PDA

View Full Version : How many species?

rw
November 7th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Peter Collins' thread on states and provinces got me to thinking about
how many species of fish (loosely speaking) I've caught.

On the fly:

rainbow trout
cutthroat trout
brown trout
brook trout
lake trout
mountain whitefish
coho salmon
pink salmon
chinook salmon (fry only)
sockeye salmon (kokanee only)
bull trout
dolly varden
arctic char (probably)
grayling
largemouth bass
smallmouth bass
bluegill
punkinseed (sunfish)
striped bass
bonefish
trevally
puffer
tarpon
yellow snapper
mutton snapper
jack crevalle
pudding wife
squirrel fish
barracuda

by other means:

walleye
northern pike
white perch
yellow perch
gar
carp
croaker
eel

I'm sure I've missed some, including various reef fish in Belize that I
couldn't even identify.

Peter A. Collin
November 7th, 2005, 01:51 PM
rainbow trout
cutthroat trout
brown trout
brook trout
cuttbow
palomino trout
lake trout
mountain whitefish
Eastern Whitefish
coho salmon
chinook salmon
landlocked salmon
bull trout
grayling
largemouth bass
smallmouth bass
"kentucky" spotted bass
bluegill
punkinseed (sunfish)
striped bass
walleye
Northern Pike
Channel Catfish
Bullhead
black crappie
chain pickerel
white perch
white bass
white sucker
redfin sucker
buffalofish
carp
grass carp
mackerel
yellow perch
flounder
longnose gar
many types of chubs and fallfish

and I think I caught a muskie fingerling once.

Pete Collin

Peter Charles
November 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 05:58:19 -0700, rw
> wrote:

>Peter Collins' thread on states and provinces got me to thinking about
>how many species of fish (loosely speaking) I've caught.
>
>On the fly:

rainbow trout & steelhead
brown
brookie
bull
landlocked atlantics
carp
sucker
chub
pike
largemouth
smallmouth
striper
bullhead
walleye
chinook
pumpkinseed
bluegill
rock bass
crappie

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Wayne Knight
November 7th, 2005, 03:16 PM
rw wrote:
> Peter Collins' thread on states and provinces got me to thinking about
> how many species of fish (loosely speaking) I've caught.
>
> On the fly:

Fly:

Rainbow Trout
Great Lakes Steelhead
King Salmon
Silver Salmon
Brown Trout
Brook Trout
Cutthroat (as stocked in Arkansas )
LM Bass
SM Bass
Redfish
Various Perches, Bluegill, and Crappie
Catfish
Walleye
Redeye Bass
Striped Bass
Muskie (ate the Rainbow I was attempting to land in NY state but
started out as a #16 BWO)
Pike
Various Suckers and *coarse fish*

Other Tackle
Blue Marlin
White Marlin
Sailfish
Tuna
Bonita
Hammerhead Shark
Tiger Shark
Sand Shark
King Mackeral
Spotted Seatrout
White Seatrout
Long Nosed Gar
Snook
Tarpon
Dolphin (the fish, not the mammal)
Blue Fish
Grouper
Red Snapper
and other smallish SW fish.

Wolfgang
November 7th, 2005, 03:45 PM
"rw" > wrote in message
> Peter Collins' thread on states and provinces got me to thinking about how
> many species of fish (loosely speaking) I've caught....

Rainbow, brown, brook and cutthroat trout. Do hybrids such as the cutbow
count?
Rocky mountain whitefish
Bluegills, pumpkinseed and various other unidentified allies.
Rock Bass
Smallmouth bass
Largemouth bass
Northern Pike
Muskie
Black and white crappy
White bass
Walleye pike.....and probably sauger.....not at all sure I could tell them
apart.
Yellow perch
Coho salmon
Chinook salmon
Channel cat
Bullhead
Bowfin
Various "suckers"
Sundry, "minnows".....dace and other unidentified tiny fish
Sculpins of one sort or another
Myriad "chubs"

All of the above except the bowfin on flies......most of them also with bait
and/or hardware.

I've also gotten grouper, red snapper, snook and others that I never
identified or have forgotten with a spear gun.

Also, many thousands of smelt with nets.

