PDA

View Full Version : Frappr beta from Google

Ken Fortenberry
November 4th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I thought this was kinda cool.

http://www.frappr.com/roff

Anybody got any ideas for the group photo/logo ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Daniel-San
November 4th, 2005, 02:13 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote ...
>I thought this was kinda cool.
>
> http://www.frappr.com/roff

Nice steelie

> Anybody got any ideas for the group photo/logo ?

For the logo:

http://www.manhole.ca/picpages/gibraltar008.htm

> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Dan

Ken Fortenberry
November 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Daniel-San wrote:
> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote ...
>>Anybody got any ideas for the group photo/logo ?
>
> For the logo:
>
> http://www.manhole.ca/picpages/gibraltar008.htm

LOL. Yeah that'd work, I guess.

At one time I remember some graphic artist doing a
roff logo.

The more the merrier, go ahead and add yourself to
the map.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
November 4th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> Daniel-San wrote:
>> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote ...
>>> Anybody got any ideas for the group photo/logo ?
>>
>> For the logo:
>>
>> http://www.manhole.ca/picpages/gibraltar008.htm
>
> LOL. Yeah that'd work, I guess.

While "SEWER" may be apt I've decided to go with a
piece of artwork designed especially for roff's first
ever 'Clave.

Check out the artwork of AWH Jr. and add yourself to
the map at:

http://www.frappr.com/roff

--
Ken Fortenberry

Mike Connor
November 4th, 2005, 05:23 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
m...
<SNIP>
> Check out the artwork of AWH Jr. and add yourself to
> the map at:
>
> http://www.frappr.com/roff
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Wont work for me.

TL
MC

Jeff Taylor
November 4th, 2005, 05:44 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> Wont work for me.

Did you click the "Not in the US? Click Here"... while adding your name? If
it still does not work, I know they are expanding the city listings daily as
this is still in beta.

JT

Ken Fortenberry
November 4th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Jeff Taylor wrote:
> "Mike Connor" > wrote:
>>
>>Wont work for me.
>
> Did you click the "Not in the US? Click Here"... while adding your name? If
> it still does not work, I know they are expanding the city listings daily as
> this is still in beta.

Yeah, what Jeff said. I've seen other Frappr maps with
members in Europe. The only thing I can control with
regards to membership is open or closed and it's wide
open.

I'd say go to the non-Zipcode version and type in the
nearest city.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Mike Connor
November 4th, 2005, 05:49 PM
"Jeff Taylor" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Mike Connor" > wrote in message
>>

>> Wont work for me.
>
> Did you click the "Not in the US? Click Here"... while adding your name?
> If it still does not work, I know they are expanding the city listings
> daily as this is still in beta.
>
> JT

Yes. It does not work for me, even though it accepts the city.

TL
MC

Ken Fortenberry
November 4th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Mike Connor wrote:
> "Jeff Taylor" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>"Mike Connor" > wrote in message
>>

>>>Wont work for me.
>>
>>Did you click the "Not in the US? Click Here"... while adding your name?
>>If it still does not work, I know they are expanding the city listings
>>daily as this is still in beta.
>>
>>JT
>>

> Yes. It does not work for me, even though it accepts the city.

Hmmmm, did you type something in the required
Shoutout box ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Mike Connor
November 4th, 2005, 06:12 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Hmmmm, did you type something in the required
> Shoutout box ?
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Yes.

It is no big deal.

TL
MC

Ken Fortenberry
November 4th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Mike Connor wrote:
> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
>>Hmmmm, did you type something in the required
>>Shoutout box ?
>
> Yes.
>
> It is no big deal.

Yeah, I know, but it's irritating.
Could be cookies or somesuch, I suppose.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Mike Connor
November 4th, 2005, 06:22 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Mike Connor wrote:
>> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
>>>Hmmmm, did you type something in the required
>>>Shoutout box ?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> It is no big deal.
>
> Yeah, I know, but it's irritating.
> Could be cookies or somesuch, I suppose.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Donīt know what it is. I use Google Earth, and that works OK. I also use
some other very complex stuff without problems.

TL
MC

JR
November 4th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> Mike Connor wrote:
>> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmmm, did you type something in the required
>>> Shoutout box ?

>> Yes.
>>
>> It is no big deal.
>
> Yeah, I know, but it's irritating.
> Could be cookies or somesuch, I suppose.

Mike is showing up on the map for me (although my screen's a bit small
to contain his entire address <g>). No photo, though. May just take a
bit more tinkering.....

