PDA

View Full Version : anyone up for a challenge in California?

Mark F.
November 2nd, 2005, 01:36 PM
I was trying to figure out the best way to do this from LA.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/AnglerRecognition/HeritageTroutChallenge/HeritageTroutChallenge_0.htm

--
Hike High Mountains
Fish for Wild Trout

Frank Reid
November 2nd, 2005, 01:49 PM
>I was trying to figure out the best way to do this from LA.
>

> http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/AnglerRecognition/HeritageTroutChallenge/HeritageTroutChallenge_0.htm

I know a place in Rosemeade that will serve them all up as tacos for ya.

Heck, from LA, you've got 3 fairly close (the goldens). Doesn't say you
have to do it in one day.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Tom Nakashima
November 2nd, 2005, 02:16 PM
"Mark F." > wrote in message
>I was trying to figure out the best way to do this from LA.
>

> http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/AnglerRecognition/HeritageTroutChallenge/HeritageTroutChallenge_0.htm
>
> --
> Hike High Mountains
> Fish for Wild Trout

Very interesting.
I think I would like to give it a go since there are no time restrictions,
and I'm all for learning and restoring the native trout in California.
-tom

Larry L
November 2nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
"Mark F." > wrote

>I was trying to figure out the best way to do this from LA.

Yeah, it would be easier if you were based in California <g> ( imo, the
southern border of real-Cal is WELL north of the Grapevine :-)

Sounds cool, I don't know enough about all the species to ID them and
know where to go trying but this could get me interested in fishing in this
state, again. I'll have to investigate further.

I have a friend in F&G
in the far NE part of the state, he has mentioned the redbands and can help
me, I bet, he's the game warden for that area. He keeps inviting me to
come up and get shown around, I just might have to take him up on it. I
know where to catch Lahontan's. The Stanislaus closed 10/31 for the Salmon
run, but I can catch a "coastal rainbow" on 1/1/06 a couple miles from
home.

briansfly
November 2nd, 2005, 10:02 PM
Mark F. wrote:
> I was trying to figure out the best way to do this from LA.
>

> http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/AnglerRecognition/HeritageTroutChallenge/HeritageTroutChallenge_0.htm

The "best way"....I guess, would be to have a private helicopter. ;-)
It's certainly doable. All you need is the free time and gas money. 4-5
of the species are within a day trip(long day)of SoCal. The others all
can be done on a weekend trip to Central/NorCal. It'll just take a bit
of research, and planning on your part.....which, I assume is part of
what the program is about.

brians

Mark F.
November 3rd, 2005, 12:37 AM
I was thinking(uhtho) I already have a rainbow from the East fork of the San
Gabriel river, that counts as one.
I can get the Kern Rainbow, California Golden Trout, Little kern golden
trout all in one backpack trip up the upper kern river next summer.
You don't have to do this in one day, there is NO time limit.
So that leaves two more to get out of the list. The question is how to get
the LAST two trout in ONE trip?
Go to Reno and up the Truckee for the Lahontan and which in the closet
specie from there?

I can see I am going to have a lot of placing to do nest summer!! GRIN

"briansfly" > wrote in message
> Mark F. wrote:
>> I was trying to figure out the best way to do this from LA.
>>

>> http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/AnglerRecognition/HeritageTroutChallenge/HeritageTroutChallenge_0.htm
>
> The "best way"....I guess, would be to have a private helicopter. ;-) It's
> certainly doable. All you need is the free time and gas money. 4-5 of the
> species are within a day trip(long day)of SoCal. The others all can be
> done on a weekend trip to Central/NorCal. It'll just take a bit of
> research, and planning on your part.....which, I assume is part of what
> the program is about.
>
> brians

Bob Patton
November 3rd, 2005, 02:21 AM
"Mark F." > wrote in message
>I was trying to figure out the best way to do this from LA.
>

> http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/AnglerRecognition/HeritageTroutChallenge/HeritageTroutChallenge_0.htm
>
> --
> Hike High Mountains
> Fish for Wild Trout
(re the range of coastal rainbow trout):
. . . From the Oregon border, the native range continues in coastal
streams and coastal waters, north to Alaska and, east to Kamchatka. . . .

EAST to Kamchatka??? That takes in a pretty good bit of geography. Probably
includes those McCloud rainbows that figured out how to get a ride on the
MoPac . . .

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)