Wolfgang

Frank Reid
November 7th, 2005, 03:55 PM
> Also, many thousands of smelt with nets.
>
> Wolfgang

If you didn't leave the nets in the sun so long, they wouldn't have smelt.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Peter A. Collin
November 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Knew I'd forget as few:

rock bass
sheepshead

rw
November 7th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Peter Charles wrote:

> rock bass
> crappie

Damn! I knew I'd forgotten a couple.

Conan The Librarian
November 7th, 2005, 04:14 PM
OK, I don't usually respond to "polls", but this one got me
thinking. The following have been caught by various means, from bait to
lures to flies.

Largemouth bass
Spotted bass
Smallmouth bass
Guadalupe bass
Striped bass
White bass
Carp (bait only)
various suckers (bait only)
Gar
Pike
Gaspergou (freshwater drum) (bait only)
Bowfin (bait only)
Channel catfish
Blue catfish (bait only)
Yellow catfish (bait only)
Bluegill
Green sunfish
Readear sunfish
Black and white crappie
Red drum
Hardheads (sal****er catfish) (bait only)
Speckled trout (sal****er "trout")
Black drum (bait only)
Rainbow trout
Brown trout
Brook trout

rw
November 7th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> Do hybrids such as the cutbow
> count?

Well, I didn't include palomino rainbow trout or the nearly dead chum
salmon I foul hooked in Alaska, but everyone has to follow their own
consciences. :-)

Wolfgang
November 7th, 2005, 04:23 PM
"Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message

> ...Carp....

Oh, yeah. Bow and arrow on the Lake Michigan shore......many years ago.
Oddly, perhaps, I don't recall ever catching one on a hook.

Wolfgang

Conan The Librarian
November 7th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> "Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
>
>>...Carp....
>

> Oh, yeah. Bow and arrow on the Lake Michigan shore......many years ago.
> Oddly, perhaps, I don't recall ever catching one on a hook.

And of course I also remembered some more: rock bass, "pumpkinseed"
and warmouth.

Chuck Vance

BJ Conner
November 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM
rw wrote:
> Peter Collins' thread on states and provinces got me to thinking about
> how many species of fish (loosely speaking) I've caught.
>
> On the fly:
>
> rainbow trout
> cutthroat trout
> brown trout
> brook trout
> lake trout
> mountain whitefish
> coho salmon
> pink salmon
> chinook salmon (fry only)
> sockeye salmon (kokanee only)
> bull trout
> dolly varden
> arctic char (probably)
> grayling
> largemouth bass
> smallmouth bass
> bluegill
> punkinseed (sunfish)
> striped bass
> bonefish
> trevally
> puffer
> tarpon
> yellow snapper
> mutton snapper
> jack crevalle
> pudding wife
> squirrel fish
> barracuda
>
> by other means:
>
> walleye
> northern pike
> white perch
> yellow perch
> gar
> carp
> croaker
> eel
>
> I'm sure I've missed some, including various reef fish in Belize that I
> couldn't even identify.
>
> --
> Cut "to the chase" for my email address.

Most of the usual freshwater above, still have fish to catch in the
salt.
For unusual freshwater fish;
Sacramento Perch and Hitch

rw
November 7th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Wolfgang wrote:
> "Conan The Librarian" > wrote in message
>
>>...Carp....
>

> Oh, yeah. Bow and arrow on the Lake Michigan shore......many years ago.
> Oddly, perhaps, I don't recall ever catching one on a hook.

When I was about 14 years old I killed two spawning carp with one big
rock. It was one of the most pointless, shameful things I've ever done.

BTW, for you guys in Baltimore, in was in Montebello Reservoir. I lived
nearby, so I used to fish for largemouth bass there. It was illegal, but
I could go down a steep bank and get behind a reed bed were no one could
see me. Anyway, if you're 14 and broke, WTF? What are they going to do?
Throw you in jail?

My best day at Montebello was two five-pound (honest) bass. Spawners. I
really wish I still had that photo. I put them in the freezer and my
mother threw them away about a year later. That was also one of the most
pointless, shameful things I've ever done. But I was 14, so cut me some
slack.

rw
November 7th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Conan The Librarian wrote:

> And of course I also remembered some more: rock bass, "pumpkinseed"
> and warmouth.

