PDA

View Full Version : 2 Piece v. 3 Piece

Lionel F. Stevenson
November 4th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Hi,
I was looking for a 8 ft 3 wt 2 piece
and a 8'6" 6 wt 2 piece rod blanks.

I got a deal on some rod blanks.
However, they are a 9 ft 3 wt. 2 piece
and a 9ft 6 wt 3 piece.

Is there anything I should be wary of here?

My present rod is 8'6"

Tight lines!
Lionel
-- Lionel

Mike Connor
November 4th, 2005, 03:21 PM
"Lionel F. Stevenson" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
> I was looking for a 8 ft 3 wt 2 piece
> and a 8'6" 6 wt 2 piece rod blanks.
>
> I got a deal on some rod blanks.
> However, they are a 9 ft 3 wt. 2 piece
> and a 9ft 6 wt 3 piece.
>
> Is there anything I should be wary of here?
>
> My present rod is 8'6"
>
> Tight lines!
> Lionel
> -- Lionel

Nothing in particular, long rods can be very useful. However, 9´6" is about
the length limit for most people. After that the mechanical disadvantage (
leverage) causes problems.

Make sure you get the ring ( guide) spacings correct. The more pieces a rod
has, the more difficult this is.

TL
MC

Larry and a Cat named Dub
November 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM
FYI
A good guide is found at
http://flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding//index6.html
A excellent book is Rod building Guide By Tom Kirkman
Frank Amano publications