Ken Fortenberry
November 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM
JR wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>
>> Mike Connor wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> It is no big deal.
>>

>> Yeah, I know, but it's irritating.
>> Could be cookies or somesuch, I suppose.
>>
> Mike is showing up on the map for me (although my screen's a bit small
> to contain his entire address <g>). No photo, though. May just take a
> bit more tinkering.....

I did that. I plugged in Mike Connor, Kaiserslautern, Germany
just to test Europe and then I deleted it.

Well, like they say, it's beta.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
November 4th, 2005, 06:31 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> Mike Connor wrote:

>>>Did you click the "Not in the US? Click Here"... while adding your name?
>>>If it still does not work, I know they are expanding the city listings
>>>daily as this is still in beta.
>>>
>>>JT
>>>

>> Yes. It does not work for me, even though it accepts the city.
>
> Hmmmm, did you type something in the required
> Shoutout box ?

So, what does "shoutout" mean?

Meanwhile, I uploaded a photo using the "share a photo" box and only later
noted (on another page) another box titled "add yourself". I assume this is
some sort of membership application which will result in my
location.....different from that in the photo.....being marked on the map
(the location of the photo I uploaded was not). True?

Wolfgang

rw
November 4th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> I thought this was kinda cool.
>
> http://www.frappr.com/roff

That is pretty cool. Good catch, Ken.

Ken Fortenberry
November 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
>
>>Mike Connor wrote:

>>>Yes. It does not work for me, even though it accepts the city.
>>
>>Hmmmm, did you type something in the required
>>Shoutout box ?
>

> So, what does "shoutout" mean?
>
> Meanwhile, I uploaded a photo using the "share a photo" box and only later
> noted (on another page) another box titled "add yourself". I assume this is
> some sort of membership application which will result in my
> location.....different from that in the photo.....being marked on the map
> (the location of the photo I uploaded was not). True?

Your location on the map will be whatever zip code you enter
on the add yourself page. And you're correct the location of
the photo is not shown on the map.

--
Ken Fortenberry

William Claspy
November 4th, 2005, 07:00 PM
On 11/4/05 1:23 PM, in article , "JR"
> wrote:

> Mike is showing up on the map for me (although my screen's a bit small
> to contain his entire address <g>). No photo, though. May just take a
> bit more tinkering.....

Nice reel, JR.

:-)

Bill

Bob Patton
November 5th, 2005, 04:29 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
>I thought this was kinda cool.
>
> http://www.frappr.com/roff
>
> Anybody got any ideas for the group photo/logo ?
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

That's neat!
Didn't know I couldn't change it until too late . . . At least it's typical.

--
Bob Patton
(remove hat to respond)

Bob Patton
November 5th, 2005, 04:55 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

//snip//>
> So, what does "shoutout" mean?
>
> Meanwhile, I uploaded a photo using the "share a photo" box and only later
> noted (on another page) another box titled "add yourself". I assume this
> is some sort of membership application which will result in my
> location.....different from that in the photo.....being marked on the map
> (the location of the photo I uploaded was not). True?
>
> Wolfgang

Did you take that picture of Asadi at Bruce Crossing? Dramatic!!
Did anybody catch any fish in that pool?

Bob

Ken Fortenberry
November 5th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Bob Patton wrote:
> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
>>I thought this was kinda cool.
>>
>>http://www.frappr.com/roff
>

> That's neat!
> Didn't know I couldn't change it until too late . . . At least it's typical.

If you, or anybody else, want to have your first attempt
at roff Frappr deleted just send me an email and I will
make it so. My first attempt on another Frappr resulted
in a 1.2 MB pic of my ugly mug that I wish I could remove
and do over in a more appropriate size.

--
Ken Fortenberry

riverman
November 5th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Fortenberry said:
"Your location on the map will be whatever zip code you enter
on the add yourself page. And you're correct the location of
the photo is not shown on the map. "

Yeah, but what about those of us without US zipcodes? It planted me
right in Aberdeen harbor, on Ap Lei Chau island, which is not where I
am. Is there any way to place the pointer precisely? I can see my house
clearly on google.earth.

--riverman

JR
November 5th, 2005, 07:07 AM
riverman wrote:

> Yeah, but what about those of us without US zipcodes? It planted me
> right in Aberdeen harbor, on Ap Lei Chau island, which is not where I
> am. Is there any way to place the pointer precisely? I can see my house
> clearly on google.earth.

