PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

Conan The Librarian
November 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM
OK, so it's not a picture, but a scenario. As some of you know,
being Texans, we decided that we should have a year-round trout fishery
even though gawd didn't intend for trout to live here. (Some might say
gawd didn't intend for *people* to live down here, but I digress.)

So we took the Guadalupe River where it flows out of Canyon Lake (a
cold draw-down lake) and stocked it with trout. Not just for
put-and-take fishing, oh no ... we wanted the fish to survive the summers.

First the droughts killed them, then the flood killed them, and
supposedly the fireants even got them. But did we give up? (Did we
give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?) Hell, no! We kept
stocking them, and even went as far as to make a large portion of the
Lower Guadaulupe C&R only.

You can imagine my amusement when I read a call for a striper
fishing tournament on the Guadalupe below Canyon Dam. Best of all, one
of the stated reasons for the tournament is to "benefit the trout".

Chuck Vance (who just hopes they don't decide next that Guadalupe
bass are a nuisance to the poor little thangs)

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 06:44 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>

>? (Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?)

The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour.

TL
MC

Ken Fortenberry
November 3rd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Mike Connor wrote:
> "Conan The Librarian" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <SNIP>
>
>>? (Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?)
>

> The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour.

Forget it, he's rolling.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/quotes

--
Ken Fortenberry

Charlie Choc
November 3rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:44:16 +0100, "Mike Connor" >
wrote:

>"Conan The Librarian" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
><SNIP>
>
>>? (Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?)
>
>The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour.

The "... when the Germans bombed ..." is a line from the movie "Animal House",
FWIW.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Tom Nakashima
November 3rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "Conan The Librarian" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <SNIP>
>
>>? (Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?)
>
> The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour.
>
> TL
> MC

Darn it Mike, thought we had a shot of getting wiped off MacArthur's ****
list.
-tom

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> The "... when the Germans bombed ..." is a line from the movie "Animal
> House",
> FWIW.
> --
> Charlie...
> http://www.chocphoto.com

Well, "Play it again, Sam", is not a line from the movie "Casablanca", but
the Japanese still bombed Pearl Harbour.

TL
MC

Wayne Harrison
November 3rd, 2005, 07:05 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote

....Pearl Harbour.

hilarious. you can take the boy out of britain, but you can't take the
briton out of the boy...

yfitons
wayno(observation made in fun, of course)

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 07:05 PM
"Tom Nakashima" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Darn it Mike, thought we had a shot of getting wiped off MacArthur's ****
> list.
> -tom

Ooops! Sorry Tom.

TL
MC

Conan The Librarian
November 3rd, 2005, 07:07 PM
Mike Connor wrote:

> Well, "Play it again, Sam", is not a line from the movie "Casablanca", but
> the Japanese still bombed Pearl Harbour.

Christ. Seven years of college down the drain.

Chuck Vance

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 07:15 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Mike Connor wrote:
>
>> Well, "Play it again, Sam", is not a line from the movie "Casablanca",
>> but the Japanese still bombed Pearl Harbour.
>
> Christ. Seven years of college down the drain.
>

> Chuck Vance

Nahhh, just first year history! :)

TL
MC

FlyCaughtInTree
November 3rd, 2005, 07:16 PM
So he's got *that* goin' for him. Which is nice.....

Conan The Librarian
November 3rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Mike Connor wrote:

> "Conan The Librarian" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>Mike Connor wrote:
>>
>>>Well, "Play it again, Sam", is not a line from the movie "Casablanca",
>>>but the Japanese still bombed Pearl Harbour.
>>
>> Christ. Seven years of college down the drain.
>
> Nahhh, just first year history! :)

It probably wasn't very nice of me, but I just did it to you again.
That's another line from the movie Animal House. :-)

Sorry, Mike. :-)

Chuck Vance

Charlie Choc
November 3rd, 2005, 07:23 PM
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:02:21 +0100, "Mike Connor" >
wrote:

>"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
><SNIP>
>> The "... when the Germans bombed ..." is a line from the movie "Animal
>> House",
>> FWIW.
>> --
>> Charlie...
>> http://www.chocphoto.com
>
>Well, "Play it again, Sam", is not a line from the movie "Casablanca", but
>the Japanese still bombed Pearl Harbour.