Another I forgot: Squaw Fish, aka Pike Minnow for the politically
correct among us.

Speaking of politically correct, the "official" name of the jew fish is
now the goliath grouper. OK, fine. But David the Hebrew slew Goliath the
Philistine, so this is a slap in the faces of Jews.

The official namers argue that "goliath" doesn't refer to the Biblical
giant in person, but only to the common lower-case meaning of the word.
That makes no sense at all. The lower-case "goliath" derives from
Goliath the giant Philistine warrior, and no one would remember Goliath
the person if it hadn't been for David the Jew. David MADE Goliath's
reputation, by killing him and thereby getting him a mention in the Bible.

If they had to change the name they could have called it the great
grouper, or the gargantuan grouper, or the stupendous grouper, or the
humongous grouper, or the superduper grouper. But no, they had to insult
the Jews, as if they haven't been though enough already.

Willi and I saw a "goliath grouper" while snorkeling in Belize. It must
have been 300 lbs, easy. Maybe much bigger. It was resting on one side
of a rock, and a big nurse shark was on the other side. Very cool.

Conan The Librarian
November 7th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Jonathan Cook wrote:

> [big snip just to get to this]
>
> Northernmost place fished: athabasca river near jasper. Caught
> rainbow and brook trout

Interesting. When SWMBO and I traveled through that area, I had my
doubts about what the fishery was like. We were there in early
September, and the water was almost milky-colored from glacial silt.
What time of year did you fish it?

Chuck Vance (who wouldn't mind fishing that area the next time
he's there)

Peter Charles
November 7th, 2005, 10:51 PM
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:10:18 -0700, rw
> wrote:

>Peter Charles wrote:
>>
>> rock bass
>> crappie
>
>Damn! I knew I'd forgotten a couple.

and I forgot perch

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Peter Charles
November 7th, 2005, 10:53 PM
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:15:16 -0500, Peter Charles
> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 05:58:19 -0700, rw
> wrote:
>
>>Peter Collins' thread on states and provinces got me to thinking about
>>how many species of fish (loosely speaking) I've caught.
>>
>>On the fly:
>
>rainbow trout & steelhead
>brown
>brookie
>bull
>landlocked atlantics
>carp
>sucker
>chub
>pike
>largemouth
>smallmouth
>striper
>bullhead
>walleye
>chinook
>pumpkinseed
>bluegill
>rock bass
>crappie
>

>Peter
>
>turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

oh ya, if we're not talking fly caught, add bowfin, musky

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Wolfgang
November 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM
"Frank Reid" > wrote in message
>> Also, many thousands of smelt with nets.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> If you didn't leave the nets in the sun so long, they wouldn't have smelt.

Doesn't matter. In the years when I pursued them.....mostly the early 60s
through mid 70s.....the stench of millions of tons of rotting alewives
pretty much drowned out everything else. :(

Wolfgang

Mike Connor
November 7th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Hmmm.... Difficult.
Salmon
Seatrout
Trout
Grayling
Pike
Perch
Roach
Dace
Carp
Crucian carp
Goldfish
Tench
Barbel
Bream
Burbot
Eel
Bullhead
Garfish
Bass
Mullet
Dab
Flounder
Cod
Haddock
Mackerel
Whiting
Pollack
Herring
Pouting
Weaver
Gurnard ( Grey and red)

Various bats, ducks, seagulls, frogs, and two sheep.

Using bait and various other methods, quite a few more.

TL
MC

Daniel-San
November 7th, 2005, 11:52 PM
"Wolfgang" wrote ...

>>> Also, many thousands of smelt with nets.

> Doesn't matter. In the years when I pursued them.....mostly the early 60s
> through mid 70s.....the stench of millions of tons of rotting alewives
> pretty much drowned out everything else. :(
>
> Wolfgang

Many a fine memory of same. Sitting on the 'horseshoe' at Montrose harbor
with Dad at 3 AM. The horrible stench of the alewives was easily drowned out
by the stories Dad told about smelting in his youth.

Thanks for the flashback...