A U.S. zip code won't necessarily help you.

Frappr has my little flag firmly planted in what any real estate agent
in Bend (i.e., every third person) will tell you is the "wrong side of
town". It's a struggle, yes, but I expect in the end to find a way to
live with it.... :-)

Ken Fortenberry
November 5th, 2005, 12:47 PM
riverman wrote:
> Fortenberry said:
> "Your location on the map will be whatever zip code you enter
> on the add yourself page. And you're correct the location of
> the photo is not shown on the map. "
>
> Yeah, but what about those of us without US zipcodes? It planted me
> right in Aberdeen harbor, on Ap Lei Chau island, which is not where I
> am. Is there any way to place the pointer precisely? I can see my house
> clearly on google.earth.

No, I don't believe the pointer can be placed precisely. When
I zoom in on Mike Connor's location in Germany there are no
features, no roads, no towns, no nothing. Maybe in a later
version of Frappr.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
November 5th, 2005, 01:10 PM
"Bob Patton" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" > wrote in message
>>
> //snip//>
>> So, what does "shoutout" mean?
>>
>> Meanwhile, I uploaded a photo using the "share a photo" box and only
>> later noted (on another page) another box titled "add yourself". I
>> assume this is some sort of membership application which will result in
>> my location.....different from that in the photo.....being marked on the
>> map (the location of the photo I uploaded was not). True?
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Did you take that picture of Asadi at Bruce Crossing? Dramatic!!
> Did anybody catch any fish in that pool?

Well, not exactly at Bruce Crossing. As others have pointed out, Frappr
lacks the sort of precision necessary to navigate successfully to "The Great
Secret Fishing Hole," thus ending life as we know it. Probably for the
best. :)

Agate falls is on the middle branch of the Ontonagon river, a couple hundred
yards north of (and a couple hundred feet below the level of) Michigan Hwy.
28, about 7 miles southeast of Bruce Crossing. I consider no trip to the
western U.P complete without a stop at Agate.....especially in the company
of newbies. Technically, John was not a newbie.....he had been there,
briefly, once before about 4 years ago, but we went anyway. Viewed either
from the old railroad (now snowmobile) trestle or from the base, the falls
appear to be a near continuous drop of forty feet, interrupted only by some
minor outcrops. In fact, there are substantial ledges which make the whole
thing a series (over a short horizontal distance) of smaller falls.

After the obligatory fishing of the pool at the base of the falls, I
suggested that we hike up a bit so that John could see how the character of
the streambed changes over the course of the quarter mile or so immediately
upstream. Rather than try to negotiate the steep and slippery clay banks
off to the side, I decided to climb up the edge of the waterfall
itself......faster, easier, and besides I just like climbing. John
followed, and we soon found ourselves on a large ledge that extends nearly
all the way across about half way up the falls, in the middle of which there
is a large pool.

In October of last year we were in a similar position on Sassafras down in
the smokies while fishing with Jeff. On that occasion, John decided to find
out whether there might be a fish in a pool half way down a waterfall.
There was. At Agate, he couldn't resist the temptation to try a repeat
performance. He didn't get a fish this time, but I got a couple of lovely
photos. :)

If I understand this Frappr thingy, Ken set up this group, collection, or
whatever it may be called and is the administrator. At any rate, I'm not
sure what constitutes proper etiquette.....how many pictures one may post,
etc. If there's no objection I'll be happy to post a couple of other views
of the falls (with and without John for scale). Ken? Anyone?

Wolfgang

Mike Connor
November 5th, 2005, 01:12 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> No, I don't believe the pointer can be placed precisely. When
> I zoom in on Mike Connor's location in Germany there are no
> features, no roads, no towns, no nothing. Maybe in a later
> version of Frappr.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

They have no linked maps above a certain resolution, so precision is not
possible. Even in Google Earth, not all places are displayabel with the
same high resolution, this depends entirely on the available satellite
scans.

This may be of interest;

http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/theboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=7811f346f205e7c963c91b4c41b12030;a ct=ST;f=1;t=3111
TL
MC

Ken Fortenberry
November 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Wolfgang wrote:
> <snip>
> If I understand this Frappr thingy, Ken set up this group, collection, or
> whatever it may be called and is the administrator. At any rate, I'm not
> sure what constitutes proper etiquette.....how many pictures one may post,
> etc. If there's no objection I'll be happy to post a couple of other views
> of the falls (with and without John for scale). Ken? Anyone?