The line in "Animal House" serves to illustrate how dumb the character uttering
it is. The character, BTW, goes on to be a US Senator. <g>
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 07:27 PM
"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> The line in "Animal House" serves to illustrate how dumb the character
> uttering
> it is. The character, BTW, goes on to be a US Senator. <g>
> --
> Charlie...
> http://www.chocphoto.com

Must be president by now?

TL
MC

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 07:32 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> It probably wasn't very nice of me, but I just did it to you again.
> That's another line from the movie Animal House. :-)
>
> Sorry, Mike. :-)
>

> Chuck Vance

Just goes to show, I did not get that in college.

TL
MC

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 07:36 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> It probably wasn't very nice of me, but I just did it to you again.
> That's another line from the movie Animal House. :-)
>
> Sorry, Mike. :-)
>

> Chuck Vance

"Repeat anything often enough, and it becomes the truth. ..."

(Not from a movie)

TL
MC

Charlie Choc
November 3rd, 2005, 07:42 PM
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:27:47 +0100, "Mike Connor" >
wrote:

>"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
><SNIP>
>> The line in "Animal House" serves to illustrate how dumb the character
>> uttering
>> it is. The character, BTW, goes on to be a US Senator. <g>
>> --
>> Charlie...
>> http://www.chocphoto.com
>
>Must be president by now?

Our current president has no real prior governmental experience, so it isn't
him.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Tom Nakashima
November 3rd, 2005, 07:43 PM
"Charlie Choc" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:02:21 +0100, "Mike Connor" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>><SNIP>
>>> The "... when the Germans bombed ..." is a line from the movie "Animal
>>> House",
>>> FWIW.
>>> --
>>> Charlie...
>>> http://www.chocphoto.com
>>
>>Well, "Play it again, Sam", is not a line from the movie "Casablanca", but
>>the Japanese still bombed Pearl Harbour.
>>
> The line in "Animal House" serves to illustrate how dumb the character
> uttering
> it is. The character, BTW, goes on to be a US Senator. <g>
> --
> Charlie...
> http://www.chocphoto.com

That's Senator Blutarsky
http://www.freewebs.com/olemissbetas/Animal-House---John-Belushi-College--C10112414.jpg
-tom

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Our current president has no real prior governmental experience, so it
> isn't
> him.
> --
> Charlie...
> http://www.chocphoto.com

Well no, but he was always dumb.

TL
MC

Conan The Librarian
November 3rd, 2005, 07:59 PM
Mike Connor wrote:

> "Repeat anything often enough, and it becomes the truth. ..."
>
> (Not from a movie)

Jeez, I only put that "Pearl Harbor" line in there as a throwaway
about how dimwitted some folks are to think that it's a good idea to
stock trout in a warmwater fishery.

Honestly. No offense intended to Germans, Japanese, Iraqis,
Iranians, Scots, Irish, Russians, Mexicans, Italians, Serbs, Croats,
North Carolinians, Californians, Canuckistani ...

Chuck Vance (pretty much everyone but Texans)

Charlie Choc
November 3rd, 2005, 08:02 PM
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:55:33 +0100, "Mike Connor" >
wrote:

>"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
><SNIP>
>> Our current president has no real prior governmental experience, so it
>> isn't
>> him.
>> --
>> Charlie...
>> http://www.chocphoto.com
>
>Well no, but he was always dumb.

A common enough quality.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 08:08 PM
"Charlie Choc" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
>>Well no, but he was always dumb.
>>
> A common enough quality.
> --
> Charlie...
> http://www.chocphoto.com

Indeed! Much like sense.

TL
MC

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 08:11 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Jeez, I only put that "Pearl Harbor" line in there as a throwaway about
> how dimwitted some folks are to think that it's a good idea to stock trout
> in a warmwater fishery.
>
> Honestly. No offense intended to Germans, Japanese, Iraqis, Iranians,
> Scots, Irish, Russians, Mexicans, Italians, Serbs, Croats, North
> Carolinians, Californians, Canuckistani ...
>

> Chuck Vance (pretty much everyone but Texans)

Don´t worry about it. This is ROFF, not the US Senate.

