PDA

View Full Version : Weaver

Mike Connor
November 8th, 2005, 01:46 PM
http://www.castandcatch.com/safety.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11379401&dopt=Abstract

Several species are found around the British Isles, most commonly the
greater and lesser Weaver. They are very poisonous, and the sting is
extremely painful.

TL
MC

GaryM
November 8th, 2005, 02:57 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in
:

> http://www.castandcatch.com/safety.htm
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMe
> d&list_uids=11379401&dopt=Abstract
>
> Several species are found around the British Isles, most commonly
> the greater and lesser Weaver. They are very poisonous, and the
> sting is extremely painful.

I saw Gurnard on your list. Supposed to be very good eating? Eel?
Common or Conger? I once saw a Conger Eel around the seaweed at low off
the County Antrim coast. Kind of a blueish color, IIRC. I was fishing
for Mackerel and try to tease it with strips of bait. No luck.

Mike Connor
November 8th, 2005, 03:07 PM
"GaryM" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
74.103...
<SNIP>
> I saw Gurnard on your list. Supposed to be very good eating? Eel?
> Common or Conger? I once saw a Conger Eel around the seaweed at low off
> the County Antrim coast. Kind of a blueish color, IIRC. I was fishing
> for Mackerel and try to tease it with strips of bait. No luck.

Gurnard are very good to eat. Not many about nowadays though. The eels on
fly were common eels, caught while trout fishing mainly, and once while carp
fishing. It is unusual to catch eels on fly, I assume they took the flies
because there was fish slime on them.

I have caught conger from a boat, using mackerel as bait. I have never heard
of one being caught on a fly, although perhaps they have been taken on
feathers? Any "normal" fly gear would be useless, even for a small conger.
A large one puts up a hell of a fight.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/conger.html

A fish of about 40 lb bit the tip of my right seaboot once, and it was well
nigh impossible to get it off. I was lucky that my toes were not at the tip
of the boot.

TL
MC

Allen Epps
November 9th, 2005, 01:08 AM
In article >,
"Mike Connor" > wrote:

> http://www.castandcatch.com/safety.htm
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids
> =11379401&dopt=Abstract
>
> Several species are found around the British Isles, most commonly the
> greater and lesser Weaver. They are very poisonous, and the sting is
> extremely painful.
>
> TL
> MC

Mike,
Are they sharp enough spined that they can go through gym shoes or
wading socks? Had a neighbor in FL who stepped on a stingray while
scalloping once and was stung through the side of the canvas shoe he was
wearing. Very nasty and took several weeks to recover full use of the
foot

Allen

Mike Connor
November 9th, 2005, 01:29 AM
"Allen Epps" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Mike,
> Are they sharp enough spined that they can go through gym shoes or
> wading socks? Had a neighbor in FL who stepped on a stingray while
> scalloping once and was stung through the side of the canvas shoe he was
> wearing. Very nasty and took several weeks to recover full use of the
> foot
>
> Allen

Normally, sneakers, sandals, or similar, will prevent stings, as the spines
on the fish, although sharp, are not normally strong enough to penetrate
relatively solid shoe soles, they will however penetrate the sides of canvas
shoes etc. They will also penetrate neoprene, and some other things. A long
time ago now, I used to do quite a bit of scuba diving, and one or two
colleagues were stung through their booties, or light "flip-flops". It is
inadvisable to use very light shoes.

The effects of such stings can be fairly dire, although people react in
different ways, and the effects vary considerably. Quite a few people are
stung in Britain every year, most get away with severe pain for a while, and
relatively few after effects. In some places various shop proprietors, first
aid people etc, are aware of the problem, and always have a bucket or bowl
handy. Placing the stung part in very hot water apparently neutralises the
venom to a considerable extent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/news/062001/19/weaver_fish.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/articles/2005/07/21/coast05walks_stage1_feature.shtml

Should a person be allergic to the venom, then this can have serious
consequences, up to and including heart failure, respiratory failure, or
anaphylactic shock.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000844.htm

TL
MC

Wayne Knight
November 10th, 2005, 02:13 AM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in message

> aid people etc, are aware of the problem, and always have a bucket or bowl
> handy. Placing the stung part in very hot water apparently neutralises the
> venom to a considerable extent.

Ice it down good and as soon as possible liberally apply meat tenderizer on
the sting area. Never go sal****er fishing on the southern US coast without
good ole meat tendizer.