Dan

Tim Lysyk
November 7th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Close to home , I have caught (on the fly)

Rainbow trout
Cutthroat trout
Bull Trout
Brown Trout
Brook trout
Golden trout (the real kind, not some albino rainbow)
Lake Trout

Rocky Mountain Whitefish

Northern Pike

A squawfish or two, but these were accidental

red-finned suckers (happens every year during runoff as I dredge the
bottom with big nymphs)

I have also caught, but not on the fly, and not necessarily close to home:

Walleye
Chinook Salmon
Coho Salmon
Sculpins
Perch

I can't think of any others.

Tim Lysyk

Scott Seidman
November 8th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Peter Charles > wrote in
:

> chub

There have been two or three outings where I entertained myself catching
chub on dries when little else was going down.

I took a chub on a size 4 salmon hook once at Sandy Creek. That was
something to see. If I remember, it was on my own concoction that I call a
"freddie mercury"

Hook: Salmon fly, size 4-6
tail: purple schlappen
tag: medium oval tinsel
body: Purple ultra chenille
rib: fine oval tinsel
thorax: Purple lite brite
wing: flourescent pink calf tail (reverse tied)
Hackle: Purple chickabou

I don't remember why I called it a "freddie Mercury", but it seems to fish
well in everything from clear to deeply stained water.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Mike Connor
November 8th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Forgot chub and vendace, doubtless a few others as well.

TL
MC

Peter A. Collin
November 8th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Mike Connor wrote:
> Hmmm.... Difficult.

> Dab

Is that short for something?

> Pouting
> Weaver
> Gurnard ( Grey and red)

Never heard of them..... Do you catch weaver on woven body nymphs?

Bob La Londe
November 8th, 2005, 01:03 AM
On the fly:
rainbow trout
large mouthbass
white bass

Other Artificials:
striped bass
smalled mouth bass
channel catfish (flipping plastics)
flathead catfish (inline spinners and jigging spoons)
warmouth
green sunfish
shellcracker
bluegill
walleye
black crappie
white crappie
threadfin shad
white perch
tilapia

Bait or Bait tipped Artificial:
most of the above plus
gobie
yellow perch
carp
sheephead
bulhead catfish
callico bass
barracuda
sculpin
mackeral
eel (species unknown)

Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

rw
November 8th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Jonathan Cook wrote:

> Shad (L,B)

How could I have forgotten shad?

Wolfgang
November 8th, 2005, 01:22 AM
"Daniel-San" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Wolfgang" wrote ...

>> Doesn't matter. In the years when I pursued them.....mostly the early
>> 60s through mid 70s.....the stench of millions of tons of rotting
>> alewives pretty much drowned out everything else. :(
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Many a fine memory of same. Sitting on the 'horseshoe' at Montrose harbor
> with Dad at 3 AM. The horrible stench of the alewives was easily drowned
> out by the stories Dad told about smelting in his youth.

Must be a hell of a story that would drown out alewives. A Dad worth
keeping, I'd say.

> Thanks for the flashback...

De nada.......flashbacks are free. :)

Wolfgang

Joel *DFD*
November 8th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Caught most all of the fresh water fish mentioned so far.
I've caught Carp on the fly. Dogged fighters.
Noticed that few if any have mentioned Sockeye and
Pink Salmon on the fly. Very exciting.
A few years back I reported in ROFF catching a
Cut/Brown Hybred. Anybody ever get one of those?
Also Boanfish on the fly. Great fun!
Joel

JR
November 8th, 2005, 03:16 AM
_fly-caught_

Rainbow trout (resident and steelhead)
Brown trout
Brook trout
Cutthroat trout (Yellowstone, Lahontan, Westslope, Coastal)
Bull trout
Lake trout
whitefish
Atlantic salmon (landlocked)
bluegill
pumpkinseed
redear sunfish
redbreast sunfish
largemouth bass
smallmouth bass
white crappie
black crappie
yellow perch
tilapia
carp
bonefish
redfish

_Other means_

channel catfish
bullhead
flathead catfish
northern pike
pickerel
walleye
muskie
rock bass
spotted bass
gar
nile perch
white sucker
chub
kingfish
ladyfish
bluefish
sheepshead
white grunt
mermaid
pompano
shad
weakfish
Gulf flounder
mutton snapper
white bass
striped bass
spotted seatrout
yellowtail
stingray
some sort of sal****er catfish, species unknown

bugcaster
November 8th, 2005, 03:36 AM
"JR" > wrote in message ...
> _fly-caught_

I have to get out more!