( Not THAT much difference really, just that there are fewer dumbos here,
and ROFF has no power to inflict its collective or specific idiocies on the
American public).

TL
MC

Scottish Fly Fisher
November 3rd, 2005, 10:16 PM
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 13:59:20 -0600, Conan The Librarian
> wrote:

>Mike Connor wrote:
>
>> "Repeat anything often enough, and it becomes the truth. ..."
>>
>> (Not from a movie)
>
> Jeez, I only put that "Pearl Harbor" line in there as a throwaway
>about how dimwitted some folks are to think that it's a good idea to
>stock trout in a warmwater fishery.
>
> Honestly. No offense intended to Germans, Japanese, Iraqis,
>Iranians, Scots, Irish, Russians, Mexicans, Italians, Serbs, Croats,
>North Carolinians, Californians, Canuckistani ...

None taken. :-)

John
/fishing/
http://groups.msn.com/scottishflyfisher

Mike Connor
November 3rd, 2005, 10:42 PM
"Scottish Fly Fisher" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> > Honestly. No offense intended to Germans, Japanese, Iraqis,
>>Iranians, Scots, Irish, Russians, Mexicans, Italians, Serbs, Croats,
>>North Carolinians, Californians, Canuckistani ...
>
> None taken. :-)
>
> John
> /fishing/
> http://groups.msn.com/scottishflyfisher

Its alright for you, but I´m English. :)

TL
MC

JR
November 4th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Charlie Choc wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:55:33 +0100, "Mike Connor" wrote:
>
>>Well no, but he was always dumb.
>>
> A common enough quality.

And then there's truly uncommon dumbness.....

W visiting Howard University for a photo op of him and Laura tucking
into some fried chicken and greens on "Soul Food Thursday".....

......resulting in the school cafeteria being closed and the students
being told that if they wanted to eat, *they'd have to go round to the
service door*.

Black university students shuffled of to the service entrance... the
very same day the Senate votes to honor Rosa Parks......

Some **** you just couldn't make up if you tried.

http://tinyurl.com/asz9g

Wolfgang
November 4th, 2005, 02:30 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "Scottish Fly Fisher" > schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag ...
> <SNIP>
>> > Honestly. No offense intended to Germans, Japanese, Iraqis,
>>>Iranians, Scots, Irish, Russians, Mexicans, Italians, Serbs, Croats,
>>>North Carolinians, Californians, Canuckistani ...
>>
>> None taken. :-)
>>
>> John
>> /fishing/
>> http://groups.msn.com/scottishflyfisher
>
> Its alright for you, but I´m English. :)

Yeah, and what about the Malagasy, the Dani, the Berbers, the Filipinos, the
Hutus, the Tuareg, the Ituri, the Indonesians, the Maori, the Sherpas, the
Belgians, the Hmong, the Hidatsa, and......and.....um.....and the French?!
:(

Wolfgang

David Snedeker
November 4th, 2005, 03:09 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "Conan The Librarian" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <SNIP>
>
> >? (Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?)
>
> The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour.
>
> TL
> MC

"Or so the Germans would have you believe."

Dave

Guy Thornberg
November 4th, 2005, 03:45 AM
"Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
> OK, so it's not a picture, but a scenario. As some of you know,
> being Texans, we decided that we should have a year-round trout fishery
> even though gawd didn't intend for trout to live here. (Some might say
> gawd didn't intend for *people* to live down here, but I digress.)
>
> So we took the Guadalupe River where it flows out of Canyon Lake (a
> cold draw-down lake) and stocked it with trout. Not just for
> put-and-take fishing, oh no ... we wanted the fish to survive the summers.
>
> First the droughts killed them, then the flood killed them, and
> supposedly the fireants even got them. But did we give up? (Did we
> give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?) Hell, no! We kept
> stocking them, and even went as far as to make a large portion of the
> Lower Guadaulupe C&R only.
>
> You can imagine my amusement when I read a call for a striper
> fishing tournament on the Guadalupe below Canyon Dam. Best of all, one
> of the stated reasons for the tournament is to "benefit the trout".
>

