this summer when I
> return from summer break. But my heart also craves a canoe, so I'm
> hoping to buy one of those. I'm just in the preliminary phase now,
> looking to find out what shipping costs are.
>
> --riverman

Compairing a Folboat to a Klepper to is like comaparing a Trabant to a 500
SL.

riverman
October 29th, 2005, 11:02 AM
According to this site
<http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000490.php>, its like comparing a
Ford to a BMW.

Truth be told, however, I'm happier accepting a Ford as a gift of
appreciation, rather than buying myself a BMW.
:-)

--riverman
(and this is one very lovely Ford)