I'm still waiting to see a fly caught sturgeon listed.

bugcaster

Daniel-San
November 8th, 2005, 04:28 AM
"Wolfgang" wrote ...

> Must be a hell of a story that would drown out alewives. A Dad worth
> keeping, I'd say.

You have no idea. Got lucky in that respect, for sure. We still fish pretty
often, though his Vietnam artillery experience left his shoulders mostly
frozen, so it's pretty much trolling for salmon, etc. in the 'big pond'. And
the every May jaunt to Lake Erie to do our part in the put and take walleye
fishing. Can't let them 'put' without taking, I s'pose....

>> Thanks for the flashback...
>
> De nada.......flashbacks are free. :)

And one of these days, I expect the 'real' flashbacks. Many Dead shows will
do that to ya.

> Wolfgang

Dan

Dave Mohnsen
November 8th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Bugcaster wrote:
> I have to get out more!
> I'm still waiting to see a fly caught sturgeon listed.
> bugcaster

Hmmm . . . I saw a guy hook a "surgeon" once with a fly. Is that close
enough? :) It wasn't a fair catch though. Didn't hook him in the mouth . .
.. just the vest.
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Mike Connor
November 8th, 2005, 12:35 PM
"Peter A. Collin" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
> Mike Connor wrote:
>> Hmmm.... Difficult.
>
>> Dab
>>

> Is that short for something?

No it is a flatfish common in the North Sea

>> Pouting
>> Weaver
>> Gurnard ( Grey and red)
>>

> Never heard of them..... Do you catch weaver on woven body nymphs?

Best to avoid catching them at all, they are extremely poisonous.

I also forgot chub, char, vendace, and dragonet.

TL
MC

rw
November 8th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Mike Connor wrote:
> "Peter A. Collin" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> .. .
>
>>Mike Connor wrote:
>>
>>>Hmmm.... Difficult.
>>
>>>Dab
>>>

>>Is that short for something?
>

> No it is a flatfish common in the North Sea

I suppose they're similar to the Pacific sand dab:

http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/odfw/finfish/sp/pacsanddab.html

They're delicious:

http://www.ochef.com/404.htm

Mike Connor
November 8th, 2005, 01:32 PM
"rw" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<snip>
> I suppose they're similar to the Pacific sand dab:
>
> http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/odfw/finfish/sp/pacsanddab.html
>
> They're delicious:
>
> http://www.ochef.com/404.htm
>
> --

Well, they are similar to the extent that they are flatfish, and delicious,
but the North Sea dab is Limanda limanda
http://www.fishbase.org/images/thumbnails/jpg/tn_Lilim_u0.jpg

The pacific sand dab is Citharichthys sordidus
http://www.fishbase.org/images/thumbnails/jpg/tn_Cisor_u0.jpg

It seems there is a whole host of fish known as dabs

TL
MC

Steve
November 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I caught a Pennsylvania grand slam on a fly once: Brown, brookie,
rainbow and fallfish. On my local trickle, the Dirty Ol' Neshaminy, I'm
shooting for a Lower Bucks grand slam: Rock bass, green sunfish, carp
and fallfish. The local lake has a slam I'm working on, too:
Largemouth, carp, pumpkinseed and pickeral.

On a fly,
Bow, brown and brookie
Carp
Smallmouth, largemouth, white, striped, warmouth and rock bass
Chub, shiner and alewife
Bluefish and weakfish
yellow perch, black and white crappie
vast varieties of sunfish
Steelie (almost)

As a dirty little kid with Uncle Josh's eggs some of the above and:
Dogfish
cutthroat
stingray
sand dab
bullhead
croaker

rw
November 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I just recalled another fish I would occasionally catch in the
Chesapeake Bay: the oyster toadfish.

http://www.fisheries.vims.edu/toadfish.htm

It is without a doubt the ugliest fish I've ever caught.