PDA

View Full Version : OT. War?

Mike Connor
October 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM

October 29th, 2005, 09:53 PM

> to join the cause, enter the fray,
> like many men who fight and think,
> he realised that some things stink.
>
> Rowan county called him home,
> to settle down, no more to roam,
> at last he knew the nature of his foe,
> took aim, and fired, and shot his toe!

Nicely done !!

There was a moment during the first half of the Illini
game today when the score flashed on our big new, fancy-
shmancy, electronic, video, all the bells and whistles
scoreboard read UNC 7 - UMiami 0. I gave a little (very
little) rebel whoop. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Harrison
October 29th, 2005, 09:55 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message
> Wayno´s forebear went to fight,
> for what he thought was good and right,
> left family and friends behind,
> to save the world he was inclined.

great great grandaddy jenkins would be quite pleased to be remembered
with such kindness by a fellow brit, lo these one hundred and forty years
later.
he was from cornwall, iirc--or his father was. they came to supply
labor for the gold and copper mines that had been opened in the 1830's in
rowan (specifically, gold hill, north carolina) county. all were
experienced miners, for coal, i reckon.

yfitons
wayno

yfitons
wayno

Wayne Harrison
October 29th, 2005, 10:01 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote

> There was a moment during the first half of the Illini
> game today when the score flashed on our big new, fancy-
> shmancy, electronic, video, all the bells and whistles
> scoreboard read UNC 7 - UMiami 0. I gave a little (very
> little) rebel whoop. ;-)

3rd quarter: unc 16- #6 miami 7. final score: unc 16- miami 34.

the mighty tar heels blow another one.

yfitons
wayno

Mike Connor
October 29th, 2005, 10:27 PM
"Wayne Harrison" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
<SNIP>
> great great grandaddy jenkins would be quite pleased to be remembered
> with such kindness by a fellow brit, lo these one hundred and forty years
> later.
> he was from cornwall, iirc--or his father was. they came to supply
> labor for the gold and copper mines that had been opened in the 1830's in
> rowan (specifically, gold hill, north carolina) county. all were
> experienced miners, for coal, i reckon.
>
> yfitons
> wayno

More likely a copper miner. This may be of interest;

http://www.geocities.com/teammanley/southcaradon/SouthCaradonHistory.html

http://www.marjon.ac.uk/cornish-history/conf2002symons/

http://www.cornish-mining.org.uk/mintech.htm

TL
MC

Mike Connor
October 29th, 2005, 10:39 PM
You might even find your ancestor here;

"Jenkins of Gold Hill, Rowan Co - emigrated from Cornwall 1840s "

http://resources.rootsweb.com/USA/NC/Rowan/

TL
MC

Jeff Miller
October 29th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Wayne Harrison wrote:

> 3rd quarter: unc 16- #6 miami 7. final score: unc 16- miami 34.
>
> the mighty tar heels blow another one.
>
> yfitons
> wayno

hardly a blow job...but they were cute for a while, weren't they? <g>

Wolfgang
October 30th, 2005, 12:02 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Mike Connor" > wrote in message
>> Wayno´s forebear went to fight,
>> for what he thought was good and right,
>> left family and friends behind,
>> to save the world he was inclined.
>
> great great grandaddy jenkins would be quite pleased to be remembered
> with such kindness by a fellow brit, lo these one hundred and forty years
> later.
> he was from cornwall, iirc--or his father was. they came to supply
> labor for the gold and copper mines that had been opened in the 1830's in
> rowan (specifically, gold hill, north carolina) county. all were
> experienced miners, for coal, i reckon.

Mmmmmm......pasties!

Wolfgang
god bless cornish miners......wherever they may have roamed.

GaryM
October 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in news:ZkR8f.433$0D4.75395
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

> all were
> experienced miners, for coal, i reckon.

Wayne,

In Cornwall there were tin mines, so I'd guess that would have been
their occupation. Cornwell (and Devon) is a gorgeous part of the UK if
you ever get the chance to visit. The Dart is top quality trout stream
in the area, to name but one.

Gary

riverman
October 30th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Getting a beat on the Dart takes an act of God, though. Access is
tough, and the owners don't like to share. I tried while I was in
Plymouth, but ended up fishing the Plym more than any other stream
there.

However, I did do some non-fishing horsing around (swimming and hiking)
on the Dart up in Dartmoor, and there were scads of little trout
around....almost all in the 6 inch range. I'm sure there must have been
some lunkers in places, but the weird British access system means that
you can only fish one part of the water, the 'beat' that you have
leased rights to. And if the big hole or nice fishwater is elsewhere,
even just downstream in plain sight, you cant fish it.

I found GB fishing frustrating, at best.

--riverman

GaryM
October 30th, 2005, 01:31 PM
"riverman" > wrote in news:1130677693.077365.79060
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> I found GB fishing frustrating, at best.

It is, but if you are going to be around a while you can join a club. A
friend of mine does that and he has access to 12 miles over five chalk
streams, including the Itchen. As for the Dart, there are hotels down
there will include access access to the river. There still is a decent
amount of free water you can access with your license, see
http://www.dofreefishing.com/index.html.

It is not America, though (cue David Bowie).