Allen Epps
November 10th, 2005, 11:19 PM
In article >,
"Wayne Knight" > wrote:

> "Mike Connor" > wrote in message
>
> > aid people etc, are aware of the problem, and always have a bucket or bowl
> > handy. Placing the stung part in very hot water apparently neutralises the
> > venom to a considerable extent.
>
> Ice it down good and as soon as possible liberally apply meat tenderizer on
> the sting area. Never go sal****er fishing on the southern US coast without
> good ole meat tendizer.

Wayne,
Are you referring to Stingray or jellyfish stings? When I lived in
Pensacola we had both and I read an interesting article in Scientific
America that had studied the Jellyfish sting and they said enough meat
tenderizer would help but that much actually has a chance of giving you
a chemical burn. They found normal White Vinegar was better at
neutralizing the agent in those little spiral needles.

Anyone ever tried it?

Allen

Mike Connor
November 10th, 2005, 11:36 PM
"Allen Epps" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Wayne,
> Are you referring to Stingray or jellyfish stings? When I lived in
> Pensacola we had both and I read an interesting article in Scientific
> America that had studied the Jellyfish sting and they said enough meat
> tenderizer would help but that much actually has a chance of giving you
> a chemical burn. They found normal White Vinegar was better at
> neutralizing the agent in those little spiral needles.
>
> Anyone ever tried it?
>
> Allen

http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/SF_Medicine/StingingMarineLife/StingRays.html

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/pub/seascience/jellyfi.html

http://www.toxinology.com/generic_static_files/cslavh_antivenom_boxjelly.html

http://www.toxinology.com/generic_static_files/cslavh_antivenom.html

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~darrenbarton/id59.htm

For various stinging rays, weaver fish etc hot water is the generally
recommended treatment. For the venom of various other creatures, the above
may be of interest.

Icing stings will remove the burning sensation, simply by cooling, but it
does not apparently neutralise the venom. In cases where fishermen were
stung by rays and weavers, we always used hot water. This was easy to do, as
on the crab boats a tub of boiling water ( for cooking crabs etc) was always
available. Ice would have been hard to obtain in any case.

TL
MC

Wayne Knight
November 11th, 2005, 12:24 AM
"Allen Epps" > wrote in message

> Are you referring to Stingray or jellyfish stings? When I lived in
> Pensacola we had both and I read an interesting article in Scientific
> America that had studied the Jellyfish sting and they said enough meat
> tenderizer would help but that much actually has a chance of giving you
> a chemical burn. They found normal White Vinegar was better at
> neutralizing the agent in those little spiral needles.
>
> Anyone ever tried it?

Alan:

I was referring specifically to stingray encounters but I have seen it used
on jelly fish stings too. Vinegar was also commonly used (bee sting
anyone?). Both of which breakdown the protein. Ice slows it down. I'm not
going to get into a link posting contest with the good brit but those were
the common remedies on the gulf coast. Amd it was in Pensacola that I
learned this.

Guess I should have put two and two together, you being an (ex?) Navy pilot,
naturally you would have been in Pensacola. I was there from 1970 - 1986,
graduated hs, business school, got married there and daughter was born
there. Mother in law still in the area and wife is PO'd that I just turned
down a possible job there. When were you there? And coming to Greenwood for
the holidays, that Vector is softly calling your name <g>.

Allen
November 11th, 2005, 01:40 AM
In article >,
"Wayne Knight" > wrote:

> "Allen Epps" > wrote in message

snipped

> Guess I should have put two and two together, you being an (ex?) Navy pilot,
> naturally you would have been in Pensacola. I was there from 1970 - 1986,
> graduated hs, business school, got married there and daughter was born
> there. Mother in law still in the area and wife is PO'd that I just turned
> down a possible job there. When were you there? And coming to Greenwood for
> the holidays, that Vector is softly calling your name <g>.

Well, I guess ex. My last flight in the fighting drumstick was last year
with 2400 hours, 502 traps and 128 combat missions and I've finished
all my Reserve commitment and as of the end of March I have 20 years. I
got to Pensacola in Nov 86 and left in Dec of 88 to go to Whidbey Island
Wa so looks like we just missed each other. I also found out last year I
had a cousin down there who trains pointers, does field trials and has
access to a bunch of wild quail places. Good thing really as I likely
would have spent a whole lot more time hefting the 101 20 gauge instead
of studying.

My folks decided to do the reverse snowbird thing and bought a place in
FL this fall and plan on doing the reverse and renting a place in Indy
for the summer so I'll get back sometime. My brothers still there. That
vector was sweet and Frank and I drew a whole bunch of stares standing
out in front of the office casting it at 6:30 in the morning. Too soft
for him, about right for me.

Just finished doing eight racks of babybacks on the smoker and heading
off to the farm in Kentucky for deer season.

Allen