Absolutely !! As I understand it sharing photos is a big
part of what Frappr is all about. Feel free to post as many
pics as you wish. You can write descriptive comments if you
wish in the "Tag" window.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
November 6th, 2005, 12:52 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> Wolfgang wrote:
>> <snip> If I understand this Frappr thingy, Ken set up this group,
>> collection, or whatever it may be called and is the administrator. At
>> any rate, I'm not sure what constitutes proper etiquette.....how many
>> pictures one may post, etc. If there's no objection I'll be happy to
>> post a couple of other views of the falls (with and without John for
>> scale). Ken? Anyone?
>
> Absolutely !! As I understand it sharing photos is a big
> part of what Frappr is all about. Feel free to post as many
> pics as you wish. You can write descriptive comments if you
> wish in the "Tag" window.

Okie dokie, then.

I've selected three more photos which I'll post in succession several
minutes apart in the hope that they'll appear in accordance with the
following descriptions:

1. Agate falls and the railroad trestle. The overall height of the falls
is (by my own admittedly rough estimate) about forty feet. The top of the
trestle is about a hundred feet above the surface of the stream. This is
estimate is a bit more precise. A few years ago some friends and I
rappelled from the trestle down along the vertical support visible on the
right, to a diagonal strut (obscured by the foliage in this picture) like
the ones visible higher up on both sides. This was as far as we could
safely go before getting too close to the end of the rope, and it left us
roughly twenty feet above the stream. I later measured the length of rope
we descended at eighty feet. At the horizontal center of the falls and
about 2/3 of the way up, there is a chute of water with very little foam and
much color. Just to the left of that is where John was standing in the
previously posted picture.

2. John, thirty or forty feet from the base of the falls, for scale.

3. Life (such as we know it) at the bottom of the falls.

Mike Connor
November 6th, 2005, 01:21 AM
"Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> 3. Life (such as we know it) at the bottom of the falls.

There is something special about falls, even relatively small ones. Over the
years, I have caught quite a few fish in fall pools. I always approach them
with high expectations.

You certainly fish in some lovely places. Most Europeans go green with envy
when they see such pictures.

TL
MC

Wolfgang
November 6th, 2005, 01:34 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <SNIP>
>> 3. Life (such as we know it) at the bottom of the falls.
>>

> There is something special about falls, even relatively small ones.

Amen. Michigan's upper peninsula is blessed with hundreds of them. Most of
them are nowhere near as large or as spectacular as Agate, but each is
wonderful in its own way.

> Over the years, I have caught quite a few fish in fall pools. I always
> approach them with high expectations.

I've fished this pool many, many times. One can always get skunked, of
course, but I know from experience that they are always there. Except
during the runs of steelhead, salmon, and the big lake resident browns, the
largest fish one can reasonably expect here is probably about ten
inches.....but they are always there. And what a beautiful place they've
chosen to live in!

> You certainly fish in some lovely places. Most Europeans go green with
> envy when they see such pictures.

This surprised me a bit. I guess the grass IS always greener.....

I see photos of the highlands in Scotland, the Swiss alps, the famous chalk
streams of England, the tundra in the Scandinavian countries, and I think,
"how exotic....how romantic.....how lucky they are!"

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
November 6th, 2005, 01:41 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

>> You certainly fish in some lovely places. Most Europeans go green with
>> envy when they see such pictures.
>
> This surprised me a bit. I guess the grass IS always greener.....
>
> I see photos of the highlands in Scotland, the Swiss alps, the famous
> chalk streams of England, the tundra in the Scandinavian countries, and I
> think, "how exotic....how romantic.....how lucky they are!"

By the way, any of you European types who find yourselves on this side of
the pond between the last Saturday in April and the last day of September
may rest assured that you will have NO trouble finding willing (and
remarkably cheap) guides to all of the hotspots in the upper Great Lakes
region at least.

Wolfgang
all that's really required is sufficient command of the english language to
order a round of beers.......not as easy as it may sound up in da yoop, eh?
:)

Mike Connor
November 6th, 2005, 01:41 AM
"Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
>> You certainly fish in some lovely places. Most Europeans go green with
>> envy when they see such pictures.
>
> This surprised me a bit. I guess the grass IS always greener.....
>
> I see photos of the highlands in Scotland, the Swiss alps, the famous
> chalk streams of England, the tundra in the Scandinavian countries, and I
> think, "how exotic....how romantic.....how lucky they are!"
>
> Wolfgang

The ancillary knowledge that you can more or less freely access these places
is a major point here. There are beautiful places here too, but it is
sometimes difficult or expensive to even get a look at them, never mind
actually fish there.