> Chuck Vance (who just hopes they don't decide next that Guadalupe
> bass are a nuisance to the poor little thangs)

Chuck,
Have you fished the Guadalupe? I have not, but plan to fish it after
Christmas. I just received the Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited
newsletter. Pretty active bunch of people to build a trout fishery in Texas.
My current "close" trout fishing choices are Beaver's Bend @ 3 1/2 hours or
the Guadalupe at 4 1/2 hours (from DFW). We will move to Kerrville in a few
years and then the Guadalupe will be only 60 or so miles away. So... I hope
the trout do well and propegate. Especially after the years in court to
maintain 200 CFS out of the bottom of Canyon Dam (I think 200 is correct) to
keep the water cool enough. Stripers and Cormorants are tough on trout...At
least there are no seals or otters...yet.
Guy

George Adams
November 4th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Hmmm. Otter seems to have come up several times in this thread.

Guy Thornberg
November 4th, 2005, 02:19 PM
"George Adams" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hmmm. Otter seems to have come up several times in this thread.

Ya otter think 'bout what you're say'n before ya say it.

FlyCaughtInTree
November 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM
> My current "close" trout fishing choices are Beaver's Bend @ 3 1/2 hours or
> the Guadalupe at 4 1/2 hours (from DFW). We will move to Kerrville in a few
> years and then the Guadalupe will be only 60 or so miles away. So... I hope
> the trout do well and propegate. Especially after the years in court to
> maintain 200 CFS out of the bottom of Canyon Dam (I think 200 is correct) to
> keep the water cool enough. Stripers and Cormorants are tough on trout...At
> least there are no seals or otters...yet.
> Guy

I'm sure you know that TPWD is stocking the Guadalupe at Kerrville in
the winter. The fish don't last past March or April, but the fishing
is allegedly good while the weather is cold.
When you get moved, there is an active flyfishing club in the area
(Hill Country Fly Fishers) that you might think about joining. I've
been a guest at one of their privately stocked creeks and had a really
good time.

Conan The Librarian
November 7th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Guy Thornberg wrote:

> Chuck,
> Have you fished the Guadalupe?

As a matter of fact, I fished there on Friday. :-) I usually fish
the upper Guad (above Canyon Lake), where I can catch real Texas fish
(Guadalupe bass), not those immigrants. ;-) But I felt like throwing
some trout flies for a change, so I hit the water for a while below the
dam. It was a beautiful day, the trees are turning, it was great
exercise wading those slippery rocks, and I got my casting arm loosened
up. (In other words, I didn't catch anything. :-)

> I have not, but plan to fish it after
> Christmas. I just received the Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited
> newsletter. Pretty active bunch of people to build a trout fishery in Texas.

According to their literature, it's the largest TU chapter in the
country. And yes, they're working very hard at building the fishery.
They've negotiated river access with landowners and undertaken stocking
the river with some really large trout, as well as promoting C&R.

I can't fault them for their effort, but IMHO it's a bit like
tilting at windmills; there's a reason trout don't occur there naturally.

> My current "close" trout fishing choices are Beaver's Bend @ 3 1/2 hours or
> the Guadalupe at 4 1/2 hours (from DFW). We will move to Kerrville in a few
> years and then the Guadalupe will be only 60 or so miles away. So... I hope
> the trout do well and propegate. Especially after the years in court to
> maintain 200 CFS out of the bottom of Canyon Dam (I think 200 is correct) to
> keep the water cool enough. Stripers and Cormorants are tough on trout...At
> least there are no seals or otters...yet.

Maybe we can get TU to stock them as well. ;-)

As far as the water release -- that's been quite a battle. I know
they were aiming for 200 cfs, but looking at the numbers, it's been
running at roughly 100-120 for quite a while now. But water temps have
been pretty good overall. (It was in the low sixties on Friday.)

Chuck Vance