Mainland Europe is becoming ever more expensive and exclusive in regard to
good angling water, and this simply makes it more or less prohibitive for
many.

Scotland still seems a good bet, but by the time I got there, I would
already have spent a considerable amount of money. Much the same applies to
other "Destinations". Apart from which, I am not really a "destination
angler" anyway, I have always tried to make the best of local opportunities.
Admittedly, these are steadily decreasing. I had planned to move somewhere
with more attractive opportunities, but for various reasons it has not
proved to be very practical. I am still considering though.

TL
MC

Wolfgang
November 6th, 2005, 02:16 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <SNIP>
>>> You certainly fish in some lovely places. Most Europeans go green with
>>> envy when they see such pictures.
>>
>> This surprised me a bit. I guess the grass IS always greener.....
>>
>> I see photos of the highlands in Scotland, the Swiss alps, the famous
>> chalk streams of England, the tundra in the Scandinavian countries, and I
>> think, "how exotic....how romantic.....how lucky they are!"
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>

> The ancillary knowledge that you can more or less freely access these
> places is a major point here. There are beautiful places here too, but it
> is sometimes difficult or expensive to even get a look at them, never mind
> actually fish there.
>
> Mainland Europe is becoming ever more expensive and exclusive in regard to
> good angling water, and this simply makes it more or less prohibitive for
> many.
>
> Scotland still seems a good bet, but by the time I got there, I would
> already have spent a considerable amount of money. Much the same applies
> to other "Destinations". Apart from which, I am not really a "destination
> angler" anyway, I have always tried to make the best of local
> opportunities. Admittedly, these are steadily decreasing. I had planned to
> move somewhere with more attractive opportunities, but for various reasons
> it has not proved to be very practical. I am still considering though.

The story is being replayed here, albeit we haven't traveled as far down
that road as yet. The American west is rapidly becoming a playground for
the rich......well, those parts that haven't already been co-opted by
various extractive industries at the taxpayers' expense......but that's a
whole 'nother rant.

Fortunately, the U.P. bids fair to avoid that fate, at least for the time
being........too many bugs. :)

Come on over sometime.

Wolfgang
who, having spent much time there, knows dat da yoop is as local as it gets,
ainna?

Wolfgang
November 6th, 2005, 02:21 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> ...sharing photos is a big
> part of what Frappr is all about. Feel free to post as many
> pics as you wish....

Well, it looks like the Frappr beta still has a few issues to work out.
After looking at one of the batch of three photos I posted this evening, I
hit the "back" button on my browser and was told that the page had
expired.....try refreshing, it said. So I did.....twice. Now there are
three copies of the photo I was looking at. :)

Wolfgang

Ken Fortenberry
November 6th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
>
>>...sharing photos is a big
>>part of what Frappr is all about. Feel free to post as many
>>pics as you wish....
>

> Well, it looks like the Frappr beta still has a few issues to work out.
> After looking at one of the batch of three photos I posted this evening, I
> hit the "back" button on my browser and was told that the page had
> expired.....try refreshing, it said. So I did.....twice. Now there are
> three copies of the photo I was looking at. :)

It's easy enough to remove duplicate pictures but you've
somehow managed to make the roff Frappr risque again.

The ads started off Russian Women, dating services and
Jewish singles, then we got a string of ads for Motels
in Minot, North Dakota (kinda makes you wonder what Kevin
is up to out there ;-), but then you posted duplicate
waterfalls and we're back to dating Russian Jewish singles.

Anyway, the ads pay the freight I guess, so find yourself
a Russian Jewish single and get a room in Minot, North Dakota.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Mike Connor
November 6th, 2005, 02:49 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
m...
<SNIP>

> Anyway, the ads pay the freight I guess, so find yourself
> a Russian Jewish single and get a room in Minot, North Dakota.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Odd that, I donīt get any ads. Not that I am complaining!

TL
MC

Kevin Vang
November 6th, 2005, 05:40 AM
In article >,
says...
> The ads started off Russian Women, dating services and
> Jewish singles, then we got a string of ads for Motels
> in Minot, North Dakota (kinda makes you wonder what Kevin
> is up to out there ;-), but then you posted duplicate
> waterfalls and we're back to dating Russian Jewish singles.

Hey, those girls were foreign exchange students, and nobody
was ever able to prove any different!

Kevin